HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Should we really be complaining about "boring hockey"?

Old
01-05-2013, 05:34 PM
SnowblindNYR

vCash: 500
Should we really be complaining about "boring hockey"?

So we constantly hear hockey fans lament about the lack of excitement in hockey. So I was listening to an interview with the player for Team USA that scored 2 goals in the gold medal game (I don't remember his name). So they ask him "throw the puck at the net and good things happen"? It struck a nerve because I immediately thought that damn hockey interviews are the worst. They always give you the same boring cliches. Then I thought the problem is not that they give all these cliches, it's what's in the cliches. Take this one I'm referring to. Is it really exciting to watch hockey where teams just throw it at the net and hope for good things to happen? Is that really the way to sell the game? Yet you have hockey intellectuals singing the praises of this hockey approach and THEN signing up on HF and complaining about the boring style of hockey played now. How can you complain about how boring hockey is and then just 2 minutes ago sing the praises of a style of hockey that's unwatchable? Does anyone actually go to a hockey game hoping a player "throws the puck at the net" and the most exciting thing that would happen is a deflection, but more likely a "gorgeous" rebound goal happens, maybe it goes off a skate. That's if a goal DOES even happen. More likely it'll be a point man shooting from the point and it gets blocked or the goalie makes the save and gobbles it up or the D-man clear the front of the net.

Then you have all the hand wringing about players like Kovalev being too pretty with his dangles. Yeah G-d forbid, someone introduces something creative and exciting in the game. Then there's the always favorite "why are they passing the puck???!!!" frantic complaints. Stop with the east/west! Stop passing! Get it on net!

So basically, the NA fan constantly sings the praises of "getting it on net". He constantly complains about the taboo passing. He constantly complains about the taboo dangling. Then he goes and posts on HF about how the St. Louis Blues and New York Rangers are ruining hockey with their boring defensive style. Maybe it's our NA biases of what an offense should look like that's ruining hockey. What exactly is exciting about the get the puck on net and look for rebounds approach?

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 05:45 PM
Schalkenullvier*

you're right, i would like to see more passing. Problem is that whenever things arent going right for a Team, people seem to want them to simplify their game as a solution to all. so if a Team actually tries to play an exciting game, theyllbe slammed much worse than a defensive grinding Team.

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 05:55 PM
SnowblindNYR

I can see in the 3rd period if you're protecting a lead. Especially with 10 minutes to go or so. I don't know about baseball, but in basketball teams play a half court kill the play clock game when they're leading in the 4th quarter and the NFL teams go to the ground. So the NHL playing a defensive simpler game in that situation is to be expected. The problem is the praise for the "get the puck on net" and the taboo of passing and dangling, is about the whole game.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:16 PM
Random Bruins Fan
saveassetsvssaveass

I think am important factor is if it is your team or not, atleast for me. When it is my team (the Boston Bruins or Team Canada) I care most about the result and will take an ugly victory, garbage goal every time. When I am watching the Rangers and Blues play I generally am indifferent to who wins so am more likely to be concerned with the brand of hockey the team play.

Random Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:36 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8th Rounder View Post
I think am important factor is if it is your team or not, atleast for me. When it is my team (the Boston Bruins or Team Canada) I care most about the result and will take an ugly victory, garbage goal every time. When I am watching the Rangers and Blues play I generally am indifferent to who wins so am more likely to be concerned with the brand of hockey the team play.
Well there's a difference between not caring how you win and the bias that I mentioned. The bias I mentioned assumes that ugly hockey is virtuous and pretty European (especially Russian) hockey is taboo.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:46 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 150
You're using the way a player thinks about the game to sway what the FANS think about it...

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:50 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
SIs it really exciting to watch hockey where teams just throw it at the net and hope for good things to happen?
Nope. Hockey played that way is boring, no matter how many (or few) goals are scored.

For a brief moment after the last lockout, the game flourished again. But that has been clamped down - again. I don't think big changes are required to let it blossom again, but there needs to be a commitment to making it so.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:54 PM
Fanned On It

Wtf are you talking about OP... NHL hockey is always exciting... no matter what. And rarely do we ever see teams just "throw the puck on net" throughout an entire game. Sometimes it literally is the best play to make.

Idk... I don't really see why people think hockey is boring nowadays. I love it.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:54 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Jay Feaster View Post
You're using the way a player thinks about the game to sway what the FANS think about it...
You think this is only how the players think? Do you know how often fans ***** about the team not shooting? This is stuff fans say all the time.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:56 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
Wtf are you talking about OP... NHL hockey is always exciting... no matter what. And rarely do we ever see teams just "throw the puck on net" throughout an entire game. Sometimes it literally is the best play to make.

Idk... I don't really see why people think hockey is boring nowadays. I love it.
You constantly see people *****ing about hockey being boring now. Seems like the entire playoffs teams were just throwing the puck at the net the entire game. It often didn't get on net, but that's a different story.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:59 PM
Kershaw

Quote:

really?

Do you remember this game as a Rangers fan?

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:03 PM
Hammer Time

If your team is playing, the thing you want more than anything else is to see a victory. So you don't mind if they're playing "boring" so long as they win.

Hammer Time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:06 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
really?

No, I'm not sure that I saw that game... but what was wrong with it may I ask?

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:12 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
really?

What was wrong with that? I didn't really see any players throwing the puck at the net.

I think the OP might be taking the word throwing a bit to literal. That seems to be the last option for most players.

Fans are fickle. There are a lot of them too.

KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:19 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
No, I'm not sure that I saw that game... but what was wrong with it may I ask?
Zero offensive creativity displayed in the game. It is exactly what the OP stated, shots from the point and players throwing it to the net hoping for miraculous plays. Both teams played well defensively, but it was just a boring game. Shutout by a backup goalie!

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:25 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
What was wrong with that? I didn't really see any players throwing the puck at the net.

I think the OP might be taking the word throwing a bit to literal. That seems to be the last option for most players.

Fans are fickle. There are a lot of them too.
Actually that was the most boring game I can remember. Possibly the most boring game the Rangers were involved since the 08-09 season when we had the worst offensive lineup ever (ok exaggeration but you get the point). Also that was actually a great example of "throwing the puck at the net". The Rangers had like 35 shots, if not more and only 1 of them was anything more than just throwing the puck at the net.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:26 PM
JeffMangum
I'm v

vCash: 50
Quote:
really?

I do.

That game was heartbreaking. Tied 55 mins through and then Woywitka makes a ****** defensive play while Daley skated in and gave the Stars a 1-0 lead. Bachman was good all night, posting a shutout with about 30 saves.

Didn't even watch the highlight video. Then again, I may be the exception to the rule considering I'm like an encyclopedia for the past 5 NHL seasons.

01-05-2013, 10:45 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
I do.

That game was heartbreaking. Tied 55 mins through and then Woywitka makes a ****** defensive play while Daley skated in and gave the Stars a 1-0 lead. Bachman was good all night, posting a shutout with about 30 saves.

Didn't even watch the highlight video. Then again, I may be the exception to the rule considering I'm like an encyclopedia for the past 5 NHL seasons.
Zenith, he made I believe more than 30 saves, but you do realize all saves are not made equal? He made 1 tough save all night (on McDonagh) and it was pretty lucky too.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:05 PM
Auger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8th Rounder View Post
This sums it up. I only care about boring hockey when I'm watching other teams. Now with all the success that these boring teams are having, I doubt that this play style will be gone anytime soon.

Auger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 11:12 PM
JeffMangum
I'm v

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Zenith, he made I believe more than 30 saves, but you do realize all saves are not made equal? He made 1 tough save all night (on McDonagh) and it was pretty lucky too.
Was just making a point.

Still was good, though. 30+ shots and a shutout is a good night either way.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 11:12 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auger View Post
This sums it up. I only care about boring hockey when I'm watching other teams. Now with all the success that these boring teams are having, I doubt that this play style will be gone anytime soon.
Do the fans of your team not complain about too much passing and dangling by your team? If not your fans are certainly different from NYR fans.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:13 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Was just making a point.

Still was good, though. 30+ shots and a shutout is a good night either way.
Well there is something to say for not making mistakes and he didn't.