Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Football
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Football NFL, NCAA, CFL

Te'o GF death a hoax

Old
01-16-2013, 10:26 PM
IceDogsandLeafs

vCash: 500
This is a complete and total sick institution that has decades of moral decadence on their hands. When the PSU story broke, I knew they were weirdos, but I still maintained ND was worse. That place may be the creepiest cult in North America.

IceDogsandLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:28 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH1 View Post
His NFL career doesn't depend on it -- if Ray Lewis, Jerramy Stevens, Ben Roethlisberger, and Donte Stallworth (among many others) could all have successful pro careers after being implicated in serious crimes, then Te'o will find a taker despite being a pathological liar.

That said, his chances of being picked in the top 10 (and getting the fat payday that goes with it) have almost certainly gone out the window.

EDIT: On second thought, your claim that the NFL prides itself on proper player conduct may have been sarcastic. But if it was serious, feel free to take my post seriously as well
Not to mention there's nothing (yet) that suggests Te'o did anything criminal...just highly unethical and stupid.

Some teams will pass on him if they don't want the drama that comes with it, but he'll definitely find a taker in the NFL.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:28 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDogsandLeafs View Post
This is a complete and total sick institution that has decades of moral decadence on their hands. When the PSU story broke, I knew they were weirdos, but I still maintained ND was worse. That place may be the creepiest cult in North America.
Blah blah blah blah

Says the Michigan fan. We get it, you hate ND.

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:31 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Doesn't really prove anything but..

http://collegespun.com/big-east/notr...x#.UPd9i2eb2E8

Ex-Stanford player was asked by Manti if they knew her.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:32 PM
KH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
That's after they were already relatively established in the NFL. IMO, there's going to be too much media scrutiny from the get-go, and as a rookie, it'll be very hard for Te'o to overcome all of that, especially the nature in which all of this has occurred. If you're a teammate of his, how much respect do you give a guy like that?
Actually, Stevens had already been arrested for assault with a deadly weapon, reckless driving, and sexual assault before he was drafted -- didn't stop the Seahawks from trading up to draft him in the first round.

If you can play, teams will pay. The nickname Catfish will probably stick with him forever, but this won't stop Te'o from becoming a pro.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:33 PM
IceDogsandLeafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
Blah blah blah blah

Says the Michigan fan. We get it, you hate ND.
It is about a sick school that will cover anything up to advance their fake morals. I hope Michigan never plays those freaks in any sport again.

IceDogsandLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:40 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Doesn't really prove anything but..

http://collegespun.com/big-east/notr...x#.UPd9i2eb2E8

Ex-Stanford player was asked by Manti if they knew her.
I'm starting to think it started as a dupe, but he decided to go along with it when he figured it out...which is really bizarre. The question then is why keep the ruse up, why end it, and then why go to ND about it when they claim he did?

Old
01-16-2013, 10:41 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDogsandLeafs View Post
It is about a sick school that will cover anything up to advance their fake morals. I hope Michigan never plays those freaks in any sport again.
You gave yourself away again dude. You're going to bad mouth ND all the way to the finish line.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:44 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
I'm starting to think it started as a dupe, but he decided to go along with it when he figured it out...which is really bizarre. The question then is why keep the ruse up, why end it, and then why go to ND about it when they claim he did?
I don't think he went along with it if he figured it out. If he was duped, he was truly dumb enough to believe it. If he hoaxed it he hoaxed it.

I don't see him saying all these things to continue a painful process of faking your dead girlfriend if you actually felt for her and was duped in the first place

Unless he is too embarassed to admit he had an "online girlfriend", which is a possibility but after awhile it must be exhausting.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:53 PM
Carlzner

He was not duped. There is no way that happened.

He has said they've met in person, as have others (who never ACTUALLY saw them together, but they're going off of Manti telling them .. I'm assuming)

There is absolutely no way he was duped if HE SAID THEY MET. Regardless of all the other stuff like him asking a Stanford player whether they'd seen her (which doesn't prove ****) or him not going to her funeral, etc... at the end, he claims to have met her, and to have spent time with her in Hawaii, and because of his PERSONAL claims, there is no way he was duped. End of story.

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:54 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
I don't think he went along with it if he figured it out. If he was duped, he was truly dumb enough to believe it. If he hoaxed it he hoaxed it.

I don't see him saying all these things to continue a painful process of faking your dead girlfriend if you actually felt for her and was duped in the first place

Unless he is too embarassed to admit he had an "online girlfriend", which is a possibility but after awhile it must be exhausting.
Which is why he killed her off

Old
01-16-2013, 10:57 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Um, what?

I said it would be tiring and exhausting keeping up with a fake girlfriend after she's "dead" and announced to the media. If he didn't want the hassle, he just would've "broke up with her"

Old
01-16-2013, 10:58 PM
Nabokov20
Karlsson for Chuck

vCash: 1031
Quote:
beats "breaking up" with "her" that's for sure

i guess there's still hope for investigative journalism after all

edit: @BradD because then someone would surely go search for a quote/story from her concerning Manti...one would think at least. either way, it never happened.

Nabokov20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:59 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

I'm not saying he was duped or not, I'm actually really concerned in this controversy.

All I said was there is no way he found out before that he was "duped" and "killed her off" and announced it to the world. That is too much of a hassle to do that.

Either he's duped or he's a hoax. There is NO in between.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:59 PM
Gibsons Finest
R-E-L-A-X

Don't be so sure this won't affect his draft placement, either. Yes, the NFL has turned a blind eye to crimes in the past, but for certain things, that seems to be the culture. Things like assault, drunk driving, etc. But then you look at a guy like Tony Washington, who wasn't even given one NFL look because of his situation, and it's clear that some scenarios are deemed too much. Te'o's ordeal here definitely could be the latter, where it's too weird and alienating for some teams.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:01 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Swarbrick said that Te'o was contacted while in Orlando, Fla., for a Dec. 6 college football awards show from a phone number he associated with the woman he knew as Lennay Kekua.

"When he answered it, the person sounded like the same voice he had talked to, who told him that she was in fact not dead," Swarbrick said. "Manti was very unnerved as you might imagine."
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,5323361.story

Quote:
Brian Hamilton @ChiTribHamilton
Manti Te'o on 12/8, 2 days after hoaxers call again: "I don't like cancer at all. I lost both my grandparents and my girlfriend to cancer."
Quote:
Brian Hamilton @ChiTribHamilton
That last quote is from Manti Te'o pre-Heisman media availability. Just going back over the tape now.
https://twitter.com/ChiTribHamilton

The **** has already hit the fan, might be better to just come clean rather than burying himself even more. Saying he was embarrassed to come clean so he kept the lie going isn't going to work.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:02 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

I don't see him being taken past the early 2nd round.

I highly doubt any team will take him now even the late 1st. It's funny or sad (depending on what happened) because he was a top 10 pick according to Kiper and now he's not even close.

The pay is totally different from 1st to bumping into the 2nd.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:04 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,5323361.story

https://twitter.com/ChiTribHamilton

The **** has already hit the fan, might be better to just come clean rather than burying himself even more. Saying he was embarrassed to come clean so he kept the lie going isn't going to work.
At that point, assuming he did indeed notify the school when they say (and they aren't making **** up and being complicit in the whole matter...which cannot be rules out sadly), it is possible that they told him to maintain the lie in public while they "sort things out".

Old
01-16-2013, 11:04 PM
BPR*

Quote:
He was not duped. There is no way that happened.

He has said they've met in person, as have others (who never ACTUALLY saw them together, but they're going off of Manti telling them .. I'm assuming)

There is absolutely no way he was duped if HE SAID THEY MET. Regardless of all the other stuff like him asking a Stanford player whether they'd seen her (which doesn't prove ****) or him not going to her funeral, etc... at the end, he claims to have met her, and to have spent time with her in Hawaii, and because of his PERSONAL claims, there is no way he was duped. End of story.
Lying about specific details doesn't prove that he lied about the entire thing.

BPR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:07 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ryan Getzlaf View Post
Don't be so sure this won't affect his draft placement, either. Yes, the NFL has turned a blind eye to crimes in the past, but for certain things, that seems to be the culture. Things like assault, drunk driving, etc. But then you look at a guy like Tony Washington, who wasn't even given one NFL look because of his situation, and it's clear that some scenarios are deemed too much. Te'o's ordeal here definitely could be the latter, where it's too weird and alienating for some teams.
It will depend on who will want to deal with tie circus. If he somehow ends up with the Eagles, they did a very good job of suppressing Michael Vick's dogfighting conviction with the fact that Michael Vick is a terrible quarterback.

I asked why Notre Dame didn't say anything when they knew 3 weeks ago. Guess we saw why.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:13 PM
ComrieFanatic

Everything about this story leads me to believe that Te'O was somehow involved. I don't know how and I don't know why, but there's too much backstory for him to be completely innocent. And as I sit here, I really don't understand what he had to gain from this whole thing.

I can sort of see how it created an image of this guy who was playing through adversity and he rose to the occasion even with family and loved ones dying, but did it really help his draft stock? Some people have claimed he is trying to hide the fact that he is gay, but a star of the ND football team doesn't have to create a GF to hide his sexuality -he can easily find a "cover" on campus. Finally, the timing of this is pretty fishy. The AD made it pretty clear that Te'O came forward about this hoax on Jan 5, two days before the BCS game. Is Te'o trying to cover up his poor performance by saying he was distracted?

ComrieFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:13 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

Te'o Asking someone about her doesn't necessarily mean he was duped, there are so many weird things about this story that him being a very weird liar would be the least of them.

I'm highly skeptical about anything going Te'o's way in this case. I may be blinded by disgust but the burden in proving that he's a decent member of society is on him, not me.

Concordski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:16 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
Everyone read this guys Twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/justinrmegahan

Don't worry about the media, guys. Let us kids on Twitter do the work

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:17 PM
CNS
A World Alone

As a Michigan fan, I find it ****ing hysterical that Ohio State, Penn State, and now Notre Dame have been the centers of controversy over the past few years. Hate all those schools.

That being said, I'm jumping on the "he's gay" bandwagon. Too much points to that being the logical explanation in my mind.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:18 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Everyone read this guys Twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/justinrmegahan

Don't worry about the media, guys. Let us kids on Twitter do the work
Oh man, there's the ace in the hole.

https://twitter.com/jayRahz/status/278973792544505858

Quote:
@ceeweezy51 and if it starts raining imma sell you out and say you're Lennay Kekua lol
December 12th

Edit: Nevermind this just makes it all the more confusing. Now it looks like a hoax on Manti based off of those tweets..