Old
01-17-2013, 10:55 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGooooch View Post
He got catfished
There is like zero evidence supporting just this.

As far as NFL goes:

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout
NFL exec. this morning, "We'll draft criminals, but lie to my face and you're off our board." Some don't believe Te'o's story.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:58 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
At this point the evidence is strongly against Teo

I find it hard to believe a guy would not meet his GF or attend the funeral of the "Love of his life"

Not to mention the odd denials of requests to talk to her family ,, He was in on it

Last edited by Blackhawkswincup: 01-17-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:03 AM
Extra Texture
Slurpy in the house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Fehr View Post
Man, it would've been nice if Notre Dame was as aggressive in their investigations when one of their football players was ****** Lizzy Seeberg as they are when one of their football players is crying over a fake girlfriend
AMEN TO THAT. As soon as this story happened I thought of that incident, as well as the death of the student taping practice, and realized bad publicity must not mean much when you're dealing with some nobody rather than a big football star. But at least this situation is just a bruised rep, rather than a kid who is dead and wont be coming home.

Its not just ND that disgusts me over this, its the whole mindset behind the sanctity of a football program that they would go the extra mile to bury the truth. I know not every school would stand for this, but the fact that such a pathetic hoax would continue for so long in the national spotlight makes me wonder what else is going on out there unreported.

Extra Texture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:10 AM
Extra Texture
Slurpy in the house

Oh and as far as the Deadspin thing goes, I have to give them a huge hand for exposing this whole thing with some excellent investigative work. I already look to them for most big stories in sports, both for reporting and analysis, so I am glad they can further their credentials off this.

My opinion of ESPN and most sports reporters couldnt get much lower, and this just further reinforces the argument against them. Just a bunch of entertainment hacks too busy sniffing for stories about Tebow, LeBron, or the Jets to even do the basic research on a story. I guess Wojciechowski tried to and was duped, but its shocking that this was the closest it came to coming out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
This is about as convincing as Penn St.'s initial press conference post-Sandusky news.

This is pathetic.

That was painfully embarrassing to watch. The tears thing at the end really was the coup d'grace. "The real tragedy is the most trusting and caring individual I know will never trust again".

No, you six-figure joker, this is not a tragedy, ffs. I find it galling that someone would exhibit this kind of emotion when real tragedies HAVE happened around this program the last few years.

Last edited by Extra Texture: 01-17-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Extra Texture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:24 AM
Bruv
to here knows when

looks like we may get a catfish episode on this

can't wait

Bruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:32 AM
William H Bonney

Bruce Feldman just retweeted that Te'o called off his ESPN interview today.....

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:39 AM
Francesa

That is disappointed to hear. Was interested in what he had to say

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:41 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Bruce Feldman just retweeted that Te'o called off his ESPN interview today.....
Quite frankly I was surprised to hear that he was giving an interview so soon after the news broke. Usually people like to go in hiding, get their story 100% straight, and then do an interview. Most people would release a carefully worded statement (like he did), and leave it at that for a while.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:46 AM
Francesa

http://twitter.com/BFeldmanCBS/statu...49572966715392
Quote:
The longer Te'o waits to try & answer some of this, the worse the perception is bc most ppl will suspect he & handlers are "crafting" story

Old
01-17-2013, 11:47 AM
Tomas Sandstrom 28

I can't take credit for this, but

"Manti Te'o wasn't missing tackles in the National Championship game, he was just hugging his girlfriend"

Tomas Sandstrom 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:56 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Hearing on area radio that ND officials telling anyone involved with program if they speak to press they wont work for ND again (TMZ also picking this up)

They are tying to end all leaks/quotes coming from program

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:10 PM
Francesa

Parallels to The Wire Season 5 are amazing

Old
01-17-2013, 12:24 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extra Texture View Post
Oh and as far as the Deadspin thing goes, I have to give them a huge hand for exposing this whole thing with some excellent investigative work. I already look to them for most big stories in sports, both for reporting and analysis, so I am glad they can further their credentials off this.

My opinion of ESPN and most sports reporters couldnt get much lower, and this just further reinforces the argument against them. Just a bunch of entertainment hacks too busy sniffing for stories about Tebow, LeBron, or the Jets to even do the basic research on a story. I guess Wojciechowski tried to and was duped, but its shocking that this was the closest it came to coming out.

That was painfully embarrassing to watch. The tears thing at the end really was the coup d'grace. "The real tragedy is the most trusting and caring individual I know will never trust again".

No, you six-figure joker, this is not a tragedy, ffs. I find it galling that someone would exhibit this kind of emotion when real tragedies HAVE happened around this program the last few years.
From what I read, ESPN knew about it for almost two weeks but the sources weren't good enough, whereas deadspin might not really care. Something akin to Eklund breaking something over TSN, even though they likely knew about it prior and couldn't confirm.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:28 PM
Pens1566

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ryan Getzlaf View Post
From what I read, ESPN knew about it for almost two weeks but the sources weren't good enough, whereas deadspin might not really care. Something akin to Eklund breaking something over TSN, even though they likely knew about it prior and couldn't confirm.
Deadspin editor on MSNBC this morning said they got wind of the story late last week. Something like 5 days before they broke it. ESPN has had it since around xmas I think. Put me in the camp that ESPN didn't want to confirm it, given how stupid it would make them look.

Pens1566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:41 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudi View Post
looks like we may get a catfish episode on this

can't wait
Or better yet, a South Park episode!

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:48 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:49 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I don't know the details of this story too well to comment on whether or not he was -in- on it or not.

However, when I was younger, I used to go on role-playing communities (similar to Lord of the Rings/ Dungeons & Dragons) and people would develop relationships with one another there. One particular story I remember is a girl who changed her schools, got ready to move in with this guy, and then he faked his own death. It's really not as uncommon as we might think.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:01 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Yeah I didn't want to admit it but I was good friends with a girl in high school for several years and we "dated" for 1 year. I can see how it happens.

But to ignore this, it's like whaaat. Makes me think if he actually knew or not:

http://everyfacetofthegame.blogspot....catfished.html

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:17 PM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
Yeah I didn't want to admit it but I was good friends with a girl in high school for several years and we "dated" for 1 year. I can see how it happens.

But to ignore this, it's like whaaat. Makes me think if he actually knew or not:

http://everyfacetofthegame.blogspot....catfished.html
ya that's some weird exchanges...makes me think he wasn't in on it but who knows..

did Manti know these people

CantHaveTkachev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:35 PM
mizzoublues29
Unregistered User

Deadspin now reporting some teammate's reactions...which is exactly what I've been waiting for.

He's in deep ****. His own teammates admitted to him moving the story along for publicity.

mizzoublues29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:00 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

I always find it funny how people try to tie religion into stories that don't have anything to do with it. I guess that's the cool thing to do these days, am I right?

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:07 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
I always find it funny how people try to tie religion into stories that don't have anything to do with it. I guess that's the cool thing to do these days, am I right?
Yup, some guy even tweeted insulting comments about the Christian faith to be funny. Apparently he's a comedian but seriously?

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:14 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
Yup, some guy even tweeted insulting comments about the Christian faith to be funny. Apparently he's a comedian but seriously?
Mormons are awkward when it comes to girls and all that, especially the devout ones. It's just the way the religion is. Nothing wrong with it. To the outsider, familiar with hearing about jersey chasers and wild parties, Te'o really stands out. It doesn't really surprise me that he had an imaginary girlfriend if he is really devout as a Mormon. That sort of religious commitment really doesn't jive with college or football culture. I will just chalk it up to him being embarrassed about it, unless it comes out that it was purely for publicity. He would be screwed then.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:17 PM
mizzoublues29
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Mormons are awkward when it comes to girls and all that, especially the devout ones. It's just the way the religion is. Nothing wrong with it. To the outsider, familiar with hearing about jersey chasers and wild parties, Te'o really stands out. It doesn't really surprise me that he had an imaginary girlfriend if he is really devout as a Mormon. That sort of religious commitment really doesn't jive with college or football culture. I will just chalk it up to him being embarrassed about it, unless it comes out that it was purely for publicity. He would be screwed then.
With regards to the jersey chasers and wild parties....he doesn't exactly have a clean record. I have quite a few friends who are and were students at ND, and they have all consistently said the same things....

mizzoublues29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:22 PM
BPR*

Just read an article from a Notre Dane student that it is quite well know around campus that Te'o had been involved with many girls, which would seem to rule out the gay theory. Maybe he started talking to an attractive girl online, nothing too serious just hoping they'd meet up someday. She "died" and he significantly overstated the relationship to garner sympathy. Still makes him a ******* based on how over the top everything got, but not nearly as bad as the worst people are assuming about him.
That's where I'm at at this point. Te'o was obviously lying somewhere, but I still don't think he was the one who made her up and killed her off.

BPR* is offline   Reply With Quote