HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beginner Lesson Learned Buying Skates

Old
01-05-2013, 04:32 PM
WeakTalocrural

vCash: 500
Beginner Lesson Learned Buying Skates

I know for the most part, a lot of this post is common sense. But wanted to post it for people just getting into the sport so they don't make the same mistakes I made.

Long story short...I started ice skating again this year after being off skates for about 25 years. I used to play pond hockey with my friends when I was around 12. My friend let me use his old Supreme Custom 2000's which were a size 11D. They seemed to fit good, but were a little tight on the middle of my flat foot. So, I got Vapor X2.0's for Christmas in a size 11EE. I did not do much research, and thought the same size as the Supreme's would be fine and the EE would help my flat foot. After skating just one public skate session, I was falling all over the place and this is what my feet looked like.

(Warning...nasty blisters and smelly feet in pic)
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h7...psd990e648.jpg

After reading post on here, and doing more research I went to a local skate shop and got fitted correctly. I went from a 11EE to a 9D which fits like a glove. Got them baked and went to a public skate today. Even with the blisters still not fully healed, the skates felt amazing. I went with a left over pair of Bauer Flexfit 3.0's which fit my foot the best.

Moral of story: try on as many different types of skates the store will allow, your shoe size (mine is an 11) is not the same as skate size, get the skate fitted correctly, and support your local skate shop. They were extremely helpful.

Cheers,
Eric

WeakTalocrural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 06:29 PM
AIREAYE

Excellent, glad it all worked out for you!

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:46 PM
rbarker26

imo, skates are the most important piece of equipment, so its vital to do your research and get fitted correctly. glad your skates fit!

rbarker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 11:59 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
yeah, I tried on a couple different sizes. I don't have a very wide foot as I have no problem fitting most women's shoes(I maybe fall between a C and D), anyways I tried a EE too and it wasn;t a bad fit. Everything I tried on was a 7, and finally the last pair seem to fit best. Turned out they were mislabelled and were actually a 7.5. None of the others felt bad lengthwise, this one just seemed better and more comfortable in the footbed. I'll be on the ice in 6 days, and my previous pair were leather boot Super tacks I bought in the late 80's or early 90's.So I'm a little nervous about going to the syntheic boot, and Easton synergy but it seemed to fit better. Now I just have to bring mini mitts(I also have a lace hook) so I can lace them without ripping up my hands. Much more difficult to lace this boot.
My first game should be comical.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:15 PM
teal

IMO skates are make or break. I started taking learn-to-play classes and got "okay" skates for $100 new, a low-end Bauer model, and then found a much much higher end model on deep discount, and it has made THE biggest difference. I was told I could have broken my ankle playing in my original skates.

Nice blisters.

teal is offline   Reply With Quote