HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hodgson Trade Revisited

Old
01-05-2013, 06:08 PM
drinking bleach irl
don't be so serious

vCash: 436
Hodgson Trade Revisited

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=412812

Quote:
Canucks general manager Mike Gillis has painted Hodgson, Vancouver's first-round choice (10th overall) in 2008, as an unhappy player who did not want to play on the West Coast. At times, Hodgson, who was dealt to the Buffalo Sabres just before the trade deadline closed last spring, has indicated otherwise, or chosen not to talk about his controversial departure.

He did not want to revisit reports that he wanted out.

"I try not to look back as much as possible," said the 22-year-old, who recorded a combined 19 goals and 25 assists with the Canucks and Sabres last season.

"I'm here with the Rochester Americans and Buffalo Sabre organization now. I haven't really looked back on it, to tell you the truth. I really appreciate my time here, the people. The fans always treated me really well."

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 06:17 PM

vCash: 500
I still think he will be a legit #1 center for us.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 06:32 PM
DJN21

He and ennis reminded me so much of Drury and Briere potential...now with girg and grig I just dont know what to think lol. I honestly see ennis back at wing before all is said and done but I salivate at the thought of

Poms-Grig-Vanek?
Armia-Hodgson-Ennis
Stafford-Girgs-Foligno
^talk about depth not to mention gerbe,kaleta,tropp and a slew of potential bottom 6 possibilities. Going forward our top 9 looks balanced, deep, and has a plethroa of players with different styles...

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 06:36 PM
slip

Good job Cody. Say nothing. Leave that **** behind. Start over and move forward.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 06:52 PM
sabresandcanucks

Hodgson is built like Henrik Sedin...and he thinks the game just as well...the problem is, it may just take him the same amount of time before he breaks out as a major offensive contributor.

Still glad we got him, and still think Kassian can be a good fit in Vancouver.

sabresandcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 07:09 PM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresandcanucks View Post
Hodgson is built like Henrik Sedin...and he thinks the game just as well...the problem is, it may just take him the same amount of time before he breaks out as a major offensive contributor.

Still glad we got him, and still think Kassian can be a good fit in Vancouver.
agreed(though Idt I'll ever put a sedin and cody in the same category)...i think Cody was overkill of what Van already had, whereas a guy like Kassian is exactly what they needed to compete come playoff time.

I will say as a disclaimer that I dont ever see Kassian turning into Lucic's-light like many people once thought. I dont see him potting 30 nhl goals ever. I was sky high on him for the longest time but after watching him in Rochester I completely soured on him being any more than Ryan Malone junior.

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:26 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
Good job Cody. Say nothing. Leave that **** behind. Start over and move forward.
agreed. I still wish they could have got a center another route but my gut tells me in two to three years I was wrong....

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:40 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

His responses to this situation have been more professional than AV and Gillis combined.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:45 PM
Disengage

This is going to work out as a steal for our side. Hodgson will likely work out as a 2nd line center (or better) and Sulzer has been serviceable on the blue line. When Kassian plays his best, he can be a 2nd liner but he rarely hit that level in Buffalo and Rochester. Gragnani played poorly enough to not get a qualifying offer.

Disengage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:32 AM
cybresabre
Zemgus!

vCash: 723
Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Quote:
Hodgson, who is on a two-way, entry-level deal that allowed him to be sent to the minors during the NHL lockout, was dealt for winger Zack Kassian and defenceman Marc-Andre Gragnini, who was subsequently released by the Canucks and signed as a free agent with the Carolina Hurricanes. Defenceman Alexander Sulzer also went to the Sabres.
"Gragnini," eh, TSN?

cybresabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:29 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybresabre View Post
"Gragnini," eh, TSN?

I can't wait to watch him fail down here for the Canes..

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:43 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
His responses to this situation have been more professional than AV and Gillis combined.
It's incredible how pissy they've been. Whereas Hodgson has consistently taken the high road.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:55 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Still think this is a good trade for both teams and both players are going to take several years to really start putting their full potential together. Still think Buffalo wins out in terms of pure value.

Sulzer-Grags was technically a second trade IIRC and either way though it's obvious we won it, I have the feeling that there was a fair amount of luck involved in Sulzer turning out so (modestly) well for us, rather than Darcy thinking he found a gem at the time. Moving Grags was a necessity so that Lindy would stop playing the guy.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:09 PM
LGBuffalo

I think this trade was fantastic for Buffalo has Hodgson is exactly what the organization needed. What really pleases me though is how well Sulzer played down the stretch. I don't think many people predicted that and that portion of the trade really paid immediate dividends.

LGBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:56 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Still think this is a good trade for both teams and both players are going to take several years to really start putting their full potential together. Still think Buffalo wins out in terms of pure value.
It is good for both teams. Win-win trades create positive, long-term relations between organizations and increase the odds of similar trades in the future. It's good to have a trade partner who wants to dance, and Regier/Gillis seem to have that.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:09 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
It is good for both teams. Win-win trades create positive, long-term relations between organizations and increase the odds of similar trades in the future. It's good to have a trade partner who wants to dance, and Regier/Gillis seem to have that.
Kesler for Leino

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:20 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Kesler for Leino
and the Canucks throw in a 2nd, done deal

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:24 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Kesler for Leino
Don't laugh too hard.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=412929

Quote:
While NHL players prepare for the upcoming shortened NHL season, Vancouver Canucks forward Ryan Kesler says there is no timeframe for his return.

Kesler, 28, underwent surgery on his left shoulder in May and a left wrist operation in late June but his recovery has been slower than anticipated.

"Our goal for Ryan is that he's able to play the next 10 years, not the next two months," Kesler's agent Kurt Overhardt said. "We are working with the club closely on his recovery and we are all on the same page."
Kesler has been battered the last two seasons.

and yes I would still trade Leino for him. So I guess you can still laugh

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote