HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

Bill O'Reilly: Asians Aren't 'By Nature' Liberal ???

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-05-2013, 07:04 PM
  #1
Wetcoaster
Registered User
 
Wetcoaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 53,123
vCash: 500
Bill O'Reilly: Asians Aren't 'By Nature' Liberal ???

Bill O'Reilly with yet another foray into analyzing race relations and leaving no stereotype unexplored. Video at the link:

Per Tim Kenneally at The Wrap:
Bill O'Reilly has once again demonstrated his mastery of race relations. O'Reilly, who opined in November that black and Hispanic voters cast their ballots for President Obama because they "want stuff" from the government, took a crack at explaining the nature of Asian people -- and somehow found room in his mouth for the other foot -- during Wednesday night's edition of "The O'Reilly Factor" on the Fox News Channel. Also read: "It's Not a Traditional America Anymore... The White Establishment Is Now a Minority" (Video) Speaking with Fox News producer Jesse Watters about the social ills facing Hawaii -- homelessness, addiction, debt -- O'Reilly marveled at how the state could face such woes, given its large Asian population. After suggesting that Hawaii's problems are due to lax drug-law enforcement, O'Reilly let drop with this little gem:
"But you know what's shocking? Thirty-five percent of the Hawaiian population is Asian, and Asian people are not liberal, you know, by nature. They're more industrious and hard-working."
We'll let Asians and liberals fight it out over who should be more offended by O'Reilly's generalization. In the meantime, watch Professor Bill break it all down for everyone in the video.

Truly double face palm worthy, eh?

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 07:07 PM
  #2
Garo
Registered User
 
Garo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montréal
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,329
vCash: 500
If he had said by socialization, I might have agreed with him. To a point.

But by nature?!

Garo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 07:44 PM
  #3
Kestrel
Registered User
 
Kestrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
O'Reilly, who opined in November that black and Hispanic voters cast their ballots for President Obama because they "want stuff" from the government...
Isn't that why most people vote for their president of choice? I'm sure he means "they voted for him because they want handouts" but most people who vote tend to cast their vote the way they do because they feel the person they are voting for will improve their lives in relation to what the competition would do.

I've heard O'Reilly's name, but I'm not familiar with him really - is most of his stuff this bad?

Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 07:47 PM
  #4
Kadri43
Registered User
 
Kadri43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: noneofyourbusiness
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
If he had said by socialization, I might have agreed with him. To a point.

But by nature?!
Ya you can definitely be socialized into a certain belief.

However what did he mean by nature. Do the asian population have an extra chromosone that is "by nature" not liberal?

Kadri43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:23 PM
  #5
Wetcoaster
Registered User
 
Wetcoaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 53,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadri43 View Post
Ya you can definitely be socialized into a certain belief.

However what did he mean by nature. Do the asian population have an extra chromosone that is "by nature" not liberal?
I guess they carry that dreaded "C" chromosome that compels them to be conservative.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:33 PM
  #6
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW
 
Concordski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 6,153
vCash: 663
Jews?

Concordski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:53 PM
  #7
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan
 
Helton4Hall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Storming the Gates
Country: South Korea
Posts: 17,864
vCash: 69
I love the way bill stereotypes everyone.

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:57 PM
  #8
Wetcoaster
Registered User
 
Wetcoaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 53,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Jones View Post
I love the way bill stereotypes everyone.
Model minority strereotyping.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_m...y_stereotyping

Like this comment when O'Reilly was talking about Sylvia's, the world-famous Harlem eatery:

"I couldn't get over the fact that...it was exactly the same [as any other NYC restaurant], even though it's run black, [with a] primarily black patronship." In a culture "dominated by Twista, Ludacris, and Snoop Dogg," noted O'Reilly, "white America" would be surprised to know that "there wasn't one person in Sylvia's who was screaming, 'M-Fer, I want more iced tea.'"


Last edited by Wetcoaster: 01-05-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 11:17 PM
  #9
Sevanston
Moderator
 
Sevanston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 9,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Model minority strereotyping.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_m...y_stereotyping

Like this comment when O'Reilly was talking about Sylvia's, the world-famous Harlem eatery:

"I couldn't get over the fact that...it was exactly the same [as any other NYC restaurant], even though it's run black, [with a] primarily black patronship." In a culture "dominated by Twista, Ludacris, and Snoop Dogg," noted O'Reilly, "white America" would be surprised to know that "there wasn't one person in Sylvia's who was screaming, 'M-Fer, I want more iced tea.'"
It was honestly the dumbest and most out of touch thing Bill has ever said.

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 11:27 PM
  #10
Led Zappa
Steady As She Goes
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 31,732
vCash: 500
You can't explain that.

__________________

There’s a lot of things wrong with this country, but one of the few things still right with it is that a man can steer clear of the organized ******** if he really wants to. It’s a goddamned luxury, and if I were you, I’d take advantage of it while you can.
-- Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 11:33 PM
  #11
Wetcoaster
Registered User
 
Wetcoaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 53,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
It was honestly the dumbest and most out of touch thing Bill has ever said.
I am unsure, there are so many like:

"No organization in America enables terrorism as much as the ACLU."

"I have to pick on the ACLU because they're the most dangerous organization in the United States of America right now. There's nobody even close to that. They're, like, second next to Al Qaeda."

"In fact, the biggest boost to the jihadists in America comes from the committed left-wing press."

"Ah, Sweden, a country of nine million people enjoying, perhaps, the most "progressive" political system on earth. The quasi-socialistic government provides cradle-to-grave entitlements, most people never get married, and just about anything goes socially. By the way, about 85% of Swedes do not believe in God."

"I just wish Katrina had only hit the United Nations building, nothing else, just had flooded them out. And I wouldn't have rescued them."

"When you call us, ladies and gentlemen, just so you know, we do have your phone number, and if you say anything untoward, obscene, or anything like that, Fox security will then contact your local authorities, and you will be held accountable."

And advice for homosexuals... "Americans will respect your beliefs if you just keep them private. Keep it private."

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:59 AM
  #12
Rizer
Registered dissident
 
Rizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,856
vCash: 500
Who cares what this man says? He's not relevant in any aspect of society. This is the same guy who claimed god must exist because TIDE GOES IN, TIDE GOES OUT. CAN'T EXPLAIN THAT!

Seriously. Who cares about this guy?

Rizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:08 AM
  #13
Doppler Drift
Registered User
 
Doppler Drift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,849
vCash: 500
Maybe Mel Brooks was onto something with the Irish?


Doppler Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:19 AM
  #14
Everlasting
Registered User
 
Everlasting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Somwhere in time
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,044
vCash: 807
Is he trying to say that human beings dont have a free will, and that diffrent races have diffrent political stances by nature?

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:16 AM
  #15
ddawg1950
Registered User
 
ddawg1950's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
Is he trying to say that human beings dont have a free will, and that diffrent races have diffrent political stances by nature?
Was more a case of he didn't know how to spell inscrutable.

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:25 AM
  #16
slip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,983
vCash: 500
Without Bill O'Reilly, there would be no Stephen Colbert.

And that alone is reason enough for his existence.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:36 AM
  #17
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American
 
Ilkka Sinisalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Perth, W.A.
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,925
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
It was honestly the dumbest and most out of touch thing Bill has ever said.
I'm amazed that a public figure would say something that bigoted and not stop himself.

Ilkka Sinisalo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:38 AM
  #18
slip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,983
vCash: 500
A point of clarification: was it a loofa, or a falafel?

edit: it was a loofa!:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/file/or...s-suit?page=15

Some exclusive footage of Bill meeting with staff before The Factor:


slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:34 AM
  #19
Wetcoaster
Registered User
 
Wetcoaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 53,123
vCash: 500
I saw a great comment in response...

Bill O'Reilly isn't a conservative idiot "by nature" - he just works at it really really hard and has achieved his goal.


Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:42 AM
  #20
TasteofFlames
Registered User
 
TasteofFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Athens, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkka Sinisalo View Post
I'm amazed that a public figure would say something that bigoted and not stop himself.
Not really. O'Reilly took a bit of a hit on ratings after the election (though not as bad as Sean Hannity, who has lost in the neighborhood of half his viewership), so he's had to pull out some of the old tricks to get his viewers back. TBH, he probably "meant" liberals are so lazy that they have managed to corrupt a culturally industrious people (which is still ridiculous), but it's aimed more as a shot at the left. The overt racism is just an easy way to couch an argument for his demographics. Saying stupid **** ("tide goes in, tide goes out, you can't explain that" "Christianity is not a religion. It's a philosophy.") is how he connects to his audience and it's what has made him all kinds of money.

TasteofFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:09 PM
  #21
Led Zappa
Steady As She Goes
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 31,732
vCash: 500
Like what happened to Dobbs quite a few years back, BillO has gotten old and can't quite keep himself from saying some of the things he's believed all along.

Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:11 PM
  #22
Wetcoaster
Registered User
 
Wetcoaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 53,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Like what happened to Dobbs quite a few years back, BillO has gotten old and can't quite keep himself from saying some of the things he's believed all along.
The Mitt Romney Syndrome?

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:45 PM
  #23
JMiller
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Watertown
Posts: 12,263
vCash: 500
Aren't there a few communists in Asia?

JMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:10 PM
  #24
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Hasbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Rectangle
Country: Sami
Posts: 28,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
Aren't there a few communists in Asia?
A few.

Japan also has socialized medicine and strict gun control.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:12 PM
  #25
Wetcoaster
Registered User
 
Wetcoaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 53,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
Aren't there a few communists in Asia?
Yes but those are right wing conservative communists.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.