HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Best and worst Beers 2

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2013, 01:41 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Dave, is brewing an IPA pretty much the same as brewing your own beer of any other kind?
Hopefully, it's my first shot at one

But no seriously, the schedule is about the same, just possible differences in hop adding times and quantities.

Old
01-11-2013, 01:47 PM
RayP

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Hopefully, it's my first shot at one

But no seriously, the schedule is about the same, just possible differences in hop adding times and quantities.
Gotcha... Had so many great IPAs in Chicago that I want to now try my own. We have some great beers down here, but nowhere near as many great IPAs. Might have to shop around for a IPA home brewing kit.

Old
01-11-2013, 02:02 PM
Diskothek

vCash: 500
Had a couple pints of Berkshire Cabin Fever Ale last night, delicious. Might be my favorite new winter beer that I've tried this season.

Old
01-11-2013, 03:22 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Gotcha... Had so many great IPAs in Chicago that I want to now try my own. We have some great beers down here, but nowhere near as many great IPAs. Might have to shop around for a IPA home brewing kit.
Yeah I'm a big fan of the midwestern style IPA. Nothing wrong with the west coast hop bombs, but there's a reason that Ruination is my favorite of those that I've had... it's nuanced. The east coast stuff is closer to the traditional British IPA for the most part IMO, which is great but doesn't have the impact of other American IPAs. The midwest stuff gets it, it's almost like a blend of both worlds with the balance and smoothness of an east coast IPA while still having some of the hop bite of the west coast IPAs. Stuff like Bell's Two Hearted is amazing.

Old
01-11-2013, 03:44 PM
RayP

Quote:
Yeah I'm a big fan of the midwestern style IPA. Nothing wrong with the west coast hop bombs, but there's a reason that Ruination is my favorite of those that I've had... it's nuanced. The east coast stuff is closer to the traditional British IPA for the most part IMO, which is great but doesn't have the impact of other American IPAs. The midwest stuff gets it, it's almost like a blend of both worlds with the balance and smoothness of an east coast IPA while still having some of the hop bite of the west coast IPAs. Stuff like Bell's Two Hearted is amazing.
Have you ever gotten your paws on one of these?

In a word: Amazing.

Old
01-11-2013, 04:30 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:

Going to have to check my local bottle store for that. I think I've seen it once or twice just never had it myself.

Old
01-11-2013, 04:32 PM
RayP

Quote:
Going to have to check my local bottle store for that. I think I've seen it once or twice just never had it myself.
Chicago brewery. Hadn't hear of them prior to this trip, and not sure how far they distribute. Definitely worth it if you can. Think it was like $10 for a six pack.

This was another one that I had for the first time:

Strong as hell, like 9.8'ish% strong IIRC. Very malty and a lot of caramel tones. Normally not a big fan of those flavors, as they usually end up getting a bit too thick... but it actually got better with every sip as opposed to worse.

Old
01-11-2013, 09:23 PM
SoupyFIN
#character

vCash: 439

Remembered that this **** was good. Oh, how wrong was I. ****. Good thing I only had one bottle of that piece of ****.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:13 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

got my hands on some of this

very excited to give it a try

Old
01-11-2013, 11:08 PM
Kekumba

Send a message via AIM to Kekumba Send a message via MSN to Kekumba Send a message via Skype™ to Kekumba
Had a few pints of Cameron's RyePA on cask tonight. Man, if you're in the Toronto area when they release some at the brewery...GET DAT.

Also had Spearhead Moroccan Brown. Quite disappointing after having the Hawaiian Pale Ale. A toasty caramel taste that just wasn't doing it for me.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:30 PM
FrizzleFry22
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

It was great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaStars99 View Post
got my hands on some of this

very excited to give it a try
It is pricey for my blood but definitely one of my favorites.

Old
01-12-2013, 09:56 PM
Eisen

Quote:
I had the Ruination yesterday, it's still not quite my kind of poison but I have to admit it's a LOT better in my opinion than most of the IPA I tried. It's not just heavily hopped, it has an agreeable flavor after the hop shock is over.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:00 PM
Eisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post

Remembered that this **** was good. Oh, how wrong was I. ****. Good thing I only had one bottle of that piece of ****.
When I'm already drunk, I can drink that. The first 4 beers are for flavour, after that the cheap stuff can come XD

Old
01-16-2013, 06:15 AM
Auger

Im gonna do you guys a solid and recommend something actually good - Grimbergen.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:22 AM
**** Farise
Fire Deboer

Had Bear Republic Racer X at a local beer bar. Amazing beer.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:16 AM
pdogfizzle
HFBoards Sponsor

I think Leffe Blonde would have to be my favorite. Also I love blue moons pale ale.

Worst would have to be a ham infused beer i tried last week. It was german and forgot the name I think it was rauchbier. It was awful! I tried to drink other beers after but I couldn't get the taste out haha

Old
01-18-2013, 01:25 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

So tonight I cracked open a bottle of Dogfish Head Theobroma that I had been aging for 3 years. Holy ****, so good. I thought it was good when I first tried it, forget that, it's good but it just doesn't quite compare. I'll be picking up a couple more bottles and letting those age as well. So worth it.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:22 AM
RayP

So is there anything on this list worth going for?

http://www.winterbeercarnival.com/beers/

Old
01-21-2013, 10:39 AM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Quote:
So is there anything on this list worth going for?

http://www.winterbeercarnival.com/beers/
No. Nothing on that list that can't easily be found at pretty much any liquor store. There are definitely some great beers on that list, but nothing that would draw me in with it's presence.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:41 AM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverendAlBundy View Post
No. Nothing on that list that can't easily be found at pretty much any liquor store. There are definitely some great beers on that list, but nothing that would draw me in with it's presence.
Ok, that's what I thought, but wanted more of an expert to confirm as there are a few on there that I have not had. I was really hoping they'd bring in some Midwestern, or even NYC area, breweries. Was definitely disappointed it was nothing but a lot of local breweries that you can find anywhere, and stuff like Sierra Nevada.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:48 AM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Quote:
Ok, that's what I thought, but wanted more of an expert to confirm as there are a few on there that I have not had. I was really hoping they'd bring in some Midwestern, or even NYC area, breweries. Was definitely disappointed it was nothing but a lot of local breweries that you can find anywhere, and stuff like Sierra Nevada.
I'm disappointed in how small the selection of some of those breweries are. Bell's and Founders are both amazing breweries with beers only available in the midwest, so I'm really upset to see theres only three beers from each, none of them really being any of their staple brews. Great divide is one of my favorite breweries, but only have two offerings there, one of which you have to be VIP to get.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:23 AM
RayP

Quote:
I'm disappointed in how small the selection of some of those breweries are. Bell's and Founders are both amazing breweries with beers only available in the midwest, so I'm really upset to see theres only three beers from each, none of them really being any of their staple brews. Great divide is one of my favorite breweries, but only have two offerings there, one of which you have to be VIP to get.
Well I will have to seek out the ones you mentioned, don't think I've had those, but do not believe I will be going to the festival for the price. Thanks for the replies.

Old
01-21-2013, 08:00 PM
chuppa chupp
star gazing

Quote:
This. That beer festival would be so plain jane for me, as every single beer on that menu could easily be found anywhere you go, but if you aren't that into the craft beer scene or too knowledgeable about the breweries, you would definitely have a great time trying new and different things. Either way, large quantities of alcohol and people are involved so I'm sure it's a great time regardless. .

Although Founder's and Bell's is available everywhere here in on the east coast. I split a case of the Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stout every year with three other people. It's one of my favorite beers and I absolutely cannot wait until it releases again in April.

Old
01-21-2013, 08:38 PM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuppa chupp View Post
This. That beer festival would be so plain jane for me, as every single beer on that menu could easily be found anywhere you go, but if you aren't that into the craft beer scene or too knowledgeable about the breweries, you would definitely have a great time trying new and different things. Either way, large quantities of alcohol and people are involved so I'm sure it's a great time regardless. .

Although Founder's and Bell's is available everywhere here in on the east coast. I split a case of the Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stout every year with three other people. It's one of my favorite beers and I absolutely cannot wait until it releases again in April.
Did not realize they were available out east. They don't carry either of them in Texas and didn't see them until I moved to MI, so I thought they were only available regionally.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:31 AM
Kekumba

Send a message via AIM to Kekumba Send a message via MSN to Kekumba Send a message via Skype™ to Kekumba
I'd have a ****ing blast at that festival.

Oh how different things are in the US...

Closed Thread