HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Phoenix Coyotes Roster

Old
01-18-2013, 05:07 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
So, here's the question; if B is so superior to A (and it's fairly obvious to pretty much everyone, even on the main board, where I posted a poll) why does everyone have the Coyotes falling from #3 to #10-#15 in the West? In the season prediction thread, at least 50% of guesses have us #8 or lower. Why? Other teams made wild, radical changes to improve? Maybe some. What about chemistry? Should kill the Wild in a short season. LA is better, San Jose is the same, Anaheim is the same, and I could go either way on Dallas (Ribeiro to Roy is a downgrade, and I don't have a whole lot of faith in Jagr or the Wizard). We aren't playing the east. So who are these improved western teams? Edmonton? Yep, but not enough. Columbus? Yep, but not enough. Calgary? No. Minnesota? No. Colorado? Nope. Especially not without ROR. Vancouver, Chicago, and St. Louis are the same. Detroit and Nashville are worse (probably by a lot).

01-18-2013, 05:10 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
So, here's the question; if B is so superior to A (and it's fairly obvious to pretty much everyone, even on the main board, where I posted a poll) why does everyone have the Coyotes falling from #3 to #10-#15 in the West? In the season prediction thread, at least 50% of guesses have us #8 or lower. Why? Other teams made wild, radical changes to improve? Maybe some. What about chemistry? Should kill the Wild in a short season. LA is better, San Jose is the same, Anaheim is the same, and I could go either way on Dallas (Ribeiro to Roy is a downgrade, and I don't have a whole lot of faith in Jagr or the Wizard). We aren't playing the east. So who are these improved western teams? Edmonton? Yep, but not enough. Columbus? Yep, but not enough. Calgary? No. Minnesota? No. Colorado? Nope. Especially not without ROR. Vancouver, Chicago, and St. Louis are the same. Detroit and Nashville are worse (probably by a lot).
You are asking a lot of the media. Not everyone has us ranked low. Doesn't ESPN have us as #6 in the league? Most see a hot goalie and a lost top scorer, and make the easy judgment. I don't think many can be bothered to do a macro analysis of the roster in Phoenix. If they do, they will see this team is more balanced and poised to have similar success. If a few guys do their expected jobs, and the young players take steps forward, we are 1b cup contenders with LA.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:16 PM
Naurutger
Free Max!

vCash: 1454
Pierre LeBrun
Quote:
@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Scratch Phoenix from Gomez hunt.

Last edited by Naurutger: 01-18-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Naurutger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:28 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
Because this is HF Boards.

Another year of experience for the youth of the Avs, PAP acquisition, and getting rid of Mueller..makes them an improved team...I don't see that many games going by before ROR is signed.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:52 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
Pierre LeBrun
So we were in it?

Seems like an abrupt denial.

Old
01-18-2013, 05:55 PM
Naurutger
Free Max!

vCash: 1454
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
So we were in it?

In on it for 30 minutes then scratched.

Naurutger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:03 PM
CC96
Serious Offender

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm...id=DL|PHX|home

I'm surprised Stone was sent down, I assume that means Rundblad is now going to be our 7th. D-man. Thoughts everyone?

CC96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:15 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Coyote 96 View Post

I'm surprised Stone was sent down, I assume that means Rundblad is now going to be our 7th. D-man. Thoughts everyone?
Tippett said today he played his way on with what he did in Portland and the camp. Cited him as a PP guy and a guy for the shootout. I think they are going to showcase him, see how he works out. If he can't fit into Tippett's system they will end up trading him.

Old
01-18-2013, 09:06 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Personally, I think Z will be fantastic and prove to be by far the best acquisition of the off season.

Maybe I'm the crazy one. Sorry, X.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:16 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Personally, I think Z will be fantastic and prove to be by far the best acquisition of the off season.
I think, as a move, it's great and a good upgrade for the roster. I just don't expect a momentous impact far above what Aucoin did for us. Aucoin was very, very good. Z was very, very good at a time when the team was not. That plays into the perception. We are playing the short game here in Phoenix. Things can't go too sour, nor should we ever expect things to go wildly better than planned. Maloney hedges. That's what Z is.

I expect more shot blocking (Z was great in Pitt in this regard) and a little more mobility. Les physicality. Less leadership. Not a huge upgrade. Just my take.

Old
01-18-2013, 09:50 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Quote:
So we were in it?

I asked around on Twitter and it seems thay we were indeed in on Gomez. Kind of interesting that Maloney is still on the prowl even after declaring he didn't have much money left. Hopefully if/when Jamison buys the team, Maloney still has the drive to make this team into a serious contender. We made a trade to get our center, but before that, Maloney made statements saying that he was listening to team's interest in our defense crop. We still have some ammo to get some offense.

Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 10:22 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit3119 View Post
I asked around on Twitter and it seems thay we were indeed in on Gomez. Kind of interesting that Maloney is still on the prowl even after declaring he didn't have much money left.
Gomez screams typical Maloney move. Buy low, reap rewards. I'd be disappointed if he didn't at least kick the tires and offer something under a million. I'm not counting on Gomez to be smart enough to realize this is potentially one of the best places for him. Otherwise he'd have signed, regardless of money. I'm curious as to who scratched PHX off the list, the player or the GM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit3119 View Post
We still have some ammo to get some offense.
Wouldn't count on it. Everything has to be dollar for dollar or close to it, from the sounds of it. Remember we are only slotted for ~53 million. 2.5 away, and Maloney always likes to have space for moves later in the season. Not a whole lot of teams left out there that want to eat salary, I'd imagine.

Old
01-19-2013, 12:04 AM
DesertDawg

Quote:
A popularity contest! I also think that SJ will not have the kind of sucess they had in the past. Canucks start the season without Booth and Kesler. At the Moment, I have concern about our goaltending. I don't have all that much confidence in Babs.

At 49 contracts the Coyotes are not going to sign any more free agents. I do believe that GMDM will eventually make a trade, but only after seeing how this roster responds.

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:32 AM
Jakey53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Coyote 96 View Post

I guess this means that Schlemko has looked good at camp, which is a big positive for the coyotes. With his contract and all, just a great asset to have.

Jakey53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:08 AM
RemoAZ
Stugots

Craig Morgan‏@cmorgancbsfoxaz

New #Coyotes C Matthew Lombardi got his visa issues squared away and is in Dallas with the team.

RemoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:17 AM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoAZ View Post
Craig Morgan‏@cmorgancbsfoxaz

New #Coyotes C Matthew Lombardi got his visa issues squared away and is in Dallas with the team.
Sweeeeeeeet

Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:50 AM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
I think, as a move, it's great and a good upgrade for the roster. I just don't expect a momentous impact far above what Aucoin did for us. Aucoin was very, very good. Z was very, very good at a time when the team was not. That plays into the perception. We are playing the short game here in Phoenix. Things can't go too sour, nor should we ever expect things to go wildly better than planned. Maloney hedges. That's what Z is.

I expect more shot blocking (Z was great in Pitt in this regard) and a little more mobility. Les physicality. Less leadership. Not a huge upgrade. Just my take.
That's exactly what I expect from someone that plays on this team though.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:51 AM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey53 View Post
I guess this means that Schlemko has looked good at camp, which is a big positive for the coyotes. With his contract and all, just a great asset to have.
I've always liked Schlemko, and was really bummed with his injury last year.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:59 AM
cobra427

Quote:
I think Nashville and Detroit could miss the playoffs. I agree, the additions are worth more than the subtractions on the coyotes. But, if you look at the roster, which guys are going to be equal, more, or less in production. I see it this way:

Smith-less productive, had a career year, I think he plays well still.
Doan-less productive, he is a year older.
Hanzel-more productive, his offense gets better
Bods-more productive, great playoffs, strong in Europe.
Morris-less productive, year older.
OEL-more productive
Yandle.-more productive, had a little bit down year, should bounce.
Vrbatta-less productive, had career year.

Everyone else is a toss up for better or worse this year, in my opinion of course. Again, it boils down to goal tending, Smith making us great or below average depending on how he plays, and Barbs is a big question mark. he will get time with the condensed schedule....

cobra427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:33 PM
TJinAZ

Other big factor on performance this year..

This isn't bad but....

Quote:
Smith-less productive, had a career year, I think he plays well still.
Doan-less productive, he is a year older.
Hanzel-more productive, his offense gets better
Bods-more productive, great playoffs, strong in Europe.
Morris-less productive, year older.
OEL-more productive
Yandle.-more productive, had a little bit down year, should bounce.
Vrbata-less productive, had career year.
Factor in who is in contract years

Lombardi
Boedker
Gordon
Korpedo
Moss
Smith
OEL
Runblad
Schlemko
Torres
Sullivan

I think we see improvement or at least big effort towards improvement from these players

http://www.capgeek.com/coyotes/

TJinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:03 PM
awfulwaffle

Ugh, that's a lot of players in contract years unfortunately. I like the group we have now, and hopefully they like it here enough to want to stay for less money than another market might give them.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:03 PM
BUX7PHX

Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
@azc_mclellan
In some ways, it makes sense to drop Stone down, though. Physically, he is more ready for the NHL than Rundblad, but the question of how much playing time does he get at the NHL level? We have 3 definitive defenseman who play position and body very well in Michalek, Klesla, and Morris. We only have 1 "shut-down" defenseman in Portland, and that is Summers. Other d-men are more "offensive" d-men, although OEL's game has not even scratched the surface of either his offensive or defensive abilities.

Suddenly, with the exception of OEL - Schlemko, Yandle, and Rundbald would all have to be looked at for trade value. Throw Klesla (maybe) on that list if Stone proves to be handling himself well in Portland.

BUX7PHX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:11 PM
BUX7PHX

Quote:
A. People don't want us to succeed, probably for the reason that they want the team to move, whether it be in HF or other publications. (BTW, Dreger is an ass from two years ago after I saw his ranking, and said we were good enough for a spot in the 6 to 9 position) in the playoffs that year. I think he had us #14 in the West.

B. I'll bring up the 48 game season. Are we equipped to handle a 48 game season? Sure, every team has to do that. But out of the teams in the Western Conference after 48 games, the Minnesota Wild would have been in the playoffs, and we would have been out. Not saying that is the case this year, but all it takes is a slow start or injury to a big-time player, followed by a fast start by a non-playoff team, and you are out of luck. I haven't really followed the predicitions this year, b/c I think that you will see at least 4 teams (East and West Conferences, combined) that in a full 82 game season, would be nowhere near the playoff picture, but are in a position now. Think teams like Edmonton, Dallas, and Calgary in the West and Buffalo or Toronto in the East.

BUX7PHX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:17 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Divisional strength is twice as significant now. We're probably going to see at least 2 Pacific teams fail to make the playoffs that would ordinarily be there in an 82 game season.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:22 PM
AZviaNJ
@AZviaNJviaNY

It's all about depth for the Yotes and every team. 48 games in 99 days is an insane schedule, couple that with no training camp and we'll see a lot of injuries this year. Yotes obviously have a load of talented depth on the blue line. Forwards? Not so much.

AZviaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote