HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The 2013 Oilers Preview (Season Starts In Van on Jan. 20th)

Old
01-08-2013, 12:01 PM
armandh01

vCash: 500
Is Nail Yakupov on the plane back here yet? I am sorta worried about the lack of info on his current status.

armandh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:13 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

anyone else scared the Oilers are going into the season with the EXACT same team with finished 29th with the additions of Yak and Schultz? (two raw rookies)

better hope Eberle, Hall, RNH take a huge step and Whitney is healthy as well as Dubnyk can carry the load

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:13 PM
Hitchslap

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
I think a Hemsky/Yakupov combination could be like Hemsky/Sykora on steroids. Yakupov has the best one timer on the team that works out great for Hemsky.
Agreed. He's the player we have been wanting for Hemsky for years. I expect to see him and Yakupov on the PP together, because RNH sets up along the right side half wall and Krueger has made it clear that's where he wants Yakupov.

Hitchslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:20 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
anyone else scared the Oilers are going into the season with the EXACT same team with finished 29th with the additions of Yak and Schultz? (two raw rookies)

better hope Eberle, Hall, RNH take a huge step and Whitney is healthy as well as Dubnyk can carry the load
The big 3 aren't the ones who need to take huge steps for this team to win. Gagner, Dubnyk, Whitney, Hemsky are the 4 that need to step it up. If those 4 are improved then there will be a big difference in last years team to this one.

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:31 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
Is Nail Yakupov on the plane back here yet? I am sorta worried about the lack of info on his current status.
This was tweeted yesterday. I haven't seen anything since then.

David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod
Quote:
I've been told Nail Yakupov will be going to Oilers camp, unsure when he's set to arrive in Edmonton.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:35 PM
armandh01

I don't see why people are upset about the D so much. Whitney is probably fairly healthy thanks to the lockout. He was looking quite a bit better by the end of the year last year. Whitney at 80% is better than most of the D in the league (including many who are touted at no. 1s).

I predict a healthy Whitney will give our D that much needed boost.

I may be too optimistic though.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:35 PM
armandh01

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post

Thanks!

Old
01-08-2013, 12:43 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:

Those guys aren't exactly reliable.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:54 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
Thanks!
NP.

And on the topic. I am not as worried about the D as I would have been over a full season. With a sprint like this much of the conventional wisdom can get tossed out the window. I think if we can add another top 6 NHLer to push Potter and Peckham into the 7/8 spots, that could be good enough to hold the fort until the summer.

As for a lineup with our current options:

Hall - RNH - Hemsky
Yakupov - Gagner - Eberle
Smyth - Horcoff - Jones(Paajarvi or Harski until Jones returns)
Eager - Belanger - Petrell
Hordichuk

Whitney - Petry
Smid - J Schultz
N Schultz - Potter
Peckham

Dubnyk
Khabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
They aren't BobM or even Dreger, but they aren't Ek or hockeyinsider either.

Until we have something legit to worry about with Nail, I won't get all worked up.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:03 PM
joestevens29

Quote:

Until we have something legit to worry about with Nail, I won't get all worked up.
I don't disagree, they just seem to be more of the type that just point out the obvious

Old
01-08-2013, 01:05 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
And on the topic. I am not as worried about the D as I would have been over a full season. With a sprint like this much of the conventional wisdom can get tossed out the window. I think if we can add another top 6 NHLer to push Potter and Peckham into the 7/8 spots, that could be good enough to hold the fort until the summer.

Hall - RNH - Hemsky
Hordichuk

Whitney - Petry
Smid - J Schultz
N Schultz - Potter
Peckham

Dubnyk
Khabby
For EDM, I predict a finish of no worse than 15th in the league, and 8th in the conference. Early '13 Draft pick prediction, Zach Fucale, G, Halifax Mooseheads. Enjoy the season.

01-08-2013, 01:15 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Pagnotta has actually come a long way since he started out; he was pretty reputable for information during the lockout.

What are your guys' expectations for Schultz? He was setting the world on fire in the AHL (yes, I am insanely jealous...) Do you think he carries that calibre of play over right away? Or do you anticipate some growing pains?

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:20 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Pagnotta has actually come a long way since he started out; he was pretty reputable for information during the lockout.

What are your guys' expectations for Schultz? He was setting the world on fire in the AHL (yes, I am insanely jealous...) Do you think he carries that calibre of play over right away? Or do you anticipate some growing pains?
I think he's coming into the NHL hot, he's already got chemistry with Hall, Eberle and RNH on the powerplay and I think he just continues where he left off. Maybe not at a ppg pace but I think he'll be at about 0.500 which is pretty good for a rookie. However, he's probably going to get lit up in his own end.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:22 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
For EDM, I predict a finish of no worse than 15th in the league, and 8th in the conference. Early '13 Draft pick prediction, Zach Fucale, G, Halifax Mooseheads. Enjoy the season.
I sure hope not. Don't see what all the hype's about with Fucale

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:24 PM
OilerLord

Quote:
That all depends on much the Sedins and Burrows lights him up!

I think most people fully expect some growing pains, but I personally feel due to his maturity (22); skating ability; hockey IQ; and a shortened season; he will not struggle as much as some other rookie defensemen.

I eagerly await to see what will happen with Lu on the 'Nucks.

OilerLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:24 PM
joestevens29

Quote:

I anticipate him doing well offensively, especially on the PP. He has chemistry with Hall, Eberle and RNH so get them the puck and points will continue on the PP. What I think we will see that hasn't really been talked about at the AHL level is that he's going to have growing pains at ES and that he's going to get burnt from time to time.

I expect growing pains, but at the same time I expect his offense isn't going to disappear. Hopefully the offense offsets his flaws defensively so that his confidence doesn't drop.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:25 PM
BowDangles

Quote:
NP.

Hall - RNH - Hemsky
Hordichuk

Whitney - Petry
Smid - J Schultz
N Schultz - Potter
Peckham

Dubnyk
Khabby

I agree with the most part of your lineup except for some tweaks,
Offense - RK believes in duos, so he prob wont separate our best duo from last year (ebs and nuge), he has also mentioned about playing Hemmer with Yak so switch the top six to
Hall - RNH - Ebs
Hemsky - Gagner - Yak

Defense - Justin shultz is going to need some time to develop the defensive side of his game, so he will be more suited playing with a stay at home guy like N. Shultz and RK said yesterday he would like to see Smid and Petry a tandem again.

Smid-Petry
Shultz-Shultz
Whitney-Potter

You wouldnt really label these lines as 1-2-3 but the smid pairing would handle the majority of the shutdown roles. I do agree that the Oilers still need help on D, i would like them to acquire a top end talent on the blue line to play with Whitney as our #1 pairing as long as Whitney is back to form, pushing Potter to the #7 role.

BowDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:55 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Thanks for the responses, guys; it'll be interesting to see how Schultz augments your (already potent) attack.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 02:05 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
A lot of interesting options/combos and I'm sure we'll see many of them throughout the season.

However, I would just like to say that people who are putting RNH on the second line are plainly mistaken. I don't care who the wingers are, our best line will have RNH in the middle and that (being the best line) will be true because RNH is on that line.

01-08-2013, 02:14 PM
tv14

vCash: 50
So training camp starts Sunday the 13th and the actual season starts Saturday the 19th. Meaning training camp is only 6 days long, with no exhibition games. Wow, that could really put the Oilers in an advantageous situation. We have to get off to a hot start and take advantage of rusty, slow starting teams.

tv14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 02:22 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Rangers fan here...

For the past few years, I've really started digging this team, and after watching Nuge, I liked them even more.

I was just on your site, checking out the videos. A few things I noticed:

1. Hallsy seems MUCH improved in the maturity department. That's a great sign. I think he's ready to become the player he can be.

2. Ralph Krueger was especially impressive, listening to his press-conference. I'll always have a soft spot for Renney, finally pulling us out of a dark place, but I think you guys are in great hands with this guy.

Can't wait until NHL 13 rosters update, so at least when I get my ass kicked by 14 year olds, I'll have fun using the Oilers as my go-to West team.

Good luck this year guys!

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 02:30 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreiMeARiver View Post
Rangers fan here...

For the past few years, I've really started digging this team, and after watching Nuge, I liked them even more.

I was just on your site, checking out the videos. A few things I noticed:

1. Hallsy seems MUCH improved in the maturity department. That's a great sign. I think he's ready to become the player he can be.

2. Ralph Krueger was especially impressive, listening to his press-conference. I'll always have a soft spot for Renney, finally pulling us out of a dark place, but I think you guys are in great hands with this guy.

Can't wait until NHL 13 rosters update, so at least when I get my ass kicked by 14 year olds, I'll have fun using the Oilers as my go-to West team.

Good luck this year guys!
Thanks!

Hope Nash lights it up in New York (....he's on my fantasy team )

doubledown99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 02:41 PM
joestevens29

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Each team plays: 4 games vs. two Divisional opponents (8); 5 games vs. two divisional opponents (10); 3 games vs 10 Conference rivals (30).

Old
01-08-2013, 02:42 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm happy we don't have 7 vs each team in your division, that would have been ridiculous!

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 02:42 PM
Oil and Avs

vCash: 958
Im interested in what our powerplay will look like? For the first line I was thinking

Hall Nuge Eberle

Whitney Schultz

Would we try to spread out the talent a little more? Four of these five guys have seen alot of each other in the AHL, so that is an advantage. As far as the second line, Im assuming Yakupov and Hemsky. Will Horcoff or Gagner play center? Or will we experiment more with Gagner on the point? Or Belanger? Is Smyth still valuable infront of the net ? My best guess is

Hemsky Gagner Yakupov

Smid Petry

Would love to know what you guys think

Oil and Avs is offline   Reply With Quote