HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2013 Oilers Preview (Season Starts In Van on Jan. 20th)

Old
01-08-2013, 04:15 PM
ToeDrag83
Down, Not Out

vCash: 500
Saw the interview with Hall just now (up on team site).

This kid has captain written all over him, he just says the right things in the right way.

Sigh... 11 days and counting.

Last edited by ToeDrag83: 01-08-2013 at 06:03 PM.
ToeDrag83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:21 PM
Rangediddy

vCash: 567
Anyone heard if Taylor Fedun will be looked at in camp? He's fully healthy after his broken leg and apparently skating quite well. Probably would have made the team last year if he didn't get injured, you'd think he might get a look?

Rangediddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:29 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangediddy View Post
Anyone heard if Taylor Fedun will be looked at in camp? He's fully healthy after his broken leg and apparently skating quite well. Probably would have made the team last year if he didn't get injured, you'd think he might get a look?
I think he needs more time in the AHL with a bigger role. He's probably the 1st guy that will get called up when someone gets injured.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:40 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
@josh_wingrove

Taylor Hall heading for stitches to close cut above eye, sustained after tripping on stairs and knocking heads with Jordan Eberle. ... Yup.

just stop walking Hallsy..
Oh lord. All the "Hall is injury prone" boobs on the main board will have a field day with this one if it makes it to the main board.

CupofOil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:41 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
@josh_wingrove

Taylor Hall heading for stitches to close cut above eye, sustained after tripping on stairs and knocking heads with Jordan Eberle. ... Yup.

just stop walking Hallsy..
hahahahahaha

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:43 PM
Digger12

That kid needs to be bubble wrapped until Sunday, lol

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:55 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Oh lord. All the "Hall is injury prone" boobs on the main board will have a field day with this one if it makes it to the main board.
don't go there then

watching the Hall interview....the cut is very minor

and yes, he's got captain material written all over him...when's Horc's contract done? haha

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:56 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
Quote:
don't go there then

watching the Hall interview....the cut is very minor

and yes, he's got captain material written all over him...when's Horc's contract done? haha
who cares, Hall should just walk over like a man and rip it off horcs jersey, "this is for leaders, even if they are getting stitched up every 4 months"

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:59 PM
supert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles Glasses View Post
Yeah, I heard that he was done. I also hurt that Khabibulin was hurt, but not too sure about that.
Khabibulin Is still hurt from last year is what i heard . We can all hope he can not come back this year

supert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 05:07 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I wonder if Hemsky has the chops to run a PP similar to how RNH runs the 1st unit. We basically have the personnel to make a mirrored version.

....................NET..................
Gagner........Smyth...............
...............................Yakupov
Hemsky...............................
...................Whitney............
No offense, but are you too young to remember 2006? Replace Gags with Horc, Yak with Spacek and Whitney with Pronger and that's how we marched to the finals.

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 05:08 PM
Qrispy

Khabi > Danis. Dubnyk should be playing most of the games this season anyway so it doesn't really matter.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 05:09 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by supert View Post
Khabibulin Is still hurt from last year is what i heard . We can all hope he can not come back this year
I don't think he was much worse than Dubnyk last year.

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 05:10 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangediddy View Post
-No.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 05:12 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
I don't think he was much worse than Dubnyk last year.
He really was. Outside of the first month or so, he was terrible

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 05:12 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks_oil View Post
No offense, but are you too young to remember 2006? Replace Gags with Horc, Yak with Spacek and Whitney with Pronger and that's how we marched to the finals.
Well, sure, it looked the same, but I'm meaning can Hemsky actually run it like RNH does?

If it's the usual Hemsky ran PP, Yakupov is going to fall asleep on the other side of the ice while Hemsky waits for 45 seconds then forces a bad pass through the middle.

If Hemsky can't utilize Yakupov, Yakupov should be running the 2nd unit. That's basically what I'm getting at.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 05:15 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
He really was. Outside of the first month or so, he was terrible
Consistency was definitely an issue for Khabibulin, but we can't discredit what he did in the first month. If we look at the year as a whole, he wasn't much worse than Dubnyk.

Even after the first month I don't think Khabibulin was as bad as people like to think.

Old
01-08-2013, 05:48 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
They like to have a guy in front of the net instead of 2 d-men. Horcoff/Harti will be there and Whitney will be on #2 PP.
I am thinking the first unit will be RNH, Eberle, Hall or Yakupov (the latter will main the point if they go with one defenseman) Horcoff (will take draws and provide net presence), and Schultz.

The 2nd unit: Hall or Yakupov, Hemsky, Smyth/Hartikainen, Whitney and Potter. Gagner and Petry might get some looks also.

I would imagine with the personnel he has Krueger will try different combinations over the course of the

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 05:54 PM
czar99

Not sure where to post this but can anyone tell me how Taylor Hall has gone from OKC to Edmonton not played any hockey and have a slit open eye brow.

Did he get drunk and fall down last night?

czar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 05:57 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
Not sure where to post this but can anyone tell me how Taylor Hall has gone from OKC to Edmonton not played any hockey and have a slit open eye brow.

Did he get drunk and fall down last night?
He tripped on some stairs and bumped heads with Eberle. You really can't make this stuff up.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 05:58 PM
Ser Woof
Pull the trigger

vCash: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Well, sure, it looked the same, but I'm meaning can Hemsky actually run it like RNH does?

If it's the usual Hemsky ran PP, Yakupov is going to fall asleep on the other side of the ice while Hemsky waits for 45 seconds then forces a bad pass through the middle.

If Hemsky can't utilize Yakupov, Yakupov should be running the 2nd unit. That's basically what I'm getting at.
The way I remember the Hemsky run PP was;

Hemsky cross ice pass tape to tape onto the stick of Horcoff (or insert other equally useless player here) who proceeds to either a) fan on the puck b) not shoot the puck c) miss the net ad nausea.

At which point, after two or three times of the mediocrity of the rest of the unit I tended to notice that Hemsky would start hanging onto the puck longer and trying to do too much himself since no other tangible option consistently existed.

With some actual talent to play with I don't think that Hemsky would be hanging onto the puck and "waiting for 45 seconds".

Ser Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 06:02 PM
ToeDrag83
Down, Not Out

We should just carry over the first unit as it is from the OKC Barons. I think Hartikainen did a fantastic job in front of the net on the PP down there. Definitely a contributing factor to how often Schultz was able to score.

We can then mirror the setup for our 2nd unit PP. Smyth/Horcoff can be our net presence, Hemsky will will play half boards setup, Yakupov trigger man on opposite side, Gagner down low on Hesmky's side, and Whitney running the point.

RNH --> Hemsky
Schultz --> Whitney
Eberle --> Yakupov
Hall --> Gagner
Hartikainen --> Smyth

ToeDrag83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 06:06 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I think Khabby, depending on injury status, could be placed in the same category as guys like Smyth for playing better when the games are meaningful.

Not saying he'll be as hot as he was that first month, but if he's engaged, he's a pretty decent goalie.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 06:20 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
I think Khabby, depending on injury status, could be placed in the same category as guys like Smyth for playing better when the games are meaningful.

Not saying he'll be as hot as he was that first month, but if he's engaged, he's a pretty decent goalie.
The biggest problem with Khabibulin is not Khabibulin himself, it's how the team chooses to play in front of him. For some reason, the games he is in net for are the same ones that the Oilers look most flat in. Khabibulin is often the victim of complete defensive breakdowns by the players in front of him, leaving him hopeless in net. This isn't as big of an issue in the games Dubnyk plays. It also seems like Dubnyk gets more offensive support in the games he plays but I haven't crunched any numbers.

Old
01-08-2013, 06:25 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Fedun isn't ready... he needs more time in the AHL. I think if he gets top minutes down there he could be a surprise by the end of the year but the Oil need to be patient with him and let him develop down there, especially after that horrific injury.

I'd rather have Teubert as the 1st callup as he brings some physicality that they need on D with Sutton out.

Khabi is old and broken... he had a great (short) run last season but reality hit hard and he was back to his usual mediocre ways before long. He's ok in a very limited backup role but forget about it if he gets anywhere near to a 50/50 split with Dubnyk.

Danis is a MUCH better option at backup than Khabi and after this season when Khabi is mercifully put out to pasture they may well do just that unless Dubnyk completely craps the bed this season and they feel they need to find a better starter elsewhere.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 06:29 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Where's Horcoff?
On the first unit. Winning less than 50% of the faceoffs he takes.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote