HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2013 Oilers Preview (Season Starts In Van on Jan. 20th)

Old
01-08-2013, 07:34 PM
GO99
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
I hope Horcoff has a better attitude this year. Maybe his salary got to him? Did he really complain about his PP time?

GO99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:37 PM
GO99
HFBoards Sponsor

Pat Steinberg ‏@Fan960Steinberg Peter Maher says it's likely Calgary opens on the road in Edmonton on January 19th. #Flames

GO99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:52 PM
jebs

Lol, just saw Eberle on TSN. Has a cut just above his nose.

They really collided face first..

jebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:58 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebs View Post

Can... you feeellll the loveeeee tonightttttt

Wonder if this'll hurt their chemistry..

Also, the PP will be fine. I'm still very very worried about the PK.

Nobody else scared this is the exact same team we threw at the league last year, plus Yakupov and Schultz?

nofool6110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:21 PM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post

Nobody else scared this is the exact same team we threw at the league last year, plus Yakupov and Schultz?
That team improved by 12 points from the prior year. It certainly didn't have much to do with Belanger, Barker, Eager and Hordichuk. With the additions of Yak and Schultz, natural progression, time to heal injuries, multiple advantages we had this whole time, short season and Ralphy doing his thing I expect big things.

MessierII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:29 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
That team improved by 12 points from the prior year. It certainly didn't have much to do with Belanger, Barker, Eager and Hordichuk. With the additions of Yak and Schultz, natural progression, time to heal injuries, multiple advantages we had this whole time, short season and Ralphy doing his thing I expect big things.
I hope for big things, god knows I do.

I expect, however, nothing. Because when I've expected from this team, it's just... to quote George Bluth Sr., it's just been a turd out there.

I'm also not sold on the D-corps. We're an injury away from being super shaky, two injuries away from Potter being in the top 6 dangerous.

nofool6110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:31 PM
SephF
See you next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebs View Post

I'll admit I can be a little clumsy from time to time and I've bonked heads with a friend more then once. Can't imagine how hard you'd have to hit someone to need stitches though... damn. They must've really smashed into each other.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:47 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Wait what? It had a LOT to do with Belanger. He was our ace faceoff guy, and our best PKer. People need to remember all the complaints there used to be about us not having a proper shutdown center.

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:52 PM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Wait what? It had a LOT to do with Belanger. He was our ace faceoff guy, and our best PKer. People need to remember all the complaints there used to be about us not having a proper shutdown center.
That's fair Belanger was a solid contributer but he was far from the driving force.

MessierII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:58 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
That's fair Belanger was a solid contributer but he was far from the driving force.
Oh for sure, but he was a major contributer on the defensive side of the game, and our greatly improved PK

Old
01-09-2013, 12:05 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post

Bingo.

This is why I have a hard time believing much will change, although they are two very good players. There is still too much garbage left over. Hard to believe that there were barely any changes from last years team considering how bad they were. You dont really see other teams sitting on their hands like that. Look at what Dallas did. They could surprise a lot of people imo.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:25 AM
Qrispy

This team has enough talent to make the playoffs. It just comes down to coaching, imo.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:27 AM
Wheatking

Delete

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:33 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Bingo.

This is why I have a hard time believing much will change, although they are two very good players. There is still too much garbage left over. Hard to believe that there were barely any changes from last years team considering how bad they were. You dont really see other teams sitting on their hands like that. Look at what Dallas did. They could surprise a lot of people imo.
I'm not overly optimistic about this season but there are some changes from within that could make a huge difference. For example...Hall, Eberle and RNH leading the forwards in ice instead of Horcoff and Smyth. Another one is having Dubnyk as the starter for an entire season. I don't know if he's the guy that we can win it all with but he was a massive upgrade on Khabibulin late last season. I don't know why Renney kept going back to Bulin. He had one win after Christmas in about 15ish games while Dubnyk was more like 16-10-3(off the top of my head) in the new year.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:37 AM
JSC
Registered Sniper

I truly think the x-factor is going to be Yakupov. Last season we leaned on the top line heavily and couldn't get any secondary scoring. I think Yakupov plays at a 20 goal/50 point pace, playing on the second line with second unit PP time, and elevates both Gagner and Hemsky.

Can't wait for the season!

JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:55 AM
T-Funk

If we had the exact same team plus Hjalmarsson and Paajarvi, I would be concerned.

Instead we get two of the most sought after young players of the summer: a first overall pick and a kid teams were throwing 4million dollars at without ever playing an NHL game.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:59 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

We had the what, 3rd ranked PP in the league and I believe Smid was our highest scoring d-man with 5 goals. The PP would have to be top 3 again and it's hard to believe we won't be better 5-on-5.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 01:07 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
If we had the exact same team plus Hjalmarsson and Paajarvi, I would be concerned.

Instead we get two of the most sought after young players of the summer: a first overall pick and a kid teams were throwing 4million dollars at without ever playing an NHL game.
Ya, and despite record production, he and our first line could barely keep OKC above water.

Unless we get considerable improvement from the Gagner's, Dubnyk's, Hemsky's and Horcoff's we will be spinning our wheels.

Last edited by I am the Liquor: 01-09-2013 at 01:13 AM.
I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 01:09 AM
Philly85
Moody'

The only real garbage they have on the roster is Horcoff, Belanger and to a degree Eager, if he doesn't shape up. I like the idea of building a young nucleus and keeping them together, getting them all familiarized and comfortable with each other, kind of build chemistry throughout the roster... until you know you're real close and have those expendable pieces to make a bigger splash or two... There have been little to no free agents the Oilers realistically could or should have gone after... I think bringing in guys like Yakupov, Schultz and Hartikainen will be huge enough... so I'm not as worried that they've kept the same group intact as others.

If the D and goaltending can stay decent, I think they'll be in fighting shape for a playoff spot.

Very interesting to see how Krueger does too... I wasn't excited about them hiring Renney whatsoever, and look how that ended, as many anticipated he was a MacT clone almost... this time though I'm actually excited about the potential impact of the coach i.e. Krueger. I think he could really help galvanize this group.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 01:14 AM
T-Funk

Quote:
Ya, and despite record production, he and our first line could barely keep OKC's above water.

Unless we get considerable improvement from the Gagner's, Dubnyk's, Hemsky's and Horcoff's we will be spinning our wheels.
I think you will get considerable improvement from Gagner and Hemsky's line and Dubnyk has been surprisingly good. The key to our goaltending is simply not letting Khabi play.

At the very least we will become a 2 line team. Last year we were barely a 1 line team.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 01:46 AM
luongo321

So pumped to see your team play. Kinda glad Schultz didn't come to the Canucks. He has too much swag and awesome goal celebrations. AV would not approve. 'hey, stop scoring! you're a D-man! Start acting like one? You scored 5 goals tonight? I don't give a ****! Sit in the pressbox and think about how much time you've been spending in the offensive zone! Why did we trade Rome?'

luongo321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 01:58 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Bingo.

Exactly, this team isn't going to make the playoffs until it learns to play defense and they get rid of some of the free loaders which for some reason are fan favourites like Peckham, and Jones.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 02:36 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Exactly, this team isn't going to make the playoffs until it learns to play defense and they get rid of some of the free loaders which for some reason are fan favourites like Peckham, and Jones.
Ya... No. 35 goals in the last 2 years, and one of our main PK guys... sure is too bad we have to pay him a whopping 1.5 million a season

Old
01-09-2013, 02:43 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Ya... No. 35 goals in the last 2 years, and one of our main PK guys... sure is too bad we have to pay him a whopping 1.5 million a season
Jones being on our 3rd line is one of the main reasons we have been the worst team in the league for 3 years running. Do you think Jones cracks the third line in LA? Van? Heck even Toronto he'd have a hard time with.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 03:42 AM
dnicks17

Looks like our season starts with Calgary coming to town on the 19th.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote