HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2013 Oilers Preview (Season Starts In Van on Jan. 20th)

Old
01-09-2013, 10:44 AM
OilDrop37

vCash: 17909
Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
You think Jones or Hartikainen are better offensive players than Nail Yakupov?

Having Hemsky and Yakupov play on the same line is very possible. Yakupov spent a lot of time on LW in the KHL and did just fine.
No idea where you came up with Jones, but whatever.

Hartikainen-RNH-Eberle
Hall-Gagner-Hemsky
Smyth-Horcoff-Yakupov
Petrell-Belanger-Eager
Jones (IR)

Not saying this is what I'd do but you have to admit its possible, no? My comment about offensive players was about Hemsky playing with Hall and Gagner vs Horcoff and Smyth.

OilDrop37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 10:45 AM
Worraps
McWonderful McSummer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
no but Hall is ..
Hall-Gagner/RNH-Hemsky
Hartikainen-RNH/Gagner-Eberle ??
I think Hartikainen will eventually find his way into the Oilers top 6. It won't be before Nail Yakupov does.

Hall-RNH-Eberle isn't getting broken up anytime soon. The fact that they have spent a large chunk of the lockout playing together on North American ice is the Oilers biggest advantage coming into the season.

Hemsky has spent the majority of his career as a right handed shot playmaker with no one to pass to. Giving him access to a left handed sniper who loves to onetime the puck would do much more for his offense than Taylor Hall would.

Worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 10:46 AM
Wheatking

vCash: 500
Quote:
why are we assuming it is Hemsky/Gagner vs Horcoff/Smyth?
Factor in the possibilty of Hartikainen in top 6 and things change.

I can easily see Horcoff get more ES minutes than Gagner and maybe even RNH.
There is no denying that Yakupov will be a top 4 forward for us in a year or 2 but you cant ink him in top 6 playing the off wing right away..

IMO.. hel'll start on 3rd line.. at some point get demoted to 4th and might even watch a game or 2 up from PB before settling into the 2nd line by the end of the season.
I disagree. I think Krueger puts him in a position to score as many goals as possible and that is by giving him the best offensive players available. RNH, Hall and Eberle will likely be on a line together so it will be Hemsky and Gagner. IMO the only way Yakupov is playing in the bottom 6 is if he proves he's not ready for a top 6 role. He isn't going to have to earn that spot. They're going to see what he can do right away. They won't be letting him get his feet wet in the NHL. They think he can swim so he'll be thrown into the deep end....and in a way he will still be sheltered since Hall, Eberle and RNH will be the oppositions top priority.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 10:49 AM
Worraps
McWonderful McSummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
No idea where you came up with Jones, but whatever.

Hartikainen-RNH-Eberle
Hall-Gagner-Hemsky
Smyth-Horcoff-Yakupov
Petrell-Belanger-Eager
Jones (IR)

Not saying this is what I'd do but you have to admit its possible, no? My comment about offensive players was about Hemsky playing with Hall and Gagner vs Horcoff and Smyth.
Hartikainen couldn't crack the first line in OKC. How on earth do you think he will in Edmonton? If he has a bad camp MPS will be staying up to play on the third line and he'll be headed back to OKC.

I like Harski, and he's showing great signs of being capable of being a top 6 player at some point but to put him ahead of Nail Yakupov as an offensive player, at this point, is laughable.

Old
01-09-2013, 10:51 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
Draft is over .. PB was a stretch but players new to the system are not always thrown straight into the fire..
We all cry about how we rushed Gagner ... Even he on a pretty crappy Oiler team spent portion of a season on the 4th line.. As did Hemsky ... and most recently Paajarvi.

They are no 1st overalls but were high picks.

Seguin and Duchene have been 3rd liners as well..

This team is not built around Yakupov.. Kruger would have said the same about everyone... He would want everyone on his team to score as many goals as they can..
He also specifically said on Oilers Now that he isn't going to have the same approach as the KHL did with Yakupov...which was playing on the 3rd line with limited PP time. He's a goal scorer and Krueger is going to treat him like one.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 10:54 AM
Draiskull

vCash: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
I disagree. I think Krueger puts him in a position to score as many goals as possible and that is by giving him the best offensive players available. RNH, Hall and Eberle will likely be on a line together so it will be Hemsky and Gagner. IMO the only way Yakupov is playing in the bottom 6 is if he proves he's not ready for a top 6 role. He isn't going to have to earn that spot. They're going to see what he can do right away. They won't be letting him get his feet wet in the NHL. They think he can swim so he'll be thrown into the deep end....and in a way he will still be sheltered since Hall, Eberle and RNH will be the oppositions top priority.
hope you are right but I doubt Yakupov will adjust to NHL playing LW this smoothly.

Also, there is no guarantee that Hall-RNH-Ebs will be the top line. This line was together for what ~10 games in AHL and IMO doesnt really have the chemistry.
Hall was on a different line initially while Hartikainen hogged the spot.. Hall and Ebs were together after RNH went for WJHC. These 3 have clicked as duos but not as trio.

Draiskull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 10:58 AM
Worraps
McWonderful McSummer

Quote:
Draft is over .. PB was a stretch but players new to the system are not always thrown straight into the fire..
We all cry about how we rushed Gagner ... Even he on a pretty crappy Oiler team spent portion of a season on the 4th line.. As did Hemsky ... and most recently Paajarvi.

They are no 1st overalls but were high picks.

Seguin and Duchene have been 3rd liners as well..

This team is not built around Yakupov.. Kruger would have said the same about everyone... He would want everyone on his team to score as many goals as they can..
Seguin and Duchene were natural centres and to be honest neither can skate or shoot like this kid. Gagner isn't even close. Add to that: second line LW is one of the easier positions to play on an NHL team; there is very little defensive responsibility.

IATL had a good analogy awhile ago about it being a bad idea to run plow horses at the track and hitch thoroughbreds to plows. It is very applicable here.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:00 AM
Draiskull

Quote:
I like Harski, and he's showing great signs of being capable of being a top 6 player at some point but to put him ahead of Nail Yakupov as an offensive player, at this point, is laughable.
with Hartikainen it is not about being more offensive but more about complimenting better. We were not going to have set lines but set duos with complimenting player rounding off the line. Hartikainen can do the dirty work and open up ice for his linemates. Yakupov can bury his chances.. Hopefully Kruger finds a way to get the best out of his players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
He also specifically said on Oilers Now that he isn't going to have the same approach as the KHL did with Yakupov...which was playing on the 3rd line with limited PP time. He's a goal scorer and Krueger is going to treat him like one.
missed the interview.. good to hear these comments.. puts the ball in Yak's court to perform.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:03 AM
OilDrop37

Quote:
Hartikainen couldn't crack the first line in OKC. How on earth do you think he will in Edmonton? If he has a bad camp MPS will be staying up to play on the third line and he'll be headed back to OKC.

I think you misunderstand my point. I'm trying to tell you that it's possible the coaching staff will put Yakupov in the lineup somewhere other than the top 6. I'm not saying I would, cuz I wouldn't, I'd actually play him with Hemsky like you suggested. I'm just saying its possible, especially if Krueger tries for a balanced lineup.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:03 AM
Worraps
McWonderful McSummer

Quote:
with Hartikainen it is not about being more offensive but more about complimenting better. We were not going to have set lines but set duos with complimenting player rounding off the line. Hartikainen can do the dirty work and open up ice for his linemates. Yakupov can bury his chances.. Hopefully Kruger finds a way to get the best out of his players.

missed the interview.. good to hear these comments.. puts the ball in Yak's court to perform.
I definitely get the urge to insert size into the top 6 but you can't force it ala Craig MacTavish. The big player needs to be able to keep up with the elite talents. Hartikainen isn't there yet. Yakupov is.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:04 AM
Draiskull

Quote:
Seguin and Duchene were natural centres and to be honest neither can skate or shoot like this kid. Gagner isn't even close. Add to that: second line LW is one of the easier positions to play on an NHL team; there is very little defensive responsibility.

IATL had a good analogy awhile ago about it being a bad idea to run plow horses at the track and hitch thoroughbreds to plows. It is very applicable here.
may not work here since Yakupov is a throughbred but still a Colt. His ego wont be hurt starting off on the "3rd" line.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:08 AM
Worraps
McWonderful McSummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
I think you misunderstand my point. I'm trying to tell you that it's possible the coaching staff will put Yakupov in the lineup somewhere other than the top 6. I'm not saying I would, cuz I wouldn't, I'd actually play him with Hemsky like you suggested. I'm just saying its possible, especially if Krueger tries for a balanced lineup.
I don't disagree that it's possible. If they do it, they are really worried about Yakupov not understanding his role in the defensive system or not being comfortable on LW. Even then it won't take them long to move Hemsky over to LW to get Yakupov in the top 6, especially if secondary scoring isn't good.

There is no scenario where having Yakupov playing with Horcoff and Smyth rather than Gagner and Hemsky, helps scoring.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:09 AM
OilDrop37

Quote:
hope you are right but I doubt Yakupov will adjust to NHL playing LW this smoothly.

Also, there is no guarantee that Hall-RNH-Ebs will be the top line. This line was together for what ~10 games in AHL and IMO doesnt really have the chemistry.
Hall was on a different line initially while Hartikainen hogged the spot.. Hall and Ebs were together after RNH went for WJHC. These 3 have clicked as duos but not as trio.
IMO, Eberle is the straw that stirs the drink.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:11 AM
Worraps
McWonderful McSummer

Quote:
may not work here since Yakupov is a throughbred but still a Colt. His ego wont be hurt starting off on the "3rd" line.
The "colt" is probably the best skater on the team (combination of speed and agility) and likely has the best shot. He's also more physically mature than Hall and RNH.

As far as the mental side of the game. Life as a winger isn't exactly mentally taxing.

At the end of the day I don't think starting him on the second line can be construed as rushing him and unless he is really confused by the switch over to LW, it would hurt the team's chances in a sprint to have him playing on the third line.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:16 AM
Johnny McBravo
Hello Connor

Quote:
The "colt" is probably the best skater on the team (combination of speed and agility) and likely has the best shot. He's also more physically mature than Hall and RNH.

As far as the mental side of the game. Life as a winger isn't exactly mentally taxing.
This is simply not true. Nail may be close to RNH regarding physical maturity, but in no way is he more physically mature than Hall. RNH looks like he has put on a bit of weight, and it seems like he has more jump in his step. Nail still needs to fill out, when this happens he will be a dominating force for the Oil.

Johnny McBravo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:17 AM
Murphy

Yakupov sure likes to leave the defensive zone early though, I'd expect that kind of mentality will be erased pronto.

Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:20 AM
CornKicker
Tied with Lander G's

i think they should put hall and eberle with gagner and have hemsky, RNH and Yak on the 2nd line. then have what ever combos after that. Hall and eberle dont need RNH as much as each other imo, gagner is hockey smart enough to play well with elite players, 8pts and all. RNH will fit awesome with yak as he can find a man open even when the man isnt open and hemsky is also a very good passer. the other thing is RNH can score when he shoots. so can hemsky so the triple threat is always there even though the go to is Yak to shoot.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:28 AM
Johnny McBravo
Hello Connor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
Yakupov sure likes to leave the defensive zone early though, I'd expect that kind of mentality will be erased pronto.
He's always looking for the breakout pass, however I do agree with you. When the pucks deep he should be focused on defense. What I did notice from the WJC was that, whenever Yak was going for the breakaway his teammates never gave him a good pass, which then would result in a broken play.

The only thing that made me worry was his lack of effort around players when they had the puck. It was almost like he wanted them to get past him. He just needs to put more effort into his defensive game, and then everything else will come together.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:43 AM
Worraps
McWonderful McSummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
This is simply not true. Nail may be close to RNH regarding physical maturity, but in no way is he more physically mature than Hall. RNH looks like he has put on a bit of weight, and it seems like he has more jump in his step. Nail still needs to fill out, when this happens he will be a dominating force for the Oil.
Yakupov is built like a brick ****house. Hall is still more than a little gangly. It's apparent when you watch them skate.

Hall is bigger than Yakupov and always will be but he isn't as physically mature.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:48 AM
Johnny McBravo
Hello Connor

Quote:
Yakupov is built like a brick ****house. Hall is still more than a little gangly. It's apparent when you watch them skate.

Hall is bigger than Yakupov and always will be but he isn't as physically mature.
Did you watch the Combine? Sure Yak has a solid foundation, but he definitely isn't more built than Hall is.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:52 AM
Worraps
McWonderful McSummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
Did you watch the Combine? Sure Yak has a solid foundation, but he definitely isn't more built than Hall is.
The kid is solid:

Biceps do very little for hockey players.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:56 AM
Johnny McBravo
Hello Connor

Quote:
The kid is solid:

Biceps do very little for hockey players.
I never said he wasn't solid, I just pointed out that Hall is more built. Plus Hall should be because he has had two more years of maturing.

Old
01-09-2013, 12:07 PM
HallOfGreatness4

vCash: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip01 View Post
Pat Steinberg ‏@Fan960Steinberg Peter Maher says it's likely Calgary opens on the road in Edmonton on January 19th. #Flames
Do we have any idea on time on this? Night game hopefully

HallOfGreatness4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:16 PM
oilersrule14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallOfGreatness4 View Post
Do we have any idea on time on this? Night game hopefully
No idea but just guessing HNIC late game.

oilersrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:17 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Hall may lose his balance due to misdirection and over extension at times but it is a little bit over-zealous to suggest that Yaks is already more physically mature than him. Outside of age and pro-training experience Hall has demonstrated at a pro level how physically solid and sound with his hits this season and standing up Sutton in his rookie year. Not that Yaks isn't going to be equally as strong or physically sound and have an incredible base but at the current time Hall is more developed both physically and mentally for obvious reasons.

Aside from that, here's my predicted lineup with Jones injured.

Hall-Nuge-Eberle
Yakupov-Gagner-Hemsky
Smyth-Horcoff-Hartikainen
Petrell-Belanger-Eager
(?)

Whitney-Smid
Schultz-Schultz
Peckham-Petry
I can see Paajarvi being the first call-up and likely sticking around for a game or two early in the season depending on his performance.

Last edited by Grod: 01-09-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Grod is offline   Reply With Quote