HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2013 Oilers Preview (Season Starts In Van on Jan. 20th)

Old
01-08-2013, 07:50 AM
Everlasting

vCash: 500
As long as Lander is in the team, i dont care. He is too talented to be in the NHL. I just hope that the damn coach realises that this time. Besides, its not like the Oilers are a plafoff contender anyway, Belangers experience can be sacrifaced

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:51 AM
TheBusDriver
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Harti - RNH- Eberle
Hall - Gagner - Hemsky
Smyth - Horcoff - Yakupov
PRV - Belanger - Eager

TheBusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:53 AM
TheBusDriver
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
As long as Lander is in the team, i dont care. He is too talented to be in the NHL. I just hope that the damn coach realises that this time. Besides, its not like the Oilers are a plafoff contender anyway, Belangers experience can be sacrifaced
Im sorry but Lander can barely score in the AHL let alone the NHL. Hes not good enough yet.

TheBusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:57 AM
MisterD
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Hall - RNH - Eberle
Hemsky - Gagner - Yakupov
Smyth - Horcoff - Hartikainen
Eager - Belanger - Petrell
Hordichuk

Smid - Petry
J. Schultz - N. Schultz
Whitney - Peckham
Potter

Dubnyk
Khabi/Danis

PP1

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Yakupov - J. Schultz

PP2

Smyth - Gagner - Hemsky
Whitney - Petry

MisterD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:58 AM
Worraps

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBusDriver View Post
Harti - RNH- Eberle
Hall - Gagner - Hemsky
Smyth - Horcoff - Yakupov
PRV - Belanger - Eager
Are you Mikhail Varnakov?

Worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:00 AM
Baronsfan

Quote:
lol wut? Anton Lander too talented to not be in the NHL? Not to rain on your parade, but Lander will be in OKC for the next while I would presume. He will get more ice time, and will be relied on heavily to contribute more offensively. He will be playing in all situations.

Anton has played well the last 10 or so games, but saying he is too talented to not be in the NHL is far fetched. Lander is a guy who doesn't even stand out in the AHL, so while his talent level is fine for the role he will be looked to fill in EDM, it just doesn't make much sense for a young guy like him to be playing 8 min. a night in EDM.

Baronsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:02 AM
MisterD
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
hall - rnh - eberle (obvious chemistry important in a short season)
hartikanin - gagner - yakupov (easy minutes, offensive face off zone brigade)
hemsky - horc - smyth (obvious chemistry important in a short season)
eager - belanger - tba

these lines give us a good shot at success. Two lines have played together in the past or this season. The Horcoff line would do the heavy lifting (tough opposition, defensive zone starts), the Gagner line is sheltered in order to develop yakupov.
I like these lines. Provides good balance on each line.

MisterD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:03 AM
khandom09

Quote:
eager - belanger - tba

these lines give us a good shot at success. Two lines have played together in the past or this season. The Horcoff line would do the heavy lifting (tough opposition, defensive zone starts), the Gagner line is sheltered in order to develop yakupov.
it doesnt really make sense to out hemsky and smyth on their off wing on the same line...

Hall-rnh-eberle
Yakupov-gagner-hemsky
Smyth-horcoff-hartikainen(in for jones)
Eager-belanger-petrell

Extra:hordichuk

Smid-petry
Schultz-schultz
Whitney-?

Potter, Peckham, teubert

Dubnyk
Khabi

Injuries: sutton, jones

khandom09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:26 AM
nabob
:]

Quote:
eager - belanger - tba

I think the TBA almost would have to be Petrell, especially with Jones out for a bit.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:32 AM
McCupofOil
Hunting A Cup

Hall-Gagner-Eberle (Meshed well together last season and i'm not a fan of the Hall-RNH-Eberle combination like a lot of you are, i don't see the great chemistry there)
Hartikainen-RNH-Yakupov (Get a physical presence who can win puck battles on a line with our 2 most skilled players. RNH is a great fit for Yakupov IMO although them both being lefties might complicate matters.)
Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky (Spreads out the scoring over 3 lines with Hemsky here plus they have played together in the past so there's familiarity)
Eager-Belanger-Petrell (Eager better up his physical game or his days are numbered here. Belanger needs to bounce back, i think he will)

Smid-Petry (Obvious, Can't break these 2 up after the chemistry they developed last season)
N. Schultz-J. Schultz (Nick is the perfect compliment to Justin, i really hope that Krueger doesn't pair Whitney with Justin but i fear that he will)
Whitney-Peckham/Potter ()

McCupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:44 AM
The Perfect Human*

I don't understand slotting Hartikainen into the top-6 right away...

Yakupov-RNH-Eberle
Hall-Gagner-Hemsky
Smyth-Horcoff-MPS/Jones
Hartikainen-Belanger-Petrell

If Hartikainen looks ready...

Hartikainen/Hall-RNH-Eberle
Hall/Hartikainen-Gagner-Yakupov
Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky
Petrell-Belanger-Jones

If Hartikainen can be that ideal 25-25-50 complementary player on that line with RNH/Ebs (a bit like Holmstrom with Zetter/Dats on Detroit a few years back), it'll allow us to spread the talent and create an intimidating secondary scoring line with Hall and Yakupov.

That 3rd line is perhaps the best in the league if Horcoff can re-gain any semblance of his old self (even a 35pt season would suffice).

Smid-Petry
Whitney-J.Schultz
N.Schultz-_______

(ideally we can get someone in that ____ slot before the season starts so Peckham isn't a regular)

Dubnyk
Khabibulin

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:53 AM
Everlasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBusDriver View Post
Im sorry but Lander can barely score in the AHL let alone the NHL. Hes not good enough yet.
Im sorry but Lander is not that type of forward. He is best used deffesnivley. He is strong, fast, smart, levelheaded and a leader. But he also has talent some talent offensive area. Just look at his last SEL season. However, in his last nhl adventure, he was not given the chance to show that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronsfan View Post
lol wut? Anton Lander too talented to not be in the NHL? Not to rain on your parade, but Lander will be in OKC for the next while I would presume. He will get more ice time, and will be relied on heavily to contribute more offensively. He will be playing in all situations.

Anton has played well the last 10 or so games, but saying he is too talented to not be in the NHL is far fetched. Lander is a guy who doesn't even stand out in the AHL, so while his talent level is fine for the role he will be looked to fill in EDM, it just doesn't make much sense for a young guy like him to be playing 8 min. a night in EDM.
Its not at all. You obviously did not see him play in SEL. If would get 12+ minutes in NHL this season, just for a couple of games. You will also see that
I have not seen him play in the AHL so i dont know how his transition to the NA style has been. He might be one of those players who will need some time there and then when he comes to the NHL, he is fantastic. But he is really talented. You guys have just not seen him that much.

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:56 AM
McCupofOil
Hunting A Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
I don't understand slotting Hartikainen into the top-6 right away...

Yakupov-RNH-Eberle
Hall-Gagner-Hemsky
Smyth-Horcoff-MPS/Jones
Hartikainen-Belanger-Petrell

Why not? He hasn't looked out of place in the top 6 in the past and he has improved a good deal this season so i say why not? It's not like he's a kid anymore plus it allows Hemsky to slot down to the 3rd line to play at his natural position and allows the scoring to be spread out over 3 lines.
Your lineup is a 2 line team with Yakupov on his off wing.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:06 AM
OilerTyler
Fire MacT!

I highly doubt Hemsky starts the year on the third line.

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:12 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
I think a Hemsky/Yakupov combination could be like Hemsky/Sykora on steroids. Yakupov has the best one timer on the team that works out great for Hemsky.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:18 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 2627
So Lander is the new Omark, nice.

As for lines
Hall-Nuge-Eberle
Hemsky-Gagner-Yakupov
Smyth-Horcoff-Hartikannen/Petrell
Eager-Belanger-Hatikannen/Petrell

I think Petrell could end up on the 3rd line simply as it could be used as a shutdown line and at the moment I think he's got the edge in that department.

As for the d, I have no idea. If the plan is to run 3 pairing equally then what has been posted above with Smid-Petry, Schultz-Schultz, Whitney-Peckham makes sense. But if Krueger wants to ease Schultz in and give Whitney a bigger role then I think J.Schultz switches with Whitney.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:19 AM
McCupofOil
Hunting A Cup

Quote:
It won't be a 3rd line per se. They would roll out the 3 lines equally, each line brings a different dynamic to the table. It's better than keeping this as a top heavy 1 or 2 line team.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:52 AM
Truth Movement

Posted in the other eight page thread about this topic, but I'll drop mine here:

Hall-Gagner-Eberle
Smyth-RNH-Yakupov
Hartikainen-Horcoff-Hemsky
Eager-Belanger-Petrell

I'd say that's a balanced roster that diversifies the high end talent a little bit.

Truth Movement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:53 AM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
It won't be a 3rd line per se. They would roll out the 3 lines equally, each line brings a different dynamic to the table. It's better than keeping this as a top heavy 1 or 2 line team.
with the highly compressed schedule, rolling 3-4 lines will be very important.A team relying on 1 line or 1 defence pairing will be in trouble.

IMO, the Hemsky - Horc - Smyth line would see a lot of minutes, especially in tight games.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:01 AM
bucks_oil

Quote:
eager - belanger - tba

I agree with these for all the reasons stated. If the gags line needs a little more zip and the horc line needs a little more grunt, I switch harti and hemmer.

When he comes back, Jones slots in where he should be, as a great fourth liner on a team with depth, until then alternate Petrell, Hordi and Paajarvi (if he earns it).

Paajarvi (if he really blows socks off) gets a chance with Gags and Yakupov.... otherwise next year he gets the chance or replaces Smyth.

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:05 AM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Hall-Gagner-Eberle (Meshed well together last season and i'm not a fan of the Hall-RNH-Eberle combination like a lot of you are, i don't see the great chemistry there)
Hartikainen-RNH-Yakupov (Get a physical presence who can win puck battles on a line with our 2 most skilled players. RNH is a great fit for Yakupov IMO although them both being lefties might complicate matters.)
Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky (Spreads out the scoring over 3 lines with Hemsky here plus they have played together in the past so there's familiarity)
Eager-Belanger-Petrell (Eager better up his physical game or his days are numbered here. Belanger needs to bounce back, i think he will)

Smid-Petry (Obvious, Can't break these 2 up after the chemistry they developed last season)
N. Schultz-J. Schultz (Nick is the perfect compliment to Justin, i really hope that Krueger doesn't pair Whitney with Justin but i fear that he will)
I can live with these as well.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:10 AM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Im sorry but Lander is not that type of forward. He is best used deffesnivley. He is strong, fast, smart, levelheaded and a leader. But he also has talent some talent offensive area. Just look at his last SEL season. However, in his last nhl adventure, he was not given the chance to show that

Its not at all. You obviously did not see him play in SEL. If would get 12+ minutes in NHL this season, just for a couple of games. You will also see that
I have not seen him play in the AHL so i dont know how his transition to the NA style has been. He might be one of those players who will need some time there and then when he comes to the NHL, he is fantastic. But he is really talented. You guys have just not seen him that much.
I'm a huge Lander fan... but I agree with the others. I watched every game last year and he's not ready yet. His positioning was a little too timid for the smaller ice (even defensively). He needs to be a leader with the Barons first.

I don't know why you would push for him to be thrown to the wolves now. Let him get some experience playing in all roles in a league that plays similarly to the NHL. It won't take long for him to re-adjust his hockey sense to the North American game.

Once he does, I expect him to be a very reliable and solid NHLer. No need to ruin his confidence in the big show yet (and that is EXACTLY what was happening to him last year).

He'll be in the AHL this year playing with one of Harti or PRV, so he'll have a potential future linemate to build chemistry with... nothing wrong with that.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:18 AM
bucks_oil

Quote:
That "third line" is going to get a tonne of minutes at EV and outscore the opponents. When they are going offensively, they'll be fed even more minutes. Smyth and Horc have been super-complementary to Hemsky over the years whereas I feel few others have benefitted playing on his line.

He'll also play on the powerplay with Yak, so there will be plenty of opportunity for cross-seam one timers. It makes a perfect asymetric mirror with pp one

-------Horc------
Eberle-----------Hall
-------------------
--------------RNH
-----Shultz--------

------Smyth-------
Gags----------------
---------------Yak--
Hemmer-------------
------Whitney------

Old
01-08-2013, 10:20 AM
Truth Movement

Quote:

I like these except that I think the Oilers need to do whatever they can to avoid having a line that absolutely requires soft minutes.. That second line is simply not good enough to handle tough checking or an opposing line with skill. I say swap Smyth and Hartikainen. Smyth can be a good defensive conscience for the two No. 1's and Hartikainen can benefit from Hemsky's skill. This lineup needs complimentary balance - Harti-RNH-Yak could go supernova, but I have a feeling they will need a more stable presence somewhere in there.

Truth Movement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:11 AM
Johnny McBravo
Hello Connor

More players showing up today!

Johnny McBravo is offline   Reply With Quote