HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins 2013 (and beyond) lineup discussion | Contract chart in Post #1

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 05:51 AM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0NTY26 View Post
I don't know where else to put this, but it's time to do a little ribbing on James Neal. He retweeted this, meaning he must follow the guy.
Justin Bieber cares for hockey? I thought this is a man's game.

Old
01-07-2013, 06:04 AM
Dangles78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick Stanley View Post
Justin Bieber cares for hockey? I thought this is a man's game.

Old
01-07-2013, 06:34 AM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
I don't know where else to put this, but it's time to do a little ribbing on James Neal. He retweeted this, meaning he must follow the guy.
Anything tagging this guy to the Pens is bad news, "can't stand," Justin Blabber.

James say it isn't so, lost some respect for you, what are you, 12?

Old
01-07-2013, 06:37 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Zbynek Michalek for Harrison Roupp, goalie Marc Chevrie and a third-round pick.

Given the new CBA, and now that we know the details including a $70 m. then $65 m. cap, does the trade look any better now? The consensus was that he was not fitting our system, though he looked good when he first came here. However, given the possibility of buyout opportunities for pickups, and the depth we have in the system, were we smart to clear room? Or is the opposite true, given we had a year at $11 m. more cap space than we currently are using, was it a worse deal in hindsight?

As an aside the pick became Oskar Sundqvist.
I felt like we could've gotten more for him but with the new caps it's probably the best we could've gotten to give us space and a few prospects.

Old
01-07-2013, 07:18 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

don't like his music, but Bieber is a pretty funny kid. Funny or Die turning into Bieber or Die was classic.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:33 AM
SteelFish87*

when is the schedule released/created?

Old
01-07-2013, 10:07 AM
Epic Neal Time

Would anyone be on board with Hjalmarsson as a trade target?

Old
01-07-2013, 10:08 AM
JTG

I like Hjalmarsson, but I think he'd very quickly turn into the whipping boy here. Very quickly.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:12 AM
Epic Neal Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I like Hjalmarsson, but I think he'd very quickly turn into the whipping boy here. Very quickly.
He turned into one in Chicago very quickly. But I just like his game. I'd take him over Gonch, I think. He brings more of what we need.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:13 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Or someone else he follows retweeted it (so he did the same just for fans like you ), or he's being a smart-ass / clowning around. We are not privy to the insider humor of the Pens roster. We are not worthy... although with the lockout technically I don't think they're entitled to humor either. Quit dicking around and get to work you millionaires!

Old
01-07-2013, 10:30 AM
Rectify
I need a job.

Neal and Bieber could have a love affair for all I care, as long as he keeps scoring goals and keeps out playing his contract, I will turn a blind eye to his musical preferences.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:29 AM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
As discussed in the other thread, they could give Crosby and Malkin some time on the PK.
Not trying to drag that thread into here, but it's a valid point that needs to be addressed. The question is why would one want to considering the forward depth we have at PK? Having Glass/Vitale in the 5/6 spot is pretty big because they could potentially fill in for one of the top 4 PK without a major drop in talent there. Additionally, while the #5/6 spot will only get 30-40 seconds/game, I feel that Vitale will develop into a very respectable penalty killer in the future so this is a good way for him to get some experience there without putting too much responsibility on him. Our PK depth at forwards is quite good and the departure of Staal should not hurt much given the addition of Sutter and Glass. Adams is still there if we need him and still played well in both the regular and playoffs (not a typo) season last year.

The much bigger spot to fill will be Michalek's. He was our top PK'er last season and logged a ton of minutes so his departure will elevate the responsibility of everyone else. Going back to our PK depth chart, significant concerns are there regarding the current top 4 and those below them. Niskanen will not be able to provide any quality PK time and Despres is likely not ready to handle significant minutes. Hopefully Engelland can handle increased PK time. An injury to Orpik or the like could expose some major holes in our PK and shows why we need someone like Bortuzzo in our lineup.

Last edited by UnrealMachine: 01-07-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old
01-07-2013, 11:35 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Neal probably hates Bieber's music like the rest of us but Bieber is super famous so it's pretty cool that he's tweeting about hockey being back. It's good publicity.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:36 AM
Hottubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Neal probably hates Bieber's music like the rest of us but Bieber is super famous so it's pretty cool that he's tweeting about hockey being back. It's good publicity.
Im pretty sure they are from the same area too

Old
01-07-2013, 11:43 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottubber View Post
Im pretty sure they are from the same area too
Didn't know that. That could explain some things and it's possible Bieber is a cool kid in real life that just sings the terrible crap he sings for the easy money.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:49 AM
seabs926

They're not really from the same area. Statford to Whitby is about two hours depending on the traffic.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:52 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabs926 View Post
They're not really from the same area. Statford to Whitby is about two hours depending on the traffic.
Alright. I guess me and hottubber aren't Canadian geography experts. Sorry.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:33 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabs926 View Post
i'd call two hours within the realm of the "same area." in so far as it goes to establishing 'geographic kinship."

Old
01-07-2013, 12:42 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
i'd call two hours within the realm of the "same area." in so far as it goes to establishing 'geographic kinship."
The rest of North America isn't like California and their metro areas.

****...2 hours from Pittsburgh is Erie.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:43 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator

I can barely get to Anaheim in 2 hours

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
01-07-2013, 12:59 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
The rest of North America isn't like California and their metro areas.
fair enough. i was being generous anyways. the distance from San Francisco to Morgan Hill (a small town where my folks live and the last town in the "Bay Area") is an hour and a half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
I can barely get to Anaheim in 2 hours
and you'd go to Anaheim why? disneyland?

Quote:
the twitter thread, my friend. it's even a sticky.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:11 PM
deakka

So i hear Ottawa are thin on the backend, and we just happens to have an abundance of defensemen. How about we trade them one? Do they have any forward-prospects? If not a pick would be nice,

Old
01-07-2013, 01:17 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
and you'd go to Anaheim why? disneyland?

Buena Park, close enough.

Ottawa needs defenders, but they don't need bottom pairing guys, they need a top four guy who can take over the minutes they lost when Kuba walked.

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 01-07-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old
01-07-2013, 01:19 PM
TheSniper26
No cure for being...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
So i hear Ottawa are thin on the backend, and we just happens to have an abundance of defensemen. How about we trade them one? Do they have any forward-prospects? If not a pick would be nice,
Our abundance of dmen are mostly good prospects though. Why would we trade one of them for a pick when, at best, the pick will turn into what we already have: a good prospect. If we move any of our young dmen prospects it should be for an NHL ready top 6 winger only in my opinion.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:38 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSniper26 View Post
Our abundance of dmen are mostly good prospects though. Why would we trade one of them for a pick when, at best, the pick will turn into what we already have: a good prospect. If we move any of our young dmen prospects it should be for an NHL ready top 6 winger only in my opinion.
Yeah, I addressed this on the trade board regarding the Pens' defensive prospects. And they likely have the deepest and most talented pool of backend prospects in the league. At some point something will have to give, there are not enough roster spots for the talent there, even given that some will flame out as some prospects inevitably do. But there is a problem with Shero's theory ' PMD's are soooooo valuable, you can always trade them for other needs.' And it shows in this thread. Prospects are not worth a lot, even great prospects. The real value is young players who have gone through the growing pains and proven something. A Gogo then can get you a Neal and Niskanen perhaps. But that was a Goligoski who had gone through several very painful years of suckage learning his craft and who finally was coming into his own. He was a turnover machine when he first came up.

I know we value prospects over all here. Hence the site name. But in the real world they only will have much trade value once they move from prospects to young talented players.

And for a team like the Pens, whose stars are just entering their prime (can you believe Crosby is only 25? Malkin 26?), they can not afford to train young defensemen in their craft for two or three years to make them valuable. That is where Shero's plan seems to fall apart.

Closed Thread