HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins 2013 (and beyond) lineup discussion | Contract chart in Post #1

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2013, 08:26 AM
mpp9

vCash: 500
As long as he uses his size and foot speed to hunt pucks down, throw checks and go to the net, he's a lock to play with Geno. We don't have anyone else who can do that.

But I won't get my hopes up with the way this organization develops forward talent.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:30 AM
mpp9

Don't get your hopes up Kirk, heard in DB's interview Tangradi won't be on the 1st unit PP. Despite him having 4 inches and 20+ lbs on Kunitz and being developed to make an impact in front of the net.

Kunitz is a stopgap in that spot at best.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:02 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I always liked how Tangradi looked with Sid in limited shifts and in the 2009 preseason with Sid and Kunitz.

As for Geno, maybe I'm completely off in terms of the potential impact. BUT, if you think about it, we've never really seen him for more than a random shift with Geno, unless you count that misguided coaching idea to put him with Geno on RW and Hillary's hubby at center. Something tells me he'll fare a lot better this time around with Geno at center and Neal at RW.

BTW, Tangradi should play in front of the net on the PP at long last. He's the only guy on the roster who shows any consistency in terms of ability to screen a goalie on the PP.
If Tangradi is the player I believe him to be, he could eventually thrive with either Malkin or Crosby.

The key word is eventually.

With DB his leash is short, so I would just feel better if he was with Crosby, since I feel he can build more confidence off the bat with him, rather than Malkin.

We'll see what happens.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:10 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
If Tangradi is the player I believe him to be, he could eventually thrive with either Malkin or Crosby.

The key word is eventually.

With DB his leash is short, so I would just feel better if he was with Crosby, since I feel he can build more confidence off the bat with him, rather than Malkin.

We'll see what happens.
At least we hope we get to see. With DB, you never know.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:11 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Don't get your hopes up Kirk, heard in DB's interview Tangradi won't be on the 1st unit PP. Despite him having 4 inches and 20+ lbs on Kunitz and being developed to make an impact in front of the net.

Oh, I didn't expect otherwise.

Quote:
As long as he uses his size and foot speed to hunt pucks down, throw checks and go to the net, he's a lock to play with Geno. We don't have anyone else who can do that.

But I won't get my hopes up with the way this organization develops forward talent.
His speed, IMO, will be less of an issue with Geno. And, if he drives the net and wins puck battles during sustained offensive zone shifts more consistently than Kunitz, then he can be a real complement to Geno and Neal.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:50 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:

Jeezus.... the Disco Stubbornness factor raising its head already? Now would be the perfect time to give him a shot on the PP, making life difficult for the goalies. If he doesn't make good / show signs of adding another dimension to the PP, fine, put Kunitz there and we know what we get but why not try it early? Maybe they think he doesn't have the hands / reflexes for it (to be a Holmstrom type in that role)? The size is certainly there.

Quote:
I always liked how Tangradi looked with Sid in limited shifts and in the 2009 preseason with Sid and Kunitz.

As for Geno, maybe I'm completely off in terms of the potential impact. BUT, if you think about it, we've never really seen him for more than a random shift with Geno, unless you count that misguided coaching idea to put him with Geno on RW and Hillary's hubby at center. Something tells me he'll fare a lot better this time around with Geno at center and Neal at RW.

BTW, Tangradi should play in front of the net on the PP at long last. He's the only guy on the roster who shows any consistency in terms of ability to screen a goalie on the PP.
Some interesting points. I think I agree with you. I do recall his best shifts / impression on me as being the ones with Crosby. Typical case of Sid making the people around him better players, as long as they aren't knucle-draggers (or Tyler Kennedy).

Old
01-14-2013, 11:11 AM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 193
You guys are nuts if you think Tangradi is going to start on the first power play simply because he's got size on Kunitz. Kunitz is a 60 point guy and there's more to being on the power play outside of being a huge body, even in front of the net, as evidenced by every useless big body NHLer ever not being on the power play simply because of their size. CK definitely brings more than Tangradi on the PP.

Maybe eventually he can take over that role, but to start the season over Kunitz? No way.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:16 AM
mpp9

Kunitz doesn't have the size to get to loose pucks around the net. Tangradi does. Kunitz doesn't have the size to properly screen goalies. Tangradi does.

Kunitz is a more effective player at ES at this point for sure. But he's only on the PP b/c we don't have anyone else for that spot.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:19 AM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 193
You don't need to be Chara to screen a goalie. Sure it helps, but anybody can do it and Kunitz does it well. He finds pucks around the net all the time too, so I don't see where the concern is too.

Our powerplay was fifth last year anyways, minus Sid, why would DB change it? Not going to happen.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:40 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Looks like Toronto didn't claim MacIntyre in the end.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:55 AM
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.

Not comparing Big Buff to Tangradi in terms of skill, but what we need on the power play is a guy that has te size and body strength to be that net presence that give goalies and defenders fits during the power play. A few years ago on Chicago's cup run the had just that in Buff. And it worked very well.

Again not comparing the two in terms of skill sets or anything. But Tangradi is the only guy on this roster that could be that for us, maybe not first PP unit right off the bat. But he needs a full sample size of being that net guy even if it's on 2nd unit.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:41 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
Problem is, Malone was already established and not waiting on someone to get him started.

ET gets his criticism with well earned due diligence. You can't compare him to Malone because, he hasn't established himself yet in the NHL. The only aspect of his game is standing still in front of a goaltender.

They essentially neutered him. A Big Dog who won't hunt. Yep, he shouldn't hold onto that name.
Malone only established himself because we sucked at the time, and give him a legit shot - something ET's never had.

"It’s not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, it’s as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Old
01-14-2013, 12:50 PM
Riptide

Quote:
If I'm Shero, I'm looking at taking full advantage of my cap space. Big money contracts that expire before 2014/2015. We'll see what teams are looking to move them.
Anyone willing to take a shot on Heatley if he could be had at an affordable price? I know I'd much rather have Seto, and that DH has been on the decline the last few years, that he's a lefty, big cap hit, yada yada yada. But he could still be an asset to the team. Things would be tight capwise for next year, but not impossible.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:56 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Anyone willing to take a shot on Heatley if he could be had at an affordable price? I know I'd much rather have Seto, and that DH has been on the decline the last few years, that he's a lefty, big cap hit, yada yada yada. But he could still be an asset to the team. Things would be tight capwise for next year, but not impossible.
Why would Heatley be available? I'd definitely be interested if he was available, but Minny isn't going to part with him unless the return is huge.

Old
01-14-2013, 01:00 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Malone only established himself because we sucked at the time, and give him a legit shot - something ET's never had.
Yeah, but even then, Malone never reached the level that got him the deal he got with TB until he played with Geno and Sykora. He always showed glimpses with Sid, but then there would be the times that it seemed like he just was trying to keep up.

Old
01-14-2013, 01:18 PM
Hottubber

#Oilers acquire defenceman Mark Fistric from the Dallas Stars in exchange for a third-round selection in the 2013 #NHLDraft

Old
01-14-2013, 01:24 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottubber View Post
#Oilers acquire defenceman Mark Fistric from the Dallas Stars in exchange for a third-round selection in the 2013 #NHLDraft
Fistric is a UFA, which makes him a rental. That said, Dallas might have gotten more at the deadline. Good deal for Edmonton, IMO.

Old
01-14-2013, 01:39 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Why would Heatley be available? I'd definitely be interested if he was available, but Minny isn't going to part with him unless the return is huge.
I didn't say he would be. But with the cap going down, things will be tight for them - not impossible, but tight.

Old
01-14-2013, 01:42 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
Fistric is a UFA, which makes him a rental. That said, Dallas might have gotten more at the deadline. Good deal for Edmonton, IMO.
He's an upgrade over Theo Peckham.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:03 PM
Riptide

Quote:
He might not be a rental. He's an Edmonton native. Not that that means much. They have a lot of prospects coming up over the next 2-3 years (much like us).

Old
01-14-2013, 02:14 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Fistric is a guy i'd love to try out here in Pittsburgh. I want anyone with a bit of a mean defensive streak. Too bad we didn't get to see it.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:30 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Fistric is a guy i'd love to try out here in Pittsburgh. I want anyone with a bit of a mean defensive streak. Too bad we didn't get to see it.
Passed on Allen. Weren't willing to give up a 3rd for Fistric. Still say they stand pat on D giving Engelland and Bortuzzo larger roles or go after someone they know fits the system. Just my gut feeling.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:42 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I wouldn't mind him either... However, he's never played more than 16:30 a game (avg). That puts him on the 2-3rd pairing. Unless he's capable of 18-20 min night, what difference is there between him and Engelland? Because getting someone like Fistric, we'd almost certainly have to move Engelland.

Letang - Orpik
Martin - ???
Niskanen - Fistric
Bort/Strait

I'd listed him in the top 4 dman thread as someone we could look at... but after thinking about it a bit, I'm not sure where he'd fit. Unless they think he can play 18-20min a game - in which case yes we should have grabbed him. Play him on the 2nd pairing with Martin, and let the rookies battle it out for the 6th spot.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:39 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

I think at this point the Pens just have to see what they have with their glut of homegrown defensemen. Unless we're talking about a bona fide top-pairing guy, trading for a blueliner can probably wait for the deadline.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:48 PM
JTG

I have a question with the new re-signing rule. So is it that a player can be re-signed by 8 years if re-signed by the club he was with the previous season, or is it just guys drafted by said team?

If it's guys who played out their current contract with the old squad, say we traded for a top pairing guy on an expiring contract at the deadline, we could then sign him for 8 years instead of 7 correct? If that's how the rule goes, deadline deals could be interesting for elite players and teams seeking those players. If the guy is young, you'd rather get him on your squad before he hits free agency, and if you're a player who wants to play on that squad, it'd work out best for you to try to get that extra year.

Closed Thread