HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins 2013 (and beyond) lineup discussion | Contract chart in Post #1

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2013, 05:44 PM
Riptide

vCash: 500
If they can get him cheaply, then sure why not? But I don't see STL giving him away for anything less than a 2nd/3rd.

I'm not sure if I'd pay a 2nd for him. But would do it for a 3rd.

"It’s not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, it’s as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Old
01-15-2013, 05:57 PM
mpp9

They'll need him after Stewart becomes a Pen.

Old
01-15-2013, 06:40 PM
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
If they can get him cheaply, then sure why not? But I don't see STL giving him away for anything less than a 2nd/3rd.

I'm not sure if I'd pay a 2nd for him. But would do it for a 3rd.
I was thinking an AHL forward + 3rd would probably get him.

Old
01-15-2013, 06:59 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Stewart came into camp 15lbs lighter, and should be a LOT better than he was last year. I do not see STL trading him unless someone is paying top dollar. Could we get him if we wanted to overpay (and not kill our current roster)? Probably, but am not going to hold my breath waiting for it to happen.

Old
01-15-2013, 07:10 PM
mpp9

He'll be worth a premium return. If Martin, Niskanen and Despres all have excellent seasons, we have the ability to land him IMO.

Old
01-15-2013, 07:29 PM
Sivek

D'Agostini is essentially St. Louis's TK. Not a clear upgrade over any of the currently existing parts of the top-9.

Plus if Agostino and D'Agostino make it as Pens and D'Agostini is still around, **** would be way too complicated.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:38 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
D'Agostini is essentially St. Louis's TK. Not a clear upgrade over any of the currently existing parts of the top-9.
I know very little about him, other than that he was traded, and then had a great season. His numbers dropped the following season (so did games played, and slight drop in icetime).

He might not be a clear upgrade over anyone... but who knows... sometimes players just need a chance to succeed. See Matt Molson. And his RHS is something that we really really need.

But at some point Shero will need to address our forward situation, and as much as we'd all like him to land a great player to play with Crosby and Malkin, they might not be available... so I can live with him finding acceptable players on the cheap who might work until he can land that star.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:39 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Ahhhh the dream.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:06 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
It does make me chuckle how often we hear D'Agostini to Pittsburgh floated around this board (more the trade board than here) when the guy is basically an exact clone of Tyler Kennedy...except Kennedy's disappointing season last year was better than D'Agostini's disappointing season.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
01-16-2013, 02:25 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
It does make me chuckle how often we hear D'Agostini to Pittsburgh floated around this board (more the trade board than here) when the guy is basically an exact clone of Tyler Kennedy...except Kennedy's disappointing season last year was better than D'Agostini's disappointing season.
And they're both from the same place - Sault Ste Marie. But even if they're the exact same player... IF he can be acquired cheaply, what risk is there to trying it?

Old
01-16-2013, 05:12 AM
JTG

Because people ***** about Kennedy and how he's nothing more than a 3rd liner, but think D'Agostini is the answer to a top 6 option. If D'Agostini is a top 6 option, so is Kennedy, and we don't have to give up any assets for Kennedy.

Old
01-16-2013, 08:36 AM
ds246pit

I'm not sold on Lovejoy as a bottom pairing dman. Once bought out i'd consider giving Redden a look if he signs at minimum or close to it for 1 year. He's been in the AHL due to contract but he has a few things that will fit the system.

1) Decent size 6'2
2) Good pucking moving skills
3) Left Handed
4) Smart decision maker
5) Has played on a shut-down roll in the past

Granted i don't know where his skills are at currently but given his history he might be a good addition for the season.

Old
01-16-2013, 08:55 AM
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Because people ***** about Kennedy and how he's nothing more than a 3rd liner, but think D'Agostini is the answer to a top 6 option. If D'Agostini is a top 6 option, so is Kennedy, and we don't have to give up any assets for Kennedy.
I realize exactly what D'Agostini is in terms of comparison to Kennedy. More of what my point was is we have questions at forward, what are the chances both Bennett and Tangradi both work out to fit into our top six? Unlikely. In a realalistic scenario we can expect one of the two to pan out for this season.

And D'Agostini is not a legit top six winger. He is a plugger. Ideal 3rd line winger... But along with the unlikelihood of both our slotted forward protects working out... In this shortened season mentality/trade market the likelihood of getting a legit top six forward in trade is also probably not going to happen.

So without trade... What are we left with? Assuming... Only one of Bennett or Tangradi works out we still have an empty wing, are we going to bump Cooke up? Kennedy? Jeffrey? They would all be pluggers, so... If we are going to be using that to fill an empty wing. My point was D'Agostini could be had fairly cheaply. Add a RH shot. And cost vs benefit... Probably be a good option to add some depth to the forward group.

But do not get me wrong, he is not a legit top six solution on wing.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:40 AM
JTG

If any player could be had for cheap, I see no reason to take the shot on them if they could help out the team. The thing that is irritating is people clamor over one guy, claiming he's going to help the top 6, which in fact, he probably isn't.

Tyler Kennedy is a right handed shot too, and it's a pretty good shot at that. I see no reason to bring in D'Agostini, and give him preferential treatment over Kennedy. Kennedy has actually been more productive in his career thus far.

I'd bring in D'Agostini, not to play a top 6 role specifically, but to be a rover all over the lineup as he can play in a multitude of situations and both wings. He's just a good insurance policy, barring he could be had for a late round pick.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:52 AM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Ahhhh the dream.
Having Neal and Stewart on this team would be disgusting. If Neal can work in his role on the PP, adding Stewart as a net front guy and RHS?

Old
01-16-2013, 11:28 AM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I'd bring in D'Agostini, not to play a top 6 role specifically, but to be a rover all over the lineup as he can play in a multitude of situations and both wings. He's just a good insurance policy, barring he could be had for a late round pick.
uh, so per the trade board he's apparently he's worth a #3-4 defensemen. seems like a lot of a healthy scratch.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:32 AM
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
uh, so per the trade board he's apparently he's worth a #3-4 defensemen. seems like a lot of a healthy scratch.
Naaa, his value is at a 2nd or a 3rd + AHL forward.

Old
01-16-2013, 05:49 PM
JTG

His value right now isn't as high as it may be at the deadline. I'd give a 3rd or 4th now...if we were some depth away from being the best team in the East, I'd consider a 2nd.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:21 PM
Malkinstheman

I know it doesnt mean much but fleury looked pretty shaky today hopefully its just rust form the long offseason

Old
01-16-2013, 10:52 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkinstheman View Post
I know it doesnt mean much but fleury looked pretty shaky today hopefully its just rust form the long offseason
Yeah, he picked up right where he left off last year.

Although Vokoun also looked shaky so maybe the goalies are still a bit rusty.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:59 PM
jrm2054

Both goalies had rust tonight

Old
01-17-2013, 10:18 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
A few years ago I think I would've taken on D'Agostini but I wouldn't now.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:50 PM
Riptide

Any reason to take a chance on Connolly? Is free, a RHS, and some skill. Cap wouldn't be an issue this year, and is on the last yr of his deal. Although I suspect that Vancouver picks him up with the injuries they've had to their 2nd line.

Old
01-17-2013, 03:37 PM
mgd525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Any reason to take a chance on Connolly? Is free, a RHS, and some skill. Cap wouldn't be an issue this year, and is on the last yr of his deal. Although I suspect that Vancouver picks him up with the injuries they've had to their 2nd line.
He's so fragile at this point. I think he could help on the powerplay but he makes a lot of money for what he would bring. I doubt the Penguins want to pay someone 5 million to see if he might work out.

Old
01-17-2013, 04:08 PM
Malkinstheman

anyone think we should pick up leland irving off waiver? seems like a great pickup

Closed Thread