HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Penguins 2013 (and beyond) lineup discussion | Contract chart in Post #1

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 02:28 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhenya71 View Post
Strictly hypothetical: if Fleury craps the bed again and Martin disappoints, do you use your two buyouts on them?
not until we have replacements

Old
01-06-2013, 02:34 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
If Martin wets the bed again, then yes.

Fleury...absolutely not. Who are we supposed to replace him with - a 37 year-old Vokoun?

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
01-06-2013, 02:39 PM
Jaded-Fan

(from the first post):

2012-2013 salary ceiling: .................70,200,000
Projected cap spending: ..................59,033,333
Projected cap space: .......................11,166,667

It does drop next year significantly. 'The salary cap for the 2013-14 season would drop to $64.3 million from $70.2 million in 2012-13. Each team will be allowed two contract buyouts to get under the lowered cap.'

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/07/sp...ment.html?_r=0

But we have a ton of space to play with both this year and we are over $5 million even under next years' cap. Unlike the Suckos, Pens' ownership spends to the cap. hell they just raised ticket prices by quite a bit, then the strike, with all that I do not know what move they are going to make but I doubt that they end the season $11 million plus under the cap. I would have said expect the Pens to be aggressive in aquiring bought out players, but those do not take effect until this summer. Nut I do expect some moves.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:42 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post

Fleury...absolutely not. Who are we supposed to replace him with - a 37 year-old Vokoun?
Even if he does not wet the bed I pretty much expect a buyout of Martin this summer. We have too much backend talent that should be ready to step in by then, and the money would be better spent on Letang and on forwards. It would not bother me to see him go even if he has good play left in the tank. We got him for nothing as a FA so lose nothing if we buy him out this summer.

Fleury remains underrated and certainly is worth his contract. He is not the best in the league, but I am very comfortable with him as the goalie for this team.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:44 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Even if he does not wet the bed I pretty much expect a buyout of Martin this summer. We have too much backend talent that should be ready to step in by then, and the money would be better spent on Letang and on forwards. It would not bother me to see him go even if he has good play left in the tank. We got him for nothing as a FA so lose nothing if we buy him out this summer.

Fleury remains underrated and certainly is worth his contract. He is not the best in the league, but I am very comfortable with him as the goalie for this team.
next summer, I agree with Martin.

Are teams allowed to use the buyouts before then? I don't think we would, but other teams might if they can. Which could open up options for guys to bring in.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:44 PM
zhenya71

Quote:

Of course, it only makes sense with a viable replacement. I was assuming his hypothetical bad performance would stir the team to action when it comes to looking at replacements for him.

If we don't buy Fleury out, what do you realistically suggest we do if he stinks it up again?

Old
01-06-2013, 02:46 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Of course, it only makes sense with a viable replacement. I was assuming his hypothetical bad performance would stir the team to action when it comes to looking at replacements for him.

If we don't buy Fleury out, what do you realistically suggest we do if he stinks it up again?
let's cross that bridge if we get there

if you need a real answer, I suggest we play defense

Old
01-06-2013, 02:49 PM
AgentM

I'm extremely excited for hockey to be back, but I don't like the makeup of this team at this point. While I think we might get the best combined season out of Sid and Geno yet I am worried about the following:

- Dan Bylsma - Not a fan of his inability to make changes during a losing streak or especially during a playoff series. Plus his defensive system hasn't impressed me and if anything seems to have gotten less effective over time.

- Defense - Not sure if its a system problem or a personnel problem but our defense was horrific last year and I'm worried about it until we see it has been repaired.

- Wingers - Who finishes off the top 6 with Neal, Kunitz, and Dupuis? Will Dupuis be nearly as effective as last year? And how long before Bylsma moves Neal onto Sid's wing leaving Malkin with Kennedy and Tangradi?

Old
01-06-2013, 03:07 PM
Jaded-Fan

The one thing people are forgetting is that this team has at it's core grown up together, and is entering what for most great teams are the prime years for their players. Crosby is only 25 years old. Malkin 26. Almost hard to believe both remain so young. The extra time off for Crosby should be a welcome silver lining. I think that a lot of people may be surprised when the kids of this team enter their mature stage. Not just Malkin and Crosby, but Letang, Neal, Niskanen, Sutter, and Fleury all have room to grow. We were one of the top offenses in the league last year, top PP's too. That should only get better. They do need to get the defense into order but traditionally this team has been at least middle of the road defensively, if not very good before this past year. But overall I think that this team will surprise, mostly from within, as players mature.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:07 PM
Dick Sledge
The Tactleneck

How is Bennett's skating?

Old
01-06-2013, 03:16 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Quote:

Agree with this.

If Martin plays well, odds are he'll be traded prior to next deadline (after we ink Letang to his big extension).

If he plays poorly, he'll be traded for prospects or bought out.

The only way Fleury is getting bought out is he plays like crap and if Zatkoff goes berserk in the AHL, and we think he's ready to start in the NHL with Vokoun as his mentor. Seems very improbable.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:21 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
The only way Fleury is getting bought out is he plays like crap and if Zatkoff goes berserk in the AHL, and we think he's ready to start in the NHL with Vokoun as his mentor. Seems very improbable.
this scenario is pregnant with intrigue.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:26 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

I hope I have not created a monster that will play out every time Fleury loses a game.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:28 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
I hope I have not created a monster that will play out every time Fleury loses a game.
every time Fleury lets in a goal, this board is going to call for Vokoun. Every time he loses, they are going to call for Zatkoff becoming the backup to Vokoun. Its going to be a mess

Old
01-06-2013, 03:31 PM
wheelz87
Pens Predictor CHAMP

Quote:
Strictly hypothetical: if Fleury craps the bed again and Martin disappoints, do you use your two buyouts on them?
I've about had it with Martin, so I wouldn't be against it. Fluery on the other hand would be a mistake.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:35 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

So many people leaving Glass out of their lineups... I take it you've forgot about him, because he's surely better suited for ice time than some of the others in these lineups.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:37 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0NTY26 View Post
So many people leaving Glass out of their lineups... I take it you've forgot about him, because he's surely better suited for ice time than some of the others in these lineups.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:38 PM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
Lord Commander

Quote:

Old
01-06-2013, 03:38 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Haha.

Changing tack, I was going to ask this in another thread but:

Anyone have thoughts as to whether the current situation will encourage or discourage pre-deadline trades compared to most years (not just the Pens - the whole league)?

Old
01-06-2013, 03:40 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Haha.

Changing tack, I was going to ask this in another thread but:

Anyone have thoughts as to whether the current situation will encourage or discourage pre-deadline trades compared to most years (not just the Pens - the whole league)?
I think there will be a lot of cap inspired deals at this deadline.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:47 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Interesting seeing these two fight one another given how things played out.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:47 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Yea, I think we're in for an exciting year as far as player movement goes. A lot of change is about to happen, me thinks.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:51 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

That's my general belief as well. We'll see some buyouts obviously but most GMs would rather trade, even for less value (picks) than just buy a guy out. I think it will be a pretty crazy deadline. Especially for the teams already over $64M. Bruins, Wild (suck it, Liarpold), Canucks, Flames (this one surprised me -- further proof what J-Bo can do to a GM ), Flyers, Sharks, Blackhawks, Sabres.

Love seeing the Sharks there. A trade for Clowe would be outstanding if Shero can swing it. Can't really see a reason they'd trade him before a guy like Havlat, though (who is fra-gi-le and costs more).

Old
01-06-2013, 03:56 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

It seems like the Sharks are oh so close to blowing that team up. With this shortened season, maybe they underperform and go for a rebuild... A lot of interesting targets would present themselves.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:58 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0NTY26 View Post
It seems like the Sharks are oh so close to blowing that team up. With this shortened season, maybe they underperform and go for a rebuild... A lot of interesting targets would present themselves.
I can't shake this out of my brain even though I know it's a little black-and-gold-goggled:

Pens Get:
Clowe
Murray

Sharks Get:
2013 1st
Martin
Despres
+?
...someting like that.

Closed Thread