HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

B. Morrow to Pittsburgh

Old
01-12-2013, 06:11 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

vCash: 500
B. Morrow to Pittsburgh

I can't think of a return that wouldn't get shot down here right away, but I have a gut feeling the Pens could trade for Morrow before the deadline.

The two teams have dealt with each other recently, Morrow had a bad season last year, and the Malkin line thrived with Kunitz on it but now he's gone back to Sid. I figure Morrow could replace some of what Kunitz brought to that line, even if injuries have taken a toll on him.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 06:18 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
He should be available. Throw out some returns.

It'll be interesting to see what he looks like when the season starts. He's supposedly healthy right now but I'm not really buying it. He's slated to play on the 3rd line for now.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 06:19 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
I can't think of a return that wouldn't get shot down here right away, but I have a gut feeling the Pens could trade for Morrow before the deadline.

The two teams have dealt with each other recently, Morrow had a bad season last year, and the Malkin line thrived with Kunitz on it but now he's gone back to Sid. I figure Morrow could replace some of what Kunitz brought to that line, even if injuries have taken a toll on him.
Most likely a prospect (our Morrow for your Morrow? I don't know). If we are in a playoff position though, it's not happening....regardless of how he's performing. Morrow controls his fate with the NTC, after all.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 06:22 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Morrow for Morrow.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 06:26 PM
Cliff O Malley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Morrow for Morrow.
Yep. Obvious and reasonable. As a pens fan I would be okayish with that.

Cliff O Malley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 06:26 PM
Ogi1Kenobi

Quote:

He's been battling back injuries all season last year. The coach says he's back to 100%, but who knows what the story is with Morrow. He's either really motivated to get going or really bored and felt the need to say something.

If Dallas is battling for a playoff spot, I doubt GMJN trades him. If the Stars are long gone by the deadline, any team can acquire him. Depending on his play this season will determine what he's worth.

Eriksson-Benn-Jagr
Whitney-Roy-Ryder
Morrow-Eakin-Wandell
Nystrom-Fiddler-Garbutt

I can see Nystrom, Jagr, Ryder and Morrow on the trading block if Dallas is gone by the deadline.

Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 06:28 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
Most likely a prospect (our Morrow for your Morrow? I don't know). If we are in a playoff position though, it's not happening....regardless of how he's performing. Morrow controls his fate with the NTC, after all.
Can't imagine BM would yield a 1st rounder after the year he just had. I wouldn't agree to it.

Maybe something around Kennedy or Tangradi (if they're trying to save cash) or Martin (if they don't mind spending cash)?

Old
01-12-2013, 06:29 PM
BigBenSF*
Worst Behavior

vCash: 1441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff O Malley View Post
Yep. Obvious and reasonable. As a pens fan I would be okayish with that.
I sure as hell wouldn't.

BigBenSF* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 06:30 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Morrow for one of your d specs, assuming Morrow proves he's a top 6 guy again and we have a youngster who can fill his spot on the 3rd line.

Morrow for Morrow actually sounds decent, I'd be willing to add quite a bit as well.

Last edited by LatvianTwist: 01-12-2013 at 06:35 PM.
LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 06:30 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Do people really think Morrow would get a 1st at this point? I dunno, that sounds pretty unreasonable to me.

Old
01-12-2013, 06:31 PM
Ogi1Kenobi

I think the poster for Morrow for Morrow was being sarcastic. There's no way the Penguins do that trade.

Old
01-12-2013, 06:31 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
I find it a little strange that a team that acquired two solid vets via UFA would start selling off players as rentals. If Dallas wasn't looking to make a spash in the playoffs,why sign them in the first place?

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 06:33 PM
Ogi1Kenobi

Quote:
Do people really think Morrow would get a 1st at this point? I dunno, that sounds pretty unreasonable to me.
When teams a desperate, they tend to do stupid things. I agree that a 1st for Morrow at this stage of his career is unreasonable.

Old
01-12-2013, 06:35 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Ah, don't see that happening. Can't imagine BM would yield a 1st rounder after the year he just had.

Maybe something around Kennedy or Tangradi (if they're trying to save cash) or Martin (if they don't mind spending cash)?
I did say "I don't know" but, seeing as you'll be trading for him based on *this* season (and possibly beyond) and not the 2011-12 one and the fact that a prospect was a 1st rounder is truly inconsequential. A good prospect is a good prospect, no matter which round he was picked in.

From our perspective, if Morrow bounces back with good stats and we're still sure to miss a playoff spot, we're going to ask for somewhat of a premium in return for *our captain*- please don't forget that. If it's Joe Morrow, Despres, Tangradi, ____________(insert name) is immaterial. If you'd want him at that juncture under such conditions, we'd expect a good return and it's most likely a good prospect or a young roster player, which negates Martin (no, thanks).

Old
01-12-2013, 06:36 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Crazier deals have happened. Worse players have pulled better returns.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 06:36 PM
DavidBL

I don't want to thread hijack but what about a Lydman BM swap for Anaheim and Dallas? Problem I see with Pit is don't both Kunitz and Neal play LW as does BM? or does BM play RW as well.

DavidBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 06:37 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBL View Post
I don't want to thread hijack but what about a Lydman BM swap for Anaheim and Dallas? Problem I see with Pit is don't both Kunitz and Neal play LW as does BM? or does BM play RW as well.
Not within the division (for as long as we're division rivals, that is). Sorry.

Old
01-12-2013, 06:38 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogi1Kenobi View Post
When teams a desperate, they tend to do stupid things. I agree that a 1st for Morrow at this stage of his career is unreasonable.
If Morrow's only going to be used on the 3rd line at this point, I would think something centered around Kennedy and draft pick could work. TK can thrive in a 3rd line puck pursuit role and put up .5 PPG at half Morrow's price...he just doesn't really have the offensive IQ or creativity to make plays on a scoring line.

Old
01-12-2013, 06:42 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Brendan Morrow for Tyler Kennedy + Ben Lovejoy + 3rd round draft pick

MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 06:42 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
I did say "I don't know" but, seeing as you'll be trading for him based on *this* season (and possibly beyond) and not the 2011-12 one and the fact that a prospect was a 1st rounder is truly inconsequential. A good prospect is a good prospect, no matter which round he was picked in.

From our perspective, if Morrow bounces back with good stats and we're still sure to miss a playoff spot, we're going to ask for somewhat of a premium in return for *our captain*- please don't forget that. If it's Joe Morrow, Despres, Tangradi, ____________(insert name) is immaterial. If you'd want him at that juncture under such conditions, we'd expect a good return and it's most likely a good prospect or a young roster player, which negates Martin (no, thanks).
Well, if that happened, then of course his services would be at a premium. But we can only work with what we know now.

I mean, I could wax about what return my Pens could get for Martin if he returned to form, but that wouldn't get me very far, would it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBL View Post
Contrary to what a lot of outdated websites have him listed as, Neal has played RW exclusively since coming to Pittsburgh.

Old
01-12-2013, 06:44 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
Stars would likely want prospects for Morrow, not NHLers. Morrow would be replaced in the NHL lineup by Vincour/Wandell/R. Smith.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 06:49 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Stars would likely want prospects for Morrow, not NHLers. Morrow would be replaced in the NHL lineup by Vincour/Wandell/R. Smith.
Fair enough. Something like Tangradi and a draft pick/Strait/Bortuzzo?

Old
01-12-2013, 06:51 PM
Ogi1Kenobi

Quote:
If Morrow's only going to be used on the 3rd line at this point, I would think something centered around Kennedy and draft pick could work. TK can thrive in a 3rd line puck pursuit role and put up .5 PPG at half Morrow's price...he just doesn't really have the offensive IQ or creativity to make plays on a scoring line.
Morrow is playing on the third because he's more suited to a checking role than Whitney. I believe he can still play in an offensive role, but Dallas has more offense than last season so Morrow is the odd man out. Also, the Whitney-Roy-Ryder line looks like a defensive liability.

Old
01-12-2013, 06:52 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
Fair enough. Something like Tangradi and a draft pick/Strait/Bortuzzo?
Give them Tom Kühnhackl.

MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 06:57 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogi1Kenobi View Post
Morrow is playing on the third because he's more suited to a checking role than Whitney. I believe he can still play in an offensive role, but Dallas has more offense than last season so Morrow is the odd man out. Also, the Whitney-Roy-Ryder line looks like a defensive liability.
Right...I'm not saying Morrow couldn't be useful in a scoring line role somewhere (that's why I'd like to see if he can rekindle his game in Pittsburgh). I'm only saying that if that's the role he'd have in Dallas, then Kennedy could be a useful replacement as it's a role he's shown he can succeed in. But as was pointed out earlier, you seem to have some options in-house so that might not appeal to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
Give them Tom Kühnhackl.
I don't think the Kuhn's recent production or injury history is too appealing to any potential trade partner right now.