HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Sportsnet: Jamison group about to finalize Coyotes purchase

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2013, 03:34 PM
TheLegend
Home Sweet Home!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post
But will it fool anybody? Face it, if he can't get enough financial backing given the current sweetheart deal with COG, how does he get enough financial backing given a more realistic deal with COG? By "realistic", I mean terms that won't trigger a GWI gift-clause lawsuit.
Terms have been out there since CoG approved the AMF. Yet GWI has said nothing about it. Before they would pound their chests, and stomp their feet about it.... this time nada. Meanwhile they're suing the City of Phoenix over an agreement between the city and the police union. That should be a clue.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:40 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Commmoooooooonnn jiggy!
Show us the money sonny!

Old
01-29-2013, 03:58 PM
Mightygoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...-close-on.html

Ready to close (either Wednesday or Thursday), IOW before deadline.
So instead of 2 weeks it's now 2 (different) days.

Less than 60 hours any way you slice it

Old
01-29-2013, 04:03 PM
Bongo

Why do so many long to see this franchise fail? If this worked out for the best in Phoenix, isn't this a good precedent set by the League for saving other troubled teams?

Old
01-29-2013, 04:08 PM
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
Why do so many long to see this franchise fail? If this worked out for the best in Phoenix, isn't this a good precedent set by the League for saving other troubled teams?
I don't think many people want to see it fail out a spite. It's more of a realistic view that after 16 seasons of losing large sums of money and being an overall blackeye on the league that this franchise would better serve the NHL if it relocated to one of the many more viable locations.

After 3 and half years and significant financial contributions from the city of Glendale. No one wants to own this team. That should speak for itself how bad the situation is.

Old
01-29-2013, 04:21 PM
CJV123

The animosity is only in the idea if the team wasn't in Glendale it might be somewhere else- Ontario, Seattle, ...

Old
01-29-2013, 04:26 PM
yotesreign

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterEmpire View Post
I don't think many people want to see it fail out a spite. It's more of a realistic view that after 16 seasons of losing large sums of money and being an overall blackeye on the league that this franchise would better serve the NHL if it relocated to one of the many more viable locations.

After 3 and half years and significant financial contributions from the city of Glendale. No one wants to own this team. That should speak for itself how bad the situation is.
Well it's a bit early to say no one wants to buy this team as if it is a fact. Greg Jamison is still saying he wants to own the team, and I believe that he does. I don't know if he's got everything lined up to actually be able to do it, but I believe he wants to.

Anyway, we'll know soon enough if the deal closes in time for the AMF to become effective or expire. Although the actual number is more than 24, considering how often weeks stretched beyond "4", perhaps I can say we will know more in "hours, not days"? Even if the hours are closer to 57 than 23...

Old
01-29-2013, 04:40 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 50
Quote:
Although we now have a team in Winnipeg we take interest in the original Jets franchise, when the team was ripped out of Winnipeg the NHL told us that in it's present location the team just wasn't profitable, now after 17 years languishing in Phoenix never having turned a dime the team may finally be moved to a profitable location be it QC or Seattle.

Like Atlanta (Thrashers) and Winnipeg before, there were no second, third, fourth or fifth chances like the NHL has afforded the Coyotes.

Last edited by sipowicz: 01-29-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old
01-29-2013, 04:49 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post
But will it fool anybody? Face it, if he can't get enough financial backing given the current sweetheart deal with COG, how does he get enough financial backing given a more realistic deal with COG? By "realistic", I mean terms that won't trigger a GWI gift-clause lawsuit.
It will fool those who want to be fooled. The very same that buy tickets to Coyotes games, that is. Those are the important ones to hang onto the hopes of.

01-29-2013, 04:51 PM
Glacial

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Although we now have a team in Winnipeg we take interest in the original Jets franchise, when the team was ripped out of Winnipeg the NHL told us that in it's present location the team just wasn't profitable, now after 17 years languishing in Phoenix never having turned a dime the team may finally be moved to a profitable location be it QC or Seattle.
How unprofitable were the original Jets and for how long were they unprofitable? It would be nice to see a comparison to the 16 years and still no profits Coyotes.

And I agree. If the Coyotes were profitable even most seasons, there wouldn't be as much anti-Coyotes sentiment. A lot of it is bad blood for the Coyotes being even more guilty of what the Jets were accused of, the reason the Jets were relocated. Also add in the monumental subsidies and Glendale crossing the line in outright covering the team's losses. People don't want that to succeed because they don't want their market's NHL, NBA, MLB, or NFL team to try and repeat the Coyotes formula. And when NHL fans from other markets see buy 1 ticket get 2 tickets free for kids deals, $1 beer, buy a case of beer from a store get free tickets to a playoffs game, etc, it makes them see red because the fans in the Phoenix are are seeing unbelievable deals and except for a few decidated fans, the rest just can't be bothered to show up. And as I noted, the Coyotes aren't a crap team; they may be the highest quality team on ice for the lowest ticket (and beer) price (adjusting for inflation of course) in NHL history.

Old
01-29-2013, 05:39 PM
ssmatik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacial View Post
And as I noted, the Coyotes aren't a crap team; they may be the highest quality team on ice for the lowest ticket (and beer) price (adjusting for inflation of course) in NHL history.
Nailed it! This is why it is so important to me personally. Living across the street from the arena and sitting in the lower bowl on the blue line watching hockey at the highest level and paying for it with money from a two week side job every June can't be beat.
If he fails to come through, I'll be bummed that I'll have to drive to LA/Anaheim a few times a year.
If he comes through this week I'll be ecstatic. Lots of people from out of town will continue to crowd watch and predict the death of the franchise. I won't care since I know I'm good for at least another 5-10 years. I know the price may go up but ultimately it'll still be super affordable compared to most teams. I'll still leave my house 6 minutes before the puck drops and be in my seat on time. Life is good!

Old
01-29-2013, 05:43 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotesreign View Post
Well it's a bit early to say no one wants to buy this team as if it is a fact. Greg Jamison is still saying he wants to own the team, and I believe that he does. I don't know if he's got everything lined up to actually be able to do it, but I believe he wants to.

Anyway, we'll know soon enough if the deal closes in time for the AMF to become effective or expire. Although the actual number is more than 24, considering how often weeks stretched beyond "4", perhaps I can say we will know more in "hours, not days"? Even if the hours are closer to 57 than 23...
I want to own the team too... he should have said nobody with the money wants to own it

Old
01-29-2013, 05:43 PM
knorthern knight

vCash: 595
Quote:
Why do so many long to see this franchise fail?
Huh? It's been 16 years of multi-million-dollar fail already. We want the fail to stop.

Quote:
If this worked out for the best in Phoenix, isn't this a good precedent set by the League for saving other troubled teams?
I do not want to see the NHL established as the ultimate corporate welfare bum. The JIG deal is wrong in so many ways it's not funny.

Old
01-29-2013, 05:53 PM
knorthern knight

vCash: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
Terms have been out there since CoG approved the AMF. Yet GWI has said nothing about it. Before they would pound their chests, and stomp their feet about it.... this time nada. Meanwhile they're suing the City of Phoenix over an agreement between the city and the police union. That should be a clue.
GWI does not have infinite resources. There is no point running up legal fees fighting an agreement that may never take effect. If Jamison does close the deal on time, then we'll see whether or not GWI does anything.

Old
01-29-2013, 06:01 PM
aqib

Quote:
The other teams Bettman went out of his way to save (Oilers, Senators, Pens, and Sabres) were teams that had established fan support its just the business model of the league at the time was so out of whack that intervention was required. The Coyotes don't draw. Some people find it offensive that markets like QC and Hamilton where people eat sleapp drink and breathe hockey can't get a team and Phoenix with there pathetic attendance has the league going out of its was. Further some of the excuses like "well it was a Monday night game against the Predators and the Preds aren't a draw look at what we did against the Hawks on a Saturday" Um guess what you can't just have weekend dates against Original 6 teams.

Old
01-29-2013, 06:08 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
It will fool those who want to be fooled. The very same that buy tickets to Coyotes games, that is. Those are the important ones to hang onto the hopes of.
I buy tickets to Coyotes games because I'd much rather watch the game live than on TV.

Old
01-29-2013, 06:16 PM
Evil Doctor
Damn you Taylor Reed

Quote:
If this worked out for the best in Phoenix, isn't this a good precedent set by the League for saving other troubled teams?
If this bankrupts Glendale, would you still be saying this is a good precedent?

Old
01-29-2013, 06:21 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Doctor View Post
If this bankrupts Glendale, would you still be saying this is a good precedent?
Is the city really that much better off without the team though? No. That's the problem.

Old
01-29-2013, 06:26 PM
OKCDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
Is the city really that much better off without the team though? No. That's the problem.
I'd imagine they'd be worse off without it. A big arena in the NW corner of town without a major tenant and far from the population core of the Valley? White Elephant city there.

Glendale is probably damned if the do, damned if they don't, at this point. Phoenix should just annex the place anyway. That would solve all of this.

Old
01-29-2013, 06:35 PM
Evil Doctor
Damn you Taylor Reed

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
All the number crunching that's been done says otherwise. You can't possibly think that cutting essential services to fund a sports franchise is better...

Old
01-29-2013, 06:35 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCDevil View Post
I'd imagine they'd be worse off without it. A big arena in the NW corner of town without a major tenant and far from the population core of the Valley? White Elephant city there.

Glendale is probably damned if the do, damned if they don't, at this point. Phoenix should just annex the place anyway. That would solve all of this.
That's the key. They are damned if they keep the Coyotes, and damned if they don't. Westgate itself is better off with the Coyotes there, that's for sure. Just ask any of the bars next to the arena.

Old
01-29-2013, 06:36 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Doctor View Post
All the number crunching that's been done says otherwise. You can't possibly think that cutting essential services to fund a sports franchise is better...
Can you link the number crunching? Would they not have to cut any services if the Coyotes left?

Old
01-29-2013, 07:30 PM
Glacial

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmatik View Post
Nailed it! This is why it is so important to me personally. Living across the street from the arena and sitting in the lower bowl on the blue line watching hockey at the highest level and paying for it with money from a two week side job every June can't be beat.
If he fails to come through, I'll be bummed that I'll have to drive to LA/Anaheim a few times a year.
If he comes through this week I'll be ecstatic. Lots of people from out of town will continue to crowd watch and predict the death of the franchise. I won't care since I know I'm good for at least another 5-10 years. I know the price may go up but ultimately it'll still be super affordable compared to most teams. I'll still leave my house 6 minutes before the puck drops and be in my seat on time. Life is good!
In college, I was at a dorm where in 3-5 minutes from leaving my dorm room I could be at my seat in the building which housed the classes for my major. It was great. Great window view too. I'm sure some as kids within short walking distance of their school loved it because it meant they could watch cartoons til the last minute (back when over-the-air stations still played cartoons).

Kind of OT: How long is the drive from the Phoenix area to LA/Anaheim? I've been to AZ twice by car but only went east from AZ.

Old
01-29-2013, 07:32 PM
XX
Avoiding the Cap

Quote:

Kind of OT: How long is the drive from the Phoenix area to LA/Anaheim? I've been to AZ twice by car but only went east from AZ.
5-6 hours depending on pace.

Old
01-29-2013, 07:33 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
In college, I was at a dorm where in 3-5 minutes from leaving my dorm room I could be at my seat in the building which housed the classes for my major. It was great. Great window view too. I'm sure some as kids within short walking distance of their school loved it because it meant they could watch cartoons til the last minute (back when over-the-air stations still played cartoons).

I believe 6 hours+?

Closed Thread