HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

2013 CBJ Training Camp Thread (1/13-1/18)

Old
01-17-2013, 10:57 AM
JacketsFanWest

vCash: 500
It was good for Jenner to get the NHL camp experience, even if it wasn't a full camp. Missing a few OHL games was worth it. He'll be better prepared for September where much more will be expected of him.

A little surprised about Erixon, simply because he seems ahead of Savard and Moore. I could see sending Moore back to get playing experience since he's been out for so long with the concussion.

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:58 AM
Seedtype

I was hoping to see Jenner in action for the five game try-out, but I will agree that he would've been redundant. Here's hoping that he leads his team to a Memorial Cup in the CHL.
Glad to see that Johansen makes it, here's hoping he can have a good season up here. What happened to him last year was frustrating.
As for Erixon, just keep it up in Springfield, help get that team into the playoffs!

Seedtype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:59 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
If he can't go, does JAM get the call?
Sounds to me it is very minor so I would expect him to be ready for the opener.

01-17-2013, 11:05 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

“@smitchcd: Richards indicated Jenner will remain in Oshawa for remainder of season. Expect to see Erixon recalled at some point. #CBJ”

“@smitchcd: Richards: "Boone had showed that he could play here. But...you have to be smart making those decisions." #CBJ”

“@smitchcd: Richards said #CBJ intention "is to get Boone playing...and get him up to his maximum level as soon as possible."”

1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:12 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Heard Erixon got sent down and came to here to see if it was true.

Best of luck to you guys this year, I think you have a really underrated defense in Johnson and Wisz. I still get some joy out of watching Erixon struggle.

Good luck to the rest of your prospects this year though. Cheers.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:16 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Heard Erixon got sent down and came to here to see if it was true.

Best of luck to you guys this year, I think you have a really underrated defense in Johnson and Wisz. I still get some joy out of watching Erixon struggle.

Good luck to the rest of your prospects this year though. Cheers.
Not sure how him getting cut is because he is or was struggling. Everything points to him being the first call up if need. The move is more about numbers then anything and had the Jackets not had so many NHL ready D man he would have made the team.

Old
01-17-2013, 11:16 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Only on the CBJ boards would we call 20 goals "a heck of a lot ".

Before you roll your eyes again, I do understand what you are saying, RJ is as good a goal scorer as we have going into the season, based on recent history. I'm just pointing out that I wouldn't count on him leading this team in goals, and thats a good thing I hope.
I'm personally counting on that as a base expected standard. If he's overtaken by someone outperforming him (as opposed to, say, him having a down year), naturally I will be thrilled.
Also, his standard is usually closer to 22-25.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
I'm not sure why anyone should be embarassed to wear the sweater of the team's one and only legitimate star, former captain, and holder of every offensive record in the CBJ book. This is not a Foote situation, where he abandoned ship in the middle of the season and would accept only one landing spot, Nash gave us nine good years of his life and felt that he wanted to move on. That a right that was fought for and won by players decades ago. I suppose some may be mad, but I can't be. Besides, I like the return he brought from the Rags.
Well put and I quite concur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
The same could be said of Johansen last year with Portland.

If we could only hear the conversations between JD and SH on this matter.
That could help immensely if we could. I suspect there's a few too many folks here assuming that they'd consist of JD discussing possible player moves followed by SH responding "I tied my shoes all by myself today!" or something equally inane.

Alas for the need for information security.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:17 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
Not sure how him getting cut is because he is or was struggling. Everything points to him being the first call up if need. The move is more about numbers then anything and had the Jackets not had so many NHL ready D man he would have made the team.
That and I suspect (but am not certain) that Erixon's still not playing the body like the front office would like him to do. "Yes, Tim, we get it. You pass and you shoot and you move the puck. You're awesome at that. We love that you're awesome at that. But we think you could also be awesome at this other thing here, so we really need you to start trying to do that..."

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:19 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
I know, but his main complaint when he left the Flames is that he wouldn't get an NHL spot, when we in reality had one waiting for him out of training camp. So to watch him bounce back and forth the last two years has been extremely entertaining for us Flames fans.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:28 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
I know, but his main complaint when he left the Flames is that he wouldn't get an NHL spot, when we in reality had one waiting for him out of training camp. So to watch him bounce back and forth the last two years has been extremely entertaining for us Flames fans.
Nm.....

Last edited by 1857 Howitzer: 01-17-2013 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Forget it
Old
01-17-2013, 01:38 PM
EspenK

Not too surprised at Jenner being sent back; He'll play more, score more and hopefully develop more in juniors.

Guess we'll see if Savard is really ready. Same for Joey. Or at least how far they still have to go.

Calvert sticks. Good for him. Hope he plays more like his rookie year.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:41 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Enjoy the last year of it.

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:42 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

how is Prospal looking? I know he is on the 3rd line but do you expect him to produce well in that role?

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:58 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantbeatzPekka View Post
how is Prospal looking? I know he is on the 3rd line but do you expect him to produce well in that role?
From what I saw in camp he has looked very good.

Old
01-17-2013, 02:03 PM
Byrral

Good stuff. Happy for Joey and Calvert and sorry for Erixon and Jenner. But this is our team so I will embrace it. How many of our guys can play center. Lot's of flexibility at Richards disposal. Just not elite talent. Up to him to find the right combos. Time to see if our heart got any healthier after the operation. Almost time to drop the puck.

Byrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:09 PM
slightlystewpid420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrral View Post
Good stuff. Happy for Joey and Calvert and sorry for Erixon and Jenner. But this is our team so I will embrace it. How many of our guys can play center. Lot's of flexibility at Richards disposal. Just not elite talent. Up to him to find the right combos. Time to see if our heart got any healthier after the operation. Almost time to drop the puck.
It hurts for me to say this, but I think our "heart" will still be needing a jump start in the draft next year. If Jenner and Murray have the ability to make the team next year, mixed with one of Mackinnon, Jones, Barkov we could be looking really good. We could possibly get Drouin and let him develop, but I think that's going to depend on how Johansen and Brassard do this season.

slightlystewpid420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:14 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
It was good for Jenner to get the NHL camp experience, even if it wasn't a full camp. Missing a few OHL games was worth it. He'll be better prepared for September where much more will be expected of him.

A little surprised about Erixon, simply because he seems ahead of Savard and Moore. I could see sending Moore back to get playing experience since he's been out for so long with the concussion.
I have no idea why you would think Erixon's ahead of Moore. Explain?

Savard was likely the other choice - they went with some size over agility near as I can tell. They're probably equally deficient at actual defense and good with the puck, but Savard at least has some size. (not that I think he used it much last season)

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:47 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

The way I see the Savard over Erixon thing is simply this. They much rather have Savard sit the bench than Erixon. Majority of people would tell you Erixon > Savard and thats the honest truth imo. Let Savard be the 7th dman while Tim actually works on some things like defense. Hopefully Erixon takes it the right way, he'll be a stud once he cleans that part of his game up.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:48 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
The way I see the Savard over Erixon thing is simply this. They much rather have Savard sit the bench than Erixon. Majority of people would tell you Erixon > Savard and thats the honest truth imo. Let Savard be the 7th dman while Tim actually works on some things like defense. Hopefully Erixon takes it the right way, he'll be a stud once he cleans that part of his game up.
I would agree. I think they knew that Tim and David would be the extra guys, and that they'd rather have Tim getting minutes. I also heard a while ago that Savard is unhappy in the AHL, I couldn't link it but it was last season. Keeping him here may improve his own morale while allowing Erixon to play.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:54 PM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
I have no idea why you would think Erixon's ahead of Moore. Explain?
Erixon was incredibly solid playing for Skellefteć as a teenager, including playing in the SEL championship and he's showing more offensive skill than Moore. While Moore may be improving this year in Springy, he was shaky at times last season.

Moore hasn't played a game since December 15. It doesn't matter what Moore did last season or earlier in the season. He might look okay in practice, but why not give him a few games in the AHL to get back into action rather than dropping him into the deep end in the NHL?

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 04:09 PM
slightlystewpid420

Quote:
Erixon was incredibly solid playing for Skellefteć as a teenager, including playing in the SEL championship and he's showing more offensive skill than Moore. While Moore may be improving this year in Springy, he was shaky at times last season.

Moore hasn't played a game since December 15. It doesn't matter what Moore did last season or earlier in the season. He might look okay in practice, but why not give him a few games in the AHL to get back into action rather than dropping him into the deep end in the NHL?
Pressure builds diamonds. If he's doing poorly, let Savard play. It's not like he(Erixon) can't be called up, because at some point he probably will. It would be idiotic not to play them all. They must see something otherwise he'd be there.

Old
01-17-2013, 04:12 PM
JrussJacket

Quote:

Moore played in 67 NHL games last year. So he has a leg up on Erixon in that aspect. Couple that with the fact that he had a very good camp, prob gives him the edge.

Also, reading from alot of different Falcons fans and bloggers, before Moore went down with his injury, he was by far their best Dman.

JrussJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 04:34 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

If there is one thing you can count on in an NHL season (much less a compressed one like this year), it's injuries to defensemen. We'll see Erixon soon enough.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 04:47 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

“@TheFalconsAHL: Congratulations to Jonathan Audy-Marchessault, Tim Erixon, and Curtis McElhinney, Springfield's All-Star selections http://t.co/uFafsVE7”

Old
01-17-2013, 04:53 PM
slightlystewpid420

Quote:
“@TheFalconsAHL: Congratulations to Jonathan Audy-Marchessault, Tim Erixon, and Curtis McElhinney, Springfield's All-Star selections http://t.co/uFafsVE7”
Nice!