HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Regular Season Lineups

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-18-2013, 12:40 PM
  #276
tmurfin
500g1000pts
 
tmurfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,498
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynnek View Post
Wasn't Winchester released from his tryout?
Yes and according to Roger Millions, it looks like Irving will be the backup this year

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:42 PM
  #277
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man
 
TherapyforGlencross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
Yes and according to Roger Millions, it looks like Irving will be the backup this year
So, does that mean Karlsson will be the 3rd wheel in the aHL?

TherapyforGlencross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:45 PM
  #278
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
#unsustainable
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 7,313
vCash: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
So, does that mean Karlsson will be the 3rd wheel in the aHL?
Or back to Europe.

Stewie Griffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:57 PM
  #279
Backlund
Registered User
 
Backlund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,802
vCash: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynnek View Post
Wasn't Winchester released from his tryout?
Yes he was. Switch Winchester with Begin imo

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:58 PM
  #280
terreur
Registered User
 
terreur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IggyTheKid View Post
I'm a really big fan of our roster going into the season, though I'm going to put opening day roster and 2nd week of the season roster.

Opening Day

GlenX - Tanguay - Iginla
Baertschi - Backlund - Cammo
Horak - Stajan - Stemps
Comeau - Jones - Winchester

Bouw - Gio
Wide - Butler
Brodie - Sarich

Kipper
Irving

2nd Week

GlenX - Tanguay - Iginla
Baertschi - Backlund - Cammo
Hudler - Czervenka - Stemps
Comeau - Stajan - Jones/Horak

Bouw - Gio
Wide - Butler
Brodie - Sarich

Kipper
Irving


Good afternoon to all Flame fans! Habs fan coming in peace to validate a few informations for my fantasy draft tonight. I always like having a couple players from canadian teams since I often watch the second game of the double header on saturday nights. I was targeting a few Flames players and I would like to have your take on a few things to make the right choices.

In other words, my pool only counts points (G=1 and A =1) how would you rank those players for your team?

Baertschi - Backlund-Hudler - Czervenka

Also, what are your top pairing for the PP?

I assume Wideman and ???


ANyway, thank you guys in advance for your info!

I wish you guys a good season and hope you guys make it to the playoff!

terreur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:06 PM
  #281
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,928
vCash: 57
If I had to make a list I think I would put them
Hudler
Baertschi
Backlund
Cervenka(huge wild card don't know when he will play or how well)

As for pp I would think the first power play is
Glencross/Hudler - Hudler/Glencross - Iginla
Tanguay - Wideman

Baertschi - Backlund - Cammy
Jbo - Gio

When Cervenka comes back I have no ****ing idea.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:08 PM
  #282
SmellOfVictory
Registered User
 
SmellOfVictory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,169
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by terreur View Post
Good afternoon to all Flame fans! Habs fan coming in peace to validate a few informations for my fantasy draft tonight. I always like having a couple players from canadian teams since I often watch the second game of the double header on saturday nights. I was targeting a few Flames players and I would like to have your take on a few things to make the right choices.

In other words, my pool only counts points (G=1 and A =1) how would you rank those players for your team?

Baertschi - Backlund-Hudler - Czervenka

Also, what are your top pairing for the PP?

I assume Wideman and ???


ANyway, thank you guys in advance for your info!

I wish you guys a good season and hope you guys make it to the playoff!
The ones you listed? Tough call. I think they're all in a similar range, to be honest; they'll probably be around 25-30 points each this season. None of them is a particularly safe pick given past production, because Hudler was babied in Detroit and given amazing linemates, Cervenka hasn't played in the NHL, Baertschi is a rookie, and Backlund had difficulty converting chances into goals last season.

I guess I'd rank them:
Backlund
Baertschi
Hudler
Cervenka

Depends heavily on how they're used during the season. If Baertschi and Backlund are paired on a secondary scoring line, then I'd definitely put my money on one of those two as the best bet.

The top PP pairing will be Wideman and Tanguay, most likely. Only other likely option I can see is Wideman-Giordano.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:09 PM
  #283
The Hendog
Registered User
 
The Hendog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
If I had to make a list I think I would put them
Hudler
Baertschi
Backlund
Cervenka(huge wild card don't know when he will play or how well)

As for pp I would think the first power play is
Glencross/Hudler - Hudler/Glencross - Iginla
Tanguay - Wideman

Baertschi - Backlund - Cammy
Jbo - Gio

When Cervenka comes back I have no ****ing idea.
I like the makeup of those PP units
Well done
First unit has 3 shooters and 2 play makers so hopefully it clicks
And then the second has lots of talent as well - unlike the past where are 2nd PP unit was sad... so sad
Hopefully this will result in more PP goals!!!
If Baertshci has some success - I would also love to seem him move into the top PP and Glencross move back

The Hendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:10 PM
  #284
Erathian
Registered User
 
Erathian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Czech republic
Posts: 370
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Feaster said that they expect him to leave by sunday and also said they would give him the time he needs.
Sounds about right, he said he still has something to do in the Czech republic so he certainly won't leave on Saturday.

Erathian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:17 PM
  #285
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,928
vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hendog View Post
I like the makeup of those PP units
Well done
First unit has 3 shooters and 2 play makers so hopefully it clicks
And then the second has lots of talent as well - unlike the past where are 2nd PP unit was sad... so sad
Hopefully this will result in more PP goals!!!
If Baertshci has some success - I would also love to seem him move into the top PP and Glencross move back
I think the main reason you won't see Glencross move off the first pp unit is he is the only player that can screen the goalie other than Iggy but we need his shot. Glencross isn't there for his amazing shot it is because he can screen and tip goals and is strong enough to get the garbage goals when their is a rebound, Baertschi isn't that kind of guy.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:23 PM
  #286
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker
 
superhakan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,627
vCash: 500
All 4 of the players will be very close in production. Hudler is the safest bet. The other 3 have higher upside.

PP:

Glencross - Cammalleri - Iginla

Wideman - Tanguay


Baertschi - Backlund/Cervenka - Hudler

Giordano - Bouwmeester

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:24 PM
  #287
Trae
Registered User
 
Trae's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleb2006 View Post
Isles fan hopping in asking a fantasy question sorry...
What are the odds cammy will play center on any line?
He's playing wing to start the season. He hasn't played center at all during training camp and unless our centers fall apart (a possibility) he's likely staying wing. I think Cervenka, Backlund, and even Tanguay stay down the middle for the majority of the season.

Trae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:11 PM
  #288
Sean Monahan
#boring
 
Sean Monahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cowtown
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,890
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I think the main reason you won't see Glencross move off the first pp unit is he is the only player that can screen the goalie other than Iggy but we need his shot. Glencross isn't there for his amazing shot it is because he can screen and tip goals and is strong enough to get the garbage goals when their is a rebound, Baertschi isn't that kind of guy.
http://video.flames.nhl.com/videocen...4&event=CGY235

sven's shot is amazing in close since he can roof it with the best of them

Sean Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:16 PM
  #289
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,928
vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarome Iginla View Post
http://video.flames.nhl.com/videocen...4&event=CGY235

sven's shot is amazing in close since he can roof it with the best of them
Yes but I am saying Glencross is there because of his size and screening ability something that Sven doesn't have he will have plenty of chances on the 2nd pp tho.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:16 PM
  #290
Unkki
Registered User
 
Unkki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 351
vCash: 500
I think that Cervenka is at his best in PP, so he will definitely be in PP. Better vision than Backlund IMO and also better wrist shot. My units are:

1. Glencross
Iginla - Hudler - Giordano
Tanguay

and

2.

Bärtschi - Cammalleri - Cervenka
Wideman - Bouwmeester

You can also switch Iginla's and Wideman's spots. Both PP:s need at least one player who shoots right and these players are Iggy an Wideman.

Unkki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:17 PM
  #291
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,928
vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkki View Post
I think that Cervenka is at his best in PP, so he will definitely be in PP. Better vision than Backlund IMO and also better wrist shot. My units are:

1. Glencross
Iginla - Hudler - Giordano
Tanguay

and

2.

Bärtschi - Cammalleri - Cervenka
Wideman - Bouwmeester

You can also switch Iginla's and Wideman's spots. Both PP:s need at least one player who shoots right and these players are Iggy an Wideman.
I would switch Gio with Wideman as Wideman is a much better pp quaterback and has a great shot.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:22 PM
  #292
Unkki
Registered User
 
Unkki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I would switch Gio with Wideman as Wideman is a much better pp quaterback and has a great shot.
It's possible but then the other PP will be full of players who shoot left.

We have great tools to get PP working, but it's just difficult to make decisions.

Unkki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:54 PM
  #293
terreur
Registered User
 
terreur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,739
vCash: 500
THank you very much for the info guys!

You pretty much confirmed what I thought. They are 4 players with similar projection and it will pretty much depend on how Hartley will use them!

Anyway, We are 15 and we choose 15 forwards each so it's pretty sure they will end up being pick.

I think that Hudler, will be taken a bit before he should of because of his stats in Detroit ( we have 2 guys that aren't very good and pretty much only follow projections).

I was very high on Cervenka during the summer, but I'm a bit concern with his health issues, I don't wanna risk losing a player or anything.

So I'll probably tartget Baertschi and Backlund, since they could end up putting up a lot of points if everything go well!

Anyway, thanks again and Good luck for the season!
I hope Cammalleri will have a good season for you guys, it's too bad we gave up on him after two very good years!

terreur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:16 PM
  #294
Sean Monahan
#boring
 
Sean Monahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cowtown
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,890
vCash: 50
Good for Begin to get his contract

Sean Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:27 AM
  #295
pdd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
The ones you listed? Tough call. I think they're all in a similar range, to be honest; they'll probably be around 25-30 points each this season. None of them is a particularly safe pick given past production, because Hudler was babied in Detroit and given amazing linemates
Yes, like when he scored 42 points in 81 games playing a total of 13:10 per game on a line with Kris Draper and Kirk Maltby.

Hudler has been a 25-30 point player once in his career; his rookie season, when he averaged 10:02 per game (8:30 ES, 1:30 PP)and scored 12-8-20 ES points and 3-2-5 PP. Last season he averaged 13:24 at ES and 2:14 at PP (most of it spent on the point on the second unit) and posted 23-17-40 ES and 2-8-10 PP.

As for "great linemates", yes Hudler played on a line with Zetterberg and Filppula last year. But in 2008-09, he played with Filppula and Mikael Samuelsson. The results then? Hudler scored 23-34-57 while Filppula scored 12-28-40 and Samuelsson scored 19-21-40. Apparently switching out Samuelsson for Zetterberg increases Hudler's goal output by two, but decreases his total points by seven?

Of course the following all also might be important: a) three-year difference between seasons that saw Filppula develop quite well individually, b) Hudler switched wings from the left to the right, c) in addition to his position on the line being different, Hudler's role was different. Instead of carrying the offense as he had done in 08-09, he was the "grit" guy who went down in the corners, mucked in front of the net, and dug out rebounds. It's very interesting to watch someone who's about 3 feet tall play that role and actually be effective...

As for the PP, Hudler is most effective when he's running the show from the low boards, preferably on the right side. He can handle other roles but that's where he'll be best utilized. He's capable of using the same fifteen stretch of ice to push defenders away simply by implying that he's going to pass or shoot, and can hold on to the puck for quite a while if necessary.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:43 AM
  #296
Flames92
Registered User
 
Flames92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,190
vCash: 500
Wideman's our best PP Dman so theres no way hes not on the first unit. If Glencross is in fact on the first PP unit it will probably be along the lines of

Iginla - Glencross(Front of the net) - Cammalleri
Wideman - Tanguay

2nd PP if I had to guess

Baerstchi-Cervenka-Hudler
Giordano-Bouwmeeter

Flames92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:52 AM
  #297
JB51Hockey
51Hockey
 
JB51Hockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 823
vCash: 500
We are going to be awful this year, we are way too old to play a condensed schedule

JB51Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:28 PM
  #298
SmellOfVictory
Registered User
 
SmellOfVictory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,169
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Yes, like when he scored 42 points in 81 games playing a total of 13:10 per game on a line with Kris Draper and Kirk Maltby.

Hudler has been a 25-30 point player once in his career; his rookie season, when he averaged 10:02 per game (8:30 ES, 1:30 PP)and scored 12-8-20 ES points and 3-2-5 PP. Last season he averaged 13:24 at ES and 2:14 at PP (most of it spent on the point on the second unit) and posted 23-17-40 ES and 2-8-10 PP.

As for "great linemates", yes Hudler played on a line with Zetterberg and Filppula last year. But in 2008-09, he played with Filppula and Mikael Samuelsson. The results then? Hudler scored 23-34-57 while Filppula scored 12-28-40 and Samuelsson scored 19-21-40. Apparently switching out Samuelsson for Zetterberg increases Hudler's goal output by two, but decreases his total points by seven?

Of course the following all also might be important: a) three-year difference between seasons that saw Filppula develop quite well individually, b) Hudler switched wings from the left to the right, c) in addition to his position on the line being different, Hudler's role was different. Instead of carrying the offense as he had done in 08-09, he was the "grit" guy who went down in the corners, mucked in front of the net, and dug out rebounds. It's very interesting to watch someone who's about 3 feet tall play that role and actually be effective...

As for the PP, Hudler is most effective when he's running the show from the low boards, preferably on the right side. He can handle other roles but that's where he'll be best utilized. He's capable of using the same fifteen stretch of ice to push defenders away simply by implying that he's going to pass or shoot, and can hold on to the puck for quite a while if necessary.
First of all, please note that I said "25-30 points this season", and this season is 48 games, not 82. Second, Hudler has always had either soft minutes (for a top 6 forward) in terms of who he was matched against, or as of last season, an elite linemate.

He's coming from a team where he could always rely on Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Franzen to do the heavy lifting, while he (and other supporting players on the Wings' team) either got easier circumstances or simply a very high-end linemate. I'm not saying he's bad, but I am saying that Calgary doesn't have that kind of core anymore, and I would generally bet money that any player coming to Calgary (or many other mid-grade teams) from Detroit is going to see a drop in production.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:23 PM
  #299
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club
 
I Hate Chris Butler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,958
vCash: 300
There's a lot of praise for Backlund during training camp. I'm cautiously optimistic about the progress he made in Sweden.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:38 PM
  #300
pdd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
First of all, please note that I said "25-30 points this season", and this season is 48 games, not 82. Second, Hudler has always had either soft minutes (for a top 6 forward) in terms of who he was matched against, or as of last season, an elite linemate.
I keep on doing that. It's because some people will pot actual numbers, while others post "on pace" numbers. Hudler IMO should be good for 35-40 points if used correctly this season.

Quote:
He's coming from a team where he could always rely on Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Franzen to do the heavy lifting, while he (and other supporting players on the Wings' team) either got easier circumstances or simply a very high-end linemate.
Hudler played with Datsyuk for exactly one stretch of 11 games. Hudler scored 14 points, Datsyuk scored 12, and Cleary (who was on the other wing) scored 12. Not convinced that Hudler was "riding" Datsyuk there.

As for last season with Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and even Franzen and Filppula, all played significantly more ES than Hudler, and approximately 250%-300% of what Hudler played on the PP at forward.

Quote:
I'm not saying he's bad, but I am saying that Calgary doesn't have that kind of core anymore, and I would generally bet money that any player coming to Calgary (or many other mid-grade teams) from Detroit is going to see a drop in production.
Hudler is IMO a legitimate first-line player. You might look at his raw stats from last year and think "meh, 50 points." But I'll point something out to you.
2001-02 Fla/CBJ 46GP 10-24-34
2002-03 Columbus 81GP, 24-52-76
2003-04 Detroit 67GP, 14-29-43
2005-06 Carolina 63GP, 17-38-55
2006-07 Carolina 81GP, 32-51-83
2007-08 Carolina 66GP, 25-36-61
2008-09 Carolina 82GP, 24-53-77
2009-10 Carolina 80GP, 21-37-58
2010-11 Phoenix 75GP, 17-40-57
2011-12 Phoenix 82GP, 24-53-77

That's part of Ray Whitney's stat sheet. Look at his Detroit year. Notice how out of place it is in terms of PPG? Now think about all of the players on that team. Yzerman, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lang, Shanahan, Hull. He should have been able to score some serious points given his skills, right? But wait... he was way down on the third line. He was sitting on the bench. Can't score points if you're ON THE BENCH.

So that's what to think about with Hudler. You can look for increased production. Possibly even to the PPG range. During his draft year one of the things said about him was that he would have been a top-five pick if he were average-sized.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.