Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Regular Season Lineups

Old
01-13-2013, 04:09 PM
Flames92

vCash: 500
Apparently Iginla not skating today due to a tight groin. I hope this doesn't become a problem.. We all saw how slow he started last time he missed training camp.

Flames92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:21 PM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Other Flame View Post
Modify the original statement then to say 'consistent Stanley Cup contender.'

Cinderella teams are an extremely poor basis for to plan for success.
The team won the division the following season, by all accounts they were actually a better team in 05/06. A Cinderella is not one that is considered a contender at the end of the following regular season.

Adirondack Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:40 PM
flameaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Judging by the first day of camp the lines that we will try first are

Glencross - Tanguay - Iginla(called it )
Sven - Backlund - Cammy
Hudler - Stajan - Stempniak
Comeau/Horak - Jones - Jackman

Gio - Jbo
Butler - Wideman
Smith/Brodie - Sarich

I would assume when/if Cervenka is healthy Stajan/Stemps is in the press box.
Looks like your dream of seeing Matt mother****ing Stajan as our #1 C are dashed already.

flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:03 PM
Some Other Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
The team won the division the following season, by all accounts they were actually a better team in 05/06. A Cinderella is not one that is considered a contender at the end of the following regular season.
Well, the next season was actually two years after. That's hardly 'overnight.' And while the 05/06 team was better than the 04 one, but that still doesn't make them a contender, despite what the hype said.

The Flames were never actual contenders as they never had the offensive depth, strength down the middle, or coaching to win. Actual Stanley Cup contenders have to be able to win playoff rounds in more than one season.

Some Other Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:12 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameaholic View Post
Looks like your dream of seeing Matt mother****ing Stajan as our #1 C are dashed already.
And yours of giving him away .

I don't care what you say the stats say he is a top 6 center when played in a top 6 role.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:31 PM
MarkGio

Ok seriously, look at the Flames roster during the cup run and tell me how many of those players went on to have elite seasons. Regardless if they won the division the next season, its was a Cinderella team. Last year Phoenix was a contender in the standings, but nobody believed thet were going to beat Detroit with how little talent they had.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:58 PM
flameaholic

Quote:
And yours of giving him away .

I don't care what you say the stats say he is a top 6 center when played in a top 6 role.
I don't have a problem with Matt Stajan in a bottom-six role, I have a problem with Matt Stajan in a top-6 role. He's not a top-6 forward. Apparently Bob Hartley agrees.

And we can still give him away. Ever heard of waivers?

Old
01-14-2013, 07:02 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Ok seriously, look at the Flames roster during the cup run and tell me how many of those players went on to have elite seasons..
Pretty crazy when you think about it.

Turek - Never returned to the NHL
Commodore - Won the cup with the Canes, pretty much a career bottom pairing guy. Been with 6 NHL teams since 2008.
Gauthier - Short stint in Phoenix in 2006, regressed within 2 seasons.
Leopold - Guy has gone from a top pairing offensive guy, to what Buffalo fans feel is a bottom pairing dman.
Montador - Bottom pairing dman, decent playoff run with the Bruins in 2009.
Kobasew - Developed into a 2nd/3rd line scorer, struggled in his 4th season with Boston, and regressed to a 4th liner.
Yelle - Remained a solid #3/4 center.
Simon - Had one more successful season with the Flames, then after a handful of suspensions, left for the KHL. Never came back.
Donovan - After a career season in 2004, took a huge step back. Decent 3rd liner, never hit more than 20 points, and never recorded 10+ goals again.
Clark - Had brief success with the Capitals, recording 20 and 30 goals back to back. I believe injuries completely destroyed his career.
Lombardi - Easily one of the more successful of the bunch, but never really reached expectations. Remained a #2/3 center for a few years, brief success with Phoenix, then the injuries took their tole.
Saprykin - He had another chance at the cup with the Sens, then off the the KHL.
Loyns - Only played a single game in the NHL after the 2004 season.
Ference - Had a few solid seasons with Calgary, then became a fan favorite in Boston, winning the cup. Definitely a solid career.
Conroy - Left for LA, first season went well, 2nd season was a disaster. Dealt back to Calgary, retired a Flame.
Gelinas - Back to back 40 point seasons with Florida, and a decent season with Nashville as a 3rd liner.
Nieminen - Had a single decent year, then left for Europe.
Nilson - 3 more seasons with the Flames as a bottom 6 winger.
Regehr - Pretty successful career. Remained a solid top 4 defenseman, and still is.
Lydman - yet another Flames defenseman who wound up with Buffalo. Bottom 4 pairing dman.
Oliwa - Played 3 NHL games, then retired.
McAmmond - Decent numbers with St.Louis, cup run with Ottawa, then Downie decided that McAmmond had enough.
Warrener - Few more seasons with Calgary, nothing special in terms of play.
Lowry - Retired
Reinprecht - Did quite well with Phoenix, fell apart in Florida.

Regehr and Leopold, IMO, was really the only guy to really continue with his career consistently. Everyone else ran into injury problems, or just declined drastically.

Clark actually had career years, but he also saw ice time with Ovechkin.

Left out Iggy and Kipper for obvious reasons.

Skobel24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:03 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:

If Stajan's our #1 C be prepared to pick 1st overall in this June's entry draft. What I'd do to get that mofo off my team.
Quote:
I don't have a problem with Matt Stajan in a bottom-six role, I have a problem with Matt Stajan in a top-6 role. He's not a top-6 forward. Apparently Bob Hartley agrees.

And we can still give him away. Ever heard of waivers?

When given the chance Stajan had 34 points in 55 games in the top 6 for the flames that is a top 6 player regardless of what you say.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:16 PM
The Gnome

Quote:

When given the chance Stajan had 34 points in 55 games in the top 6 for the flames that is a top 6 player regardless of what you say.
IMO Stajan is more useful In a top 6 role than in a bottom 6 role.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:22 PM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

vCash: 1456
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
IMO Stajan is more useful In a top 6 role than in a bottom 6 role.
Yeah, but then there's 2-3 guys who are more useful in a top-6 centre role than Stajan is, so where does that leave him?

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:42 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixons Dad View Post
Yeah, but then there's 2-3 guys who are more useful in a top-6 centre role than Stajan is, so where does that leave him?
Like who? Backlund? stats say no, Cervenka? we have no idea. Cammy? He did as well as Stajan did as the top center but was worse and faceoffs. Tanguay? Hasn't played center since he joined the nhl. Simply put no one is better at this point thats not to say that someonr couldn't be better.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:58 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Yeah, all that proven talent we have in backlund or cervenka. Or two wingers in tangs or cammy. I'm not saying Stajan is a guy I would want anywhere near my teams top 6. But the reality of the situation is much different than what I want.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:02 AM
MarkGio

We really should've kept Jokinen over guys like Sarich and Stempniak.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:10 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
We really should've kept Jokinen over guys like Sarich and Stempniak.
Personally I am glad we moved on he really didn't seem to fit in with this team and with the stories of how little the guys got along off the ice I think removing a strange personality can only help. I don't think he would have fit well in a Hartley system, I think we would see more floating from him.

Old
01-15-2013, 12:11 AM
TheHudlinator

With Hickey on waivers I really hope we pick him up he has been probably the most consistent defenseman on his AHL team and wouldn't be a bad #7.

Old
01-15-2013, 12:20 AM
ALI

Quote:
With Hickey on waivers I really hope we pick him up he has been probably the most consistent defenseman on his AHL team and wouldn't be a bad #7.
i think we should claim him still young still can have a comeback and with brodie in the nhl Heats D need a solid go to guy D

ALI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:22 AM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 100
Quote:
Apparently there has been a lot of interest on him.. So hopefully somehow we end up being the team that claims him, I doubt it though.

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:22 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALI View Post
i think we should claim him still young still can have a comeback and with brodie in the nhl Heats D need a solid go to guy D
He can't go to the ahl with out passing through waivers again he would most likely take the #7 spot forcing Babchuck and Smith out.

Old
01-15-2013, 12:24 AM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

vCash: 1456
Quote:
Like who? Backlund? stats say no, Cervenka? we have no idea. Cammy? He did as well as Stajan did as the top center but was worse and faceoffs. Tanguay? Hasn't played center since he joined the nhl. Simply put no one is better at this point thats not to say that someonr couldn't be better.
You can't honestly tell me Tanguay in between Iggy and Glencross, and Backlund in between Sven and Cammy isn't a reasonable and intriguing option to start the season. I'm not a Stajan hater. I know he could do a serviceable job in the top-6. But we need more than serviceable this year.

Any team that has Stajan in their top-6 is not a playoff quality team. He's just not at that level. What the coaches are trying deserves a shot. Backlund is riding high from Europe and Tanguay has the skillset and the confidence of the new coach. Stajan has had his chances in the top-6 with this team over the years, it's time to try something new, at least to start the year.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:26 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
You can't honestly tell me Tanguay in between Iggy and Glencross, and Backlund in between Sven and Cammy isn't a reasonable and intriguing option to start the season. I'm not a Stajan hater. I know he could do a serviceable job in the top-6. But we need more than serviceable this year.

Any team that has Stajan in their top-6 is not a playoff quality team. He's just not at that level. What the coaches are trying deserves a shot. Stajan has had his chances in the top-6 with this team over the years, it's time to try something new.
Tanguay is below 35% for his entire career in the nhl at faceoffs I think this is a terrible idea we won't have the puck for 60% of the game it is pretty hard to be an offensive team when your playing defense, I have already said I think Stajan or Cervenka replace Tanguay within a month he is a center anymore. Not to mention Stajan out produced both Iginla and Tanguay the last time he was on the top line he was on pace for a 60+ season until he got rocked by Staal.

Old
01-15-2013, 12:38 AM
flameaholic

Quote:

Any team that has Stajan in their top-6 is not a playoff quality team. He's just not at that level. What the coaches are trying deserves a shot. Backlund is riding high from Europe and Tanguay has the skillset and the confidence of the new coach. Stajan has had his chances in the top-6 with this team over the years, it's time to try something new, at least to start the year.
This guy just doesn't get it, let it be. Even with all the problems we have at center, Hartley still doesn't have Stajan in the top-6. What does that say? Matt Stajan is simply not a top-6 forward. I know it, you know it, Feaster knows it, Bob Hartley knows it. That's all that matters.

Old
01-15-2013, 01:05 AM
Backlund

vCash: 1263
Quote:
He was a friend of my brother's when he lived in Calgary. I remember how shocked my brother was when he went 4th. I hope we can pick him up.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:22 AM
DevilsAnimal*

I dont care who starts, as long as Sven, Horak, and Brodie are playing for the Heat :B

please? :V

stop getting good, guys, stay with abbotsford forever

DevilsAnimal* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:30 AM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

My guess for opening night.

Injured Reserve: Cervenka, Babchuk
Personal Leave: Hudler
Healthy Scratches: Winchester, Smith, Karlsson