HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

God forbid Canada should think they're the best

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 03:39 PM
canuck2010

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
But but it's OUR game!
It is our game Bobbie. You just don't understand the play on words. Everybody else can play it and play it well but it's the game that defines Canadians, the game that we play with passion, the game that is part of our historical roots.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:39 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofSlashFoig View Post
A lot of confirmation bias among Canadians here lately. Guys, we're not the powerhouse we were 5-10 years ago, and the gap between us and other countries has closed considerably. Accept it and get over it. Just because people don't agree with you doesn't mean they're wrong.
Exactly. Same thing with USA bball. When the 1st (and really only) Dream Team was assembled a bunch of people were upset and thought it was poor sportsmanship to send our best and beat the crap out of everyone else.

But you know what? The teams that got the crap beat out of them wanted to play the best because it's the only way you can ever improve. Today we see the results. The US is still the best bball nation, just like Canada is the best in hockey. But both can, and will, lose in competitions to a number of other countries now.

So Godbless the OP for his patting himself on the back and for his pride in his country. Canada is the best. But the gap gets smaller and smaller and smaller every year.

Deal with it

Old
01-06-2013, 03:42 PM
canuck2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Gibson was better than any Canadian goalie at the u17 championships and better than any Canadian goalie at the u18 championships before he ever played a single CHL game.

How is he CHL developed when he was already better than anyone in your system?
I don't think the point is that the NCAA etc. can't produce good hockey players. I think the point is more that the CHL has been traditionally looked at as a better way to prepare Canadians and Americans for the NHL.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:43 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

I'll never understand why Canadian posters bother defending Team Canada or praising our country on these boards. Its a hockey forum filled with international users from countries that for the longest time have bee "the little guys". Any chance they get to gang up together against Canadians and they will take it.

Don't bother with these people.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:46 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post
I'll never understand why Canadian posters bother defending Team Canada or praising our country on these boards. Its a hockey forum filled with international users from countries that for the longest time have bee "the little guys". Any chance they get to gang up together against Canadians and they will take it.

P.O.T.Y.

oh wait, were you serious?

Old
01-06-2013, 03:47 PM
Shadowthrone
The Big Fix

Quote:

So having a proper discussion and presenting you the cold and hard facts is "ganging up" now by "these people"? Alrighty...

Old
01-06-2013, 03:48 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
P.O.T.Y.

oh wait, were you serious?
Look at the business with taunting by the Russian team. Its Canadians vs. Americans, Swedes, Russians etc. Its not unusual for these boards. That's generally how it always go. Not sure why that's so difficult for you to admit.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:50 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowthrone View Post
So having a proper discussion and presenting you the cold and hard facts is "ganging up" now by "these people"? Alrighty...
A proper discussion requires the possibility of objectivity from both parties. That's impossible to achieve in the vast majority of cases. Americans, Russians, Canadians etc. are all patriotic and will all side with their own nation the bulk of the time.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:51 PM
Saving Greiss
Trade Malkin???

It's funny how TSN builds Team Canada up as world-beaters before the tournament, but immediately switches to the underdog role when they start losing.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:52 PM
BobDobolina

Quote:
A proper discussion requires the possibility of objectivity from both parties. That's impossible to achieve in the vast majority of cases. Americans, Russians, Canadians etc. are all patriotic and will all side with their own nation the bulk of the time.
So what you are saying is we should close this forum?

Old
01-06-2013, 03:55 PM
canucksfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
Honestly, can we put our lack of success in this tournament to bed? When your best d-man is Steve Staois, I think you can safely say you have not sent your "A" squad to that tournament.
Other teams have this problem as well. All I hear about is how Canada's depth is so great, yet it doesn't do well in a tournament that is based on depth.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:57 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
So what you are saying is we should close this forum?
No I'm saying pick your battles. No need to sweat what is said here and get our backs up against a wall.

Old
01-06-2013, 04:09 PM
AD1066
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Oh, this is good.

Old
01-06-2013, 04:14 PM
allan5oh
Adv stats blowhard

vCash: 50
I just love it that the quality of competition has improved vastly in these tournaments. I offer no excuses as to why Canada didn't win gold, they simply lost to two great teams.

It is not our god given right to trample everyone en route to the gold every year.

Old
01-06-2013, 04:45 PM
Indian

Canada didn't win because of that damn artificial light they brought to Ufa

Old
01-06-2013, 04:48 PM
mahagga73

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Canada, Sweden = 8
USA, Russia = 7
Gold medals should be weighted. Since I've been really following the tourney it is obvious to me Canada and the USA have been the best teams. This is since 04 or so. Sweden hasn't beat the US in a hundred years, they have one tourney win, and the same with the Russians.

Old
01-06-2013, 04:51 PM
mahagga73

Quote:

LOL, you just showed, in great detail by your post , why so many root against Canada and revel in their defeat. "the little guy" huh. Get over yourself.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:04 PM
mahagga73

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
It's fun for the smaller fan bases to rag on the bigger ones so that they feel better about themselves. We see it all the time. NHL fans hating on the Leafs, Canadiens and Bruins/Rangers; baseball fans hating on the Yankees and Bosox; so in international play it's the thing to do to hate on Canada. Don't read much into it.
Why in the world would anyone rag on the Leafs, even people who know nothing about hockey know they are the Chicago Cubs of hockey.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:07 PM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

Canada is still the best hockey country but I think USA and Sweden have gotten closer.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:11 PM
mahagga73

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
And they were beaten. Twice
Your point is what, they still won.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:39 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
I just love it that the quality of competition has improved vastly in these tournaments. I offer no excuses as to why Canada didn't win gold, they simply lost to two great teams.

It is not our god given right to trample everyone en route to the gold every year.
Agreed, isnt this the fun of international tournaments? Canada is certainly the hockey center of the world, but when you put the best from the US, Russia, Sweden, etc. against them, the talent level is very close. Differing playing styles add to the fun, so talent doesnt mean everything.

Its like the US with basketball, who doesnt like to see them lose to Argentina?

Old
01-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontdive View Post
No one tournament can define how good a country is in general at hockey (junior hockey lately being in the discussion), bad luck alone can make the difference between a gold medal and no medal at all. But over time, luck should average out and show who really is best.

In the past 20 years of the World Juniors, if you gave the gold medallists 3 points, the silver 2 points, and bronze 1 point, here's what you'd get:

Canada 42
Russia 32
Sweden 17
United States 13
Finland 9
Czech Republic 7
Slovakia 1
Switzerland 1

The results speak for themselves.
You should do the same for the World Cup.

England would be equal with Spain I believe. We're nowhere near as good as them.

Just because you've won the most in the earlier years due to dominance, better finances, structures and coaching doesn't mean you're the best now. The rest of the world is catching and if Canada is lax they'll over take them.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:55 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
The rest of the world has definitely caught up with Canada's junior-development.
Is that what people said in 1998 when Canada finished 7th? Or in 2004 where they went their 7th straight tournament without gold?

No doubt other countries have improved, especially Sweden and USA. But it's funny that people act as if Canada all of a sudden is just an average joe. USA went to the relegation round last year, and won Gold this year. It's an incredibly unpredictable tournament, and that is something Canadians need to realize too. Obviously we expect Gold, but there will be times where we have tournaments like this too. Just the way it is. Anything can happen in such a short span of games.

Last edited by LeafOfBread: 01-06-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old
01-06-2013, 06:00 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

My god I've never seen such sore losers in my life over a kids tournament. I just don't get it.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:11 PM
MaxV

I'm of opinion that there is nothing wrong with Canadian hockey development.

I think recent years have shown that development in other countries have improved significantly.

Other countries now bring highly talented teams to this tournament.

Closed Thread