HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Draft lottery will change

Old
01-06-2013, 08:08 AM
tiredman

vCash: 500
Draft lottery will change

Quote:
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Draft lottery will change. All 14 teams fully eligible for 1st pick overall. Weighting system may remain, but 4-move restriction out.
I think it's a great news.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:11 AM
Ginger Jesus

This is terrible news it could screw over the really bad teams and have a team that just missed the playoffs getting the 1st overall.

Ginger Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:12 AM
Dirty Dan
Saturday Night Lupul

Hopefully Oilers get 9th place and still win it. Lulz

But hey now we don't have to stress about bottom 5. Leafs barely even did that right

Dirty Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:13 AM
viper0220
Go Jets Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredman View Post
I think it's a great news.

I don't get this, don't all the 30 teams have a pick in the first round? Can someone please explain how this will
work now cause I don't get it?

viper0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:14 AM
nuclear reactor

Great news. Sick of seeing awful organizations like Pittsburgh and Edmonton suck at the draft teet for years. Hopefully there is more reform.

nuclear reactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:17 AM
JWells16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclear reactor View Post
Great news. Sick of seeing awful organizations like Pittsburgh and Edmonton suck at the draft teet for years. Hopefully there is more reform.
I get this line of thinking, but I think people are going to be singing a different tune when a solid team barely misses the playoffs and then wins the lottery while a team that needs a franchise player continues to lose attendance and hope.

JWells16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:18 AM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiTzLaMia View Post
This is terrible news it could screw over the really bad teams and have a team that just missed the playoffs getting the 1st overall.
I think the odds for the last placed team was too good anyway. Much better in the 33 percent range or something so teams dont just tank at the end. Even if they loose they still will get number 2.

Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:18 AM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper0220 View Post
I don't get this, don't all the 30 teams have a pick in the first round? Can someone please explain how this will
If you miss the playoffs, you have a chance at getting the #1 overall pick, before this change, you could only move up 4 spots with the lottery.

I love this new rule. As mentioned above, sick of seeing teams like Pittsburgh and Edmonton tank for years and just draft in the top 2 for a few years in a row.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:21 AM
James Duthie
Kadri is 3 Hunna

I think that's a great decision.

James Duthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:23 AM
Sour Shoes
lol u mad cam?

it would be an utter disappointment if the pens somehow missed the playoffs in this shortened season. but it would be hilarious if they secured the #1 pick in this new system.

Sour Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:26 AM
punk_o_holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper0220 View Post
Yes all teams have a 1st rounder but playoff teams can't move up in the draft as they are ineligible for the lottery. In the past, non playoff teams were only in the lottery and they could only move up 4 spots. Every non playoff team has a chance to win the lottery but only the bottom 5 had a chance at the number 1 pick(2 years ago, Devils won the lottery but they picked 4th). But I guess now, teams can move further then 4 spots. So essentially the same draft idea with one big rule change.

Also, teams could only drop one spot.

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:26 AM
MillarWithASave
#CatsAreComing

What are the chances of a 14th place team winning the 1st pick though? 0.0000001%?

MillarWithASave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:27 AM
tlallstar6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWells16 View Post
I get this line of thinking, but I think people are going to be singing a different tune when a solid team barely misses the playoffs and then wins the lottery while a team that needs a franchise player continues to lose attendance and hope.
This was my first though. The moment the team who just missed the playoffs gets the first pick, there will be an uproar.

tlallstar6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Halibut

Quote:
True, that might happen but that guy they took first overall could end up being Alexander Daigle or Patrik Stefan. The draft is never a certainty and some of the best players end up getting picked much later. Still even in a worst case scenario where the first overall is a superstar and a slumping team who should be much better gets him the bad teams will still only move down one spot so they still have the best chance to improve through the draft and bad teams usually dont improve over night so they are protected over the longer run.

Halibut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
tiredman

Quote:
The draft is suppose to give a chance to the bad teams to improve [more than the good ones].

A bad team must not only be evaluated on the short term but also on the it's future.

The problem with the old lottery system is that it was rewarding teams who suck only in the short term and it was not taking in consideration the prospect pool of these teams.

Now, teams with no good prospects pool who try to make the playoffs every year will have a chance to win the 1st overall pick.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:34 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Good decision. I see some downside, but anything to reduce the importance of the word "tanking" in professional sports.

Vipers31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:35 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
I love the tanking talk. It's going to the NBA system, where tanking really happens.

The only thing that will happen is a more mediocre team will gain access to the #1 pick. The bad teams will still be at the top of the draft, if the Oilers are terrible and finish last this year, they're still going to draft 1st or 2nd

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:37 AM
punk_o_holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredman View Post
The draft is suppose to give a chance to the bad teams to improve [more than the good ones].

A bad team must not only be evaluated on the short term but also on the it's future.

The problem with the old lottery system is that it was rewarding teams who suck only in the short term and it was not taking in consideration the prospect pool of these teams.

Now, teams with no good prospects pool who try to make the playoffs every year will have a chance to win the 1st overall pick.
Even if everyone has a chance, bottom teams still have the odds to win it, compared to a team that barely missed the playoffs. In hte old system, you could only drop 1 spot, assuming it's the same still. So even if a 9th place team wins the lottery. The last place team still gets the 2nd overall pick which is still great. Only problem is, if this takes place during the McDavid draft year. A struggling team could really use him. Although the NHL could fix the draft to make sure a bottom team wins/retains the pick right???

Old
01-06-2013, 08:40 AM
LeeIFBB
Teflon Doug

Now wait for Detroit to just miss the playoffs and end up with the #1 pick.

LeeIFBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:41 AM
Shoalzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeIFBB View Post

If they look like a limp noodle of a team...you think I wouldn't want Seth Jones?

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:42 AM
Regal

I think the people who don't like it are too preoccupied with the idea of bad teams not being able to get better, but its likely going to be weighted where the just miss teams have a low chance of getting the number one, as well as protected, so the truly bad teams will still get a high pick. Highly unlikely they'd structure it so the 30th place team could end up picking 14th. And really, with the parity in the league today, there isn't a ton separating the bottom teams. Luck and injuries are often the biggest factors in the placement of the bottom 5-7 teams.

Regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:42 AM
punk_o_holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeIFBB View Post
Then they choose Jones and he becomes the next Lidstrom.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:46 AM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regal View Post
I think the people who don't like it are too preoccupied with the idea of bad teams not being able to get better, but its likely going to be weighted where the just miss teams have a low chance of getting the number one, as well as protected, so the truly bad teams will still get a high pick. Highly unlikely they'd structure it so the 30th place team could end up picking 14th. And really, with the parity in the league today, there isn't a ton separating the bottom teams. Luck and injuries are often the biggest factors in the placement of the bottom 5-7 teams.
2 years ago NY lost out on the playoffs by losing a shootout to Flyers on the last day of the season. Under the new rules they would have been eligible for the lottery and could have conceivably gotten RNH.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:47 AM
Oenatzu
Chad-in-the-Box

No reason for teams to tank now, which is a good thing. You can compete for a playoff spot till the end and still participate in the draft lottery if left out.

Oenatzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:53 AM
Jedgi

Don't like this, NHL's draft system was my favorite of them.

Jedgi is offline   Reply With Quote