HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Draft lottery will change

Old
01-06-2013, 11:32 AM
Shredator

vCash: 1476
As an Oilers fan, I hate this idea. A 4th straight #1 overall would be just fantastic.
Just imagine if the Oilers finish 10th in the Western Conference and then actually end up winning the lottery again. Would there be 50 threads popping up every single day that the lottery needs to be changed? I remember when we won the Lottery vs Columbus, I actually had a cackle in my laugh. It was glorious.

But as a hockey fan, I like this idea. I would think that there is still a weighting to the system, just now that teams from 14-30 all have a chance.

Especially in the shortened season any team has the chance to miss the playoffs. Imagine if Pittsburgh, Minnesota or Carolina wins the #1 overall. Those teams would be just unbelievable

Shredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:32 AM
Raider917

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiTzLaMia View Post
This is terrible news it could screw over the really bad teams and have a team that just missed the playoffs getting the 1st overall.
how is that bad? teams that are always last will now have to actually try to start winning by putting more money into scouting and not completely wasting draft picks.

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:48 AM
jrc494

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeIFBB View Post
Now wait for Detroit to just miss the playoffs and end up with the #1 pick.
This is EXACTLY what I thought of when I read the OP.

jrc494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:49 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917 View Post
how is that bad? teams that are always last will now have to actually try to start winning by putting more money into scouting and not completely wasting draft picks.
Exactly. These guys aren't trying to scout and draft good players at all. It's all a sham. Smoke and mirrors.

01-06-2013, 11:52 AM
ScottyBowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917 View Post
So you feel comfortable with some backroom lottery that only nhl officials see and then they do a 30 minute lottery show and unveil envelopes. The worst draft system is the NBA's and the NHL is going to emulate that. That is just a big joke.

ScottyBowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:54 AM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 825
About time. Failure to make the playoffs is plenty reason to be eligible for #1 rather than limiting eligibility to only the horribly pathetic.

leaflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:57 AM
Raider917

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBowman View Post
So you feel comfortable with some backroom lottery that only nhl officials see and then they do a 30 minute lottery show and unveil envelopes. The worst draft system is the NBA's and the NHL is going to emulate that. That is just a big joke.
i would like to see a system where the 9th place teams draft 1 and 2, 10th 3 and 4.....

this would penalize teams for not even trying to win and help the teams that do. it is more of a welfare system like the way it is now. its bad enough that there is revenue sharing and we have to cope with watching these joke of franchises (phoenix, columbus etc.)

this would be a ideal way to get force the league to do what should be done already.....contraction.

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:57 AM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
Is there any evidence that "tanking" was actually a legitimate problem? I mean, other than fans of certain teams being annoyed that rivals had a good run of fortune in the draft?

What do people mean by tanking? Teams going nowhere trading off veteran players, which is just sensible strategy? Is it somehow more honorable to run like say the Leafs and be positioned for perpetual mediocrity?
This. People think Edmonton and Pitt "tanked" for multiple seasons.

Pitt had the 2nd worst team in 02-03, and ended up with Fleury. Was an 18 year old goalie supposed to step into the NHL right away and improve them that much?

The next year they had the worst record and ended up with the 2nd pick and took Malkin.

Then there was a lockout and there was no season and they ended up with Crosby.

They didn't tank for multiple years. They were bad and the guy they picked wasn't someone who had immediate impact, so they were bad again, and then there was no season.

Dr Quincy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:58 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover View Post
About time. Failure to make the playoffs is plenty reason to be eligible for #1 rather than limiting eligibility to only the horribly pathetic.
Makes sense right? I mean, let's say Crosby and Malkin both get injured and miss most of one season. The Pens deserve to add another superstar because they just missed the playoffs.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:59 AM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
Is there any evidence that "tanking" was actually a legitimate problem? I mean, other than fans of certain teams being annoyed that rivals had a good run of fortune in the draft?

What do people mean by tanking? Teams going nowhere trading off veteran players, which is just sensible strategy? Is it somehow more honorable to run like say the Leafs and be positioned for perpetual mediocrity?
Look at the roster Pittsburgh rolled out before the Crosby/Malkin drafts. They were not trying to win a game if they could help it. Some of the worst rosters I've ever seen in the NHL. Their leading scorer was Dick Tarnstrom, guys like Brochu and Aubin in net, they new full well Crosby was coming up and Lemieux had the league's ear.

That's tanking.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:59 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Dan View Post
Hopefully Oilers get 9th place and still win it. Lulz

But hey now we don't have to stress about bottom 5. Leafs barely even did that right
the Leafs, Oilers, Jets, Isles and Columbus could get royally screwed using this system.

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:00 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
This. People think Edmonton and Pitt "tanked" for multiple seasons.

Pitt had the 2nd worst team in 02-03, and ended up with Fleury. Was an 18 year old goalie supposed to step into the NHL right away and improve them that much?

The next year they had the worst record and ended up with the 2nd pick and took Malkin.

Then there was a lockout and there was no season and they ended up with Crosby.

They didn't tank for multiple years. They were bad and the guy they picked wasn't someone who had immediate impact, so they were bad again, and then there was no season.

Forgot Staal. But your point still is accurate.

And free agents are always dying to go to teams that are rebuilding, because 1. They're making a ton of revenue and 2. They are winning.

Old
01-06-2013, 12:01 PM
leaflover
New hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
Makes sense right? I mean, let's say Crosby and Malkin both get injured and miss most of one season. The Pens deserve to add another superstar because they just missed the playoffs.
Yes it does, which would be why i opened my post with "about time".

Old
01-06-2013, 12:05 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Yes it does, which would be why i opened my post with "about time".
I'm sorry you weren't joking. Clearly I should have put a big right there for you in the first post.

Old
01-06-2013, 12:06 PM
leaflover
New hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
I'm sorry you weren't joking. Clearly I should have put a big right there for you in the first post.
Thats ok, not everyone can keep up.

Old
01-06-2013, 12:11 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Thats ok, not everyone can keep up.
Hmm. Sounds more like you need some upkeep, in the belfry, more than anyone needing to keep up. But hey, have a nice day.

Old
01-06-2013, 12:11 PM
HarveySpecter

Everyone here is overreacting.. we don't even know the system they are going to use yet. I'm sure it will still be nearly impossible for teams outside the top 7 to win the lottery.

HarveySpecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:17 PM
Jaymond Flurrie

I'm not sure what to think of this. Assuming the percentages are still the same, the only thing that changes is the prize of lottery win in majority of the cases (unweighted).

I don't know what they want with this. Assure that no-one finishes on purpose at bottom-5? Why would someone do that given that you get pretty small change still to win it?

Jaymond Flurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:18 PM
MessierII

I'm fine with it. The Oilers are done drafting high anyway and last place is still guaranteed second. Not that big a deal.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:21 PM
Neatman

Joke imo. I wish they had taken the time to devise a system in which where teams picked are more randomized (for example, teams 26th-30th are shuffled, teams 21-25th are shuffled, etc.). Giving the last team not to make the playoffs the chance at a 1st overall does nothing but appease fans who will cling to that 0.05% chance of getting the pick.

Neatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:26 PM
Trap Jesus

If it's anything like the NBA, I hate this idea. Tanking is way overblown in sports. And especially this year in a shortened season, you're almost sure to see at least one top-level team miss the playoffs. Having them possibly set up for years based on this would be stupid.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Jaymond Flurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post
If it's anything like the NBA, I hate this idea. Tanking is way overblown in sports. And especially this year in a shortened season, you're almost sure to see at least one top-level team miss the playoffs. Having them possibly set up for years based on this would be stupid.
Even if the chance of that happening for the 17th best team is like 1/200 i.e. you're annoyed if this happens once every 200 years and even then there's no guarantee the team was underachieving (like, say, Flyers would miss the playoffs) and not overachieving (like, say, Blue Jackets almost makes the playoffs) let alone that the draft might be even so that the 1st overall pick is not very different from 5th overall?

Jaymond Flurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:52 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post
Yeah some team (maybe not this year) but at some point will be setup very nicely for a cup run the way Orlando was with drafting Shaq and then having the lowest odds to win but doing so and drafting Penny Hardaway. This scenario will likely play out and then everybody will be complaining how the system is messed up.

Personally I like the idea but its not perfect

doubledown99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:55 PM
Butch 19
King me

This change is looking for a problem that doesn't exist. Teams don't tank.

The previous 5 game bump up if you win the lottery was fine.

This change is not needed, and someday a really bad team (it may be your team) will lose a #1 pick to the #12 team... Sorry, but that's just NOT right.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:55 PM
Picklepete

Send a message via AIM to Picklepete
Quote:
Originally Posted by v3rs3 View Post
Just another way to screw Columbus in the draft. Yay.
oh boo hoo.. Play better & manage team better & maybe you will improve.
League does not owe u anything !

Picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote