HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Draft lottery will change

Old
01-06-2013, 12:56 PM
RDriesenUD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
True, that might happen but that guy they took first overall could end up being Alexander Daigle or Patrik Stefan. The draft is never a certainty and some of the best players end up getting picked much later. Still even in a worst case scenario where the first overall is a superstar and a slumping team who should be much better gets him the bad teams will still only move down one spot so they still have the best chance to improve through the draft and bad teams usually dont improve over night so they are protected over the longer run.
Do we know for sure teams will only move down 1 spot if a team with a better record wins the lottery? In the NBA that isn't the case.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:58 PM
Picklepete

Send a message via AIM to Picklepete
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBowman View Post
So you feel comfortable with some backroom lottery that only nhl officials see and then they do a 30 minute lottery show and unveil envelopes. The worst draft system is the NBA's and the NHL is going to emulate that. That is just a big joke.
Well Bettman is ex NBA guy

Picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:00 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
Pretty happy with this. I was sick of watching teams lie on their backs and just make top 5 picks year after year, with no attempt to bring in FA's or make trades to improve the team.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:00 PM
JetsFlyHigh

Im happy about this!

The 30th team, for example Columbus, don't get the first overall, I believe they will automatically be getting the 2nd pick?

It's still doesn't change anything. It's just gonna decrease your chances. Bad for bad luck teams like the Blue Jackets.

JetsFlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:09 PM
tiredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
This change is looking for a problem that doesn't exist. Teams don't tank.

The previous 5 game bump up if you win the lottery was fine.

This change is not needed, and someday a really bad team (it may be your team) will lose a #1 pick to the #12 team... Sorry, but that's just NOT right.
Well, is it really better to give a team 3 first overall picks in 3 years ? The old system was rewarding teams who suck on the short term only.

Edmonton and its prospects pool was better than most other teams after the year they drafted Taylor Hall. Why should they have received another first overall pick the year after ?

There was many more teams who were worse than the Oilers. Sure the Oilers were still terrible on the short term. But overall, when considering the future, they were better than say, the Blue Jackets or the Leafs.

I agree though that the new system is maybe not the best. But it'll not only give chances to the bottom 5 teams of the year's final standings.

I think a better system would consider the draft ranking of the previous years + the final standings of the current and previous years.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:16 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I love the tanking talk. It's going to the NBA system, where tanking really happens.
This.

Though I have to admit, it would be hilarious if Edmonton misses the playoffs by one point this year and then wins the lottery.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:18 PM
Taco Fingerhat

This might hurt the Edmonton's of the world, but it will definitely help the Calgary's of the world.
Teams that for better or worse, refuse to tank and still moderately suck, should be rewarded. I dig it.

Taco Fingerhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:23 PM
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points

Love it!

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:25 PM
ukapu

I think the thing I like most about this is not how it prevents tanking, but how it'll help out the teams in the purgatory of placing 9th to 13th in the conference, where they're not good enough to make the playoffs but not bad enough to get great draft picks.

ukapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:26 PM
ZugNugget

This won't change "tanking" at all, provided all that's changed is that all 14 teams have a shot at #1. Each team in the bottom 5 (the ones who are "tanking") still have the same potential. To draft in their initial position, to move down one, or to draft 1st overall.

ZugNugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:30 PM
ZugNugget

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukapu View Post
I think the thing I like most about this is not how it prevents tanking, but how it'll help out the teams in the purgatory of placing 9th to 13th in the conference, where they're not good enough to make the playoffs but not bad enough to get great draft picks.
No team as good as 9th has ever won the lottery. The Devils are the highest placed team to win, at 8th. Had the NHL had this system in the past, no 9th-13th ranked team would have won. Provided of course that the only change is that all non playoff teams have a shot at #1.

ZugNugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:42 PM
Prairie Habs

Why is everyone saying this is so unjust for the bottom teams? Can't they still only drop a max of 1 spot? I don't think CBJ will fold because they have to pick 2nd instead of first.

Last edited by DaveG: 01-06-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:45 PM
ukapu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugNugget View Post
No team as good as 9th has ever won the lottery. The Devils are the highest placed team to win, at 8th. Had the NHL had this system in the past, no 9th-13th ranked team would have won. Provided of course that the only change is that all non playoff teams have a shot at #1.
I guess I'm taking it to mean that all the non-playoff teams will have better chances to move up spots.

ukapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:48 PM
Jahodac

Should have kept it the same but I guess it helps teams stuck in mediocrity.

Jahodac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:51 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
I'm happy

I wanted this forever.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:56 PM
Fabs

It's about time. Garbage teams shouldn't be rewarded for being garbage season after season. Especially when their GM's make no real moves to even attempt to improve.

Fabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:00 PM
Shredator

vCash: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Pretty happy with this. I was sick of watching teams lie on their backs and just make top 5 picks year after year, with no attempt to bring in FA's or make trades to improve the team.
I hope that this is not directed towards the Oilers. Over time people tend to forget.
The Oilers attempted time and time again to acquire top end talent via trades and UFA.
We got Pronger, he left.
We traded Smyth over chump change.

We tried to get Heatley, Nylander, Hossa, there were rumors of Lecavalier and Kovalchuk.
The Oilers had no other options.

Shredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:01 PM
JacketsFanWest

As a Columbus fan, I'm not against this. They've been a non-playoff team, but rarely bad enough to get a 1st overall. They even picked 4th in their first year. They usually pick 6th or 7th and picking whoever was left over from the top picks. Moving up from there to #1 would have been huge.

For the NHL and the players union, I can see them preferring to have the next young star go to a team who was just out of playoff contention than one of the teams who are always struggling where that player has to carry the franchise on their back. Few young players can do that.

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:03 PM
Tony D63
Tortsless Rangers

Its a good idea.... It forces teams to be competitive.. no more tanking. Edmonton will still find their way with a #1 pick.

Tony D63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:12 PM
Lion

Edmonton got what they needed with the old lottery system... I'm fine with this

Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:18 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Now that the NHL is using the same system as the NBA I wonder how long until others say it's fixed for certin teams. For example let's say Phoenix just misses the Playoffs finishing 9th in the Western Conference and would have the worst odd's of getting the 1st overall pick. However they end up winning the Draft Lottery, would some people claim Bettman wanted that to happen based on their ownership history the past few years since they were run by the league.

Using the NBA example during their 2012 Draft Lottery the New Orleans Hornets won the 1st overall pick last year and at that time they were still owned by the NBA, although they were on the process of being sold to Tom Benson who also owns the New Orleans Saints. Plus they didn't even have one of the worst records last season and a lot of people said David Stern put the fix in for them to win based on their franchise needs at that time.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:20 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
2 years ago NY lost out on the playoffs by losing a shootout to Flyers on the last day of the season. Under the new rules they would have been eligible for the lottery and could have conceivably gotten RNH.
Actually had that year they would have got a shot a drafting Taylor Hall 1st overall since that happened during the 2009-2010 season.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:10 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Now that the NHL is using the same system as the NBA I wonder how long until others say it's fixed for certin teams. For example let's say Phoenix just misses the Playoffs finishing 9th in the Western Conference and would have the worst odd's of getting the 1st overall pick. However they end up winning the Draft Lottery, would some people claim Bettman wanted that to happen based on their ownership history the past few years since they were run by the league.

Using the NBA example during their 2012 Draft Lottery the New Orleans Hornets won the 1st overall pick last year and at that time they were still owned by the NBA, although they were on the process of being sold to Tom Benson who also owns the New Orleans Saints. Plus they didn't even have one of the worst records last season and a lot of people said David Stern put the fix in for them to win based on their franchise needs at that time.
I could actually see this if Jamieson's deal falls through [again]
Happens in NBA and one could argue that it happened with Crosby so it's possible

frag2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:16 PM
patnyrnyg

Are they just selecting the 1st pick, or is it like the NBA where they choose the top 3 and then rank by worst record? I'd like to see it expanded further. Make it a more even distribution on the probability. 14 teams do not make the play-offs. 5 worst records get 3 entries, next 5 get 2, next 5 get 1. Pick the top 6 picks,then rank the remainder.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:24 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

2013 Western Conference standings:
1-8. blah
9. Edmonton Oilers
10-15. blah

Bill Daly: and the winner of the 2013 NHL draft lottery is... the Edmonton Oilers

HFboards: #($*!@&%$!%$@#)$*!#()%&#$@(%*!&$#)$*@(!#

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote