HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Training Camp: Day 2 Over

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2013, 01:20 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Eww, Raymond on the wing
I'd agree I've sort of had my fill of him on this team. He's more of a third liner at this point, and though he's defensively responsible enough to play that role he isn't exactly an ideal fit on any one line.

Old
01-11-2013, 01:20 PM
Love

I know we all love to hate Raymond but a line of Booth-Schroeder-Raymond is probably one of the fastest in the league if nothing else.

Old
01-11-2013, 01:21 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 1752
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNetPresence View Post
christ i'm sick of raymond, i can't wait until he is off this team
agreed

Old
01-11-2013, 01:21 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
I legitimately feel Booth will be surprising some people this year. He's settled and healthy, and he's got some decent tools to work with. I think he's going to have a bounce back (half) season.

I would like to say the same for Raymond, but I'm a bit more cautious on him. Could easily seem him get leap-frogged by Hansen on the depth chart.
I think you could scramble those names and get 33% of this fan base to agree with you.

Old
01-11-2013, 01:23 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Quote:
Go, Schroeder, go!
Called this line in the Line-up thread

Old
01-11-2013, 01:23 PM
Scurr

Quote:
I legitimately feel Booth will be surprising some people this year. He's settled and healthy, and he's got some decent tools to work with. I think he's going to have a bounce back (half) season.

I would like to say the same for Raymond, but I'm a bit more cautious on him. Could easily seem him get leap-frogged by Hansen on the depth chart.
Booth is going to make a great complementary player on a line with two guys that handle the puck and drive play. If you're expecting him to be the one handling the puck and driving play, you're going to be disappointed imo.

Raymond is much the same. He handles the puck better than Booth but hasn't shown the strength or passing to get the puck into dangerous areas. I don't feel like Raymond is as far away from being a really good player as most do. If he can figure out a way to stay on his feet and turn the corner when he gets a step on guys, along with his hard work and defensive play, he's going to be a very effective player.

Old
01-11-2013, 01:26 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

AV forces Raymond down our throats to the level of Spott/Murphy

You better show you deserve that ice time Raymond.

Old
01-11-2013, 01:26 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
I think you could scramble those names and get 33% of this fan base to agree with you.
I understand that, and I know that Booth and Raymond are probably the two biggest lightning rods for criticism on the team at this point. I just think Booth is going to exceed expectations this year. I'm also really curious to see how Hansen's stint in Finland will impact his offensive game.

EDIT: I also feel a Schroeder/Booth pairing could be a positive thing. Kesler is a shoot-first guy, and so is Booth. Schroeder is more of a playmaker, so I think there's a solid chance that those two could develop some chemistry.

Raymond is a bit of a puck-hog/perimiter player, so I don't know how long he would last on that line.

Old
01-11-2013, 01:29 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Oh, and officially official confirmation from AV - Barker has accepted his PTO invite.

Everyone is skating at UBC except for Kesler, but he is at the rink.

Old
01-11-2013, 01:29 PM
Benjo

Hopefully Raymond takes off his skate guards this season

Old
01-11-2013, 01:34 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
AV forces Raymond down our throats to the level of Spott/Murphy

You better show you deserve that ice time Raymond.
I understand Vigneault giving him the "it's your spot to lose" mentality. Raymond has scored 25 goals in an NHL season and played a top-six role comfortably; others have not. For various reasons (injury, consistency) he hasn't been able to get back there, but it makes sense that - as long as he is still on the team - he get put in a situation where they try to help him succeed.

Now, if Raymond is flopping spectacularly and is still getting the plum ice time, I will become perturbed.

Old
01-11-2013, 01:35 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
I understand that, and I know that Booth and Raymond are probably the two biggest lightning rods for criticism on the team at this point. I just think Booth is going to exceed expectations this year. I'm also really curious to see how Hansen's stint in Finland will impact his offensive game.

EDIT: I also feel a Schroeder/Booth pairing could be a positive thing. Kesler is a shoot-first guy, and so is Booth. Schroeder is more of a playmaker, so I think there's a solid chance that those two could develop some chemistry.

Raymond is a bit of a puck-hog/perimiter player, so I don't know how long he would last on that line.
The speed of that potential line will give opposition defenses fits. If they can somehow figure out how to share the puck, it'll be an excellent line.

Old
01-11-2013, 01:35 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Really pulling for Schroeder to step-up and solidify himself on that second line. I don't really mind Ebbett ... he had some fairly good games last season ... but I definitely don't see him as a consistent second liner at this point.

One upside of the shortened season is that AV will likely not be able to run his typical training camp / pre-season line blender where we don't actually see our real line-up until opening night. Hopefully that gets us off to a stronger start than usual, as I'm fairly convinced that stupid line-up crap is one of the reasons we always start slowly.

Old
01-11-2013, 01:38 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Really pulling for Schroeder to step-up and solidify himself on that second line. I don't really mind Ebbett ... he had some fairly good games last season ... but I definitely don't see him as a consistent second liner at this point.
I wanna see what Schroder can do, but don't count on it. The little guy barely goes over a point every-other-game in the AHL, if he struggles down there he probably won't do anything for the Canucks.

Old
01-11-2013, 01:38 PM
PRNuck

Actually all that time playing with Billy Sweatt should help prep Schroeder for dealing with Raymond.

Old
01-11-2013, 01:43 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
I wanna see what Schroder can do, but don't count on it. The little guy barely goes over a point every-other-game in the AHL, if he struggles down there he probably won't do anything for the Canucks.
I'd agree unfortunately. The most likely scenario may well be Higgins at centre on that second line. Schroeder is probably a long shot and I don't see Ebbett sticking there either ... Lapierre lacks the necessary skill set in my opinion.

Old
01-11-2013, 01:45 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Actually all that time playing with Billy Sweatt should help prep Schroeder for dealing with Raymond.

Old
01-11-2013, 01:47 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 400
Quote:
Sweatt will occasionally drive to the net and put himself in harms way to benefit the team. Raymond won't. He plays scared. Can you remember the last time he dropped to block a shot?

Old
01-11-2013, 01:48 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Quote:
I understand Vigneault giving him the "it's your spot to lose" mentality. Raymond has scored 25 goals in an NHL season and played a top-six role comfortably; others have not. For various reasons (injury, consistency) he hasn't been able to get back there, but it makes sense that - as long as he is still on the team - he get put in a situation where they try to help him succeed.

Now, if Raymond is flopping spectacularly and is still getting the plum ice time, I will become perturbed.
Booth, Schroeder, Raymond is a solid line.

Booth and Raymond are players who need the puck on their stick and off quickly. Schroeder provides that playmaking skill that no one other than Henrik provides. Raymond and Schroeder are also good defensively in terms of back-checking and stickwork. The only issue is defensively against the cycle, but I'm sure that their offensive abilities outweigh their defensive deficiencies.

Old
01-11-2013, 01:56 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
Sweatt will occasionally drive to the net and put himself in harms way to benefit the team. Raymond won't. He plays scared. Can you remember the last time he dropped to block a shot?
He spends enough time laying on the ice

Old
01-11-2013, 02:01 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 1752
Schroeder for calder

Old
01-11-2013, 02:30 PM
JanBulisPiggyBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgav View Post
Schroeder for calder
Trading Schroeder For Kyle Calder is a bone head move, it doesn't address our needs and we get completely hosed in that deal

How about we trade Schroeder for Teemu HARTikainin instead

Old
01-11-2013, 02:37 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Interesting.

Quote:
Hosea Cheung @hosea24hours 2m
Said about 6 to 7 more players joining from Chicago Wolves for camp next week. #canucks
Retweeted by gutsmctavish24
View details
I'm guessing Lack, Joslin, Sauve, Andersson, Sweatt, Archibald, and Rodin.

Old
01-11-2013, 02:41 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Interesting.

I'm guessing Lack, Joslin, Sauve, Andersson, Sweatt, Archibald, and Rodin.
Don't think Lack is there, he's been out a while with injury.

Old
01-11-2013, 02:51 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanBulisPiggyBack View Post
Trading Schroeder For Kyle Calder is a bone head move, it doesn't address our needs and we get completely hosed in that deal

How about we trade Schroeder for Teemu HARTikainin instead
That post did a real quick 180, well played.

Closed Thread