HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks Training Camp: Day 2 Over

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-11-2013, 09:56 PM
  #576
JanBulisPiggyBack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
So what exactly is he?
Filling AV's Aaron Rome-shaped hole

JanBulisPiggyBack is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 09:56 PM
  #577
PG Canuck
Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,502
vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCash View Post
Calling it now. Cam barker is playing opening night against the ducks.
He is exactly the player who av can mould.
Mould into what? His next favourite player he'll play as much as he can, even though he's bad?

PG Canuck is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 10:00 PM
  #578
timw33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCash View Post
Calling it now. Cam barker is playing opening night against the ducks.
He is exactly the player who av can mould.
Give me an example of a player like Cam Barker that he has moulded?

timw33 is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 10:01 PM
  #579
CookieCrumbs*
Heads Up!
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 879
vCash: 500
Where the hell is Volpatti? I haven't seen any mention of him at camp or being back in Vancouver.

CookieCrumbs* is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 10:02 PM
  #580
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,347
vCash: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloatedGuppy View Post
Mason Raymond is anything but the total package as a hockey player, but he's become horribly underrated by this fan base. His speed is still incredible and he can still back defenders up like few other players on the team. He can create opportunities for himself. Does he mesh brilliantly with his line mates? Not really. Is he capable of handling the puck beautifully at high speed? Not really. But he's a deft and tricky stickhandler, and he has a hard shot, and he's nifty in shootouts. With normal ice time and power play duty, he'd be a 50 point forward on a lot of teams. That's a valuable asset. Guys like that get 4 million + in free agency these days. Ville Leino money.

Raymond also hustles hard on the back check, is defensively competent, and is a fairly stellar penalty killer. Yes, he falls down a lot. Yes, he's slightly built and can get man handled in the corners. Yes, he still inexplicably looks like a 14 year old boy. He's a decent player who has been absolutely ravaged by injury the last couple of years. It'd be nice if the fans could cut him a little slack and not get the knives out before training camp has even officially opened.
I'm with you.

Outside99* is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 10:08 PM
  #581
Luuuongo
Crabs!
 
Luuuongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,878
vCash: 500
Kevin Connauton ‏@K_Nauts

Anyone else only wash their hands when someone else is in the bathroom so that they don't judge you?

Our future is awesome, lol.

Luuuongo is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 10:10 PM
  #582
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting
 
Seatoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Interior of BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieCrumbs View Post
Where the hell is Volpatti? I haven't seen any mention of him at camp or being back in Vancouver.
He is in Vancouver skating with the rest of the Canucks according to Team1040 today.

Seatoo is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 10:21 PM
  #583
JanBulisPiggyBack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
So what exactly is he?
Filling AV's Aaron Rome-shaped hole

JanBulisPiggyBack is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 10:51 PM
  #584
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,347
vCash: 796
Anyone else think putting a rookie like Schroeder, with zero NHL games, on a line with Booth, is setting him up to fail defensively?*

In my opinion, you have to have 2 proven two way forwards on each of the 2nd and 3rd lines. In Canucks' case that means Hansen, Higgins, Raymond and Lapierre (prior to his unfortunate eye injury I'd have put Malhotra in that group but not based on the past season).

at the same time, you can't over think stuff; Daniel Henrik and Burrows are one of the top lines in the NHL and you shouldn't mess with success, at least to start the season. Now if there was an injury (or trade) to one of the 4 two way forwards mentioned, you do probably move Burrows down.

This opinion is in the context of a Canucks team that will start this lockout shortened season weaker defensively, to wit:

Kesler is hurt; we know how important this past Selke winner is to this team defensively;

Replacement for Salo on the 2nd pairing will have limited experience playing his off-side;

the D depth is much weaker (Rome & Sulzer >>> ??);

finally, if Luongo is traded, it's potentially a step back defensively.

* maybe that's part of AV's plan...

Outside99* is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 10:53 PM
  #585
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,078
vCash: 500
I think you guys are completely nuts to complain about Raymond considering that Kesler's not in the lineup.

Shareefruck is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 11:05 PM
  #586
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 27,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
I think you guys are completely nuts to complain about Raymond considering that Kesler's not in the lineup.
??? Sorry what's the connection there?

LickTheEnvelope is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 11:10 PM
  #587
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck
 
Mr. Canucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kitimat, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
??? Sorry what's the connection there?
My guess? Kesler loves carrying the puck, as does Raymond. With Kesler out, Raymond can now play to that strength a bit more.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 11:11 PM
  #588
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 27,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
My guess? Kesler loves carrying the puck, as does Raymond. With Kesler out, Raymond can now play to that strength a bit more.
He does love carrying the puck... i'll give him that.

LickTheEnvelope is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 11:29 PM
  #589
CookieCrumbs*
Heads Up!
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatoo View Post
He is in Vancouver skating with the rest of the Canucks according to Team1040 today.
Good to hear. Wouldnt want to lose some of our only genuine grit on the roster.

CookieCrumbs* is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 11:43 PM
  #590
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg
 
VinnyC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Na'ē panjā
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,762
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
My guess? Kesler loves carrying the puck, as does Raymond. With Kesler out, Raymond can now play to that strength a bit more.
Canucks back on the ice! Now with 50% more "Raymond loses control of the puck" calls!

VinnyC is offline  
Old
01-12-2013, 05:02 AM
  #591
Pseudonymous
Registered User
 
Pseudonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,498
vCash: 500
Hey how come i haven't seen anyone mention Patrick Mullen, is he invited to camp? Whats the deal with this guy

I saw somebody list all the depth guys on D and nobody mentioned him

Pseudonymous is offline  
Old
01-12-2013, 05:24 AM
  #592
professorchaos
Registered User
 
professorchaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Langley
Country: Canada
Posts: 285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
My guess? Kesler loves carrying the puck, as does Raymond. With Kesler out, Raymond can now play to that strength a bit more.
Raymond will do well if he uses his speed effectively when carrying the puck. His success will also hinge on whether or not his teammates offer him puck support when he gets pinned on the boards as he is not very good at protecting the puck without falling and needs outlets to avoid turning the puck over.

If he plays smart and uses his speed effectively, he will do fine.

professorchaos is offline  
Old
01-12-2013, 05:53 AM
  #593
jigsaw99
Registered User
 
jigsaw99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
He does love carrying the puck... i'll give him that.
he just needs to stay on his feet.

jigsaw99 is offline  
Old
01-12-2013, 05:55 AM
  #594
orcatown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonymous01 View Post
Hey how come i haven't seen anyone mention Patrick Mullen, is he invited to camp? Whats the deal with this guy

I saw somebody list all the depth guys on D and nobody mentioned him
Injured in the second game of the season playing for the Wolves and had season ending shoulder surgery.

orcatown is offline  
Old
01-12-2013, 06:28 AM
  #595
Pseudonymous
Registered User
 
Pseudonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
Injured in the second game of the season playing for the Wolves and had season ending shoulder surgery.
Oh wow really, didn't know that. Thanks

Pseudonymous is offline  
Old
01-12-2013, 10:30 AM
  #596
LeftCoast
Registered User
 
LeftCoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloatedGuppy View Post
Mason Raymond is anything but the total package as a hockey player, but he's become horribly underrated by this fan base. His speed is still incredible and he can still back defenders up like few other players on the team. He can create opportunities for himself. Does he mesh brilliantly with his line mates? Not really. Is he capable of handling the puck beautifully at high speed? Not really. But he's a deft and tricky stickhandler, and he has a hard shot, and he's nifty in shootouts. With normal ice time and power play duty, he'd be a 50 point forward on a lot of teams. That's a valuable asset. Guys like that get 4 million + in free agency these days. Ville Leino money.

Raymond also hustles hard on the back check, is defensively competent, and is a fairly stellar penalty killer. Yes, he falls down a lot. Yes, he's slightly built and can get man handled in the corners. Yes, he still inexplicably looks like a 14 year old boy. He's a decent player who has been absolutely ravaged by injury the last couple of years. It'd be nice if the fans could cut him a little slack and not get the knives out before training camp has even officially opened.

I agree. I think an extended off season with a chance to build some strength in the gym will do wonders for Raymond. I expect a solid bounce back season from Raymond. Over 48 games, 12 - 15 goals and 25+ points would be enormous.

Last year, after not being able to work out all summer, missing training camp and getting a late start to the season recovering from a career threatening injury, it is not surprising he was easily pushed off the puck and had difficulty driving to the net. Prime scoring position are hard fought positions on the ice, not easily surrendered by NHL defensemen. Add to that much decreased PP time, a centre who had an injury plagued year and Booth on the other wing who has tunnel vision and its not surprising at all that Raymond had his worst season as a professional.

LeftCoast is offline  
Old
01-12-2013, 11:33 AM
  #597
billvanseattle
Registered User
 
billvanseattle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: bellingham
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,058
vCash: 500
AV is reported to say:

Dank Hank Burr
Booth Ebbett/Schroeder Rainman
Higgins Lapierre Hansen
Weise Maholtra Kassian
Volpatti

will be the starting lines. So the biggest fight will be whether Schroeder or Ebbett is the 13th/14th player.

I expect Jensen will challenge for a spot when he leaves Sweden ... and Kes will be back ... which means we have 3 excess players when the playoffs hit.

billvanseattle is offline  
Old
01-12-2013, 11:36 AM
  #598
Scurr
Registered User
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post
AV is reported to say:

Dank Hank Burr
Booth Ebbett/Schroeder Rainman
Higgins Lapierre Hansen
Weise Maholtra Kassian
Volpatti

will be the starting lines. So the biggest fight will be whether Schroeder or Ebbett is the 13th/14th player.

I expect Jensen will challenge for a spot when he leaves Sweden ... and Kes will be back ... which means we have 3 excess players when the playoffs hit.
Those lines are gross.

Scurr is online now  
Old
01-12-2013, 11:45 AM
  #599
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 15,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Those lines are gross.
But not surprisng. AV will likely revert back to his Nonis era philosophy and ice the most defensive lineup he can. He might not have a choice.

Drop the Sopel is offline  
Old
01-12-2013, 11:49 AM
  #600
deckercky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Those lines are gross.
I think that Tony Gallagher's suggestion of testing Kassian with the Sedins is one of the only ways of making the lineup look decent with Kesler out.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Booth-Ebbett/Schroeder-Burrows
Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen
Weise - Maholtra - Raymond

If Kassian doesn't click, shuffle him out to something with Burrows on the first line, but Burrows would improve a Booth/Schroeder line immensely, and if Kassian is succeeding, that means the team can use Booth - Kesler - Burrows when Kesler gets back. That would be as good of a top 6 as this team has had (as good as it was for the season with Samuelsson's 35 goal season and Raymond's 25 goal season, but tougher to play against).

However...I'm actually optimistic to see what Raymond can do. He should be fully recovered from his injury, and hopefully he's built up his core strength again. He does have some very good tools, but last year just made all the flaws in his game look worse. When he's on his game, he's a legit top 6 player who doesn't sacrifice defence to produce.

deckercky is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.