HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks Training Camp: Day 2 Over

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2013, 09:56 PM
JanBulisPiggyBack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
So what exactly is he?
Filling AV's Aaron Rome-shaped hole

Old
01-11-2013, 09:56 PM
PG Canuck

vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCash View Post
Calling it now. Cam barker is playing opening night against the ducks.
He is exactly the player who av can mould.
Mould into what? His next favourite player he'll play as much as he can, even though he's bad?

Old
01-11-2013, 10:00 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCash View Post
Calling it now. Cam barker is playing opening night against the ducks.
He is exactly the player who av can mould.
Give me an example of a player like Cam Barker that he has moulded?

Old
01-11-2013, 10:01 PM
CookieCrumbs*
Heads Up!

Where the hell is Volpatti? I haven't seen any mention of him at camp or being back in Vancouver.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:02 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloatedGuppy View Post
Mason Raymond is anything but the total package as a hockey player, but he's become horribly underrated by this fan base. His speed is still incredible and he can still back defenders up like few other players on the team. He can create opportunities for himself. Does he mesh brilliantly with his line mates? Not really. Is he capable of handling the puck beautifully at high speed? Not really. But he's a deft and tricky stickhandler, and he has a hard shot, and he's nifty in shootouts. With normal ice time and power play duty, he'd be a 50 point forward on a lot of teams. That's a valuable asset. Guys like that get 4 million + in free agency these days. Ville Leino money.

Raymond also hustles hard on the back check, is defensively competent, and is a fairly stellar penalty killer. Yes, he falls down a lot. Yes, he's slightly built and can get man handled in the corners. Yes, he still inexplicably looks like a 14 year old boy. He's a decent player who has been absolutely ravaged by injury the last couple of years. It'd be nice if the fans could cut him a little slack and not get the knives out before training camp has even officially opened.
I'm with you.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:08 PM
Luuuongo
Crabs!

Kevin Connauton ‏@K_Nauts

Anyone else only wash their hands when someone else is in the bathroom so that they don't judge you?

Our future is awesome, lol.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:10 PM
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieCrumbs View Post
Where the hell is Volpatti? I haven't seen any mention of him at camp or being back in Vancouver.
He is in Vancouver skating with the rest of the Canucks according to Team1040 today.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:21 PM
JanBulisPiggyBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
So what exactly is he?
Filling AV's Aaron Rome-shaped hole

Old
01-11-2013, 10:51 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Anyone else think putting a rookie like Schroeder, with zero NHL games, on a line with Booth, is setting him up to fail defensively?*

In my opinion, you have to have 2 proven two way forwards on each of the 2nd and 3rd lines. In Canucks' case that means Hansen, Higgins, Raymond and Lapierre (prior to his unfortunate eye injury I'd have put Malhotra in that group but not based on the past season).

at the same time, you can't over think stuff; Daniel Henrik and Burrows are one of the top lines in the NHL and you shouldn't mess with success, at least to start the season. Now if there was an injury (or trade) to one of the 4 two way forwards mentioned, you do probably move Burrows down.

This opinion is in the context of a Canucks team that will start this lockout shortened season weaker defensively, to wit:

Kesler is hurt; we know how important this past Selke winner is to this team defensively;

Replacement for Salo on the 2nd pairing will have limited experience playing his off-side;

the D depth is much weaker (Rome & Sulzer >>> ??);

finally, if Luongo is traded, it's potentially a step back defensively.

* maybe that's part of AV's plan...

Old
01-11-2013, 10:53 PM
Shareefruck

I think you guys are completely nuts to complain about Raymond considering that Kesler's not in the lineup.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:05 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
I think you guys are completely nuts to complain about Raymond considering that Kesler's not in the lineup.
??? Sorry what's the connection there?

Old
01-11-2013, 11:10 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
??? Sorry what's the connection there?
My guess? Kesler loves carrying the puck, as does Raymond. With Kesler out, Raymond can now play to that strength a bit more.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:11 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
My guess? Kesler loves carrying the puck, as does Raymond. With Kesler out, Raymond can now play to that strength a bit more.
He does love carrying the puck... i'll give him that.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:29 PM
CookieCrumbs*
Heads Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatoo View Post
He is in Vancouver skating with the rest of the Canucks according to Team1040 today.
Good to hear. Wouldnt want to lose some of our only genuine grit on the roster.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:43 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Canucks back on the ice! Now with 50% more "Raymond loses control of the puck" calls!

Old
01-12-2013, 05:02 AM
Pseudonymous

Hey how come i haven't seen anyone mention Patrick Mullen, is he invited to camp? Whats the deal with this guy

I saw somebody list all the depth guys on D and nobody mentioned him

Old
01-12-2013, 05:24 AM
professorchaos

Quote:
Raymond will do well if he uses his speed effectively when carrying the puck. His success will also hinge on whether or not his teammates offer him puck support when he gets pinned on the boards as he is not very good at protecting the puck without falling and needs outlets to avoid turning the puck over.

If he plays smart and uses his speed effectively, he will do fine.

Old
01-12-2013, 05:53 AM
jigsaw99

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
He does love carrying the puck... i'll give him that.
he just needs to stay on his feet.

Old
01-12-2013, 05:55 AM
orcatown

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonymous01 View Post
Hey how come i haven't seen anyone mention Patrick Mullen, is he invited to camp? Whats the deal with this guy

I saw somebody list all the depth guys on D and nobody mentioned him
Injured in the second game of the season playing for the Wolves and had season ending shoulder surgery.

Old
01-12-2013, 06:28 AM
Pseudonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
Injured in the second game of the season playing for the Wolves and had season ending shoulder surgery.
Oh wow really, didn't know that. Thanks

Old
01-12-2013, 10:30 AM
LeftCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloatedGuppy View Post
Mason Raymond is anything but the total package as a hockey player, but he's become horribly underrated by this fan base. His speed is still incredible and he can still back defenders up like few other players on the team. He can create opportunities for himself. Does he mesh brilliantly with his line mates? Not really. Is he capable of handling the puck beautifully at high speed? Not really. But he's a deft and tricky stickhandler, and he has a hard shot, and he's nifty in shootouts. With normal ice time and power play duty, he'd be a 50 point forward on a lot of teams. That's a valuable asset. Guys like that get 4 million + in free agency these days. Ville Leino money.

Raymond also hustles hard on the back check, is defensively competent, and is a fairly stellar penalty killer. Yes, he falls down a lot. Yes, he's slightly built and can get man handled in the corners. Yes, he still inexplicably looks like a 14 year old boy. He's a decent player who has been absolutely ravaged by injury the last couple of years. It'd be nice if the fans could cut him a little slack and not get the knives out before training camp has even officially opened.

I agree. I think an extended off season with a chance to build some strength in the gym will do wonders for Raymond. I expect a solid bounce back season from Raymond. Over 48 games, 12 - 15 goals and 25+ points would be enormous.

Last year, after not being able to work out all summer, missing training camp and getting a late start to the season recovering from a career threatening injury, it is not surprising he was easily pushed off the puck and had difficulty driving to the net. Prime scoring position are hard fought positions on the ice, not easily surrendered by NHL defensemen. Add to that much decreased PP time, a centre who had an injury plagued year and Booth on the other wing who has tunnel vision and its not surprising at all that Raymond had his worst season as a professional.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:33 AM
billvanseattle

AV is reported to say:

Dank Hank Burr
Booth Ebbett/Schroeder Rainman
Higgins Lapierre Hansen
Weise Maholtra Kassian
Volpatti

will be the starting lines. So the biggest fight will be whether Schroeder or Ebbett is the 13th/14th player.

I expect Jensen will challenge for a spot when he leaves Sweden ... and Kes will be back ... which means we have 3 excess players when the playoffs hit.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:36 AM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post
AV is reported to say:

Dank Hank Burr
Booth Ebbett/Schroeder Rainman
Higgins Lapierre Hansen
Weise Maholtra Kassian
Volpatti

will be the starting lines. So the biggest fight will be whether Schroeder or Ebbett is the 13th/14th player.

I expect Jensen will challenge for a spot when he leaves Sweden ... and Kes will be back ... which means we have 3 excess players when the playoffs hit.
Those lines are gross.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:45 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Those lines are gross.
But not surprisng. AV will likely revert back to his Nonis era philosophy and ice the most defensive lineup he can. He might not have a choice.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:49 AM
deckercky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Those lines are gross.
I think that Tony Gallagher's suggestion of testing Kassian with the Sedins is one of the only ways of making the lineup look decent with Kesler out.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Booth-Ebbett/Schroeder-Burrows
Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen
Weise - Maholtra - Raymond

If Kassian doesn't click, shuffle him out to something with Burrows on the first line, but Burrows would improve a Booth/Schroeder line immensely, and if Kassian is succeeding, that means the team can use Booth - Kesler - Burrows when Kesler gets back. That would be as good of a top 6 as this team has had (as good as it was for the season with Samuelsson's 35 goal season and Raymond's 25 goal season, but tougher to play against).

However...I'm actually optimistic to see what Raymond can do. He should be fully recovered from his injury, and hopefully he's built up his core strength again. He does have some very good tools, but last year just made all the flaws in his game look worse. When he's on his game, he's a legit top 6 player who doesn't sacrifice defence to produce.

Closed Thread