HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

New CBA BoG death pool! Name the owner who most likely to walk away.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:33 AM
madhi19

vCash: 500
New CBA BoG death pool! Name the owner who most likely to walk away.

Looking at what we know of the new CBA am speculating that Garry will need to use his special eight men rule to pass it over the head of the bottom ten teams in revenue. These guys are getting thrown under the bus big time. 44M floor locked for the next two years always linked at 16M bellow the ceiling. The ceilling for next year at 64.3M will never go bellow that number and will likely start rising up again in year 3 anyway. Barely a bit more revenue sharing and less strict rules to get it so more teams will get a piece anyway.
My question is who of all the teams owners who are in the deep red will give up by either finding a sucker to unload the team or throwing the keys on Garry desk? And Graig Jamison is not a valid answer.

madhi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:06 AM
viper0220
Go Jets Go

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhi19 View Post
Looking at what we know of the new CBA am speculating that Garry will need to use his special eight men rule to pass it over the head of the bottom ten teams in revenue. These guys are getting thrown under the bus big time. 44M floor locked for the next two years always linked at 16M bellow the ceiling. The ceilling for next year at 64.3M will never go bellow that number and will likely start rising up again in year 3 anyway. Barely a bit more revenue sharing and less strict rules to get it so more teams will get a piece anyway.
My question is who of all the teams owners who are in the deep red will give up by either finding a sucker to unload the team or throwing the keys on Garry desk? And Graig Jamison is not a valid answer.

The Answer is no one. The new CBA will be better(than the last one) for the lower revenue teams. And if you take a look at Forbes team values(maybe 10% off or so) you will see that the values of the teams are up and that is how the owners make their money back. And also even if a team is losing money, the owner(s) are proably making money from owning the building(Florida Panthers) and owing a sports team is good for rich people because they can hide their taxes that way(a owner says that he has lost $30 million on his NHL venture and show it on papers by faking it of course but in reaility he has proably lost a lot less.) The only team that I can say is really losing money(and big loads of it) are the Coyotes.

viper0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:08 AM
viper0220
Go Jets Go

Quote:

It will go up but slowly because they are at 50-50.

Old
01-07-2013, 03:12 AM
viper0220
Go Jets Go

Quote:

I think it will be at 60 or around that number because the way they defined HRR is different in the new CBA. The NBA makes 4 Billion in revenue and they cap is at 58.8(I think).

Old
01-07-2013, 03:24 AM
madhi19

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper0220 View Post
I think it will be at 60 or around that number because the way they defined HRR is different in the new CBA. The NBA makes 4 Billion in revenue and they cap is at 58.8(I think).
Actually from all I hear the minimum of the ceiling is capped at 64.3M. So all that happen in the eventuality that HRR get way less than that is more escrow.

Old
01-07-2013, 03:46 AM
viper0220
Go Jets Go

Quote:
Actually from all I hear the minimum of the ceiling is capped at 64.3M. So all that happen in the eventuality that HRR get way less than that is more escrow.

I did not know that. But after two years or whatever they are setting the cap at 64.3 for, I think the cap will drop to around 58-60 million cause there is going to be the 50-50 spilt and I don't think the NHL's reveune will be that high cause lot's of people are still mad and there is just too much uncertainity. I think the Coyotes drain most of the revune sharing that the leauge gives out.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:02 AM
madhi19

Quote:
I did not know that. But after two years or whatever they are setting the cap at 64.3 for, I think the cap will drop to around 58-60 million cause there is going to be the 50-50 spilt and I don't think the NHL's reveune will be that high cause lot's of people are still mad and there is just too much uncertainity. I think the Coyotes drain most of the revenue sharing that the league gives out.
If the Yotes are still in Glendale next season the league will deserve the financial hell they reap. Also the rules maybe less strict for revenue sharing but the Yotes provided they still exist won't get all that much more. Remember less strict rules mean a bigger pool of teams like the Islanders will get a piece. Same pie* divided equally in more slices equal smaller slice. As for fans backlash they did save the season I predict that after giving the league the cold shoulder for a short time most fans will be back. *Almost

Old
01-07-2013, 05:51 AM
viper0220
Go Jets Go

Quote:
If the Yotes are still in Glendale next season the league will deserve the financial hell they reap. Also the rules maybe less strict for revenue sharing but the Yotes provided they still exist won't get all that much more. Remember less strict rules mean a bigger pool of teams like the Islanders will get a piece. Same pie* divided equally in more slices equal smaller slice. As for fans backlash they did save the season I predict that after giving the league the cold shoulder for a short time most fans will be back. *Almost

Totally agree on the revenue sharing part, the pie is bigger but it is going to be shared among more teams, so I think the piece of pie that Coyotes got from revenue sharing last season will remain the same. And also during one of their voting session where Jamison, Bettman and Daly were present, Mayor Shruggs said to Bettman something along the lines of "I just want you to know that even if this lease is approved you will only get 18 million(or whatever the amount) for about 5 years cause the city just won't be able to afford it." And I think that will be the case, if the NHL let's the Coyotes remain in Phoneix they just face the same problems but just a major thing will happen THE CITY OF GLENDALE WILL BE BANKRUPT. And on the fans if the big markets do well they will be back.

Old
01-07-2013, 07:38 AM
wingfan

Quote:
I did not know that. But after two years or whatever they are setting the cap at 64.3 for, I think the cap will drop to around 58-60 million cause there is going to be the 50-50 spilt and I don't think the NHL's reveune will be that high cause lot's of people are still mad and there is just too much uncertainity. I think the Coyotes drain most of the revune sharing that the leauge gives out.
It's not possible for the cap to dip below 64.3 in ANY year of the new cba, just an fyi... Yes it is a 50/50 split, but all that means now is that more player salary will go into escrow.

wingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:52 AM
viper0220
Go Jets Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfan View Post
It's not possible for the cap to dip below 64.3 in ANY year of the new cba, just an fyi... Yes it is a 50/50 split, but all that means now is that more player salary will go into escrow.

Just found out.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:02 AM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Quote:
I don't think anyone was thrown under the bus specifically. I am of the opinion that this CBA ( or any possible CBA ) is not going to make any difference to certain franchises as far as making them financially viable. The new CBA may help ease the pain, but it's not going turn a consistent money loser into a profitable team, nor should it. The CBA should be the frame work that the majority of the league wants to work by, but it is still up to the individual owners to make their franchises be viable thru sound business practices.

The problem I have with Bettman and the lockout is that Bettman's ultimate goal is to get a CBA in place that would make it fool-proof to own an NHL franchise in any market. Well, that's not reality and it will never happen unless the players play for free. So, like I said... some markets are never going to make money regardless of the CBA. Those teams are just in the wrong places.

And I have my opinion as to who those markets are, but I'm not going to name names.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote