HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Trades, Cheat Deals, And More CBA Details!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-07-2013, 09:38 PM
  #1
EichHart
Registered User
 
EichHart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hamburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,476
vCash: 50
Trades, Cheat Deals, And More CBA Details!

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...re-cba-details

The trade market just got a heck of a lot more interesting with this new CBA...My goodness...Are the Canucks totally screwed over by Luongos contract now?

EichHart is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 09:40 PM
  #2
Mc5RingsAndABeer
5-14-6-1
 
Mc5RingsAndABeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 18,700
vCash: 97
Excellent. I'm sick of these cap-circumvention deals.

At the same time, it seems odd to punish deals that the league approved so harshly. They shouldn't have been approved in the first place


Last edited by Mc5RingsAndABeer: 01-07-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Mc5RingsAndABeer is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 09:44 PM
  #3
Bure
Registered User
 
Bure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 3,736
vCash: 500
Like like like. Good job.

Bure is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 09:48 PM
  #4
CanadienKid25
Registered User
 
CanadienKid25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Excellent. I'm sick of these cap-circumvention deals.
It all depends on the wording when the CBA is finalized

CanadienKid25 is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 09:51 PM
  #5
NinthSpoke06
Registered User
 
NinthSpoke06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Excellent. I'm sick of these cap-circumvention deals.

At the same time, it seems odd to punish deals that the league approved so harshly. They shouldn't have been approved in the first place
There was nothing they could do at the time. Those contracts were not against the rules when they signed them so they couldn't not approve them.

Teams were warned not to do this kind of circumvention. So they could have just signed regular deals if they didn't want to face the consequences. I can't wait til someone has to face the actual consequences of this. Should be fun to watch.

NinthSpoke06 is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 09:57 PM
  #6
Reverend Mayhem
Fire this man
 
Reverend Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,867
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Meh. Seems fair enough but weird to retroactively punish teams for the NHL's screw-up.

Reverend Mayhem is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 10:03 PM
  #7
LeftCoast
Registered User
 
LeftCoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,223
vCash: 50
NJ gets a double whammy on the Kovalchuk deal. They get penalized for the original - "circumvention" deal, redo the deal to conform with the NHL guidelines and then get nailed again with the new CBA.

Suck to be Lou.

LeftCoast is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 10:06 PM
  #8
New Liskeard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...re-cba-details

The trade market just got a heck of a lot more interesting with this new CBA...My goodness...Are the Canucks totally screwed over by Luongos contract now?
I really like the idea of teams being able to take on extra cap space in a trade; this will allow for more movement in the NHL and creative deals. This will likely effect the trade deadline. Glad this will be in the new CBA.

New Liskeard is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 10:20 PM
  #9
Joe Sakic
#1 ROR Fan
 
Joe Sakic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 4,756
vCash: 500
The Canucks will now most likely just use one of their two buy-outs on him this summer.

They still have Schneider and a very promising Eddie Lack for back-up.

Joe Sakic is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 11:16 PM
  #10
Preisst*
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Western Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanSeguin View Post
There was nothing they could do at the time. Those contracts were not against the rules when they signed them so they couldn't not approve them.

Teams were warned not to do this kind of circumvention. So they could have just signed regular deals if they didn't want to face the consequences. I can't wait til someone has to face the actual consequences of this. Should be fun to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Meh. Seems fair enough but weird to retroactively punish teams for the NHL's screw-up.
The way I see it the teams that signed these cheat deals were going against the spirit of the rules. They were acting in a selfish manner with no regards to fair play. They were 'legally' cheating. I wish they could all be penalized but technically, in a hair-splitting politician slimy kind of way, they weren't against literal rules. Now we must rely on the Hockey Gods to make them pay, let's Go Karma!!!!!

Preisst* is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 11:22 PM
  #11
dubey
U scared? :(
 
dubey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Your Nightmares
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,455
vCash: 500
So Vancouver and the team that trades for Luongo gets penalized?

+++value

I love the trading cap space idea and that you can't re-sign a player you've bought-out

dubey is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 11:37 PM
  #12
Luiginho
Captain Saku
 
Luiginho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 13,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkmtv com View Post
The Canucks will now most likely just use one of their two buy-outs on him this summer.

They still have Schneider and a very promising Eddie Lack for back-up.
But this would cost the canucks a fortune.

Luiginho is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 11:39 PM
  #13
KevFu
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Orleans
Country: United States
Posts: 4,921
vCash: 500
This would favor some currently poor, big market teams who just announced a new arena deal and could afford to take on a big contract!

KevFu is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 12:00 AM
  #14
EbonyRaptor
Registered User
 
EbonyRaptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Boonies
Country: United States
Posts: 4,223
vCash: 500
WOW - the Hawks have two of those deals - Hossa and Keith. Both players are still top line players and would really hurt to lose them via buyouts ... but if they aren't bought out, there's going to be a hefty price to pay down the road.

Hossa was signed as the final piece to winning the Cup in 09/10. In order to re-sign Keith, Toews and Kane and pay the awards and ELC bonus money earned by Toews and Kane - the Hawks had to dismantle the Cup winning team by trading or letting go Ladd, Versteeg, Byfuglien, Niemi, Burish, Eager and Madden ... and now the new CBA rules regarding Hossa's deal will just add to the price paid to win the Cup.

Was it worth it? As a Hawk's fan I say yes. But it's a helluva steep price to pay.

EbonyRaptor is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 12:22 AM
  #15
Cogburn
Registered User
 
Cogburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,207
vCash: 500
I don't see this being that bad for the Canucks. If we move him, we get hit for 6 million across 3 years in the example...that sucks, but it's something we could swallow. The team trading for him would end up 1.4 million in savings over 7 years, then it starts to even out. Let's say he retires when he stops making 6.7... million dollars a season, that's 9.8/4. Sounds terrible, but the Canucks can swallow the cap space/salary at that point, upto half from the looks of it, in those final years. Seems needlessly complicated, but not half as bad as I thought if we can take some of the cap/salary back.

Sure as heck isn't a positive, but with the wording I got from the article, I don't think it's terrible.

Cogburn is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 12:31 AM
  #16
Cogburn
Registered User
 
Cogburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyRaptor View Post
WOW - the Hawks have two of those deals - Hossa and Keith. Both players are still top line players and would really hurt to lose them via buyouts ... but if they aren't bought out, there's going to be a hefty price to pay down the road.

Hossa was signed as the final piece to winning the Cup in 09/10. In order to re-sign Keith, Toews and Kane and pay the awards and ELC bonus money earned by Toews and Kane - the Hawks had to dismantle the Cup winning team by trading or letting go Ladd, Versteeg, Byfuglien, Niemi, Burish, Eager and Madden ... and now the new CBA rules regarding Hossa's deal will just add to the price paid to win the Cup.

Was it worth it? As a Hawk's fan I say yes. But it's a helluva steep price to pay.
I couldn't fathom Keith or Hossa being bought out. Yeah, that saves a ton of cap space, especially in the future, but it just seems very poor sense to clear out two of your best players.

On a side note, Hossa+Keith get traded to...Boston for Savard+Chara....both sets of players are bought out, and resigned by their former teams, it's an obvious loophole that will likely be covered if it isn't done immediately, and that kind of manipulation is what got teams there in the first place, but am I the only one that sees that as a possibility?

Cogburn is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 02:14 AM
  #17
me2
Callng out the crap
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Blasting the bull***
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 30,220
vCash: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
NJ gets a double whammy on the Kovalchuk deal. They get penalized for the original - "circumvention" deal, redo the deal to conform with the NHL guidelines and then get nailed again with the new CBA.

Suck to be Lou.
He should ask for his pick back.

me2 is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 02:35 AM
  #18
helicecopter
Registered User
 
helicecopter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: give me higher shots
Posts: 8,245
vCash: 500
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...to-luongo.html

i want to hope the NHL added that players would count as retired as long as they are on LTIR in the latter yrs of their deals, but i guess it's not the case.

helicecopter is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 03:32 AM
  #19
me2
Callng out the crap
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Blasting the bull***
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 30,220
vCash: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicecopter View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...to-luongo.html

i want to hope the NHL added that players would count as retired as long as they are on LTIR in the latter yrs of their deals, but i guess it's not the case.
Genuinely injured players should not overly hurt their teams cap, no matter how old. Pronger isn't faking his concussion.

Besides which players on ltir still count against the cap.

me2 is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 03:37 AM
  #20
speeds
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St.Albert
Posts: 6,823
vCash: 500
for a take looking at the potential downside of this rule

http://www.fearthefin.com/2013/1/8/3...makes-no-sense

speeds is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 03:42 AM
  #21
me2
Callng out the crap
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Blasting the bull***
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 30,220
vCash: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkmtv com View Post
The Canucks will now most likely just use one of their two buy-outs on him this summer.
hahahhahaha. That's hilarious.

Why would they buy him out when they can trade him for quality assets?

Why would they spend 20-30m real world dollars to avoid a 2m per year cap hit in 8 years? The nhl/nhlpa will probably have another lockout strike and a new CBA with another round of buyouts or decertification.

Then there is the option of getting a cap floor team to pay him 1m a year not to retire. They'd do just for the 5.3m cap hit so they can get under the floor. Luongo could get a million to drink beer and sit on the beach.


Last edited by me2: 01-08-2013 at 03:50 AM.
me2 is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 04:29 AM
  #22
helicecopter
Registered User
 
helicecopter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: give me higher shots
Posts: 8,245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Genuinely injured players should not overly hurt their teams cap, no matter how old. Pronger isn't faking his concussion.
if Hossa has a real injury and is on LTIR in 2019, it's not like it makes his contract less of a cheat than if he retires.. so nothing wrong with Chicago being responsible for his cap hit even if not retired and the injury is real.

Otherwise, i guess we might see guys like Hossa staying on LTIR for yrs from 2017/2018 onward..

helicecopter is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 06:27 AM
  #23
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 11,363
vCash: 500
Going to close this thread since we already have individual threads discussing the aspects of that article.

For discussion on Cap Benefit Recapture:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1318005

For discussion on Salary Rentention in trades:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1316967

Crease is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.