HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Trades, Cheat Deals, And More CBA Details!

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 09:38 PM
EichHart

vCash: 50
Trades, Cheat Deals, And More CBA Details!

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...re-cba-details

The trade market just got a heck of a lot more interesting with this new CBA...My goodness...Are the Canucks totally screwed over by Luongos contract now?

Old
01-07-2013, 09:40 PM
Mc5RingsAndABeer
5-14-6-1

vCash: 97
Excellent. I'm sick of these cap-circumvention deals.

At the same time, it seems odd to punish deals that the league approved so harshly. They shouldn't have been approved in the first place

Last edited by Mc5RingsAndABeer: 01-07-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old
01-07-2013, 09:44 PM
Bure

vCash: 500
Like like like. Good job.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:48 PM
CanadienKid25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
It all depends on the wording when the CBA is finalized

Old
01-07-2013, 09:51 PM
NinthSpoke06

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post

At the same time, it seems odd to punish deals that the league approved so harshly. They shouldn't have been approved in the first place
There was nothing they could do at the time. Those contracts were not against the rules when they signed them so they couldn't not approve them.

Teams were warned not to do this kind of circumvention. So they could have just signed regular deals if they didn't want to face the consequences. I can't wait til someone has to face the actual consequences of this. Should be fun to watch.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:57 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Fire this man

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Meh. Seems fair enough but weird to retroactively punish teams for the NHL's screw-up.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:03 PM
LeftCoast

vCash: 50
NJ gets a double whammy on the Kovalchuk deal. They get penalized for the original - "circumvention" deal, redo the deal to conform with the NHL guidelines and then get nailed again with the new CBA.

Suck to be Lou.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:06 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...re-cba-details

The trade market just got a heck of a lot more interesting with this new CBA...My goodness...Are the Canucks totally screwed over by Luongos contract now?
I really like the idea of teams being able to take on extra cap space in a trade; this will allow for more movement in the NHL and creative deals. This will likely effect the trade deadline. Glad this will be in the new CBA.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:20 PM
Joe Sakic
#1 ROR Fan

The Canucks will now most likely just use one of their two buy-outs on him this summer.

They still have Schneider and a very promising Eddie Lack for back-up.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:16 PM
Preisst*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanSeguin View Post
There was nothing they could do at the time. Those contracts were not against the rules when they signed them so they couldn't not approve them.

Teams were warned not to do this kind of circumvention. So they could have just signed regular deals if they didn't want to face the consequences. I can't wait til someone has to face the actual consequences of this. Should be fun to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Meh. Seems fair enough but weird to retroactively punish teams for the NHL's screw-up.
The way I see it the teams that signed these cheat deals were going against the spirit of the rules. They were acting in a selfish manner with no regards to fair play. They were 'legally' cheating. I wish they could all be penalized but technically, in a hair-splitting politician slimy kind of way, they weren't against literal rules. Now we must rely on the Hockey Gods to make them pay, let's Go Karma!!!!!

Old
01-07-2013, 11:22 PM
dubey
U scared? :(

So Vancouver and the team that trades for Luongo gets penalized?

+++value

I love the trading cap space idea and that you can't re-sign a player you've bought-out

Old
01-07-2013, 11:37 PM
Luiginho
Captain Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkmtv com View Post
The Canucks will now most likely just use one of their two buy-outs on him this summer.

They still have Schneider and a very promising Eddie Lack for back-up.
But this would cost the canucks a fortune.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:39 PM
KevFu

This would favor some currently poor, big market teams who just announced a new arena deal and could afford to take on a big contract!

Old
01-08-2013, 12:00 AM
EbonyRaptor

WOW - the Hawks have two of those deals - Hossa and Keith. Both players are still top line players and would really hurt to lose them via buyouts ... but if they aren't bought out, there's going to be a hefty price to pay down the road.

Hossa was signed as the final piece to winning the Cup in 09/10. In order to re-sign Keith, Toews and Kane and pay the awards and ELC bonus money earned by Toews and Kane - the Hawks had to dismantle the Cup winning team by trading or letting go Ladd, Versteeg, Byfuglien, Niemi, Burish, Eager and Madden ... and now the new CBA rules regarding Hossa's deal will just add to the price paid to win the Cup.

Was it worth it? As a Hawk's fan I say yes. But it's a helluva steep price to pay.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:22 AM
Cogburn

I don't see this being that bad for the Canucks. If we move him, we get hit for 6 million across 3 years in the example...that sucks, but it's something we could swallow. The team trading for him would end up 1.4 million in savings over 7 years, then it starts to even out. Let's say he retires when he stops making 6.7... million dollars a season, that's 9.8/4. Sounds terrible, but the Canucks can swallow the cap space/salary at that point, upto half from the looks of it, in those final years. Seems needlessly complicated, but not half as bad as I thought if we can take some of the cap/salary back.

Sure as heck isn't a positive, but with the wording I got from the article, I don't think it's terrible.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:31 AM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyRaptor View Post
WOW - the Hawks have two of those deals - Hossa and Keith. Both players are still top line players and would really hurt to lose them via buyouts ... but if they aren't bought out, there's going to be a hefty price to pay down the road.

Hossa was signed as the final piece to winning the Cup in 09/10. In order to re-sign Keith, Toews and Kane and pay the awards and ELC bonus money earned by Toews and Kane - the Hawks had to dismantle the Cup winning team by trading or letting go Ladd, Versteeg, Byfuglien, Niemi, Burish, Eager and Madden ... and now the new CBA rules regarding Hossa's deal will just add to the price paid to win the Cup.

Was it worth it? As a Hawk's fan I say yes. But it's a helluva steep price to pay.
I couldn't fathom Keith or Hossa being bought out. Yeah, that saves a ton of cap space, especially in the future, but it just seems very poor sense to clear out two of your best players.

On a side note, Hossa+Keith get traded to...Boston for Savard+Chara....both sets of players are bought out, and resigned by their former teams, it's an obvious loophole that will likely be covered if it isn't done immediately, and that kind of manipulation is what got teams there in the first place, but am I the only one that sees that as a possibility?

Old
01-08-2013, 02:14 AM
me2
Callng out the crap

vCash: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
NJ gets a double whammy on the Kovalchuk deal. They get penalized for the original - "circumvention" deal, redo the deal to conform with the NHL guidelines and then get nailed again with the new CBA.

Suck to be Lou.
He should ask for his pick back.

Old
01-08-2013, 02:35 AM
helicecopter

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...to-luongo.html

i want to hope the NHL added that players would count as retired as long as they are on LTIR in the latter yrs of their deals, but i guess it's not the case.

Old
01-08-2013, 03:32 AM
me2
Callng out the crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicecopter View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...to-luongo.html

i want to hope the NHL added that players would count as retired as long as they are on LTIR in the latter yrs of their deals, but i guess it's not the case.
Genuinely injured players should not overly hurt their teams cap, no matter how old. Pronger isn't faking his concussion.

Besides which players on ltir still count against the cap.

Old
01-08-2013, 03:37 AM
speeds

for a take looking at the potential downside of this rule

http://www.fearthefin.com/2013/1/8/3...makes-no-sense

Old
01-08-2013, 03:42 AM
me2
Callng out the crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkmtv com View Post
hahahhahaha. That's hilarious.

Why would they buy him out when they can trade him for quality assets?

Why would they spend 20-30m real world dollars to avoid a 2m per year cap hit in 8 years? The nhl/nhlpa will probably have another lockout strike and a new CBA with another round of buyouts or decertification.

Then there is the option of getting a cap floor team to pay him 1m a year not to retire. They'd do just for the 5.3m cap hit so they can get under the floor. Luongo could get a million to drink beer and sit on the beach.

Last edited by me2: 01-08-2013 at 03:50 AM.
Old
01-08-2013, 04:29 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Genuinely injured players should not overly hurt their teams cap, no matter how old. Pronger isn't faking his concussion.
if Hossa has a real injury and is on LTIR in 2019, it's not like it makes his contract less of a cheat than if he retires.. so nothing wrong with Chicago being responsible for his cap hit even if not retired and the injury is real.

Otherwise, i guess we might see guys like Hossa staying on LTIR for yrs from 2017/2018 onward..

Old
01-08-2013, 06:27 AM
Crease

Going to close this thread since we already have individual threads discussing the aspects of that article.

For discussion on Cap Benefit Recapture:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1318005

For discussion on Salary Rentention in trades:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1316967

Closed Thread