HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ryan O'Reilly

Old
01-31-2013, 11:16 PM
oceanchild

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
If he's a 2nd line centre at 21... teams should have no issue giving up those picks.
They will have an issue when the avs match and they artificially inflated the price of contracts pissing off other GMs. Not to mention opening themselves to predatory offersheets as a form of revenge when there young players come up for contract.

Using your logic Doughty, Stamkos where not worth what they wanted or there teams didn't believe in them while they where RFA? Other teams didn't want them either? Then suddenly they sign a contract and there teams paid more than others where willing? If not why didn't hey sign offersheets?

oceanchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:27 PM
S3rkie

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
Depends how good the team is.

A team like St. Louis, who's already young and dominant, would be much better off with Ryan O'Reilly than the aforementioned picks.
yea but how many contending teams have the cap space to fit another 5 mil luxury. I think those teams are more likely to try and acquire him through a trade than an offer sheet

S3rkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:44 PM
PAZ

vCash: 50
Quote:
Objectively...

What does it say about the Avs viewpoint of him when they're only prepared to offer him $3.4m on a 5-year deal to a 21-year old player? Furthermore, what does it say when they're prepared to offer him a higher salary for a shorter term deal? Going one step further, what does it say when nobody in the league is willing to give him something like a 3-year $12-14m deal, and give up a 1st/3rd to get it done?

To me, the offer of $3.4m a year tells me that they definitely don't view him as a #1 centre, and questionable as a #2 centre. $3.4m definitely falls into the #2/3 category for centres.

The fact that they're prepared to offer him $3.5m / 2 also suggests, that they don't think he's going to get any better in those additional 3 years, infact, worse, when you consider inflation.

The fact that nobody in the league has given him an offer sheet worth signing yet, suggest that other teams viewpoint is similar to the Avs, and not the Avs fanbase.
I don't even know why i'm responding to this troll, but whatever.

What's your view on Subban and no offer sheets then? And him being paid $2.8 mil/yr? Did every GM think he wasn't worth more than that? Do you consider him a #4 defenseman because thats what hes getting paid at?

PAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:58 PM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

Quote:
Objectively...

What does it say about the Avs viewpoint of him when they're only prepared to offer him $3.4m on a 5-year deal to a 21-year old player? Furthermore, what does it say when they're prepared to offer him a higher salary for a shorter term deal? Going one step further, what does it say when nobody in the league is willing to give him something like a 3-year $12-14m deal, and give up a 1st/3rd to get it done?

To me, the offer of $3.4m a year tells me that they definitely don't view him as a #1 centre, and questionable as a #2 centre. $3.4m definitely falls into the #2/3 category for centres.

The fact that they're prepared to offer him $3.5m / 2 also suggests, that they don't think he's going to get any better in those additional 3 years, infact, worse, when you consider inflation.

The fact that nobody in the league has given him an offer sheet worth signing yet, suggest that other teams viewpoint is similar to the Avs, and not the Avs fanbase.
And the Habs offered Subban 2.9M, does it mean he's not a top pairing defenseman? It's called using your leverage, look it up.

Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:58 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
Depends how good the team is.

A team like St. Louis, who's already young and dominant, would be much better off with Ryan O'Reilly than the aforementioned picks.

A budget team like the Blues needs their picks. It's a way to have price controlled players.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 06:38 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kschey View Post
Why would a team sign him to an offersheet when they know the Avs would gladly match it as the contract would finally be done.

Would only damage your team's relation to the Avs' front office.
If the Avs are only prepared to offer O'Reilly $3.5m for 2 years, then it's not a certainty that the Avs would match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
I don't even know why i'm responding to this troll, but whatever.

What's your view on Subban and no offer sheets then? And him being paid $2.8 mil/yr? Did every GM think he wasn't worth more than that? Do you consider him a #4 defenseman because thats what hes getting paid at?
Yes, I do. Subban's got a massive ego that needs a reality check. Teams aren't going to pay him the big bucks because they can reasonably predict what it will do to his game. He's also got a horrible reputation as a me-first player, so it probably wasn't in his best interest to sign an offer sheet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
And the Habs offered Subban 2.9M, does it mean he's not a top pairing defenseman? It's called using your leverage, look it up.
It means that nobody wanted to pay him as a top pairing defenceman, justifyably so. We all saw what happened to Phaneuf's game when he got the big contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanchild View Post
They will have an issue when the avs match and they artificially inflated the price of contracts pissing off other GMs. Not to mention opening themselves to predatory offersheets as a form of revenge when there young players come up for contract.

Using your logic Doughty, Stamkos where not worth what they wanted or there teams didn't believe in them while they where RFA? Other teams didn't want them either? Then suddenly they sign a contract and there teams paid more than others where willing? If not why didn't hey sign offersheets?
No artificial inflation involved... simply fair market value for a player. If O'Reilly is worth $4m to a team, he should be paid that if he desires to be.

Last edited by seanlinden: 02-01-2013 at 06:44 AM.
seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 07:07 AM
The Angry Teatowel
@AngryTeatowel

Quote:
No artificial inflation involved... simply fair market value for a player. If O'Reilly is worth $4m to a team, he should be paid that if he desires to be.
Yes, O'Reilly is worth $4m per but he is not currently worth $5m per for 5 seasons (his demands apparently and his agent all but confirmed this.) The Avs are doing the right thing here both with regards to their own salaries and the entire league's. How is $5m per "fair market value" for O'Reilly based on what he has accomplished so far? Patrice Bergeron he is not.

The Angry Teatowel is offline   Reply With Quote