HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Best way to regain fan trust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-06-2013, 11:56 PM
  #51
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey
 
mouser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: South Mountain
Posts: 11,876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
I don't deny for one second that Bettman has done his job and has "grown" the value of the game, but that's not the issue. The issue is he is the face of the game, and everyone is sick of seeing his face. Right or wrong, if you replace Bettman ( maybe keep Bettman in the back room so he still is involved but get him out of the public eye ) you eliminate a major reason people have for being pissed off.
Does that translate into any meaningful outcome though?

Are there really that many pissed off fans that aren't spending money on hockey now but would increase their spending if Bettman was removed?

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:02 AM
  #52
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,516
vCash: 500
Firing Bettman could go a long way in the future. Right now, Bettman has presided over three lockouts. Firing Bettman would be an acceptable, three lockouts is enough and we are going into the next CBA with a fresh group of people that bring in different ideas and different tactics.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:59 AM
  #53
AlexanderTheGood
Registered User
 
AlexanderTheGood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 682
vCash: 500
The NHL and NHLPA should mail all their fans free skate-laces.

AlexanderTheGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:43 AM
  #54
madhi19
Registered User
 
madhi19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cold and Dark place!
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,260
vCash: 500
Sound like the start of the Aristocrats joke.
"See I got this act where we strap Garry Bettman and Donald Fehr to a chair on centre ice..."
Seriously the Molson at $1 on home opener at the Bell Centre should do it.


Last edited by madhi19: 01-07-2013 at 04:12 AM.
madhi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:02 AM
  #55
Master Shake
Registered User
 
Master Shake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kazakhstan
Posts: 1,765
vCash: 500
What a stupid article.

Bettman is a good commish actually. Just because so many fans have very little understanding of him and his actual job doesnt mean he should be fired. That logic is absurd.

Master Shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:13 AM
  #56
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!
 
MetalheadPenguinsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,156
vCash: 934
Launch Fehr and Bettman into the centre of the sun???

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:19 AM
  #57
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
What a stupid article.

Bettman is a good commish actually. Just because so many fans have very little understanding of him and his actual job doesnt mean he should be fired. That logic is absurd.
Three lockouts. Suspensions and disciplines are a joke. He doesn't care for the players or the game

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:09 AM
  #58
PRMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Yorba Linda, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,663
vCash: 500
They should allow us to watch any game on GameCenter for 99 cents. Strangely enough, their revenues would probably triple if they did this.

PRMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:01 AM
  #59
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 111,263
vCash: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
What a stupid article.

Bettman is a good commish actually. Just because so many fans have very little understanding of him and his actual job doesnt mean he should be fired. That logic is absurd.
Yeah, the Southern Experiment seems to be working out well.


The NHL can and should want to do better than Bettman. The league has made money, but the thing he does best is go to war with his own people. What a healthy league. They see themselves as one of the 4 major sports, but revenues say otherwise.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:07 AM
  #60
cbcwpg
Registered User
 
cbcwpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Between the Pipes
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
What a stupid article.

Bettman is a good commish actually. Just because so many fans have very little understanding of him and his actual job doesnt mean he should be fired. That logic is absurd.
It's not just the fans. When the majority of the fans, every employee of the league ( the players ), and now that the CBA is done... I'm sure a few owners as well... all hate Bettman, it just might be time for a change at the top for no other reason than to just change the face of the league.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:12 AM
  #61
MISC*
Negged.
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,691
vCash: 500
Do they really need to make up anything to the fan that sits at home and spend no money on the product?

No. They need to make it up to the bread and butter. Ticket buyers/STH. Free jersey for STH would be a damn good start. Maybe 25% of food and beer the first few games.

In all likely hood they'll just raise ticket prices and not even acknowledge the fans.

MISC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:25 AM
  #62
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 26,341
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISC View Post
Do they really need to make up anything to the fan that sits at home and spend no money on the product?

No. They need to make it up to the bread and butter. Ticket buyers/STH. Free jersey for STH would be a damn good start. Maybe 25% of food and beer the first few games.

In all likely hood they'll just raise ticket prices and not even acknowledge the fans.
This, all of it.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:36 AM
  #63
MISC*
Negged.
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
This, all of it.
I have friend and friends of friends who have been *****ing'How are they going to make it up to us?'.

You spend no money on the game. You buy no merch. You don'tgo to any games. You sit at home and watchgames of Sopcast. The NHL doesn't need to do anything for you.

Same goes for posters of this forum that are so angry. if you don't spend money you are largely irrelevant to the NHL.

Take care of the people who support the product.

MISC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:42 AM
  #64
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 26,341
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISC View Post
I have friend and friends of friends who have been *****ing'How are they going to make it up to us?'.

You spend no money on the game. You buy no merch. You don'tgo to any games. You sit at home and watchgames of Sopcast. The NHL doesn't need to do anything for you.

Same goes for posters of this forum that are so angry. if you don't spend money you are largely irrelevant to the NHL.

Take care of the people who support the product.
Absolutely, if you don't go to games, they didn't care about your feelings anyway. And like you said, those of us that do, they most likely don't give a **** about either, but if they did, like you said, free jersey for each STH, and for everyone that goes to the games, 25% off drinks/snacks. You cover every paying customer appropriately.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:24 AM
  #65
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga
 
thinkwild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,295
vCash: 500
They are already pretty worried about HRR dropping and have a fixed floor and cap to meet for the next couple of years. I wouldnt figure they will willingly take hits to HRR just as a tail between the legs last minute apology gift to the fans that were already coming back. Perhaps if it will increase ticket sales then marketing will do that promotion, but not out of guilt.

After all we've seen how the owners think. They've shown they will doubt the fans leverage to hold out, so why should they make any concessions. Even a bone to fans like sending out an ambassador to present the Cup to avoid the booing i wouldnt expect.

As Bettman said in that amusing December breakdown press conference: Trust? I dont even know what that word means here? Its just business and hardball negotiating. I dont expect the leopards spots to change here.

thinkwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:21 AM
  #66
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward
 
Do Make Say Think's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18,122
vCash: 500
THe only way I can go back to the NHL right now (I will be back eventually) would be to void every single contract and get an entire new crop of players.
I have lost all respect for the players, I tried watching the Spengler cup final and could not give a damn. I did not agree with them in 2004 but I could see and appreciate what they were fighting for; I will not cheer on a bunch of idiots who let themselves be strung around by a union that fights for a small minority of players, lies on live national TV and do everything they can to inflict the maximum amount of pain on the other side due to not being able to understand simple economics.

I am a principled man, but that does not mean that all principles are equal. The notion that the union had to hurt the NHL has much as possible to make a point is beyond ridiculous, it's like beating someone up to make a point: I will never stand behind anyone who supports this.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:26 AM
  #67
DyerMaker66
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,931
vCash: 500
Who knew season ticket holders were an entitled bunch?

DyerMaker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:28 AM
  #68
DyerMaker66
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
THe only way I can go back to the NHL right now (I will be back eventually) would be to void every single contract and get an entire new crop of players.
I have lost all respect for the players, I tried watching the Spengler cup final and could not give a damn. I did not agree with them in 2004 but I could see and appreciate what they were fighting for; I will not cheer on a bunch of idiots who let themselves be strung around by a union that fights for a small minority of players, lies on live national TV and do everything they can to inflict the maximum amount of pain on the other side due to not being able to understand simple economics.

I am a principled man, but that does not mean that all principles are equal. The notion that the union had to hurt the NHL has much as possible to make a point is beyond ridiculous, it's like beating someone up to make a point: I will never stand behind anyone who supports this.
Then why do you stand behind the NHL: A league that took 10 minutes to hear a counter-proposal and then left?

DyerMaker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:36 AM
  #69
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 26,341
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
Who knew season ticket holders were an entitled bunch?
Season Ticket Holders have a right to be entitled because they are. People that buy tickets to the games are too, albeit less so. People that sit on their ass at home and keep going on and on about how they deserve center ice are the ones that are complaining the most and deserve the least. Money talks, b.s. walks.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:42 AM
  #70
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!
 
IceAce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 3,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Season Ticket Holders have a right to be entitled because they are. People that buy tickets to the games are too, albeit less so. People that sit on their ass at home and keep going on and on about how they deserve center ice are the ones that are complaining the most and deserve the least. Money talks, b.s. walks.
Yeah not like the NHL makes any money whatsoever on local/national TV contracts or from the companies who advertise during the games. No siree.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:45 AM
  #71
FormerRedwingFan
Sarcastic User Name
 
FormerRedwingFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: MI
Posts: 1,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderTheGood View Post
The NHL and NHLPA should mail all their fans free skate-laces.
Haha I was thinking a free hotdog at the game but skate laces sounds good

FormerRedwingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:47 AM
  #72
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 26,341
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
Yeah not like the NHL makes any money whatsoever on local/national TV contracts or from the companies who advertise during the games. No siree.
I fail to see your point. The people going to the games are watching on TV too, perhaps even more because they are invested. IF and it's a big IF, the NHL wants to compensate its fans, it needs to look first and the people with the greatest devotion to the game, the people paying the most. Then trickle down from there, and if there is something left for the couch potato at the end, sure, grease him too.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:49 AM
  #73
pepty
Registered User
 
pepty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
What a stupid article.

Bettman is a good commish actually. Just because so many fans have very little understanding of him and his actual job doesnt mean he should be fired. That logic is absurd.
The article is stupid-and it is by Jeff Blair (the two go together)who would bear Donald Fehrs child were it possible. He was on Sportsnet when some of the usual gang were parked out on a NYC street., He said that he didn't want the lockout to end, he wanted it to continue until Bettman lost his job.Hey, he's not a hockey guy anyway.

He also said he would lead the parade if a bunch of teams went under. When told that the players would lose jobs and money he said-I don't care," its not my money."

He thinks Fehr is gong to leave anyway-though according to Bruce Garrioch this morning, Fehr is going to be around for awhile.-but Blair has written the most embarrassingly sycophantic articles about Fehr ; his name is just thrown in there so that he can rip at Bettman and Daly.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:51 AM
  #74
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,725
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
The diehards will be back.

The passionate fan will be back.

The middle of the road will come back too.

The lower end fan may be pissed, but will return eventually.

The fan that starting gaining interest and then this circus started could be lost forever, but ultimately some may come back.


Be honest. Show the fans that we matter. Maybe additional team community gatherings, signings and such, especially this summer, giveaways, i.e. jersey's, hats, sticks, basic t-shirts won't cut it.
I'm diehard but I'll watch all the games on TV now. I'm not giving the league another dime by attending games. Maybe here and there by attending a playoff game once every few years but I used to drive from Ottawa to Montreal to go 5-6 times a year. I don't see myself being into it really anymore. That's done.

The sport will be for the kids to enjoy now.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:57 AM
  #75
DyerMaker66
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I fail to see your point. The people going to the games are watching on TV too, perhaps even more because they are invested. IF and it's a big IF, the NHL wants to compensate its fans, it needs to look first and the people with the greatest devotion to the game, the people paying the most. Then trickle down from there, and if there is something left for the couch potato at the end, sure, grease him too.
How are people at the games watching said games on TV?

DyerMaker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.