HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Best way to regain fan trust

Old
01-08-2013, 03:51 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBruin View Post
The NHL doesn't need to regain the fan's trust because they'll be running back the moment the puck is dropped.
Yes, but people go to monster truck shows, too. What will it take for the NHL to be considered a serious sport again?

I would say get thru the next cba expiration without a single game lost. IOW, it will take over a decade.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:51 PM
sandysan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatOnContact View Post
Simple solution:

"get NHL Center Ice for free" applies to those who call in and subscribe/add it to their cable/sat package. No charge to the account adding it. Rather, the charge goes to the NHL. Then they can split if 50/50 with the NHLPA or whatever.

this whole 'not owned by the NHL but by another company and cable company' crap is just a lame excuse.
You have two possibilities, the NHL cuts in demand a check for the distribution of content it owns the rights to, or the NHL offers free ( or reduced cost) gamecenter live and cuts no one a check. Now factor into this the increase in the number of people who will take the NHL up on their offer simply because its free ( people who would have not have bought it at full price), plus you would have to negotiate it with tons of cable companies, I dont know if in demand does it for rogers or the canadian cable companies or not.

Im fine with either, but I dont think that either will happen and if one does its far likelier to be GCL than CI.

sandysan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:22 PM
Mr Leth

vCash: 500
Ask not what the NHL can do for you, ask what you can do for the NHL!
And with that said, fans should be paying more for the tickets now, just think of all the money the players and owners have lost so far!

On a more serious note, people that continuously have been whining about the lack of hockey should become the subjects of moocher love...
Hockey has been played everywhere!
The only thing that's been missing is the NHL games, or should we say the NHL business.

Mr Leth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:44 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
THe only way I can go back to the NHL right now (I will be back eventually) would be to void every single contract and get an entire new crop of players.
I have lost all respect for the players, I tried watching the Spengler cup final and could not give a damn. I did not agree with them in 2004 but I could see and appreciate what they were fighting for; I will not cheer on a bunch of idiots who let themselves be strung around by a union that fights for a small minority of players, lies on live national TV and do everything they can to inflict the maximum amount of pain on the other side due to not being able to understand simple economics.

I am a principled man, but that does not mean that all principles are equal. The notion that the union had to hurt the NHL has much as possible to make a point is beyond ridiculous, it's like beating someone up to make a point: I will never stand behind anyone who supports this.
and the is basically what was going on. they felt they had to make the league hurt to deter them in the future. i don't know if it will work.

i see the remaining crop of veteren players from the pre-05 lockout as a bad bunch (players that have been in the league 10 years). they came from the glutonous years when there weren't any limitations. they still think things should be like before. once that bunch is out of the picture, my hope is this 'fight for every cent', 'we gave too much last time' and 'we'd rather die than lose to Bettman' attitude will subside.

of course, replacing bettman (with a hockeyman like the newly available Burke) is must aswell.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 03:56 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

vCash: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Launch Fehr and Bettman into the centre of the sun???
The gravitational force of both their egos is going to suck the sun right in and create a black hole... no one wants that

I agree with the article in the OP, it would be the best way to get a lot of fans back in. I'm in my 30's and I've had to deal with all 3 lockouts... I don't wanna see his grinning monkey face ever again.

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote