HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How should the Jets handle Scheifele?

View Poll Results: How should be handle Scheifele?
Keep him down in Barrie, no camp 17 9.94%
Bring him to camp and a few games to gain experience, but send him back down regardless of results 66 38.60%
Bring him to camp and a few games, keep him if he performs 81 47.37%
He should stay up no matter what, he's NHL ready and we need him 7 4.09%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 03:42 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

vCash: 500
Going to camp
@FPTimCampbell: Confirmed, you will see 19yo Mark Scheifele at #NHLJets camp whenever it starts.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:42 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
A problem is that Scheifele pretty much needs to play a top 6 role, as he is that kind of player. And he isn't capable of playing wing, as IMO the WJC proved. So he needs to beat out Jokinen an Little for a top 2 center spot. IMO, there is no way that he can do that the entire season, so we might aswell send him down.
Well I think Little would play RW, as he did with Kovy.

Last edited by wpgsilver: 01-06-2013 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Moron
Old
01-06-2013, 03:44 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
Well I think Little would play RW, as he did in Jersey.
Huh? That's an idea, but I still think that as long as Little is our best or second best center, he should stay in that position instead of giving it to Scheifele.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:46 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Huh? That's an idea, but I still think that as long as Little is our best or second best center, he should stay in that position instead of giving it to Scheifele.
Whoops. Sorry meant to say with Kovy

Old
01-06-2013, 03:46 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Little can play RW on a line
Problem is Scheifele isn't likely ready for tough minutes...

We'll probably have:
A tough minute offensive line (last year was LLW)
A sheltered soft minutes offensive line (last year was Kane's line)
A shutdown tough minutes line (last year was GST)
A utility line (last year was Stapleton's line)

Ladd, Little, Ponikarovsky are best on toughs
Antro, Burmi, Wheeler are well suited for both toughs and softs
Kane, Jokinen, Wellwood, Miettinen, Slater, Thorburn, Machacek, Scheifele are better on soft minutes

Old
01-06-2013, 03:49 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Quote:
Whoops. Sorry meant to say with Kovy
Ah, just confused me, that's all! He didn't play much with Kovy though, he played with White and Kozlov. Unless I'm mistaken.

Edit: garret is pretty much saying everything I have to say on this subject with better words. We have better players suited for the role he would play.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:56 PM
Scheifele55

I would leave Scheifle in Barrie for another year. In 2014 I would put him on a skilled line as he is continuing to improve.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:58 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Ah, just confused me, that's all! He didn't play much with Kovy though, he played with White and Kozlov. Unless I'm mistaken.

Edit: garret is pretty much saying everything I have to say on this subject with better words. We have better players suited for the role he would play.
He played a season on Kovys line and netted 30 I believe.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:59 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:

TODD WHITE 795:00
VYACHESLAV KOZLOV 491:28
ILYA KOVALCHUK 391:10

guys Little spent the most time with in 08-09 season

Old
01-06-2013, 04:00 PM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

vCash: 0
Quote:

yup.

Little White Russian line and they really did well for a long time

Old
01-06-2013, 04:15 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
He played a season on Kovys line and netted 30 I believe.
His shooting percentage took a huge jump to 18.0% that year...
His shots on goal/game were about the same as they are now...

I'm pro-moving Little to wing because he will overall improve the Jets overall as his skill sets work best there... but I doubt Little to jump substantially above 25 goals there... but C is more important than wing to me so I'd rather keep him there and move him over when we upgrade him

Old
01-06-2013, 04:23 PM
videofarmer
thirsty

Absolutely, bring him to camp and let him try to earn a spot. Give him 9 games, but unless he earns it 100% without a doubt (which I don't think he will), send him back. I've already spent over a decade watching players that are rushed to the NHL.

Old
01-06-2013, 04:24 PM
ATLhockey437

Why rush his development when due to shortened season, much more is on the line therefore more of a physical playoff game like flow to it? There's no need to rush. He was just playing against teenagers on a "dream team" that couldnt even medal. So how is it going to benefit him playing against grown men a week later?

Let him stay in Barrie.

Old
01-06-2013, 04:42 PM
Duir
Registered Bunk

Think he is ready for the next challenge in his young career. If he makes a decent impression in camp then keep him up in the bigs; room him with a mentor and pair him with line mates that can offset any areas that need working on (which he will work to do as well). The kid is going to be a first liner so carve a manageable path for him to succeed.

Old
01-06-2013, 04:53 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLhockey437 View Post
Why rush his development when due to shortened season, much more is on the line therefore more of a physical playoff game like flow to it? There's no need to rush. He was just playing against teenagers on a "dream team" that couldnt even medal. So how is it going to benefit him playing against grown men a week later?

Let him stay in Barrie.
He was also playing out of position so I'm guessing the Jets will assign a near zero impact to his play at the WJC (given that it was a short sample of games in a position that he doesn't play) relative to his opportunity to stick with the big club. The fact of the matter is that he has been outstanding in junior this year; I often heard commentators remark (and especially when listening to the radio feeds of Barrie's opposition) of how his talent stood above everyone else on the ice and how he really could just as easily be playing in the NHL right now. I agree with that assessment and watched him play quite often this season online.

Much of the concerns about his skating and balance is overblown in my view and has seemingly been driven by his play while out of position at the WJC on wing. Playing wing requires more stopping and starting and in different skating lanes than he is used to at that, and the defensive responsibilities differ as well; his balance and skating conversely was just a minor concern when playing down the middle in Barrie. He looks great at centre and is near ready to play there in the NHL in my view. There is likely no harm to giving him the opportunity to make the big club and he deserves to stay if he proves able. It is not necessarily a case of rushing him; at a certain point a player can learn just as much from practicing with and competing against men, against professionals, as he can from playing hockey with players his own age and younger. Some people need to be pushed and will rise to that.

Old
01-06-2013, 04:56 PM
Tintin's Ghost

I would like to think the Jets depth is not so weak that Scheifele can just will his way on to the team. Scheifele is a beast against the U20 crowd but would most likely get a roster spot in Wniipeg based on depleted lineup due to injuries rather than because he is bursting at the seasm in junior hockey.

TC will be at most 10 days and may be as little as just 7 days. That's not a lot of time to establish yourself as a 19 yo rookie. I'd rather see O'Dell get the call up and see what we got with him. No one considers the Jets to be contenders this year so it's not like we need to be "all in" (I think that mentality starts next season in full force).

We bring up Scheifele now and maybe he develops to 80% of his potential. It may even be worse if he gets bounced around Noel's carousel of a roster with no fixed idea of what role he is supposed to play (see Burmi last year). He stays in Barrie, as assistant captain, top scorer in the OHL and leads Colts into a deep playoff run. I think this was a best case scenario when we drafted him two years ago. Should not deviate off course just because we can.

Also, this HF board has been and spoken of far more damager to young players who are rushed far too early. You would think that we would err on the side of too much caution if anything.

Old
01-06-2013, 04:58 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Gump: further to your point about his skating - I did not notice as much "weakness" in that part of his game while watching OHL games this year. It was definitely exacerbated by playing out of position.

While the Jets may treat it as an asset management issue, I'm fine if he plays lights out and forces the issue - if he sticks, he sticks. He's got the IQ, hands/talent, and the will to do it.

In any event, it's going to be fun to watch him make the most of another shot!

Old
01-06-2013, 04:58 PM
Le Golie

Without reading this thread, I hope the sentiment here is that it isn't about how the Jets handle him, it's how he handles himself. If he earns a spot on the team, he deserves to be on it. Personally, I don't think he is ready, but if he proves me wrong he deserves what he has worked for and earned.

Short season/ELC is irrelevant. Sixty per cent of the games will be played plus an entire post season. By April hardly anyone will even remember it was shortened.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:00 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Gump: further to your point about his skating - I did not notice as much "weakness" in that part of his game while watching OHL games this year. It was definitely exacerbated by playing out of position.

While the Jets may treat it as an asset management issue, I'm fine if he plays lights out and forces the issue - if he sticks, he sticks. He's got the IQ, hands/talent, and the will to do it.

In any event, it's going to be fun to watch him make the most of another shot!
I totally agree, 100%.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:58 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Where is the "trade him because he isn't a consistent NHLer" option. I mean, some people are there wiyh Burmi. :p

Old
01-06-2013, 06:10 PM
truck
HFB Partner

I don't care what they do with him. It isn't my decision to make and I believe they will do what's best.

My best guess about what will happen:
Scheifele gets a look, but doesn't stick. I think he is close, but some more mass and a bit more work on his skating s will serve him well.

On that note, I wonder where he will top out size wise. He is a skinny kid and he is struggling to stay in the 190s. If he can beef up and top 200 with good weight, it will help him as he graduate s to the NHL.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:12 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

How should the Jets handle Scheifele?
With tender love and care
*pervy old man voice*

Old
01-06-2013, 06:12 PM
allan5oh
#moneypushups

vCash: 50
Interesting how we're basically split 50/50 between keeping him for a year and sending him down/keeping him down.

I'm also pleased nobody took the fourth option.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:34 PM
angrymnky

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
And then two votes show up.

Too many votes for not even bringing him to camp for me. Wondering if a shortened season would be a good way for a rookie to break into the league, or would it not really matter.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:39 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Interesting how we're basically split 50/50 between keeping him for a year and sending him down/keeping him down.

I may have done one just in spite

sorry goofy mood

Closed Thread