HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

How should the Jets handle Scheifele?

View Poll Results: How should be handle Scheifele?
Keep him down in Barrie, no camp 17 9.94%
Bring him to camp and a few games to gain experience, but send him back down regardless of results 66 38.60%
Bring him to camp and a few games, keep him if he performs 81 47.37%
He should stay up no matter what, he's NHL ready and we need him 7 4.09%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2013, 06:00 PM
Hawker14

vCash: 500
Bring him to camp for a look, but I still don't think he's ready for the NHL.

I wouldn't even be surprised (or against) him spending next season with St. John's.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:13 AM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
FWIW it sounds like the folks in Barrie don't expect him back.

Old
01-11-2013, 06:02 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
FWIW it sounds like the folks in Barrie don't expect him back.
Wonder if that is based on more than their gut feeling, or them preparing for the worst for Barrie type thing?

Old
01-11-2013, 06:45 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Wonder if that is based on more than their gut feeling, or them preparing for the worst for Barrie type thing?
Maybe a bit of both.

Old
01-11-2013, 08:08 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsun260Z View Post
I fully expect a team to make a pick in the 7th spot that can play in the top 9 and if not they're not doing their job well and I think I am being very generous there. If I am so wrong how did Philly do it with Giroux (22nd) and Vancouver with Kesler (23rd)? You should be able to wrangle a pretty darned good player with the 7th overall pick. See Jeff Skinner. And AGAIN, if Scheifele turns into a great #2...awesome. I can see a lot of Kesler's "big" game in him and I love his nose for the net.

Also, perhaps it's the Wings staff being a tad modest?...just saying. I mean what are they supposed to say? "We knew it all along"?

I think making good picks comes down to your scouting staff. A GM can't possibly know everything about everyone...he must trust his hired team of eyes. In Scheifele's case, as we all know, Chevy trusted Hawerchuk. In Edler's case it was Thomas Gradin, former Vancouver Canuck. Both ex players were trusted by their respective ex teams management. Point is, I don't always believe in luck as much as I might confess to believing in gut feelings, hunches or...what you see right in front of you. I just don't buy this luck thing. I mean fate...okay. Luc Bourdon, God rest his soul, had a fate no one could imagine but he was drafted on what was right in front of Vancouver's eyes. No luck there man. None.

And I don't believe I said I expect Scheifele to be a top 5 center over all in the league did I? I said the opposite. I mentioned those players to drive home a point that I believe is clearly missed here. He isn't that good, thus, he isn't a top line center on a top end team. That is all. Then people here start talking about 50 to 60 points being good enough for 24th best and I shake my head. Who in the name of good hockey sense wants our number one center to be good for 24th overall? I just think people need to be realistic where this kids overall development is concerned. Excuse me however people I speak about hockey with in Wpg don't really seem to get the big picture and honestly I think that's due in part to Winnipeg actually knowing what a really good hockey team looks like. I had people in this city tell me last year the Kyle Wellwood was a worthless signing and a waste of a roster spot...how'd that turn out?

Winnipeg fans seem to have this blind faith that this kid is the shebang and I don't. I question a lot about him and even more now that this years w.jr is over. For a kid who was on the top line with one of the games most gifted players in RNH they still managed only 4th place...just sayin. Generally the Canadian Jr. team should go the way of it's top line no? He simply wasn't good enough to really feed off an incredible player like RNH...That concerns me. AND then he tossed out a knee in the loss to the Americans....was that the first window into his true character? I hope not cause if he pulls a move like that in the show someone's gonna kill him and it will be hard for his teammates to stand behind that sort of play.

Z
I don't think we actually disagree on much here. Just that picking players who are the exception rather thent he norm (late picked stars) doesn't happen with a whole lot of conistancy, and though it would be nice, all of the teams that have had success with these players, have also picked 20X the amount of busts in these slots. Its easy to get excited and point to Giroux and Edler, but what about the hundreds of players selected by thsoe teams that don't pan out?

Mostly i think i'm just getting my back up due to the bolded. It's unfortunate you've had this experience elsewhere in the city, but through the posts in this thread, and message board in general, i don't see this blind faith in schiefele being a star as widespread as you infer. Obviously some are excited, but i think most have a relatively realistic expectation of the kid (tops out as a low end 1c to high end 2c) and understand that he isn't very likley to be the sort of player that drags your team kicking and screaming into a Stanley cup final.

Old
01-11-2013, 08:25 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
I don't think we actually disagree on much here. Just that picking players who are the exception rather thent he norm (late picked stars) doesn't happen with a whole lot of conistancy, and though it would be nice, all of the teams that have had success with these players, have also picked 20X the amount of busts in these slots. Its easy to get excited and point to Giroux and Edler, but what about the hundreds of players selected by thsoe teams that don't pan out?

Mostly i think i'm just getting my back up due to the bolded. It's unfortunate you've had this experience elsewhere in the city, but through the posts in this thread, and message board in general, i don't see this blind faith in schiefele being a star as widespread as you infer. Obviously some are excited, but i think most have a relatively realistic expectation of the kid (tops out as a low end 1c to high end 2c) and understand that he isn't very likley to be the sort of player that drags your team kicking and screaming into a Stanley cup final.
Good post Grind.

There's a difference between following a prospect's career, hoping that they pan out by meeting their draft expectations, and ascribing overblown expectations to their upside.

To me, even the most strident Scheifele supporter has questions about his ultimate potential, and has concerns about things like his skating. I questioned the pick originally. Now that he is our pick, IMHO there's no point in being concerned about what could have been. It's now time to hope that the organization does everything in their power to ensure that he (and all the other prospects) are given every opportunity and all the tools possible in order to succeed.

I'm having trouble seeing what positives can come of being so vehemently against a prospect. Sport is "fun" for me - I have enough negativety to deal with in everyday life / work, that I try not to let it spill into hobbies and interests that should be fun. To each their own though - we all have different reasons for watching and enjoying the game of hockey.

I hope he destroys expectations during this TC and 5 game try-out, but if he doesn't, I'll keep watching OHL games, and hope he can make progress during the summer that leads to him making the team next year.

Old
01-11-2013, 08:53 AM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Good post Grind.

There's a difference between following a prospect's career, hoping that they pan out by meeting their draft expectations, and ascribing overblown expectations to their upside.

To me, even the most strident Scheifele supporter has questions about his ultimate potential, and has concerns about things like his skating. I questioned the pick originally. Now that he is our pick, IMHO there's no point in being concerned about what could have been. It's now time to hope that the organization does everything in their power to ensure that he (and all the other prospects) are given every opportunity and all the tools possible in order to succeed.

I'm having trouble seeing what positives can come of being so vehemently against a prospect. Sport is "fun" for me - I have enough negativety to deal with in everyday life / work, that I try not to let it spill into hobbies and interests that should be fun. To each their own though - we all have different reasons for watching and enjoying the game of hockey.

I hope he destroys expectations during this TC and 5 game try-out, but if he doesn't, I'll keep watching OHL games, and hope he can make progress during the summer that leads to him making the team next year.
Well said, I'm not sure why people are so critical about him right now. Its only been 1.5 years since he was drafted and hr has taken massive strides forward in that short amount of time. Is he a finished product? Absolutely not, but the strides he's made should make Jets fans excited. If he makes the team great, but if he still needs more time in junior/AHL then that's fine aswell. In my opinion the Jets drafted him as a 3-4 year project, the fact that he is knocking on the door 1.5 years after being drafted is a huge testament to Mark and the strides he's taken.

Old
01-11-2013, 09:28 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

At this point, it's up to Mark Scheifele to handle Mark Scheifele. If he earns it, he should be here.

01-11-2013, 09:29 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
My own view is that Scheifele should be on the team if he earns it. I find it very frustrating though to read people's claims that the Jets should have drafted Couturier, or that Scheifele's level of play will not justify his draft position, or that it was a wasted draft pick, or that his ceiling is #2/#3 C, etc; the problem with all of these claims is that they ring hollow, they are being made in the absence of information.

Scheifele's worth/value to the Jets won't be determined by the next 5 games, nor upon the completion of a full rookie season, but rather, should conversely be based upon the body of his work over his first several years of play in the league. Don't claim someone to be a poor pick or player until we've had the opportunity to judge that via an actual relative sample size of his play in the NHL that is long enough to make such a determination. Until then such claims amount to nothing more than idle speculation and are unfair to the player as such.

Old
01-11-2013, 09:36 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
My own view is that Scheifele should be on the team if he earns it. I find it very frustrating though to read people's claims that the Jets should have drafted Couturier, or that Scheifele's level of play will not justify his draft position, or that it was a wasted draft pick, or that his ceiling is #2/#3 C, etc; the problem with all of these claims is that they ring hollow, they are being made in the absence of information.

Scheifele's worth/value to the Jets won't be determined by the next 5 games, nor upon the completion of a full rookie season, but rather, should conversely be based upon the body of his work over his first several years of play in the league. Don't claim someone to be a poor pick or player until we've had the opportunity to judge that via an actual relative sample size of his play in the NHL that is long enough to make such a determination. Until then such claims amount to nothing more than idle speculation and are unfair to the player as such.
Here here Gumper!

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
Old
01-11-2013, 09:53 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
Well said, I'm not sure why people are so critical about him right now. Its only been 1.5 years since he was drafted and hr has taken massive strides forward in that short amount of time. Is he a finished product? Absolutely not, but the strides he's made should make Jets fans excited. If he makes the team great, but if he still needs more time in junior/AHL then that's fine aswell. In my opinion the Jets drafted him as a 3-4 year project, the fact that he is knocking on the door 1.5 years after being drafted is a huge testament to Mark and the strides he's taken.
Exactly. Not every prospect jumps straight from junior to the 1st line of their NHL club.

Looking at a guy like Patrick Sharp for example, he spent three seasons between 02/03 and 04/05 (lockout season) splitting time between the Flyers and their AHL affiliate. He only became a full time NHLer in the 05/06 season and then really broke out and became a solid player the following season in 06/07 which was 5 full years from when he was drafted.

I'm pretty sure we'd all be pretty pumped if Scheifele could turn into a Patrick Sharp type of player. Hopefully we and the JETS organization can be more patient than the Flyers were. Seeing that Scheifele was a high pick and has already made huge strides, there's a good chance he is more of a 3-4 year project and not a 5 year project.

Last edited by Jet: 01-11-2013 at 11:05 AM. Reason: fixed tags
Old
01-11-2013, 10:01 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post

I agree.

The Jets obviously thought Scheifele was a better long term prospect than Couturier. Whether or not they are right is yet to be determined. All we can do is wait and see. No player is complete at 19 the people that expect Scheifele to be complete are silly.

If he continues to improve his skating and adds 15-20 pounds his big man centre game will translate well. We have seen many big centres with great vision succeed in the NHL.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:06 AM
mondo3

vCash: 571
We have an example of what happens when you rush a player into the NHL without maximizing his development time with Burmi. I'd like to see this mistake avoided

Old
01-11-2013, 11:10 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo3 View Post
We have an example of what happens when you rush a player into the NHL without maximizing his development time with Burmi. I'd like to see this mistake avoided
Burmistrov played in the NHL immediately following his draft. Scheifele conversely has spent an additional 1 1/2 seasons in the OHL since his draft, has played in two international tournaments (WJC) and in another international competition over the summer (Subway Super Series), and spent the postseason with the IceCaps last year. Those are not analogous comparisons. Scheifele has seen a wealth of additional development - comparatively speaking.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:21 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo3 View Post
We don't really know that Burmi has been screwed up by being rushed. We don't know that he has been screwed up period.

IMO he is developing at a decent rate at least defensively. Offence may come.

For all we know he could put up something like a prorated 45 points this year. It will depend on usage and ice time.

Old
01-11-2013, 04:31 PM
Datsun260Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Scheifele is a better hockey player today than Postma is. His potential is also quite a bit higher
What? One is a center one is a a blue liner. They're groomed for two entirely different responsibilities. You bet Scheifele is better than Postma, at playing center! He'd better be...

Saying a foward is better than a d man is akin to saying Byfuglien is better than Pavloc.

And I need to see Postma skate a few more times before I really could dive into his game but from what little I saw I saw huge huge potential.

Z

Old
01-11-2013, 04:35 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
What? One is a center one is a a blue liner. They're groomed for two entirely different responsibilities. You bet Scheifele is better than Postma, at playing center! He'd better be...

Saying a foward is better than a d man is akin to saying Byfuglien is better than Pavloc.

And I need to see Postma skate a few more times before I really could dive into his game but from what little I saw I saw huge huge potential.

Z
I wouldn't be blown away if Scheifele was actually better at defense than Postma. Postma wins out at playing the point on powerplay though.

Old
01-11-2013, 04:36 PM
TroubaFan1

Quote:

Z
Lets not forget Postma scored the first goal in Jets history.

Old
01-11-2013, 04:57 PM
Datsun260Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post

True true, very true. Same goes for the before mentioned Perry, how does a guy like that slip to 28??? I hear you loud and clear.

Look, I am sorry you don't like what I have to say about hockey talk in Winnipeg but truth is, someone in THIS thread tells me Scheifele is better than Postma...well do I need to say more man? sorry that offends but the truth hurts in this case. Last year I sit myself down at the MTS and I have people all around me saying the most inane comments a person could hear at a hockey game; eg. Player dumps puck deep at the red line and guy behind me screeches "why'd he give the puck away!" - cause its a line change bro.... Even that illegal curve show on 1290...the kid says the other day, "winnipeg always supported it's team...ALWAYS, the Jets didn't leave because they were not supported" This is radio in Winnipeg? Hockey radio? And I'm outta line brother...I don't think I am out of line one iota. The other talking head was quick to correct, he says, "actually, that is why they left the city." It's embarrassing. So forgive me, I watch 100 game a year on average since the late 90's. I enjoyed the Canucks rise to dominance and I enjoyed them build a fairly fantastic team...up the middle. I am by no means an expert but I know a team needs their centermen to know their roles and deliver one them consistently.

And as for Scheifele being a low end #1...what good is that to a winning team? Not gonna happen, having the 24th best #1 center is pointless to a winning plan, that's part of the message I am conveying. To win you need 4 lines and those lines need to be led by the four best centers you can ice. I've seen it before when teams see a player do well in the 2 spot they think he can carry their top line...doesn't work on winners. Players who master their "role" early often have great careers. It's rare that a solid 3 spot center can be a lights out #1 like Jordan Stall. Really too bad the Jets coldn't have got in on that. That is a real nice hockey player who would have looked great leading our top line for years. I believe Truck is mentioning Getzlaf...that's solid suggestion. Get a player like that and the rest could really fall into place very nicely.

Now, I will point out one option. Surround a half decent center with two all star wingers...you might have onehellova top line akin to the west coast express. Morrison never scored 30 goals and never hit 75 points and somehow managed so....keeping in mind that throughout that lines glory they never went deep when it counted. Just a thought to share.

Old
01-11-2013, 05:00 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

I like Postma and we will need him. He wasn't ready last year and I am hoping (like Scheif) he is more physically level with the other boys. last year he was so creative and dangerous with the Jets in the preseason offensively but like Mark it seemed like when the wind switched directions he fell over.

Old
01-11-2013, 05:01 PM
Datsun260Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
We don't really know that Burmi has been screwed up by being rushed. We don't know that he has been screwed up period.

IMO he is developing at a decent rate at least defensively. Offence may come.

For all we know he could put up something like a prorated 45 points this year. It will depend on usage and ice time.
TOTALLY agree, Burmi has done a great job when you consider he scores a point in ever 3 games and managed to be a plus player on a none playoff team. That kid does things so well, so fast he's world class. Nothing screwed up about him. He needs confidence and perhaps a little protection.

Old
01-11-2013, 05:02 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Quote:
Look, I am sorry you don't like what I have to say about hockey talk in Winnipeg but truth is, someone in THIS thread tells me Scheifele is better than Postma...well do I need to say more man? sorry that offends but the truth hurts in this case.
That you would present the comments of a single poster as representative of anything other than the opinion of that individual poster conversely tells us that you are perhaps being disingenuous. Sorry if that offends...

The comments made by callers to 1290 represent the opinions of only those callers, of the few people predisposed to call a radio station and offer their views, etc. That does not speak to the general hockey IQ in this city whatsoever.

Last edited by Gump Hasek: 01-11-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old
01-11-2013, 05:07 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Look, I am sorry you don't like what I have to say about hockey talk in Winnipeg but truth is, someone in THIS thread tells me Scheifele is better than Postma...well do I need to say more man? sorry that offends but the truth hurts in this case. Last year I sit myself down at the MTS and I have people all around me saying the most inane comments a person could hear at a hockey game; eg. Player dumps puck deep at the red line and guy behind me screeches "why'd he give the puck away!" - cause its a line change bro.... Even that illegal curve show on 1290...the kid says the other day, "winnipeg always supported it's team...ALWAYS, the Jets didn't leave because they were not supported" This is radio in Winnipeg? Hockey radio? And I'm outta line brother...I don't think I am out of line one iota. The other talking head was quick to correct, he says, "actually, that is why they left the city." It's embarrassing. So forgive me, I watch 100 game a year on average since the late 90's. I enjoyed the Canucks rise to dominance and I enjoyed them build a fairly fantastic team...up the middle. I am by no means an expert but I know a team needs their centermen to know their roles and deliver one them consistently.

And as for Scheifele being a low end #1...what good is that to a winning team? Not gonna happen, having the 24th best #1 center is pointless to a winning plan, that's part of the message I am conveying. To win you need 4 lines and those lines need to be led by the four best centers you can ice. I've seen it before when teams see a player do well in the 2 spot they think he can carry their top line...doesn't work on winners. Players who master their "role" early often have great careers. It's rare that a solid 3 spot center can be a lights out #1 like Jordan Stall. Really too bad the Jets coldn't have got in on that. That is a real nice hockey player who would have looked great leading our top line for years. I believe Truck is mentioning Getzlaf...that's solid suggestion. Get a player like that and the rest could really fall into place very nicely.

Now, I will point out one option. Surround a half decent center with two all star wingers...you might have onehellova top line akin to the west coast express. Morrison never scored 30 goals and never hit 75 points and somehow managed so....keeping in mind that throughout that lines glory they never went deep when it counted. Just a thought to share.
Scheifele IS better than Postma. I would bet that you couldn't find a single GM or scout that would say otherwise. It isn't really close. Scheifele would also hold a tonne more trade value.

Postma is a PP specialist in the AHL and I really really really doubt he will ever be more than a 3rd pairing defender.

EDIT

Also worth noting:

Nobody thought Getzlaf was going to be what he is when they drafted him or afyer his last year of junior.

Old
01-11-2013, 05:18 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Quote:
I think you ought to be careful about making generalizations about Winnipeg fans and then projecting them onto this message board.

I'm not saying this to scold you, I'm not even saying that as a moderator. I'm just throwing that out there, that it's not really helping your argument on these boards. The collective level of hockey knowledge around here is pretty astounding, actually.

Quote:
And as for Scheifele being a low end #1...what good is that to a winning team? Not gonna happen, having the 24th best #1 center is pointless to a winning plan, that's part of the message I am conveying.
What if Scheifele became the equivalent of a Krejci or Bergeron? Not a phenom, but simply an extremely solid #1C who plays well at both ends of the rink.

I don't think there's any hard and fast rule that you need an elite #1 C (or better than 24th best, whatever distinction you want to use) to compete for a championship.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 01-11-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old
01-11-2013, 05:22 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:

Your right, the call in shows and random people sitting next to you clearly demonstrate that Winnipeggers have no idea about hockey. I mean look at Vancouver and Toronto, EVERY SINGLE PERSON in those cities are hockey experts. Just freaking geniuses and I wish just one of them would move to our poor burgh and fill it up with their magically hockey knowledge. Clearly your the only one who knows hockey here.

There is just so much fail in that. Yes there are people who are not familiar with the game here, JUST LIKE EVERYWHERE. Maybe you should try helping them out and educating them...The guys above me loved to rag on Antropov last year...so I pointed how freaking useful, gritty, solid defensively and whatnot he was and by the end of the year most the guys were at least ok with Antropov. But by the same token, I don't assume Antropov = hate stupid, like you seem to with Wellwood earlier...people can have completely different opinions while still knowing the game...I still don't Wellwood is a player you win with, he is a tweener, can play top 6 for poor teams, doesn't bring enough other things to play bottom 6, so he is stuck moving around, only succeeding on weak teams, something I hope the Jets can move on from very soon.

As for Postma better than Scheifele...that's just a complete facepalm of epic porportions...and I am a Postma fan, I think he be a very useful 3rd pairing PP specialist that skates the puck well, good first pass, etc...but that's like saying Jakub Kindl is better than Mikael Granlund...sounds kind of ridiculous to compare a guy that's very close to being a top 6 center to a guy who has 3rd pairing potential...

I guess Kesler is completely useless as well, since he is a low end #1 C (IMO). And that Mike Richards guy as well. What useless freaking players, they should be dealt now....point here is even if Scheifele tops out as a 55-60 point player with solid defense, that's a damn solid hockey player. There is no rule that he needs to be a #1 C! What is hard to understand about that. If he develops into one (a possibility you've completely dismissed, it's still possible), bonus, but I am completely happy with a solid 2nd line C, particularly one that would be considered a low end #1. There's more than one spot he can fit into a lineup, it's a big team.

Also, it's Staal. Two a's, one l. And he's a 55-60 point center? But he's alright centering the first line, but if Scheifele tops out at that he's completely unacceptable? What?

Closed Thread