HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MSG to have night of Sabres programming Monday

Old
10-16-2012, 02:54 PM
Taro Tsujimoto
2 Sam(my)s, 1 avatar

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Taro Tsujimoto
MSG to have night of Sabres programming Monday

MSG in the Buffalo and Rochester markets, MSG+ in all other markets.

At 7:00, they'll show the French Connection statue unveiling:

Quote:
The “Buffalo Sabres: French Connection Statue Unveiling” program was recorded during the Oct. 12 ceremony honoring the famed Sabres forward line with a statue outside of First Niagara Center. It features the night’s full proceedings, including speeches and interviews with Gilbert Perreault, Rene Robert and Cory Martin, the son of the late Rick Martin, as well as Sabres owner Terry Pegula. In addition to all the speeches and interviews, the broadcast will include special features highlighting the French Connection and the night of events surrounding the unveiling. Sabres broadcasters Brian Duff and Danny Gare serve as hosts of the program, with Rob Ray providing the interviews with the ceremony’s guests.
Then at 8:00...

Quote:
At 8 p.m., MSG will broadcast a special two-hour re-airing of the Sabres’ classic “May Day” game from the 1993 Stanley Cup Playoff series against the Boston Bruins. The game, in which Sabres forward Brad May scored the game-winning goal in overtime, clinched a series sweep of the Bruins and remains as a one of the most memorable wins in Sabres franchise history. The telecast will feature special commentary from former Sabres forward Pat LaFontaine, who played in the game and assisted May’s now-famous goal.

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|BUF|home

I'm definitely gonna tune in!

Taro Tsujimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 07:15 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

For those that are too lazy to click on the link, It's Monday Oct. 22nd.

I'll try to catch this

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 07:56 PM
mgeise

Nice! Thanks for the heads up.

mgeise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 10:33 AM
LaxSabre

vCash: 491
These two programs will be repeated on the following dates and times: Monday, October 22/Tuesday, October 23 - 10:00 pm EST-1:00 am EST - MSG. Tuesday, October 23 - 12:00 pm EST-3:00 pm EST - MSG. (This is for the Buffalo and Rochester markets only - not sure if these programs will be repeated on MSG Plus in other markets at the same day/time.)

The "May Day" game will also be repeated on Tuesday, October 23 - 10:00 am EST-12:00 pm EST on MSG. However this showing is right after the LIVE "Boomer and Carton" show and most of the time, that show tends to go past 10:00 am EST so whatever MSG is showing after is joined in progress. So if you want to record the "May Day" game and make sure that you get the whole thing, record one of the other showings instead.

LaxSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 05:18 PM
Taro Tsujimoto
2 Sam(my)s, 1 avatar

Reminder that the first airing is tonight.

Old
10-22-2012, 05:38 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

For those of us with DirecTV, we get shut out again.

SackTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 06:12 PM
Taro Tsujimoto
2 Sam(my)s, 1 avatar

Apparently the classic Sabres games will be a weekly thing- They're airing the 4 OT game against Jersey next Monday: http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|BUF|home

Old
10-22-2012, 07:06 PM
Taro Tsujimoto
2 Sam(my)s, 1 avatar

...and then they go and ruin it by using Gurtler's play by play.

Old
10-23-2012, 09:08 AM
minuteater
does not cohmpeet

I noticed that. But they did play Rick's PBP after the fact though.

minuteater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 05:38 PM
LaxSabre

This Monday, November 5 - the Sabres Classics game will be the 1999 Eastern Conference Finals - Game Four vs Toronto Maple Leafs. Rob Ray scores the winning goal in a 5-2 win to give the Sabres a 3-1 lead in the series. Rob Ray will be on hand to provide special commentary throughout the two-hour broadcast which starts at 8:00 pm ET. (Replays - Monday, November 5 - 11:00 pm ET - Tuesday, November 6 - 10:00 am ET and 1:00 pm ET.)

The night of Sabres programming begins with the re-airings of “365: Ryan Miller” at 6:30 pm ET and “Buffalo Sabres: French Connection Statue Unveiling” at 7:00 pm ET.

Viewers in the Buffalo/Rochester markets will be able to watch the programming on MSG, while viewers in the Syracuse/Binghamton/Albany markets can watch on the MSG+ channel. Direct TV viewers are shutout.

Last edited by LaxSabre: 11-02-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old
11-02-2012, 06:27 PM
MayDay

Never mind. Didn't read carefully.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 12:20 PM
Taro Tsujimoto
2 Sam(my)s, 1 avatar

Next up, the 1976 Super Series against the Soviet Wings, the only loss the Wings suffered during their visit to the US: http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|BUF|home

Old
11-11-2012, 04:41 AM
LaxSabre

I had a feeling the Sabres were going to show that Soviet Wings game eventually - especially after CBC showed the Red Army-Montreal Canadiens game from the same year during their weekly HNIC Classics program - a couple of Saturdays ago.

"Following the broadcast, exclusive interviews from Martin, Jerry Korab and Peter McNab, filmed following the 1976 game, will be available to view on Sabres.com" - Gotta drive people to your website huh? Can't put this on the actual broadcast?

Better News - according to the link - looks like local (New York state) DirecTVviewers will be able to watch these classic games.

11/19/2012 - Sabres Best of #5: Buffalo Sabres at Montreal Canadiens.
11/26/2012 - Sabres Best of #6: Buffalo Sabres at Ottawa Senators.

Wonder what the Sabres-Habs game will be? The Sabres-Senators game will probably be either Satans OT winner, Poms series OT winner or the wild 7-6 OT game with Drury scoring the winner 18 seconds into the first overtime.

Last edited by LaxSabre: 11-12-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old
11-11-2012, 11:30 AM
Taro Tsujimoto
2 Sam(my)s, 1 avatar

My best guess for Montreal would be the game on Mother's Day that Barnaby scored a hat trick in with his mother in attendance.

As for the Sens, let's not forget Plante's series OT winner ("Are you ready, Legion of Doom?") and the infamous brawl game.

Old
11-11-2012, 11:55 AM
LaxSabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taro Tsujimoto View Post
My best guess for Montreal would be the game on Mother's Day that Barnaby scored a hat trick in with his mother in attendance. As for the Sens, let's not forget Plante's series OT winner ("Are you ready, Legion of Doom?") and the infamous brawl game.
All three are good choices for Classics - in fact two of them (Barnaby and Plantes) have already been shown in previous editions of Sabres Classics. However those three games were at home though. The listing in the article has the games being played in Montreal and Ottawa so unless theres a typo those two classics will be away games.

Last edited by LaxSabre: 11-12-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old
11-12-2012, 10:21 AM
LaxSabre

According to the TV listings at TVGuide.com - the Buffalo at Montreal Game is a regular season game that was played on January 6, 1996. The game saw dueling hat tricks by both Jason Dawe of Buffalo and Pierre Turgeon of Montreal in what turned out to be a 7-6 Sabres win. Dawes' was his first NHL hat trick while Turgeons' did it against the club who drafted him with the first pick overall in the 1987 NHL Entry Draft.

According to those same TV Listings at TVGuide.com - the Buffalo at Ottawa game is Game #5 of the 2006 Eastern Conference Semifinal series. Of course thats the game where Jason Pominvilles shorthanded goal in overtime won the game 3-2 and clinched the series 4-1. (Too bad its not Game #1 - they could have showed two 7-6 games back to back.)

If you can't watch/record the first showing (8:00 pm ET-10:00 pm ET) of tonights Sabres Classic: the Sabres-Soviet Wings game from 1976 - it will be repeated on the following days/times: Tuesday, November 13 - 12:00 am ET-2:00 am ET. Tuesday, November 13 - 10:00 am ET-12:00 pm ET. Tuesday, November 13 - 4:00 pm ET-6:00 pm ET.

Note: Viewers in the Buffalo and Rochester markets will be able to watch the programming on MSG, while viewers in the Syracuse, Binghamton and Albany markets can watch on the MSG+ network. Also DirecTV viewers in New York state are now able to watch these Sabres Classics.

Last edited by LaxSabre: 11-12-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old
11-12-2012, 04:56 PM
Disengage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaxSabre View Post
According to the TV listings at TVGuide.com - the Buffalo at Montreal Game is a regular season game that was played on January 6, 1996. The game saw dueling hat tricks by both Jason Dawe of Buffalo and Pierre Turgeon of Montreal in what turned out to be a 7-6 Sabres win. Dawes' was his first NHL hat trick while Turgeons' did it against the club who drafted him with the first pick overall in the 1987 NHL Entry Draft.
Oh, you mean this one?

Disengage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 06:55 PM
Taro Tsujimoto
2 Sam(my)s, 1 avatar

That 7-6 game against the Habs was also the Sabres' last trip to the Montreal Forum: http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|BUF|home

Old
11-19-2012, 12:46 AM
rabi

Boxscore

rabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 06:25 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
DirecTV folks, this is now on channel 638

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 07:03 PM
MayDay

Quote:
MSG in the Buffalo and Rochester markets, MSG+ in all other markets
I'm tuned in to MSG+ here in the NYC area and they're showing boxing for the next few hours. No sign of Sabres anywhere.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 02:21 PM
Taro Tsujimoto
2 Sam(my)s, 1 avatar

Next Monday will be Game 5 vs. Ottawa in 2006 where Pominville scored the series-winning goal shorthanded in OT.

Old
11-22-2012, 06:47 AM
LaxSabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
I'm tuned in to MSG+ here in the NYC area and they're showing boxing for the next few hours.
No sign of Sabres anywhere.
According to this - Viewers in the Buffalo and Rochester markets will be able to watch the programming on MSG, while viewers in the Syracuse, Binghamton and Albany markets can watch on the MSG+ network - it looks like the New York City market is not considered a Sabres market thus Sabres games/classics are blacked out and you get other sports like boxing
in its place.

We here in Buffalo/Rochester get the same thing - we are not considered a Rangers/Devils or Islanders market so any current games/replays from last season are blacked out. Although every once in a while, someone forgets to switch MSG Buffalo over to say boxing and a Rangers/Devils/Islanders game is shown. (A couple of weeks ago, a replay of a Rangers-Senators game from last season was shown.)

Classic games if they are part of the "MSG Vault" series are not blacked out - although we Sabre fans wish the one - a 1978 first round game one loss vs the Rangers - was blacked out. MSG loves to show that one alot especially come playoff time. (Even though we won the series - it still hurts.) MSG Buffalo should get even and have the Drury tieing/Mad Max winner playoff game from 2007 as a Sabres Classic and force the regular MSG to show it!

Last edited by LaxSabre: 11-22-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old
11-22-2012, 07:32 AM
LaxSabre

Quote:
Next Monday will be Game 5 vs. Ottawa in 2006 where Pominville scored the series-winning goal shorthanded in OT.
Taken from the article promoting this Sabres Classic - The game will be aired in a two-hour broadcast with special commentary provided by longtime Sabres play-by-play announcer Rick Jeanneret. Jeanneret marked the Sabres’ victory in the game with his now-famous call, "Oh, now do you believe? Now do you believe? These guys are good, scary good!"

Darn lockout even ruins Sabres Classics? I wonder if they would have like Jason Pominville to be there to comment on his winning goal but because of the lockout he wasn't allowed to do so because that would be like crossing the picket line? Looks like the lockout even pertains to articles as they didn't even list him as scoring the winning goal. LOL!

That night was an up and down one for me. That was the night of the Buffalo Bandits-Colorado Mammoth NLL Championship Game here in Buffalo. As a Bandit season ticket holder, I was at the game of course. I thought for sure I would miss majority of the Sabres game as the lacrosse was scheduled for 7:30 pm ET. But ESPN2 moved the game up to 6:00 pm ET so I said cool, I'll be able listen in the car/catch the third period on TV at home. Or better yet, watch the last period at the arena while celebrating a Bandits championship win. Unfortunately the Bandits decided to have one of the worst championship appearances in Buffalo sports history and lost to the Mammoth 16-8 so I and the 18,000 plus Bandit fans were in a bad mood. After the final whistle (I stay to the bitter end no matter what and I wanted to give the guys a final cheer while they leave the floor - they had a pretty good season despite that game.) I rushed home - listen to most of the third period in the car and watch Pominville score the game winner from the couch in my living room. Man, what a huge lift that was after what started to be a bad night. Thank you Poms!

Last edited by LaxSabre: 11-29-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old
11-29-2012, 02:26 PM
Taro Tsujimoto
2 Sam(my)s, 1 avatar

Next up is Phil Housley's 5-point night against Les Nordiques, which tied the team record for most points in a single game by a defenseman: http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|BUF|home