HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Draft vs POs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-06-2013, 03:08 PM
  #1
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 23,953
vCash: 500
Draft vs POs

If I got it right, every team that misses the POs has a chance to get the #1 pick.


Now my question, should we miss the POs knowing our Coach is Q with Kitchen and Craw/Emery in net or should we try to make the POs and end - most likely - in Round 1/2 of the POs

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:13 PM
  #2
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 18,278
vCash: 772
My god is this really a thread

Expect better from you, Bubba.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:20 PM
  #3
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 23,953
vCash: 500
I just worry about the start of the season.... Q as Coach, a big road trip to start the season and a lot question marks. Getting the chance to draft Jones or MacKinnon would be great tbh. Sure, I want the POs and think we still have the chance to win the Cup this year.

I would want the POs
Just wanted some more talk about hockey, not owners or PA

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:33 PM
  #4
Sevanston
Moderator
 
Sevanston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 10,419
vCash: 500
Much as I would love to have Seth Jones here in Chicago

You play the season to win, not to acquire the best draft picks.

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:37 PM
  #5
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 101,108
vCash: 340
Win Cup

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:46 PM
  #6
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!
 
TorMenT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Rockford, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,842
vCash: 500
Sillly question. You do what you should always do as a sports team and you root what you should always root for as a fan of that team, the most competitive and highest result possible. Go for it all.

TorMenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:57 PM
  #7
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!
 
Sir Psycho T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Posts: 3,628
vCash: 500
This isn't football or basketball where 1 player or a top QB can turn your team around. Seth Jones doesn't suddenly make this team a Cup winning team, still no #2 C, still huge ? in net, still lack of physicality. Play your best and sort it out next year.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:55 PM
  #8
committedindian86
Flip The Switch
 
committedindian86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,984
vCash: 500
Why don't we ask the Leafs fans about this one?

committedindian86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:56 PM
  #9
Sarava
Moderator
 
Sarava's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 8,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
If I got it right, every team that misses the POs has a chance to get the #1 pick.


Now my question, should we miss the POs knowing our Coach is Q with Kitchen and Craw/Emery in net or should we try to make the POs and end - most likely - in Round 1/2 of the POs
Wow dude...even with Q this team can win the cup. It's nothing like the Bears who were stuck in that state of mediocrity where they weren't good enough or bad enough.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:07 PM
  #10
STC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 315
vCash: 500
It never ceases to amaze me how fans in all sports would rather half ass their way into the playoffs and get smoked in one round as opposed to sacrificing one season and getting a shot at a top level talent in the draft.

i still remember arguing with Bulls fans who were more intent on seeing the team get into the playoffs with the #8 seed as opposed to getting in the lottery and having a shot at Rose. I wonder if any of those fans are still upset the Bulls didn't get the chance to get beat by the #1 seed that year and instead got stuck wth Rose?


This season was almost cancelled as it is, I really don't see how having 3 bad months of hockey in exchange for a shot at the #1 pick is a bad choice vs watching a mediocre team try and scrape their way into the playoffs where once again the terrible goaltending and bottom 4 defensive pairings will get exposed and embarrassed.

Even if it was just a 10% chance at Seth Jones, to me that is more than worth tanking 3 months of a strike shortened season.

I like to look at the big picture and think about championships, not halfass one round playoff runs.

STC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:17 PM
  #11
Sarava
Moderator
 
Sarava's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 8,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
It never ceases to amaze me how fans in all sports would rather half ass their way into the playoffs and get smoked in one round as opposed to sacrificing one season and getting a shot at a top level talent in the draft.

i still remember arguing with Bulls fans who were more intent on seeing the team get into the playoffs with the #8 seed as opposed to getting in the lottery and having a shot at Rose. I wonder if any of those fans are still upset the Bulls didn't get the chance to get beat by the #1 seed that year and instead got stuck wth Rose?


This season was almost cancelled as it is, I really don't see how having 3 bad months of hockey in exchange for a shot at the #1 pick is a bad choice vs watching a mediocre team try and scrape their way into the playoffs where once again the terrible goaltending and bottom 4 defensive pairings will get exposed and embarrassed.

Even if it was just a 10% chance at Seth Jones, to me that is more than worth tanking 3 months of a strike shortened season.

I like to look at the big picture and think about championships, not halfass one round playoff runs.
Your argument ignores the fact that this team has a legit chance (like 10-15 other teams) of winning the cup this year.

You want to give that up to tank for a pick. When our GM keeps blowing the first rounders anyway (other than the gimme TT pick).

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:17 PM
  #12
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 18,278
vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
It never ceases to amaze me how fans in all sports would rather half ass their way into the playoffs and get smoked in one round as opposed to sacrificing one season and getting a shot at a top level talent in the draft.

i still remember arguing with Bulls fans who were more intent on seeing the team get into the playoffs with the #8 seed as opposed to getting in the lottery and having a shot at Rose. I wonder if any of those fans are still upset the Bulls didn't get the chance to get beat by the #1 seed that year and instead got stuck wth Rose?

This season was almost cancelled as it is, I really don't see how having 3 bad months of hockey in exchange for a shot at the #1 pick is a bad choice vs watching a mediocre team try and scrape their way into the playoffs where once again the terrible goaltending and bottom 4 defensive pairings will get exposed and embarrassed.

Even if it was just a 10% chance at Seth Jones, to me that is more than worth tanking 3 months of a strike shortened season.

I like to look at the big picture and think about championships, not halfass one round playoff runs.
And that's where we disagree. I don't look at the last 2 years and think "well, another 1st round exit this year". I think the Hawks are good and could damage in the POs if things go their way.

Let's not compare hockey to the NBA. In that league, everyone knows what 5 teams are going to contend for the title from day 1. We don't have that in this league.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:21 PM
  #13
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 219
Country: United States
Posts: 20,939
vCash: 1625
The Cup would be nice. I'll take that please.

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:50 PM
  #14
STC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Your argument ignores the fact that this team has a legit chance (like 10-15 other teams) of winning the cup this year.

You want to give that up to tank for a pick. When our GM keeps blowing the first rounders anyway (other than the gimme TT pick).
I'm saying if we start out like crap and it looks like the team isn't a contender. You can tell when the team is a contender and when its just a pretender. I don't think any realistic fan really thought the team last year had a real chance of doing any real damage in the playoffs.

I'm not saying to go into the season and try and tank it, but if we look like crap after the first month or so then I would be all in favor of losing as many games as possible and getting a higher pick.

STC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:11 PM
  #15
Sevanston
Moderator
 
Sevanston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 10,419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Your argument ignores the fact that this team has a legit chance (like 10-15 other teams) of winning the cup this year.

You want to give that up to tank for a pick. When our GM keeps blowing the first rounders anyway (other than the gimme TT pick).
First time I've ever seen you classify Danault as a blown first rounder.

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:12 PM
  #16
Sevanston
Moderator
 
Sevanston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 10,419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
I'm saying if we start out like crap and it looks like the team isn't a contender. You can tell when the team is a contender and when its just a pretender. I don't think any realistic fan really thought the team last year had a real chance of doing any real damage in the playoffs.

I'm not saying to go into the season and try and tank it, but if we look like crap after the first month or so then I would be all in favor of losing as many games as possible and getting a higher pick.
Giving up after the first month of this season would be about the same as giving up in early December of a regular season.

Pointless.

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:07 AM
  #17
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 23,953
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
You want to give that up to tank for a pick. When our GM keeps blowing the first rounders anyway (other than the gimme TT pick).
Kane was a gimme pick, even Toews can be seen as gimme.

When 17 others don't take you, you aren't a gimme anymore.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.