HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Draft vs POs

Old
01-06-2013, 03:08 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

vCash: 500
Draft vs POs

If I got it right, every team that misses the POs has a chance to get the #1 pick.

Now my question, should we miss the POs knowing our Coach is Q with Kitchen and Craw/Emery in net or should we try to make the POs and end - most likely - in Round 1/2 of the POs

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:13 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
My god is this really a thread

Expect better from you, Bubba.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:20 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I just worry about the start of the season.... Q as Coach, a big road trip to start the season and a lot question marks. Getting the chance to draft Jones or MacKinnon would be great tbh. Sure, I want the POs and think we still have the chance to win the Cup this year.

I would want the POs
Just wanted some more talk about hockey, not owners or PA

Old
01-06-2013, 03:33 PM
Sevanston

Much as I would love to have Seth Jones here in Chicago

You play the season to win, not to acquire the best draft picks.

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:37 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Win Cup

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:46 PM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

Sillly question. You do what you should always do as a sports team and you root what you should always root for as a fan of that team, the most competitive and highest result possible. Go for it all.

TorMenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:57 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

This isn't football or basketball where 1 player or a top QB can turn your team around. Seth Jones doesn't suddenly make this team a Cup winning team, still no #2 C, still huge ? in net, still lack of physicality. Play your best and sort it out next year.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:55 PM
committedindian86
Flip The Switch

Why don't we ask the Leafs fans about this one?

committedindian86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:56 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
If I got it right, every team that misses the POs has a chance to get the #1 pick.

Now my question, should we miss the POs knowing our Coach is Q with Kitchen and Craw/Emery in net or should we try to make the POs and end - most likely - in Round 1/2 of the POs
Wow dude...even with Q this team can win the cup. It's nothing like the Bears who were stuck in that state of mediocrity where they weren't good enough or bad enough.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:07 PM
STC

It never ceases to amaze me how fans in all sports would rather half ass their way into the playoffs and get smoked in one round as opposed to sacrificing one season and getting a shot at a top level talent in the draft.

i still remember arguing with Bulls fans who were more intent on seeing the team get into the playoffs with the #8 seed as opposed to getting in the lottery and having a shot at Rose. I wonder if any of those fans are still upset the Bulls didn't get the chance to get beat by the #1 seed that year and instead got stuck wth Rose?

This season was almost cancelled as it is, I really don't see how having 3 bad months of hockey in exchange for a shot at the #1 pick is a bad choice vs watching a mediocre team try and scrape their way into the playoffs where once again the terrible goaltending and bottom 4 defensive pairings will get exposed and embarrassed.

Even if it was just a 10% chance at Seth Jones, to me that is more than worth tanking 3 months of a strike shortened season.

I like to look at the big picture and think about championships, not halfass one round playoff runs.

STC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:17 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
It never ceases to amaze me how fans in all sports would rather half ass their way into the playoffs and get smoked in one round as opposed to sacrificing one season and getting a shot at a top level talent in the draft.

i still remember arguing with Bulls fans who were more intent on seeing the team get into the playoffs with the #8 seed as opposed to getting in the lottery and having a shot at Rose. I wonder if any of those fans are still upset the Bulls didn't get the chance to get beat by the #1 seed that year and instead got stuck wth Rose?

This season was almost cancelled as it is, I really don't see how having 3 bad months of hockey in exchange for a shot at the #1 pick is a bad choice vs watching a mediocre team try and scrape their way into the playoffs where once again the terrible goaltending and bottom 4 defensive pairings will get exposed and embarrassed.

Even if it was just a 10% chance at Seth Jones, to me that is more than worth tanking 3 months of a strike shortened season.

I like to look at the big picture and think about championships, not halfass one round playoff runs.
Your argument ignores the fact that this team has a legit chance (like 10-15 other teams) of winning the cup this year.

You want to give that up to tank for a pick. When our GM keeps blowing the first rounders anyway (other than the gimme TT pick).

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:17 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:

And that's where we disagree. I don't look at the last 2 years and think "well, another 1st round exit this year". I think the Hawks are good and could damage in the POs if things go their way.

Let's not compare hockey to the NBA. In that league, everyone knows what 5 teams are going to contend for the title from day 1. We don't have that in this league.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:21 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
The Cup would be nice. I'll take that please.

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:50 PM
STC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Your argument ignores the fact that this team has a legit chance (like 10-15 other teams) of winning the cup this year.

You want to give that up to tank for a pick. When our GM keeps blowing the first rounders anyway (other than the gimme TT pick).
I'm saying if we start out like crap and it looks like the team isn't a contender. You can tell when the team is a contender and when its just a pretender. I don't think any realistic fan really thought the team last year had a real chance of doing any real damage in the playoffs.

I'm not saying to go into the season and try and tank it, but if we look like crap after the first month or so then I would be all in favor of losing as many games as possible and getting a higher pick.

STC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:11 PM
Sevanston

Quote:

First time I've ever seen you classify Danault as a blown first rounder.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:12 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
I'm saying if we start out like crap and it looks like the team isn't a contender. You can tell when the team is a contender and when its just a pretender. I don't think any realistic fan really thought the team last year had a real chance of doing any real damage in the playoffs.

I'm not saying to go into the season and try and tank it, but if we look like crap after the first month or so then I would be all in favor of losing as many games as possible and getting a higher pick.
Giving up after the first month of this season would be about the same as giving up in early December of a regular season.

Pointless.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:07 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Kane was a gimme pick, even Toews can be seen as gimme.

When 17 others don't take you, you aren't a gimme anymore.