Notices

Thomas is d.o.n.e.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:01 PM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

vCash: 500
Still feel the same way I did before.

Great player, one of my favorites when he played. Defended him when it wasn't cool to do it. Hate the way he chose to leave and always will. Personally, I'll always remember him for being one of the best goalies I've ever seen but also as a guy who ditched on the Bruins in the final year of his contract.

Kaoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:14 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaStinger View Post
You were a hero, now your more like McSorley, good riddance.
You have to be kidding. Please.

Thanks for the Cup, Timmy and good luck!

PatriceBergeronFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:41 PM
BklyNBruiN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaStinger View Post
One was a spur of the moment stupid move, the other has been thought about for a long time and is still terrible stupid, arrogant, and ignorant to the fans and team. The level of stupidity for me applies to the amount of thought involved.

BklyNBruiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:42 PM
BklyNBruiN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Still feel the same way I did before.

Great player, one of my favorites when he played. Defended him when it wasn't cool to do it. Hate the way he chose to leave and always will. Personally, I'll always remember him for being one of the best goalies I've ever seen but also as a guy who ditched on the Bruins in the final year of his contract.
Love that avatar Kaoz. U NO NO Hipcheck lol

BklyNBruiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:16 PM
duckchobbins

I don't like it as a fan of the team, but I'm sure he's got his reasons and he certainly doesn't need to answer to me...or any of us really.

That being said, I wasn't a big fan of his childish facebook/media antics on the way out, and it really caused my mood to sour on the guy. Oh well.

Screw it. The Bruins will move on without him, time to start to focus on the guys that are showing up to play

duckchobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:28 PM
GloveSave1
Back in Black

Ill always love TT. He's a legend as far as im concerned. But this situation was never about family (I always thought that was a pathetic choice for his BS excuse). Its about taking his puck and going home while hurting Bruins management as much as possible, after Chia shopped him and to TTs disgust planned to go a different direction than extending a 38 year old goaltender.

GloveSave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:27 PM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Personally, I am with Kaoz, thankful to TT for what he did in Boston, but that doesn't mean I like the way he went out.

What I am wondering is, why is it pure speculation for people to think that maybe "family" isn't the sole reason for him sitting out, but it isn't speculation for those that are saying family is the reason?

Fact is, nobody really knows what happened, or why Thomas chose not to play.

Another fact is that Thomas walked out on the last year of his contract after he had already received the majority of his front-loaded money.

Yet another fact is that the guy is on record as supporting a man who is anti-gay marraige, and one would think by extension and given other comments, anti-gay, period.

I am not going to condemn the man without knowing all the facts, but I sure as hell am not going to call him a role model either, which some here are doing.

ps Remember kids, even though the world is headed for financial ruin, feel free to have your parents dole out their hard-earned $$$ so that you can attend my hockey school....you know, just in case the world doesn't coming to a screeching halt...and there is still youth hockey

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:30 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloveSave1 View Post
Ill always love TT. He's a legend as far as im concerned. But this situation was never about family (I always thought that was a pathetic choice for his BS excuse). Its about taking his puck and going home while hurting Bruins management as much as possible, after Chia shopped him and to TTs disgust planned to go a different direction than extending a 38 year old goaltender.
I'm interested in how you know this. Please elaborate.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:44 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloveSave1 View Post
This is so wrong. And didn't Chiarelli offer to sign Timmy to an extension when Thomas said he was going to essentially retire?

All those players such as Savard signed to retirement contracts, none of them are going to play until the contract expires. They'll retire before they've fulfilled their end of the contract. Are they bad, evil villains as well?

PatriceBergeronFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:49 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
This is one of the nuttiest things I've ever read here. And I read them all.

He did not officially retire because it left an option open as well as still allowed him to try for Olympics next year.

But your original statements are about as close to real as unicorns and the boogeyman for Cripes sake.
I think his pet unicorn kicked him in the head.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:50 PM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanHortonFan View Post
This is so wrong. And didn't Chiarelli offer to sign Timmy to an extension when Thomas said he was going to essentially retire?

All those players such as Savard signed to retirement contracts, none of them are going to play until the contract expires. They'll retire before they've fulfilled their end of the contract. Are they bad, evil villains as well?
Are you serious?

The McSorley-Thomas comparison was bad, but so is this one.

We will never know if Marc Savard intended on finishing out his contract with the B's...we do with Thomas. Two completely different situations.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:54 PM
22Brad Park

,Sticking the team with 5 million or whatever it is less then rest the teams is not a move that sits well i bet with alot Bruins fans or even his ex team mates,Hard to respect a guy that does not stick to what he put his name too on a contract,Finish it then do what ya want .Just my take on it,

22Brad Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:59 PM
Rubber Biscuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Brad Park View Post
,Sticking the team with 5 million or whatever it is less then rest the teams is not a move that sits well i bet with alot Bruins fans or even his ex team mates,Hard to respect a guy that does not stick to what he put his name too on a contract,Finish it then do what ya want .Just my take on it,
The problem with this line of thinking, in my opinion, is that we'd still be stuck with his cap hit if he retired, which many people forget (or ignore).

I don't think it's fair to fault a guy for retiring before his contract ends.

Rubber Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:00 PM
CDJ

He's a weirdo, and I was upset at first, but I can't hate the guy. He did too much for the franchise.

CDJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:04 PM
ToddRundgren
A Wizard A True Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Biscuit View Post
The problem with this line of thinking, in my opinion, is that we'd still be stuck with his cap hit if he retired, which many people forget (or ignore).

I get so confused that I forget. I can't be even annoyed if retirement makes no difference cap wise.

ToddRundgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:07 PM
22Brad Park

Quote:

You know if the guy came out and said ,my hip bugging me again,and do not want to go through it,fine,or if he said hey,i signed that deal and sorry to Bruins organization but want spend time with my family and i know it kind of wedges ya in but i really feel i need to be home ,Well ok,least he sincere,But not once did I hear that from him,The way its coming off in my eyes is he is trying to put it to the Bruins.Can i prove that? Of course not.Am i wrong? Maybe,but all he had to say was he was sorry for putting them in tough spot,I do not remember hearing that from him,If he did please show me so I can say I am wrong.Thankyou.And by way,some fans will say he does not owe us an apology or the team,well hey,he signed the deal not me, Did he say he retired? why not ? Just throwing that at ya' for fact if he did then I would put it to rest as well.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:11 PM
Random Bruins Fan
Certified Poster

Didn't like how he handled things in 2012 but it's time to move on. I'll best remember him for his tremendous performance for the Bruins in the finals and the single biggest reason why they won the cup. Thanks Thomas, even if you are a bit strange.

-when he plays against the B's next year I would love to see him get shelled, but knowing Thomas he will probably stand on his head.

Random Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:14 PM
Rubber Biscuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Brad Park View Post
You know if the guy came out and said ,my hip bugging me again,and do not want to go through it,fine,or if he said hey,i signed that deal and sorry to Bruins organization but want spend time with my family and i know it kind of wedges ya in but i really feel i need to be home ,Well ok,least he sincere,But not once did I hear that from him,The way its coming off in my eyes is he is trying to put it to the Bruins.Can i prove that? Of course not.Am i wrong? Maybe,but all he had to say was he was sorry for putting them in tough spot,I do not remember hearing that from him,If he did please show me so I can say I am wrong.Thankyou.And by way,some fans will say he does not owe us an apology or the team,well hey,he signed the deal not me, Did he say he retired? why not ? Just throwing that at ya' for fact if he did then I would put it to rest as well.
If my memory is correct, he did say he wanted to spend time with his family. I'll check for a link to that.

As others have pointed out, he helped the Bruins by not retiring. If they absolutely needed to, they could move his contract. If he retires, they're on the hook no matter what. He also left the door open for possible Olympic participation next year (extremely unlikely IMO).

There's far too much speculation about his motives that most of us are guilty of, and I don't think it's fair to him. And I don't think it's right to want an apology for what appears to be a serious personal issue.

EDIT: As far as apologies go- for all we know, he did apologize to his teammates and the organization.

EDIT 2: Found a quote about his family from his Facebook page:

Quote:
From the earliest age I can remember, I've wanted to be a hockey player. I've been blessed in my life to not only be able to live that dream, but to achieve more than I ever thought possible. The singleminded focus that is necessary to accomplish a dream of this magnitude entails (by necessity) sacrifice in other areas and relationships in life. At the age of 38, I believe it is time to put my time and energies into those areas and relationships that I have neglected. That is why at this time I feel the most important thing I can do in my life is to reconnect with the three F's. Friends, Family, and Faith. This is what I plan on doing over the course of the next year.

Last edited by Rubber Biscuit: 01-06-2013 at 11:19 PM.
Rubber Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:16 PM
Open Ice

My mind is in perpetual explosion over people who include a "but" when talking about Tim Thomas. Good luck ever seeing anything equaling what we got from him in the last five years or so in your life time. Seriously, if Tukka doesn't work out, if Svedberg doesn't work out, if Malcolm doesn't work out - in 10 years you keepers of the Tim Thomas Grudge are going to gaze back upon these legendary years between pulls from the Jack Daniels and think: "wait, what was my problem with him again?"

Open Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:19 PM
22Brad Park

Quote:
If my memory is correct, he did say he wanted to spend time with his family. I'll check for a link to that.

As others have pointed out, he helped the Bruins by not retiring. If they absolutely needed to, they could move his contract. If he retires, they're on the hook no matter what. He also left the door open for possible Olympic participation next year (extremely unlikely IMO).

There's far too much speculation about his motives that most of us are guilty of, and I don't think it's fair to him. And I don't think it's right to want an apology for what appears to be a serious personal issue.

EDIT: As far as apologies go- for all we know, he did apologize to his teammates and the organization.
Yes you could be right,maybe he did apologize to his team mates and ownership etc.I hope he did not have a Marty Brodeur situation with the wifes sister haha kidding,,O well he gone and Bruins will have to make due ..

Old
01-06-2013, 11:30 PM
BergyDGD
Hockey season yet?

I'll remember Thomas for the Stanley Cup and his somewhat short but dominant stretch as a goalie for this franchise. His run in net for the Bruins was similar to Pedro Martinez dominance in the 90s for the Sox, granted Pedro's Sox career extended beyond his prime years and he left the city on good terms. Rewatching those playoff games during the lockout was amazing, it's easy to remember how important he was but watching the games again I had forgot how completely out of his mind he played. Do I like they way he left? no, but it is what it is and it's not like we didn't have a starter in waiting with Tukkaa and the cap hit is gonna only effect us this year. I'll never forget seeing Thomas play for the first time live, it was Joe Thornton's first game back in Boston with the Sharks in 2005 and me and some buddies were sitting right behind the Bruins bench. When Raycroft got pulled in that atrocity of a game Thomas went, me and my friends thought who the hell is Tim Thomas, what's with his mask (the Bear and arrows mask at the time), and damn that is one unathletic looking player. 7 years later he has 2 Vezinas, a Conn Smyth, and a Cup. Funny how things turned out. Regardless of how he left he'll always be a legend in my mind.

BergyDGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:38 PM
disfigured

Send a message via ICQ to disfigured Send a message via AIM to disfigured Send a message via MSN to disfigured Send a message via Yahoo to disfigured
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post
He didnt care so much that he played in leagues all over the world just for a shot at playing, battled a bad hip and fought even harder to come back and provide this city with something theyve longed for for 40 years.

Then after doing all of that not caring, he went back to his family who he had to sacrifice time with to do that not caring.

It's sickening that people on here put a game over family. Thomas will be able to look back on his life without a single regret. I have the utmost respect for anyone who understands and realizes that family is literally the single most important thing we can have in life. More important than any job or any game.

Thats my last thought on the topic. Ill forever love Tim Thomas for the joy he brought me in a Bruins uniform.
My mother is 80 and she knows not to call my house during a game.... hehe.......

But your point is taken and spot on. What ever is happening in Tim's life, it's his call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open Ice View Post
My mind is in perpetual explosion over people who include a "but" when talking about Tim Thomas. Good luck ever seeing anything equaling what we got from him in the last five years or so in your life time. Seriously, if Tukka doesn't work out, if Svedberg doesn't work out, if Malcolm doesn't work out - in 10 years you keepers of the Tim Thomas Grudge are going to gaze back upon these legendary years between pulls from the Jack Daniels and think: "wait, what was my problem with him again?"
I also get what your saying, but it's sort of a double edged sword. Most of us "upset" with Timmy or at lest the absense of him for whatever reason (me included) understand how good he is, and that's why we're upset. So many years of only serendipitous streaks of solid goal-tending. Once we have a bonafide netminder he sort of just vanishes into thin air (CO pun intended).

I think no matter who plays in net for us (IMHO) we'll always look back at Tim and appreciate him.

What I'm fearful of isn't that 10 years span, but this upcoming 48-50 game span. I don't want to look back at a SC finals loss, thinking what could have been if he just stayed one more year. The pieces are in place for another run, but one of the biggest pieces isn't.

Personally I think it's his Dad. If you've ever seen any of the interviews with him he doesn't look good. Grossly obese (that is the medical term), and if I'm not mistaken , on oxygen already. People can go for extended periods of time in these conditions (my mother-in-law did), but if you have the finacial resources to spend time with them now, that's the most prudent thing to do, incase (god forbid) something does happen prematurely.

disfigured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:51 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8th Rounder View Post
Didn't like how he handled things in 2012 but it's time to move on. I'll best remember him for his tremendous performance for the Bruins in the finals and the single biggest reason why they won the cup. Thanks Thomas, even if you are a bit strange.

-when he plays against the B's next year I would love to see him get shelled, but knowing Thomas he will probably stand on his head.
Well, you can certainly take that to the bank.

Another reason I laugh at a lot of the misplaced Thomas anger. I don't think his biggest supporters would ever say they LIKED the way he went out. But some people have to turn down the MSNBC for 10 seconds and think a/b it. Instead of accepting a trade to Philly or the Caps in 2010, this guy implemented his NTC, supported his teammate Tuukka, and stayed despite every indication he was taking a backseat.

Then, puts on the performance of a lifetime playing circles around Tuukka, ending w/ a Vezina, Conn Smythe, and Cup. Would any of you have thought of what it would have been like to face TT behind a Flyers or Caps roster in 2011? Think we sweep Philly or even get out of the habs series? Right. The Caps beat us w/ 2nd stringer! We'd still be licking our wounds w/o so much as sniffing a Cup. Some of you would have taken a flying leap off of chump cliff by now. TT spared you that unbelievably painful scenario as well. Does he get credit for not going along w/ management in that scenario? Nope.

What can I say. When I hear fans run over a guy who delivered what we could only dream a/b for 3 decades. I'm sorry, you've missed the plot. Not only that, I worry a/b karma biting you (e.g. TURCO TIME!!! WHEW!!), not to mention the rest of us, right in the ass. Starting w/ the assumption Tuukka can just step in there and it's Cup time again. Add TT signing somewhere where he can really make you eat ****. Personally, I preferred when he was serving up doodoo burgers on our behalf.

Tim Thomas night is going to be HILARIOUS at some point, that's for sure.

Last edited by Neely08: 01-07-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:58 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
I want to know if we have a NHL goalie or not. I didn't agree with the games splits last year. When you are suppose to have 2 go to guys and one gets the majority of the calls, I don't like it!

Look at the Redskins today, playing RG3 when they could have had someone else playing. (slightly off cue but still you should get the point)

That was a Hail Mary of a game plan if you ask me.

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:04 AM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8th Rounder View Post

Phil Niekro he's not.

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote