Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Thomas is d.o.n.e.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:11 PM
ssault
SW BROONS

vCash: 500
A good goalie with loose screws is hardly news, but the political implications this time around caused understandable strife.

We already knew Thomas was done - the lockout just didn't change anything. No need to wish a curse upon his house.

ssault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:16 PM
northeastern

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
Couldn't disagree more. He is without a doubt one of the heroes of this city in bringing a Cup to Boston. Can't change that no matter how bitter you might be.

Nothing can take back what he did that season, or the other 6 seasons when he was at the helm, but I do think this adds a blotch on his legacy and affects his legendary status.

northeastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:26 AM
NORY

i just hope that with the new CBA his cap hit wont count somehow, maybe wishful thinking. that way we bruins fans dont have to have a bad taste in our mouth over him not playing because he was great for us and one of our best goalies of all time.

NORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:11 AM
GloveSave1
- 1 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I'm interested in how you know this. Please elaborate.
Common sense. Do we really have to go over the whole back story that we all lived? We all read the stories and know the personalities. I'll never buy the whole family bit in the last year of his contract. Not with the way things played out. Yeah, its my opinion...like most of the stuff people post on here. So you believe he just wants to hang out with the fam in the last year of the deal? Nothing more to it than that. Or because we can't look inside TT's mind he just gets a pass? No need to think about why. The guy should have said he's tired and just wants to go sqwatch'n this year I would have had more respect for that one.

GloveSave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:33 AM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by northeastern View Post
Nothing can take back what he did that season, or the other 6 seasons when he was at the helm, but I do think this adds a blotch on his legacy and affects his legendary status.
It only adds a blotch if you are vindictive enough to let it.

At the end of the day he gave up on his contract and a few millions of dollars to be with family. That's it. I personally find it admirable that he chooses what's important in life over a game.

If people want to spin it that he was a right wing nutjob who is ungrateful to his team and the sport that's their prerogative. But I certainly hope they are in the extreme minority.

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:41 AM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
the only good thing about Tim quitting is that i'm about to get a steal of a deal for his jersey on ebay.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:18 AM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
Personally, I am with Kaoz, thankful to TT for what he did in Boston, but that doesn't mean I like the way he went out.

What I am wondering is, why is it pure speculation for people to think that maybe "family" isn't the sole reason for him sitting out, but it isn't speculation for those that are saying family is the reason?

Fact is, nobody really knows what happened, or why Thomas chose not to play.

Another fact is that Thomas walked out on the last year of his contract after he had already received the majority of his front-loaded money.

Yet another fact is that the guy is on record as supporting a man who is anti-gay marraige, and one would think by extension and given other comments, anti-gay, period.

I am not going to condemn the man without knowing all the facts, but I sure as hell am not going to call him a role model either, which some here are doing.

ps Remember kids, even though the world is headed for financial ruin, feel free to have your parents dole out their hard-earned $$$ so that you can attend my hockey school....you know, just in case the world doesn't coming to a screeching halt...and there is still youth hockey
This post is a little ill tempered. Why is his views on financial stuff directly related to his camp should he stop helping kids get better at hockey because he does not agree with politicians? I think he has made more sacrifices to get to the NHL than anyone so he is in good position to run a hockey camp and parents can send their kids to someone who knew what it took and made it the hard way.

The guy can be anti gay marraige without being anti gay that is just jumping to conclusions assuming that. Thats what I am. I guess I owe the board an apology for being religious now right?

Chiarelli wanted Khudobin as the second goaltender to Rask. Thats a fact it wasn't going to be Tim and Tukkaa competing. Thomas did not want to play out the final year of his contract in Edmonton. Instead of retiring and his cap being stuck to the roster he gave the Bruins flexibility by going this route. He deserves credit for this and not sticking it to the team.

He was a great goaltender for us. In the United States he is free to have whatever political beliefs he wishes. I wish the guy the best and hope he is happy and has had a nice last few months. I hated the white house thing too and disagree with most of his views but that really is minor and doesn't matter and have no bearings on my thoughts of the guy.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:24 AM
LyndonByers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Brad Park View Post
You know if the guy came out and said ,my hip bugging me again,and do not want to go through it,fine,or if he said hey,i signed that deal and sorry to Bruins organization but want spend time with my family and i know it kind of wedges ya in but i really feel i need to be home ,Well ok,least he sincere,But not once did I hear that from him,The way its coming off in my eyes is he is trying to put it to the Bruins.Can i prove that? Of course not.Am i wrong? Maybe,but all he had to say was he was sorry for putting them in tough spot,I do not remember hearing that from him,If he did please show me so I can say I am wrong.Thankyou.And by way,some fans will say he does not owe us an apology or the team,well hey,he signed the deal not me, Did he say he retired? why not ? Just throwing that at ya' for fact if he did then I would put it to rest as well.
Isn't Chia on record saying that he received the information regarding Thomas' hiatus from Thomas' agent?

Would the Bruins organization and GM at least expect a phone call from the man explaining his reasoning for such a decision that would hugely impact his employers and how they do business in the summer? Also a decision that would impact his teammates?

I believe the writing is on the wall from where I stand. There are hard feelings from both sides and Thomas decided to quit and take away the leverage that the Bruins had in the offseason after he had received the majority of his money in his front loaded contract.

Don't be surprised if he will now leverage for a contract extention from a desperate team that may acquire him down the road when they have goalie problems.

There have been rumblings regarding Thomas' personality for years and it appears the more successful he became the more he showed his true colors.

What I would really like to know is if Thomas received that $10,000 stipend that apparently all P.A members received in December? Hey, perhaps that is why he took part in that meeting.

Maybe he didn't receive it but it would certainly be interesting knowing if he did considering he "stated" he wasn't going to play.

Last edited by LyndonByers: 01-07-2013 at 07:33 AM.
LyndonByers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:26 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Why is it not OK to respect what the man did for the Bruins while having issue with how he left?

I think some folks actually defend him more since he retired then they did when he played.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:28 AM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaStinger View Post
They are right, no matter what board, fanboys, be fanboys.
There's a difference between being a fanboy and calling someone out for making utterly ridiculous and completely made up statements.

To rearrange your own phrase, but in a much more accurate way, "haters be haters"

Ference the Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:35 AM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post
This post is a little ill tempered. Why is his views on financial stuff directly related to his camp should he stop helping kids get better at hockey because he does not agree with politicians? I think he has made more sacrifices to get to the NHL than anyone so he is in good position to run a hockey camp and parents can send their kids to someone who knew what it took and made it the hard way.

The guy can be anti gay marraige without being anti gay that is just jumping to conclusions assuming that. Thats what I am. I guess I owe the board an apology for being religious now right?

Chiarelli wanted Khudobin as the second goaltender to Rask. Thats a fact it wasn't going to be Tim and Tukkaa competing. Thomas did not want to play out the final year of his contract in Edmonton. Instead of retiring and his cap being stuck to the roster he gave the Bruins flexibility by going this route. He deserves credit for this and not sticking it to the team.

He was a great goaltender for us. In the United States he is free to have whatever political beliefs he wishes. I wish the guy the best and hope he is happy and has had a nice last few months. I hated the white house thing too and disagree with most of his views but that really is minor and doesn't matter and have no bearings on my thoughts of the guy.
1) I have no idea what your views on gays or gay rights is, but Dan Cathy and Chick-fil-a donate money to organizations that advocate "cures" for homosexuality. Personally, that is not something that I support and IMO it has nothing to do with "being religious". I must have missed the part in the Bible were Jesus supported the persecution of others? At any rate, a man that aligns himself with groups that have those types of beliefs is no "hero" in my book.

2) Thomas took the money up front in his contract knowing full well that one of the concessions was that the last year of the contract he would not have "no trade" protection. Perhaps he should have taken less money annually if he was that concerned about the potential for having to move his family?

3) I have zero issues with Thomas running a hockey school. I know kids that have attended it, and most loved it. My issue is that Thomas posts things on his Facebook page referencing a global financial meltdown, but six inches below that at the bottom of the page, has ads running for his hockey school. If you can't see the irony/hypocrisy in that, I don't know what to tell you.

My only regret in this situation is that (so far) the B's could not find a way to benefit from Thomas' decision not to honor the final year of his contract.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:35 AM
Sigh
Snowflake

vCash: 1415
I admit I thought Timmy had gone bananas after that world bank (or whatever it was) facebook thing. But then, as someone here pointed out, at the peak of his "infamy", he puts some commercial post up. Crazy like a fox, perhaps.

I'll always love the guy, despite the facepalm moments. The good was MUCH > than the bad with Timmy, IMHO. I'll never forget that cup run, as it was the first in my life.

Sigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:11 AM
SPV
Zoinks!

I was hopeful with the extra time off due to the lockout that he might consider coming back for a 6 month season; but I guess it was not meant to be. Hopefully Tuukka can hold the fort.

Best of luck to Timmy, he was one of the best we've ever had IMO. And his heroics in the 2011 Cup run should always be the way he's remembered by Bruins fans!!

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:19 AM
RedeyeRocketeer

An emotional dude who reacted emotionally when he found out he was being shopped. I dunno, I see where he came from. At this point I just hope his cap hit can be bought out.

RedeyeRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:25 AM
bosoxmrkn

Send a message via AIM to bosoxmrkn
What is the cap floor for the rest of this season? With the cap remaining 70.2 doesn't that open up the possibility that a few teams will be looking to make up some cap space without spending money just for this year? Seems there might be a place for TT on another team, even if he doesn't play.

And even if he does come back for the other team, what's his real salary this year? 2m? 1m? I know its tiny compared to his hit.

bosoxmrkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:30 AM
bosoxmrkn

Send a message via AIM to bosoxmrkn
self research... floor lowered to 44m.. that sucks for us.

bosoxmrkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:48 AM
Number8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Why is it not OK to respect what the man did for the Bruins while having issue with how he left?

I think some folks actually defend him more since he retired then they did when he played.
Exactly!

As you say, I have the utmost respect and admiration for the how he played and what he produced as a goalie for the Bruins -- less so for how he managed his departure.

In the end, it's not a big deal and life is not as black and white as some make it out to be. The guy is neither a hero, nor a demon. He's an amazing goalie, but other than that I think it could be argued that his other human strengths and weaknesses are pretty run of the mill.

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:56 AM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosoxmrkn View Post
No one was going to take him anyway.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:58 AM
CamFan81
Derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post
He didnt care so much that he played in leagues all over the world just for a shot at playing, battled a bad hip and fought even harder to come back and provide this city with something theyve longed for for 40 years.

Then after doing all of that not caring, he went back to his family who he had to sacrifice time with to do that not caring.

It's sickening that people on here put a game over family. Thomas will be able to look back on his life without a single regret. I have the utmost respect for anyone who understands and realizes that family is literally the single most important thing we can have in life. More important than any job or any game.

Thats my last thought on the topic. Ill forever love Tim Thomas for the joy he brought me in a Bruins uniform.
Was trying to find a way to say what was in my head. You did it for me.

I'd like to only add, that when/IF he returns to hockey, then and only then will I will entertain the idea that him leaving was for anything other than family.
Thanks for the the best goaltending performance I've ever seen. You made the NHL (and alot of knuckleheads on here) eat ****.

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:06 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloveSave1 View Post
Common sense. Do we really have to go over the whole back story that we all lived? We all read the stories and know the personalities. I'll never buy the whole family bit in the last year of his contract. Not with the way things played out. Yeah, its my opinion...like most of the stuff people post on here. So you believe he just wants to hang out with the fam in the last year of the deal? Nothing more to it than that. Or because we can't look inside TT's mind he just gets a pass? No need to think about why. The guy should have said he's tired and just wants to go sqwatch'n this year I would have had more respect for that one.
"Common sense" tells me that if a guy at the peak of his profession suddenly up and leaves the game he loves and leaves $5 million on the table, there's something fundamentally and personally wrong, and whatever it is, he's not sharing it with the public. Nor should he be forced to.

Artemis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:11 AM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
"Common sense" tells me that if a guy at the peak of his profession suddenly up and leaves the game he loves and leaves $5 million on the table, there's something fundamentally and personally wrong, and whatever it is, he's not sharing it with the public. Nor should he be forced to.
He's a couple years past his peak and he left 3M on the table.

I don't think he should have to share his personal story for leaving and I don't fault him for leaving.

But I also don't fault people for being upset with him leaving. I'm a huge TT supporter, but the way he left rubbed me the wrong way. The guy walked away from the last year of a deal after being paid the majority of his contract, it was also the year that his NMC was up.

I'm sure he had a reason to leave, but I can see the other side just as well.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:22 AM
DaveFromNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosoxmrkn View Post
I believe that is next years floor, and that this years stays at the $54.2m announced last summer. Do you have a link to a reference of this years floor dropping, because my number is based on my not seeing anything about a drop...

DaveFromNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:35 AM
gvkmedia
Preaching B's hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFromNB View Post
I believe that is next years floor, and that this years stays at the $54.2m announced last summer. Do you have a link to a reference of this years floor dropping, because my number is based on my not seeing anything about a drop...
Call me crazy - but if the floor is 54.2 million - TT may very well be a hot commodity over the next 2 weeks. Even a retired TT. A free 5 million cap hit has value in this shortened season.

gvkmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:13 AM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post

You have it right. It's the people who have zero respect or the least amount of gratitude for what the guy gave them. As if Conn Smythe and Vezina caliber goaltending arbitrarily falls out of the sky every few years. Not to mention for all the wrong reasons.

No, look at my post count. Majority of that is defending TT before we won a cup. All those fake Vezinas and soft goals, add not allowing Chia to trade him at the deadline in 2010 so he could eventually win us a Cup. That and Chara bouncing Paciotretty like a tennis ball b/c Gordie Howe jr didn't plant his edges while contacting a 6'9" NHL D-man.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:22 AM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFromNB View Post
On first-year cap: upper limit is $60 M but teams can spend up to $70.2 M. Cap floor is $44 M

Fire Julien is online now   Reply With Quote