Old
01-07-2013, 10:31 AM
bosoxmrkn

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to bosoxmrkn
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
No one was going to take him anyway.
I beg to differ. Although its a moot point. 5m cap hit, for $0... That would look mighty nice to any team under the cap with 22-23 players already sewn up.

bosoxmrkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:31 AM
BergyWho37

I'm going to keep this short and to the point.. TT deserves that money even if he is sitting on his @ss and if anybody wants to disagree with me that's fine !! He was the heart soul of this team most nights !! I can name lots of bruins that give up during games but TIM THOMAS wasn't one of them ... Shame on other bruin fans ripping him !!

BergyWho37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:23 AM
jasonbaz77*

No Thomas, no Cup. End of story. Love the man and always will. God bless you Timmy and good luck brother.

jasonbaz77* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:25 AM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
Are you serious?

The McSorley-Thomas comparison was bad, but so is this one.

We will never know if Marc Savard intended on finishing out his contract with the B's...we do with Thomas. Two completely different situations.
I wasn't calling out Savard, just his type of contract. Sheesh. Those retirement contracts where a player suddenly makes the league minimum for a few years, you know?

You don't expect players like Zetterberg, Franzen, Luongo, Kovalchuk, Savard (if not hurt), Pronger, et al to actually play the final season(s) of their contract, do you?

Last edited by PatriceBergeronFan: 01-07-2013 at 11:43 AM.
PatriceBergeronFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:30 AM
ksp1957

vCash: 361
Send a message via AIM to ksp1957
Tim Thomas was on the team that won us the Stanley Cup for the first time since I was a teenager. There was a 1 in 50 chance we win it without him in net which is why he won the Conn Smythe trophy that year. We win the Cup this year with Rask, then feel free to talk all the smack you want about him, but until then he can stay in his bunker with his family without any (or is that many) wisecracks from me,

ksp1957 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:32 AM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloveSave1 View Post
Common sense. Do we really have to go over the whole back story that we all lived? We all read the stories and know the personalities. I'll never buy the whole family bit in the last year of his contract. Not with the way things played out. Yeah, its my opinion...like most of the stuff people post on here. So you believe he just wants to hang out with the fam in the last year of the deal? Nothing more to it than that. Or because we can't look inside TT's mind he just gets a pass? No need to think about why. The guy should have said he's tired and just wants to go sqwatch'n this year I would have had more respect for that one.
Than being a 38 year old (see how many of them are still playing in the NHL!) who wants to spend time with his friends and family? I rather prefer the reason he gave us for his retirement.

PatriceBergeronFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:44 AM
Greyhounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksp1957 View Post
Tim Thomas was on the team that won us the Stanley Cup for the first time since I was a teenager. There was a 1 in 50 chance we win it without him in net which is why he won the Conn Smythe trophy that year. We win the Cup this year with Rask, then feel free to talk all the smack you want about him, but until then he can stay in his bunker with his family without any (or is that many) wisecracks from me,
Unfortunately, I don't see any other cups going forward, without him. I was sort of hoping that being off for several months in the lockout would have refreshed TT, and he'd be looking forward to coming back. Apparently not.

Greyhounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:57 AM
Number8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergyWho37 View Post
I'm going to keep this short and to the point.. TT deserves that money even if he is sitting on his @ss and if anybody wants to disagree with me that's fine !! He was the heart soul of this team most nights !! I can name lots of bruins that give up during games but TIM THOMAS wasn't one of them ... Shame on other bruin fans ripping him !!
Does that mean Tom Brady can take the next few years off too? And still get paid?

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:58 AM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
Does that mean Tom Brady can take the next few years off too? And still get paid?
Thomas does not get paid if he doesn't play.

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:59 AM
Number8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
Thomas does not get paid if he doesn't play.
I know. I was responding to the posters claim that TT "deserves the money".

If the guy doesn't want to play, he doesn't have to play. But I've never heard such malarky as the suggestion that he's already earned the money!

Old
01-07-2013, 12:00 PM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Oh please.

I don't agree at all with Thomas's political views, but if a professional athlete is at the top of his game and suddenly withdraws from view, something's wrong. And it's not up to me or any other person to stand in judgement of him unless they know what that something is.

I will be forever grateful to Thomas for helping the Bruins win their first Stanley Cup since I was a kid. And I wish him the best, and personal peace, in the future.

As for practical matters, his cap hit comes off the books after this season. There's no need to buy him out.
Real good post...nothing more to add, just wanted to point that out.

11MilesPerJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:05 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
I know. I was responding to the posters claim that TT "deserves the money".

If the guy doesn't want to play, he doesn't have to play. But I've never heard such malarky as the suggestion that he's already earned the money!
His contract was front-loaded, so technically he has earned the majority of his money. He loses out on whatever he was due to get in real dollars this season...I forget how much that is.

It's a gray area, but I appreciate your use of "malarky".

Old
01-07-2013, 12:09 PM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

I'll always have good memories from Timothe Vezina Smythe Stanley Thomas!

Thanks for everything Timmy!

And, as many pointed out, the B's have around 6M in cap space if they put Savard on LTIR and Thomas contract expires after the season. Zero problemo.

Jean_Jacket41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:13 PM
Number8

Quote:
His contract was front-loaded, so technically he has earned the majority of his money. He loses out on whatever he was due to get in real dollars this season...I forget how much that is.

Thanks!

I confess I think I spelled it wrong, but the intent was there!

Old
01-07-2013, 12:17 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Thanks TT, you came out of nowhere and delivered this team to a cup victory!! While the end in Boston may not have been what most fans wanted, I have nothing but good wishes for him and his family. It's too bad that so many "fans" are taking the guy's decision to put his family ahead of his career personally and pulling a hatchet job on him. Sad, really.

LSCII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:23 PM
ripley

Quote:

$3 mil

http://www.capgeek.com/player/236

ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:23 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripley View Post
Gracias. That's what I thought but wasn't sure.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:33 PM
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!

I'm disappointed thet he's not coming back, but I'm not surprised.

He said he was taking a year off, so I had no reason to doubt what he meant by that.

It would have been nice if he'd played out his contract and announced his retirement, but it's his decision and if he can live with it, I reckon I can too.

Thanks for the memories and hopefully there's a Tim Thomas night at the Gahden in the future.

Roll 4 Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:43 PM
Therick67

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
Thanks TT, you came out of nowhere and delivered this team to a cup victory!! While the end in Boston may not have been what most fans wanted, I have nothing but good wishes for him and his family. It's too bad that so many "fans" are taking the guy's decision to put his family ahead of his career personally and pulling a hatchet job on him. Sad, really.
This is how I feel.

Thanks for the memories Tim, I'll never forget how great that cup run was.

Therick67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:27 PM
trenton1
Paille Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
Perfectly said.

I think Thomas will make a comeback attempt elsewhere at some point but that's no problem for me. He did great work here and now he wants to spend some time at home. Great. Well earned.

trenton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:32 PM
Save By Thomas
I Rep That West

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
People do realize that by not retiring Thomas is actually helping the Bruins, right?
Maybe, but they dont care. Timmy could save their dog from a house fire and they would still spit in the guys face. 99% of all the crap this guy has taken has been because he dared to voice his political opinion and that opinion is contrary to the vast majority of Massachusetts. TT is and forever will be a hero to me and should be to all Bruins fans. Eff this, lets play Hockey.

Last edited by Save By Thomas: 01-07-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Save By Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:36 PM
JMiller

I changed my mind. . . There is no way he turns down 3 mil to play 48+ games (or whatever it works out to pro-rated). Got to think a big chunk of dough in a short span of time would be good for anyone's family. Figure he's angling for a say in where Chia wants to ship him.

JMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:50 PM
Fair Warning

Thanks for the cup, Tim. Enjoy "retirement."

Fair Warning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:03 PM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Save By Thomas View Post
Matbe, but they dont care. Timmy could save their dog from a house fire and they would still spit in the guys face. 99% of all the crap this guy has taken has been because he dared to voice his political opinion and that opinion is contrary to the vast majority of Massachusetts. TT is and forever will be a hero to me and should be to all Bruins fans. Eff this, lets play Hockey.
Ok, enough with this ridiculous straw man. There are 172 posts in this thread as of right now- I've seen maybe 1-2 posters that are really going after Thomas, and their comments were immediately piled onto by people defending Thomas. The remaining posts are all in support of him (often rabidly), and then there are some people who say something along the lines of "love what he did for the team, don't like how he went out, let's move on, good luck". Hardly unreasonable.

This whole "Timmy could save their dog from a house fire and they would still spit in the guys face" is the definition of false outrage. It's hilarious to me that 10-12 comments in a 170+ comment thread are glommed onto and those 10-12 comments (from 1-2 posters mind you) become evidence of some mass movement among Bruins fans to conspire against him.

Unreal.

We should come to a board agreement and move on:
1. 99.99% chance the Bruins don't win the Cup in '11 without him, and his PO run that year is arguably the best run a goalie has had in the sport, ever.
2. He left the team in a nontraditional manner, one that might have rubbed some fans the wrong way. The vast majority of people who feel this way would in no way deny #1.
3. The people who would "spit in his face" after he saved their puppy, or whatever other hyperbolic nonsense it might be, are a tiny fringe of people, most of whom probably aren't really Bruins fans, they're more motivated by politics.

Time for everyone to let it go and worry about the season.

BoyntBergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:08 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
I changed my mind. . . There is no way he turns down 3 mil to play 48+ games (or whatever it works out to pro-rated). Got to think a big chunk of dough in a short span of time would be good for anyone's family. Figure he's angling for a say in where Chia wants to ship him.
I'm pretty sure player salaries are pro-rated for the time lost. Even if he were to play, he wouldn't get paid 3 million now. It would be half that.

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote