Thomas is d.o.n.e.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:31 PM
WBC8

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
I changed my mind. . . There is no way he turns down 3 mil to play 48+ games (or whatever it works out to pro-rated). Got to think a big chunk of dough in a short span of time would be good for anyone's family. Figure he's angling for a say in where Chia wants to ship him.
Khudobin stays in Russia, Rask pops a groin, Thomas rides in in March and the Bruins are the 2013 Champs. Would anyone doubt that could happen? Not me..Not with the Comeback Kid!

The entire team gets a tired excuse after the Capitals debacle, except Timmy of course..even though in three of his losses he gave up 2 goals each game.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:50 PM
RustyBruins72

I don't know what made me think of this, but maybe with TT choosing family instead of hockey.

Remember when Patrick Roy chose to attend his son's hockey tournament and not play for the Olympic team and lots of people went nuts? I know I did.

But a funny thing happens when you have kids and your own priorities change.

Tim Thomas made me proud to be a bruin fan. I always loved the way he played and the long road he took to get here. He did something that no goalie has done in 39 years and that's bring a cup to Boston.

I realize that maybe his actions with the white house and twitter may have been questioned by people, me included, but that's not how I will choose to remember him. I'll remember him as a guy who only a few years ago found out his parents hocked their wedding rings so he could attend goalie camp when he was 13 and now one who has chosen his family over hockey.

All the best Tim. I'll never forget what you did as a bruin.

For the love of god, don't go play for the Flyers.

RustyBruins72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:29 PM
Krupp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyBruins72 View Post
I don't know what made me think of this, but maybe with TT choosing family instead of hockey.

Remember when Patrick Roy chose to attend his son's hockey tournament and not play for the Olympic team and lots of people went nuts? I know I did.

But a funny thing happens when you have kids and your own priorities change.

Tim Thomas made me proud to be a bruin fan. I always loved the way he played and the long road he took to get here. He did something that no goalie has done in 39 years and that's bring a cup to Boston.

I realize that maybe his actions with the white house and twitter may have been questioned by people, me included, but that's not how I will choose to remember him. I'll remember him as a guy who only a few years ago found out his parents hocked their wedding rings so he could attend goalie camp when he was 13 and now one who has chosen his family over hockey.

All the best Tim. I'll never forget what you did as a bruin.

For the love of god, don't go play for the Flyers.
This sums up the way I feel about Tim. He's been a rock solid goalie; it's been fun to watch him play for Boston. As it is, I still don't quite understand why people let the man's political stance or beliefs bother them so much.

Krupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:35 PM
Scotto74

vCash: 50
Thank Tim. I will always remember the cup run and the monster you were in the playoffs.

NO offense but I hope this is the last Thread about you.

EVER

BOSTON STRONG!!!
Scotto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:40 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Khudobin stays in Russia, Rask pops a groin, Thomas rides in in March and the Bruins are the 2013 Champs. Would anyone doubt that could happen? Not me..Not with the Comeback Kid!

The entire team gets a tired excuse after the Capitals debacle, except Timmy of course..even though in three of his losses he gave up 2 goals each game.
I doubt that could happen because I take Thomas at his word that he isn't playing this year. Otherwise it is possible.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:26 PM
GoBs

Why not just buy him out?

GoBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:28 PM
Spoked-B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto74 View Post
Thank Tim. I will always remember the cup run and the monster you were in the playoffs.

NO offense but I hope this is the last Thread about you.

EVER
Not me. I hope we have a thread talking about his selection into the HHoF and number going to the rafters some day.

Spoked-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:36 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightslyr View Post
Quick question: Why hasn't he gone through the retirement process if that's the goal?

I will say I'm flabbergasted by the general perception here. Only in sports can not honoring a contract be seen as a good, even noble thing due to his past success.
You just had 30 owners decide not to honor 720 contracts.

And the other problem is your phrasing it as "not honoring" a contract. His contract is a deal with the team IF he wants to play hockey. Choosing not to play is not "dishonoring" a contract.

Dr Quincy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:38 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidy View Post
I'm with you.

I'm grateful to Tim for everything he's done for the Bruins over the years and he's the greatest goaltender I've ever seen in my life, but his decision is quite selfish and not worthy of any type of praise.

I really hope they can buy him out and get rid of his cap hit.
Why hasn't Savard retired? It's totally selfish of him and not worthy of praise for him to continue to collect a paycheck for sitting on his behind when he knows he's done with the game. It's screwing the team's cap. How dare him?

Old
01-07-2013, 04:40 PM
Baddkarma

Send a message via AIM to Baddkarma
Love me some TT and without him the Bruins don't come close to the cup. I will miss him and wish him and his family all the best. A true Bruins Stanley Cup hero.

Baddkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:43 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by northeastern View Post
Nothing can take back what he did that season, or the other 6 seasons when he was at the helm, but I do think this adds a blotch on his legacy and affects his legendary status.
Really? Tell me, how many years left did Patrick Roy have on his contract when he retired? Is his legacy tarnished? Not in the least.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:44 PM
Baddkarma

Send a message via AIM to Baddkarma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoked-B View Post
Not me. I hope we have a thread talking about his selection into the HHoF and number going to the rafters some day.
Here Here! Well said!

I have no clue why all the hate for this guy. He told them early he wasn't coming back, gave them time to prepare, and is an amazing Bruin.

Something tells me we could be missing him more and more as this short year goes on...

Baddkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:46 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosoxmrkn View Post
What is the cap floor for the rest of this season? With the cap remaining 70.2 doesn't that open up the possibility that a few teams will be looking to make up some cap space without spending money just for this year? Seems there might be a place for TT on another team, even if he doesn't play.

And even if he does come back for the other team, what's his real salary this year? 2m? 1m? I know its tiny compared to his hit.
Cap floor is a lot lower because they are actually lowering the cap, just letting teams be above it. Every team is over the floor.

Like I said back in June: No team is going to trade for Thomas in order to reach the floor.

Chalk one up for the good guy

Old
01-07-2013, 04:48 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBs View Post
1) Because that would cost money and suspending him doesn't
2) Because you can only buy a guy out during certain time periods, this isn't one
3) Because a 35+ contract stays on your books even if you buy him out

Best solution: do nothing, take the hit this year, and he's off the books in July

It has zero effect on the team right now

Old
01-07-2013, 04:49 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBs View Post
And what does that get you?

You have 3.5 out of your pocket and he still counts against the cap.

It's no different than making a huge money bonfire.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:52 PM
Number8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
You just had 30 owners decide not to honor 720 contracts.

And the other problem is your phrasing it as "not honoring" a contract. His contract is a deal with the team IF he wants to play hockey. Choosing not to play is not "dishonoring" a contract.
You and I have not always agreed on the TT issue, but I agree with your second sentence 100%. It's the absolute truth -- although the fact that TT had a front loaded contract gives me some heartburn..... but, whatever, it's old news.

TT has not pulled one of those dirtbag moves that used to more common than I could stomach -- players holding out at the start of a season because their active contract had not kept pace with new comparables that were signed after they did. God that used to piss me off.

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:10 PM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post

bonfires are good when it's this cold out.

Hey maybe JJ can do that as an apology for the fans

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:15 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post

Getting a loan and burning the money is what it is to me.

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:33 PM
GloveSave1
- 1 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
"Common sense" tells me that if a guy at the peak of his profession suddenly up and leaves the game he loves and leaves $5 million on the table, there's something fundamentally and personally wrong, and whatever it is, he's not sharing it with the public. Nor should he be forced to.
So I read into that that you believe its all about family. Okay, fair enough. I'd like to sell you a used car and some land in Florida. Haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanHortonFan View Post
Than being a 38 year old (see how many of them are still playing in the NHL!) who wants to spend time with his friends and family? I rather prefer the reason he gave us for his retirement.
He didn't retire, to my knowledge. You'll see TT again in the NHL...when he can have a little more say where he plays. Sorry people, but friends and family, while they might be on the list, ego is a huge factor at play here IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBruin View Post
No Thomas, no Cup. End of story. Love the man and always will. God bless you Timmy and good luck brother.
After all is said and done, and I move on from the pathetic way he went out, this is how I will remember Tim Thomas. Well said.

GloveSave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:48 PM
nycbruins*

So contracts now say "if you feel like it?" Dumbest thing i've heard in years of contract analysis/negotiations/litigation.

But don't want to fight. Timmy was amazing. Always grateful. Now cross fingers that tuukka/svedberg/subban etc. Can come close to his success in the next decade or so

nycbruins* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:26 PM
Rocko604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Give me a reason why they should buy him out.
Cap space. And that's the only reason. This isn't out of spite or revenge for the stuff he pulled last season either. We have $1.2 in cap space, I would assume buying him out would give us at least another million. If there's a 0% chance he plays for us this year, I don't see a reason keeping him on the roster.

Last edited by Rocko604: 01-07-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:28 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
Cap space. And that's the only reason.
Buying him out gives you nothing, zilch, nada, and whatever else means zero.

Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:30 PM
Scotto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoked-B View Post
ok that one I can deal with.

Scotto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:33 PM
cneely

I don't understand how anyone can say the cap hit is not affecting the Bruins this year. I'm a go for it every year guy. Unrealistic maybe, but how many more years is Chara's window? If we come down to the playoffs, and Tuukka is holding the fort, but we're one elite UFA away from challenging for the cup, but we don't have the cap room to add what we need, you're damn right I'll be bitter with Thomas.

I love the guy, I have an autographed Thomas jersey hanging in my basement. I'm Canadian and couldn't care less about the politics. He authored the Bruins first cup in my lifetime (technically I was born in 71 but don't really remember the '72 cup). But if he handcuffs us from going for it again this year, I'll be a little bitter about how it all ended.

cneely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:33 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
Cap space. And that's the only reason. This isn't out of spite or revenge for the stuff he pulled last season either. We have $1.2 in cap space, I would assume buying him out would give us at least another million. If there's a 0% chance he plays for us this year, I don't see a reason keeping him on the roster.
I'll say it again: YOU CAN'T BUY HIM OUT, IT'S AGAINST THE RULES

and

BUYING OUT A 35+ CONTRACT DOESN"T REMOVE IT FROM THE CAP