HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL 2012-2013 Season

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 08:34 PM
RedWingsNow*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricelund View Post
Yeah, I don't think anyone's going to want to take on that contract.

This is Ricelund speaking, but I've heard from a certain connected individual that Ovechkin has partying and thus fitness issues. He even spoke with Ovechkin about toning it down and AO apparently blew him off.
Fading Captain speaking.

1/2 of the NHL has partying issues.

The problem is that the caps have no leverage on Ovechkin.
If you ask me, Ovechkin would LOVE to get bought out.
Think about it from his perspective. He gets 2/3rds of his money.

So he'd get $55M -- Then he could shop himself to Moscow or to anyone else in the NHL.

You know that if the caps bought him out, there would still be an auction to sign him.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:11 PM
RedWingsNow*

Pens pick up Zach Boychuk on waivers.
Could get time with Malkin and neal.

Assets: Is versatile enough to be used in any game situation, and at any forward position. Has scoring potential, grit and hockey sense. Sets a good example in terms of his work ethic.
Flaws: His lack of ideal size for the pro game may hinder his ability to produce points on a consistent basis at the NHL level, so he may have to settle for a defensive role.
Career Potential: Versatile forward with some upside.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:31 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Thank you Mr. I, RIP

vCash: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
Columbus... Fine job wearing out St. Louis for us... not...
The Blues were either conserving energy or lost their legs in the middle of the second. Spent quite a bit of time in their own zone and didn't look great in the portions I flipped into. Now they got a big first period so maybe they locked it down, probably smart if they choose to. But there were a bunch of fights in the middle of the second period and the game was pretty physical. The score doesn't tell the whole story in this case, the first time all season the Blues didn't outshoot an opponent either.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:33 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Thank you Mr. I, RIP

Hudler with a great game so far, looks very comfortable with his countryman on his line. Looks like despite all those injuries he has picked up a half a step during the lockout, a little faster out there. Happy to see him doing well.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:44 PM
RedWingsNow*

The Flames passing looks familiar :/

Old
01-31-2013, 10:39 PM
RedMenace
So Long, and Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Hudler with a great game so far, looks very comfortable with his countryman on his line. Looks like despite all those injuries he has picked up a half a step during the lockout, a little faster out there. Happy to see him doing well.
Nice effort just to have it pissed away by poor, poor, team defense.

4 points (2g, 2a) in 2 games isn't too shabby, eh?

Old
02-01-2013, 06:23 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
Nice effort just to have it pissed away by poor, poor, team defense.

4 points (2g, 2a) in 2 games isn't too shabby, eh?
Seems like they've got a new guy to keep them away from the really high draft picks!

Old
02-01-2013, 08:58 AM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
The Blues were either conserving energy or lost their legs in the middle of the second. Spent quite a bit of time in their own zone and didn't look great in the portions I flipped into. Now they got a big first period so maybe they locked it down, probably smart if they choose to. But there were a bunch of fights in the middle of the second period and the game was pretty physical. The score doesn't tell the whole story in this case, the first time all season the Blues didn't outshoot an opponent either.
If it gets physical tonight, that'll be fun to watch. I still believe we can match and surpass the Blues' physical game.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:07 AM
RedMenace
So Long, and Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
If it gets physical tonight, that'll be fun to watch. I still believe we can match and surpass the Blues' physical game.
Franzen needs to come out with a chip on his shoulder tonight; they need Angry Mule now more than ever.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:44 AM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fading Captain View Post
Fading Captain speaking.

1/2 of the NHL has partying issues.
Half of the NHL haven't declined from 60+ goal scorers to above-average goal scorers.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:32 AM
RedWingsNow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricelund View Post
Half of the NHL haven't declined from 60+ goal scorers to above-average goal scorers.
So you're calling Ovie an above average goal scorer now?
Based on what? These last 5-6 games?
Or last season? When he scored 38 goals while the caps tried to employ a new defensive system?

Here's something to consider.
Ovie is 26.

Wayne Gretzky's best season came at 24
Yzerman's best came at 23.
Fedorov's best came at 23
Lemieux's best came at 22.

Not saying that Ovie isn't dogging it, or that he's not having difficulty of some sort, or that he's not partying too hard.

But lots of NHL greats peak statistically in their early 20s.
Which is really why UFA is such a racket

Old
02-01-2013, 11:30 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
In terms of actual salary, Ovechkin is 9th or 10th or something. There's no backdiving in Ovie's contract.

I can't think of many teams who could justify Ovie's contract. If the Wings didn't already have Z, Franzen and Kronwall signed to contracts that are going to cost this team dearly down the road - I'd consider taking Ovie.

But even then, the cap is about to drop. So short term or long term, Ovechkin is unaffordable.

The awesome thing about this is that Leonsis was considered a "hawk" on the owners' side in the CBA and he he's essentially saddle himself with this contract forever.
That's the point, though - if you're going to sign a guy to 13 years, you should get something more out of it than not having to negotiate with him for a decade. Might as well give him a shorter deal at the same money and keep some protection for yourself for the inevitable decline. I don't see a great reason for Washington to have signed off on that deal.

I can only see Ovie traded if the Caps eat some of his deal. It might be worth it, though.

02-01-2013, 05:41 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 165
Quote:
Pens pick up Zach Boychuk on waivers.
Could get time with Malkin and neal.

Assets: Is versatile enough to be used in any game situation, and at any forward position. Has scoring potential, grit and hockey sense. Sets a good example in terms of his work ethic.
Flaws: His lack of ideal size for the pro game may hinder his ability to produce points on a consistent basis at the NHL level, so he may have to settle for a defensive role.
Career Potential: Versatile forward with some upside.
A ham sandwich would look pretty good if you paired it with Malkin and Neal. If he wasn't good enough to get time on the Canes, I highly doubt he'll be able to get any more traction than the other scrubs they've been using to fill out their top 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
That's the point, though - if you're going to sign a guy to 13 years, you should get something more out of it than not having to negotiate with him for a decade. Might as well give him a shorter deal at the same money and keep some protection for yourself for the inevitable decline. I don't see a great reason for Washington to have signed off on that deal.

I can only see Ovie traded if the Caps eat some of his deal. It might be worth it, though.
Pretty sure this is still against the rules, unless they changed it in the new CBA.

Old
02-01-2013, 06:37 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Pretty sure this is still against the rules, unless they changed it in the new CBA.
I thought teams could keep part of a cap hit now in a trade? Or did that get axed?

Old
02-01-2013, 09:28 PM
Noori

vCash: 763
Jiri Hudler has been awesome for Calgary (mind you, it's been two games) but he has four points in those two games.

You can tell he comes from the Red Wings organization. Protects the puck really well and makes incredibly intelligent reads on the ice. Really a smart player and our most dangerous player offensively thus far (this is both good and bad).

Old
02-02-2013, 10:37 AM
Run the Jewels

Good to see Kyle Palmieri get off to a good start. He's 22, 5'10, kinda seems a bit like Gus Nyquist.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:58 AM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

I must admit, I greatly underestimated Anaheim's young guns. They are certainly impressive.

Old
02-02-2013, 02:22 PM
joe89

Watching Pittsburgh-New Jersey and the Pittsburgh scorekeeping is ridiculous as always. Kunitz steals the puck and sets up a goal - Malkin gets a secondary assist. Crosby steals the puck and sets up a goal - Dupuis gets a secondary assist. I'm surprised they didn't give assists on the brutal giveaway by Volchenkov too.

Old
02-02-2013, 11:38 PM
loojay

Just caught the 3rd of CGY-CHI. Calgary dominated the Hawks for the entire period. Glencross should have had about 6 goals himself. Hudler sets up the go-ahead goal and the Flames give up the tying goal with 2 seconds left. Exciting stuff. Too bad they couldn't hold the Hawks off and deny them the point(s). (Game's not over yet).

Bah! Flames lose in shootout. From only the third they definitely deserved that one.

Last edited by loojay: 02-02-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old
02-03-2013, 12:00 AM
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by loojay View Post
Just caught the 3rd of CGY-CHI. Calgary dominated the Hawks for the entire period. Glencross should have had about 6 goals himself. Hudler sets up the go-ahead goal and the Flames give up the tying goal with 2 seconds left. Exciting stuff. Too bad they couldn't hold the Hawks off and deny them the point(s). (Game's not over yet).

Bah! Flames lose in shootout. From only the third they definitely deserved that one.
I think we'll be competitive in the division. It's just tough to say we're better than Chicago and St Louis. Heck, Columbus shut us down although it was a back to back game. If we're lucky this season is going to be a grind where we finish third and get the 7th or 8th seed. There's just not much to indicate we'll be one of the top 4 seeds when the playoffs roll around. And those are the teams that typically end up hoisting the Stanley Cup.

Old
02-03-2013, 12:02 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Thank you Mr. I, RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Watching Pittsburgh-New Jersey and the Pittsburgh scorekeeping is ridiculous as always. Kunitz steals the puck and sets up a goal - Malkin gets a secondary assist. Crosby steals the puck and sets up a goal - Dupuis gets a secondary assist. I'm surprised they didn't give assists on the brutal giveaway by Volchenkov too.
I know they are the favorites of the NHL front office, but I am surprised they don't correct some of that after the fact. You're not alone in noticing this behavior in Pittsburgh.

Old
02-03-2013, 12:11 AM
GoAwayDanCleary
DRWCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
And Crosby got an assist on that Sutter goal when he didn't touch the puck at all.

Old
02-03-2013, 12:50 AM
CloneHakanPlease*

Hudler with an assist and two posts tonight. Looked very dangerous

Old
02-03-2013, 08:51 PM
we like our team*

i'm glad hudler's doing well in calgary

Old
02-03-2013, 09:07 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Thank you Mr. I, RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by braille View Post
i'm glad hudler's doing well in calgary
Me too, with that said I hope he has an awful game on Tuesday.

Closed Thread