HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Line Combos

Old
01-08-2013, 07:40 AM
vyktor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
Yeah I thought the most interesting quote from that article was Bylsma saying this:

I expect Sutter to spend most of his time as the 3rd line pivot but I'd love to see him get some time with Geno and Neal.
Having a RHS who is that good in the dot and isn't a 4th liner, I think we are going to see Sutter in a lot of different situations. He took more FO's last year than anyone on the Pens. He's popped in a few PP goals too, wouldn't be surprised to see him in the dot on the PP, then jump off once we had possession.

vyktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:51 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
QUESTION:

I have not watched a lot of WBS this year and thus really have seen next to nothing of Bennett.

On the one hand, I'm hearing stuff about the skill, and I read what Bomboulie (a guy not given to wanton praise) tweets . . .

On the other hand, the kid has had his share of injuries, and you worry about him being physically ready . . .

Would you open the season with Bennett and give him a shot with #71 and #18?

Personally, I always saw him as a better prospective fit, given the lack of physicality, with #87 and #14, but I'm guessing that the open spot in the top six is with Geno and Neal.
BB I'd like to see with Malkin and Tangradi with Crosby.

Malkin can be a trigger man with BB riding shotgun and Tangradi doesn't play well with him, but has a little chemistry with Crosby.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:04 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
BB I'd like to see with Malkin and Tangradi with Crosby.

Malkin can be a trigger man with BB riding shotgun and Tangradi doesn't play well with him, but has a little chemistry with Crosby.
Actually, I always liked how Tangradi looked with Crosby and Kunitz in the 2009-2010 preseason. Yeah, it was preseason, but you saw a definite line chemistry at work there.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:29 AM
bigd

Quote:
QUESTION:

I have not watched a lot of WBS this year and thus really have seen next to nothing of Bennett.

On the one hand, I'm hearing stuff about the skill, and I read what Bomboulie (a guy not given to wanton praise) tweets . . .

On the other hand, the kid has had his share of injuries, and you worry about him being physically ready . . .

Would you open the season with Bennett and give him a shot with #71 and #18?

Personally, I always saw him as a better prospective fit, given the lack of physicality, with #87 and #14, but I'm guessing that the open spot in the top six is with Geno and Neal.
I don't know if he will stick out of camp. The problem is he's a top line prospect so you're not going to have him play as a 3rd or 4th liner. I just don't think he's ready to beat out a vet for that second line spot. Tangradi, right now, is a perfect 3rd liner that may be able to move up with more experience. But Bennett is definetly the best prospect we have down in WBS.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:16 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Not shocked to hear Disco's comment. Means:

A) Bennett is getting the Morrow treatment, nothing more.
B) Jeffrey and Tangradi will probably fight for Kunitz's spot.
C) Kennedy can stay where he is.

Kunitz - Sid - Dupuis
Jeffrey / Tango - Geno - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - TK

Works for me; though not ideal we can still compete with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
I don't know if he will stick out of camp. The problem is he's a top line prospect so you're not going to have him play as a 3rd or 4th liner. I just don't think he's ready to beat out a vet for that second line spot. Tangradi, right now, is a perfect 3rd liner that may be able to move up with more experience. But Bennett is definetly the best prospect we have down in WBS.

Yeah, I'm very, very excited about Bennett's future, but I just don't think he's a 200-foot NHL player yet, especially if he's on one of the top lines going up against other teams' best Dmen and top forward lines. So, as Chi-Chi said, we'll give him the Morrow treatment: show him a taste in training camp, and send him back down afterwards.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:24 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Time to say goodbye to useless Adams & Dupuis.
Dupuis' value to the team >> Kennedy unless and until he starts asking for substantially more money.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:26 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
Yeah, I'm very, very excited about Bennett's future, but I just don't think he's a 200-foot NHL player yet, especially if he's on one of the top lines going up against other teams' best Dmen and top forward lines. So, as Chi-Chi said, we'll give him the Morrow treatment: show him a taste in training camp, and send him back down afterwards.
It's too bad we probably won't have any pre-season games for him to partake in but not the end of the world.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:29 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
It's too bad we probably won't have any pre-season games for him to partake in but not the end of the world.

Yeah, and I don't mind at all to give him some games here and there if there is an injury situation. But I don't think he's ready for the condensed season and playoff grind. But I don't deny that, perhaps, that could change if he continues to elevate his game to an elite level in WBS. Anything's possible later, but he'll start in WBS, barring injury.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:31 AM
wgknestrick

Quote:
Dupuis' value to the team >> Kennedy unless and until he starts asking for substantially more money.
You are absolutely right, but I would only use one ">".

Get ready for his salary increase if his play is anything like last year (which I doubt due to regression). Most players don't have their best year at age 32-33. He is a solid, 2 way, top 6 winger and is still significantly better than any player we traded to acquire him. We all hope Dupers is a team player and stays a Pen for life. He has never really made much money so this is his last chance to cash in. I wouldn't blame him for leaving for more money.

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:31 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Jmelm: If he keeps working hard, Bennett might see a few games at the end of the season like Despres did last year. And hopefully we're healthy but if not, he might even get a taste of the playoffs if we make it in.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:53 AM
Anderson55

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Time to say goodbye to useless Adams & Dupuis.

Bennett/Tangradi/Jeffrey-Malkin-Neal
Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett/Tangradi/Jeffrey
Bennett/Tangradi/Jeffrey-Sutter-Kennedy
Cooke-Vitale-Glass
Get a clue

Anderson55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:58 AM
Flat Stanley

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Arnott/Sutter-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter/Arnott-Kennedy
Glass-Vitale-Adams

Sign Arnott

EDIT: But that would take a younger guy's opportunity.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:19 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Arnott/Sutter-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter/Arnott-Kennedy
Glass-Vitale-Adams

Sign Arnott

EDIT: But that would take a younger guy's opportunity.
What's going on with Brian Rolston? He had 15 points in 21 regular season games for the Bruins.

MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:41 PM
wej20

Rolston's done.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:55 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Rolston's done.
Pretty much all of those guys are, and the ones who aren't are on exhaust fumes.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:56 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

"Most of those guys never had a prime...."

Old
01-08-2013, 12:57 PM
KIRK

Quote:
"Most of those guys never had a prime...."
Hey Chancellor, how would you like to coach the Pens this year?

Old
01-08-2013, 01:00 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Hey Chancellor, how would you like to coach the Pens this year?
Awww I dunnno, Charlie... I got a guy on the other line about some white walls.... I'll talk to ya later!

Could quote the entire movie start to finish.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:04 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Awww I dunnno, Charlie... I got a guy on the other line about some white walls.... I'll talk to ya later!

Could quote the entire movie start to finish.
You and me both.

BTW, I've always kind of figured that Cole is a Usual Suspects guy. Can see him watching DB's system on game tape and only able to say 'I can't feel my legs, Kaiser'.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:16 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
You and me both.

BTW, I've always kind of figured that Cole is a Usual Suspects guy. Can see him watching DB's system on game tape and only able to say 'I can't feel my legs, Kaiser'.
I know, I know, KIRK. You want me playing defense. I can block shots and hit. My gap control is tremendous. But I'm not taking a deal less than 5M per year. Sorry.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 05:32 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I know, I know, KIRK. You want me playing defense. I can block shots and hit. My gap control is tremendous. But I'm not taking a deal less than 5M per year. Sorry.
Sorry, we already have a 5M defenseman who can do all of those things . . .

Old
01-08-2013, 08:21 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
Dude, training camp is like a week long, with no exhibition games lol. He'll start the season with us, but from there, I'm not sure what happens.

He's already a pro, correct, so that 10 game tryout/send him down without burning years won't fly right? At what point would he have to clear waivers? Would he have to clear waivers? How will all this play out with this shortened season?

M0NTY26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:41 PM
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOOTANDSCORE View Post
(John McClane)Glass? Who gives a **** about glass? Who the **** is this?(/John McClane)
I just filled Facebook with quote after quote from that flick while watching it last night. So damn good.

mrzeigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:41 PM
Jag68Sid87

Bennett won't need a 9-game trial and he doesn't need waivers to be sent down this season. But I'd be shocked (pleasantly) if he's given any shot at the opening in our top six.

As for Sutter playing in the top six...lol...here we go again.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:11 PM
Jacob

My concern is that a lot of teams, including the Penguins, don't seem to know when it's time to send a young guy back down. If he makes the team, great, but if at any point he's not playing top 6 minutes or not producing like a top 6 forward he needs to go down. Teams seem to think this'll hurt their confidence and instead start scratching them or playing them on the 4th line or whatnot. That can't happen, especially not with someone that played all of 10 games last season and hasn't really faced a lot of elite competition in his career.

Anyway, I think he'll make the team to start. Whether he sticks or not is hard to say. It's a long season, a tough schedule, and he's a guy that hasn't played more than 30some games in a season in a few years. But he's done nothing but prove me wrong so far this year, maybe he's just one of those guys that just goes out there and just kills it, and never looks back.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote