HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Swedes won't come to NHL untill they're 22? (Mod edit: not quite)

Old
01-07-2013, 12:24 PM
Kshahdoo

vCash: 500
Swedes won't come to NHL untill they're 22? (Mod edit: not quite)

Well, I've read about the subject on a Russian site. Where they say, Sweden Federation prohibits all players U22 to go to NA. And the new agreement with NHL garantees this rule.

To me it sounds strange so I'm not sure whether it's a truth or a lie.

Last edited by Kshahdoo: 01-07-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Kshahdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:25 PM
Xokkeu

Already debunked

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:27 PM
f1nn

vCash: 1312
Send a message via AIM to f1nn
How can they enforce this? if the players not under contract they can do whatever they want right? I guess they could say that if you leave for NA you won't be allowed to play for Tre Kronor which would probably make them think twice but sounds awfully silly to me

EDIT: yeah thought it sounded not real

f1nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:30 PM
cheerupmurray

NHL-clubs now have four years to sign swedes (all european I think?) in stead of two, if I am not wrong. This will definitely mean more swedes drafted, since NHL-teams now can afford to draft players that are more of a longterm projects. This will probably also mean that swedes stay longer in SEL and develop there in stead of being rushed to NHL/AHL.

cheerupmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:31 PM
joe89

Well, the Swedish hockey federation has itself to blame. They had a press release worded like that. They're just trying to sugarcoat the deal.

The main issue for Swedish hockey has been non-NHL calibre players going from the SEL to AHL at age 20. NHL clubs can now wait longer and don't have to rush prospects, and the Swedish clubs will have a longer benefit from developing an own player.

The cream of the crop will still be in the NHL at 20, don't worry.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:48 PM
YARR123

Was this agreement just with Swedish federation and the NHL or in general?

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:53 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Sounds like it would just reinstate the previous conditions, where NHL teams had 4 years to sign any European draftees before relinquishing rights, rather than the more recent situation with just 2 years (i.e. treating them the same as NA players). Makes waaaay more sense this way, the Euro players will get better development options and teams can draft them with more assurance. It's just an NHL rights retention rule, nothing to do with other leagues or federations or anything.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:38 PM
romelson

Send a message via MSN to romelson
There are only winners with this agreement.
-The NHL clubs get more time to evaluate their european draft picks before signing them.
-The european clubs get to keep the prospects longer. Of course, the super prospects will still head over at 18 or 19, but most of the draftees will stay longer in europe.

In the end, there will be less europeans that get NHL contracts, but those who dont get it, are those who wouldnt have made it anyway.

Maybe the AHL is loser to the deal since there will be less leftover europeans for them..

romelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:57 PM
Yabob

The 4 years only apply to players drafted at 18.

If the player was 19 at the time he got drafted it will be 3 years and if he was 20 it will be 2 years.

Yabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:59 PM
cheerupmurray

This will give european clubs even more incentive to have a good junior program. Now there is a better chance their prospects stay another season or two, instead of losing the players to AHL as soon as they are important pieces on the team.

cheerupmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:00 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by romelson View Post
-The NHL clubs get more time to evaluate their european draft picks before signing them.
-The european clubs get to keep the prospects longer. Of course, the super prospects will still head over at 18 or 19, but most of the draftees will stay longer in europe.

In the end, there will be less europeans that get NHL contracts, but those who dont get it, are those who wouldnt have made it anyway.

Maybe the AHL is loser to the deal since there will be less leftover europeans for them..
I think European players shouldn't be spending too much time in the AHL anyway. If they need a dozen games or so to get used to the North American game then that's a good use for it. However if they are going to spend a couple seasons down there, I almost think it'd be better for everybody if they stayed home. Young players especially would do better often to stay close to home.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:01 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerupmurray View Post
NHL-clubs now have four years to sign swedes (all european I think?) in stead of two, if I am not wrong. This will definitely mean more swedes drafted, since NHL-teams now can afford to draft players that are more of a longterm projects. This will probably also mean that swedes stay longer in SEL and develop there in stead of being rushed to NHL/AHL.
Does this apply to Swedish players already drafted or just moving forward?

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:02 PM
s7ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Already debunked
This. It was a mistranslation. Swedish players can come over the NA at whatever age. All that is different is that NA teams don't lose the rights to Swedish players that stay in the SEL until they are 22.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:04 PM
TheKingSlayer
He was in the way!

I love that they went back to this rule. Many many Euros are late bloomers and/or develop better in EU than in NA so giving them 4 yrs instead of 2 only makes sense.

TheKingSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:08 PM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by romelson View Post

I agree. I've been hoping for a deal just like this for quite a few years. Perfect for everybody involved.

Riddarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:09 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Does this apply to Swedish players already drafted or just moving forward?
I'd guess that it's not retroactive and just applies to players drafted for the duration of this agreement.
That's usually the case with new transfer agreements.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:17 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

This would be extra sweet if they also added a round or two back to the draft as well. With extra retention, you can have 8 or 9 rounds more readily again too.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:51 PM
Coffe

Teams in Hockeyallsvenskan (Tier 2) might not like this from a financial point of view as they lose the educational fee (for lack of better name) if they have a player who gets drafted and subsequently signs with an SEL-team, and plays there for four seasons, and then sign with the NHL-team.

Coffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:33 PM
Yabob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
I'd guess that it's not retroactive and just applies to players drafted for the duration of this agreement.
That's usually the case with new transfer agreements.
It's part of the new CBA. Didn't the teams have to sign a lot of players or lose their rights last time it was changed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffe View Post
Teams in Hockeyallsvenskan (Tier 2) might not like this from a financial point of view as they lose the educational fee (for lack of better name) if they have a player who gets drafted and subsequently signs with an SEL-team, and plays there for four seasons, and then sign with the NHL-team.
On the other hand the SEL teams will probably have less players to replace, which might mean that the teams in Hockeyallsvenskan will lose less, older, players to the SEL.

Anyway, the transfer agreement between the NHL and Sweden expired last summer and negotiations were put on hold until the new CBA was done.... so who knows what the financial side will look like in the new agreement, which is yet to be negotiated.

Yabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:01 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabob View Post
Didn't the teams have to sign a lot of players or lose their rights last time it was changed?.
yes, but they did it in chunks over a couple years. I remember cause I was worried about the Habs losing the rights to Konstantin Korneev ('02).

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:09 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Great news ! It will allow players to develop for as long as they need to before making the jump to the NHL. I bet more Swedes get drafted in the following years. Tremendous talent coming out of Sweden.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote