HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

TV Ratings?

Old
01-06-2013, 10:24 PM
FuriousSenator

vCash: 500
TV Ratings?

Anyone have the TV ratings for the tournament? Maybe broken down by game and by country?

For example, how many Swedes and Americans tuned into the final?

Could be interesting.

FuriousSenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:34 PM
FuriousSenator

No numbers but an encouraging read:

http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2013...usa-fans-that/

FuriousSenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:40 PM
bottomofthefoodchain

500k in Sweden, so about 1/18 of the country.

No wait that was last year So probably better this year considering it didn't start at 3 am

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:04 AM
Statsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdTheSabresFan View Post
No numbers but an encouraging read:

http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2013...usa-fans-that/
Good article. An interesting bonus the tournament got this year is the lack of actual NHL hockey meant that the coverage on NHL.com was pretty much wall-to-wall. Those that were already NHL fans, but maybe not too familiar with the tournament itself, recieved a pretty good introduction through constant reports, blogs, analysis, and video on the world's top hockey website (after HF, of course ).

Statsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:39 AM
razor ray

The USA just needed to get more competitive in international hockey and the fans followed. It should snowball as international hockey is great to watch and America is producing more starts to watch as well.

razor ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:39 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

I doubt many people watched in Finland, due to games being in the morning and on pay-tv. Hard core fans watched via pirate streams.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:41 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

1.3 million watched the game in Sweden, not counting the ones who watched it on SVT's official online feed.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:49 AM
BobDobolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
I doubt many people watched in Finland, due to games being in the morning and on pay-tv. Hard core fans watched via pirate streams.
What kind of a hardcore fan doesn't pay for his or her hockey?

BobDobolina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:54 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
The ones in Finland where pay-tv is a mess, expensive and people would rather pay prostitutes than MTV3.

Note: I paid 14 euros to watch all of Finland's games via their website, got to see 4 ****** games. I feel dirty...

Old
01-07-2013, 08:55 AM
BobDobolina

Quote:
The ones in Finland where pay-tv is a mess, expensive and people would rather pay prostitutes than MTV3.
How much is it then?

Old
01-07-2013, 08:59 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
How much is it then?
If you want to watch the Team Finland's games, SM-Liiga and NHL you basically have to buy three packages, costing somewhere in the region of 40-60 euros a month. Though next season SM-Liiga and NHL are on one network but it's still not going to be cheap.

Last edited by Jussi: 01-07-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old
01-07-2013, 09:12 AM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Quote:
How much is it then?
24,95€ ($32,90)/month for MTV3 Total, which hockey-wise only brings you national team games.

If you want to see SM-Liiga, you have to buy UrhoTV. The online service is rubbish, so I won't even check the prices. TV access fee is 19,95€ ($26,30)/month. And hockey is basically all Urho has, the rest is useless.

NHL and HockeyAllsvenskan? Then it's again 19,95€/month for Nelonen Pro.

KHL or Elitserien? I have no idea anymore who has those rights...

You can see why us Finnish sportsfans are a bit irritated by the pay-TV scenery. It's 65€/month + all extra fees if you want to see more than one league.

Pajicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:16 AM
BobDobolina

Quote:
Note: I paid 14 euros to watch all of Finland's games via their website, got to see 4 ****** games. I feel dirty...
Well there you go. That doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:32 AM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Quote:
Well there you go. That doesn't sound unreasonable to me.
Maybe it doesn't, but paying for watching TV isn't really a part of Finnish culture. Probably has something to do with the fact that we already have to pay a fee for the right to own a TV...

Pajicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:37 AM
doakacola*

US Interest

The US interest in the tourney is growing in the hockey community. However
its still non - existent as a sports news worthy item. This writer is going way overboard.

doakacola* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:50 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
1.3 million watched the game in Sweden, not counting the ones who watched it on SVT's official online feed.
mms.se(using the same rating system as TSN) has the final at 996k. 1.3M sounds like the peak in that case.

In the semifinal, svtplay had 500k views and 30k viewers on average. I bet that was higher in the final.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:18 AM
SPMaximus
Re-sign=/=Resign

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajicz View Post
24,95€ ($32,90)/month for MTV3 Total, which hockey-wise only brings you national team games.

If you want to see SM-Liiga, you have to buy UrhoTV. The online service is rubbish, so I won't even check the prices. TV access fee is 19,95€ ($26,30)/month. And hockey is basically all Urho has, the rest is useless.

NHL and HockeyAllsvenskan? Then it's again 19,95€/month for Nelonen Pro.

KHL or Elitserien? I have no idea anymore who has those rights...

You can see why us Finnish sportsfans are a bit irritated by the pay-TV scenery. It's 65€/month + all extra fees if you want to see more than one league.
you can watch on URHOs amazingly cheap and reliable online streaming service for 12 euros/game, 40 euros for 5 games or 70 euros for 10 games

they also have a season pass but they arent selling it right now, they probably want your first-born for it

SPMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:39 PM
mahagga73

Quote:
It's the same thing here, most the US games were on at 3am central time. Also, the games were on NHL network, which is usually on a pay for view monthly tier of satellite or cable TV, an extra 15 bucks a month or so. I gladly pay it , international hockey rules.

mahagga73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:43 PM
mahagga73

Quote:
Yeah, international hockey is must see. I missed last year because I couldn't get the NHL Network . I switched up to get a provider that does. 13 bucks a month for me is a small price to pay .

Old
01-07-2013, 01:46 PM
mahagga73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajicz View Post
Maybe it doesn't, but paying for watching TV isn't really a part of Finnish culture. Probably has something to do with the fact that we already have to pay a fee for the right to own a TV...
You have to pay for the right to own a TV? wow. I thought the USA had the market cornered on consumer tax abuse. People in the US gladly pay over 150 bucks a month for TV .They complain but in the end they pay.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:54 PM
mahagga73

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor ray View Post
The USA just needed to get more competitive in international hockey and the fans followed. It should snowball as international hockey is great to watch and America is producing more starts to watch as well.
We will see, they have said the same thing about golf and soccer. Never materialized. I love hockey , but have totally given up defending it to morons and the naysayers who don't know what the hell they are talking about. They just don't see the beauty in the game and a lot of them never will. I think it will grow in popularity to a certain point because more kids are playing than ever but it isn't going to get close to surpassing or matching the other big 3 sports , because half the country lives in warm climates.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:12 PM
Thesensation19

The World Juniors def got a boost from the NHL lockout but it also did not help much that in NA it was 430am and 8am.

For the US it was worse because the games were on NHLnetwork and many people including me do not have that channel. I watched 1 group game on live stream, 1 rerun of the game on TV when at a friends and got up early to go to a friends to watch the WJC finals but i showed up 30 min late due to early morning and long drive. Yet I know many who was aware of the game, many who got up to watch and many who were happy.

And this is in NY Long Island. South new york.

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:28 PM
Statsy

People have to realize that twenty years ago this tournament was unknown even in Canada. It takes time, and for nations to have success at the event to turn on their fan base. Every great game that people watch will turn a group of people that aren't fans into casual fans or casual fans into true believers...and there are a lot of great games in this tourney. Every game and championship won is a new set of memories imprinted upon an impressionable new generation that tomorrow will become hockey's hardcover fans. It's a journey of a thousand steps, but make no mistake...we are on our way.

Statsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:20 PM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statsy View Post
People have to realize that twenty years ago this tournament was unknown even in Canada. It takes time, and for nations to have success at the event to turn on their fan base. Every great game that people watch will turn a group of people that aren't fans into casual fans or casual fans into true believers...and there are a lot of great games in this tourney. Every game and championship won is a new set of memories imprinted upon an impressionable new generation that tomorrow will become hockey's hardcover fans. It's a journey of a thousand steps, but make no mistake...we are on our way.
I think its more that a lot of people who have been to WJHC realize that the tournament is not played at that high a level and that the reason it is big in Canada is because TSN found a way to get programming on around Christmas that could draw ratings while nothing else was on.

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:12 PM
Trotzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahagga73 View Post
You have to pay for the right to own a TV? wow. I thought the USA had the market cornered on consumer tax abuse. People in the US gladly pay over 150 bucks a month for TV .They complain but in the end they pay.
I guess it's probably the same in Finland as here in Sweden -- we pay for independent public service radio and TV. Kind of like PBS in America I'd guess, but not nearly as ****** as I understand it.

On the flipside, you have to be insanely creative to spend 150$ a month for cable/sat in Sweden.

Trotzig is offline   Reply With Quote