HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Caps training camp thread

Old
01-12-2013, 10:17 AM
G3 LesPaul

vCash: 500
The entire team played solid defense last year, Green included.

What I don't like is when green is allowed to be aggressive and attacking, this when he makes all his mistakes, so hopefully Oates can put a damper on those errors

G3 LesPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 10:32 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
The entire team played solid defense last year, Green included.

What I don't like is when green is allowed to be aggressive and attacking, this when he makes all his mistakes, so hopefully Oates can put a damper on those errors
Toward the end of the season, they played solid D, right? I hope they keep the emphasis on D... but who knows. Guess we'll see.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 11:08 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Green had lasik eye surgery 2 days ago...

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 11:09 AM
Ridley Simon

the problem....

as I see it, is this short season will be all about "quick cohesion". There are a good 12 teams in the east with the talent to make the top 8 slots (Caps being one of them), and any team that starts off having cohesion issues will be in trouble.

If you really break it down, Pitts, NYR, Boston should be in the top 8, no matter what. So that leaves 5 slots for the rest of the teams to fight over.

Caps are one of the teams most hurt by the "short camp/no preseason games" situation with a new coach, and a wildly new system (from Hunters). They are already adding a few new faces (Ribiero and Wolski), so I would be very surprised to see them add more new faces in trade. At least, not at the start.

*If* things start slowly, and the team needs a major spark, *then* I could see a big trade to jolt the masses. But I wouldnt look to seeing this team with any major trades done before the season unfolds, as they have too much changes going on as it is.

Ridley Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 11:21 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
So home opener is 19th or 20th apparently. The schedule has each team playing a home/away for a back to back to start off the season.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 11:34 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
as I see it, is this short season will be all about "quick cohesion". There are a good 12 teams in the east with the talent to make the top 8 slots (Caps being one of them), and any team that starts off having cohesion issues will be in trouble.

If you really break it down, Pitts, NYR, Boston should be in the top 8, no matter what. So that leaves 5 slots for the rest of the teams to fight over.

Caps are one of the teams most hurt by the "short camp/no preseason games" situation with a new coach, and a wildly new system (from Hunters). They are already adding a few new faces (Ribiero and Wolski), so I would be very surprised to see them add more new faces in trade. At least, not at the start.

*If* things start slowly, and the team needs a major spark, *then* I could see a big trade to jolt the masses. But I wouldnt look to seeing this team with any major trades done before the season unfolds, as they have too much changes going on as it is.
Good post... and you're spot-on. Haven't heard anyone else say this, and it rings the bell of truth. Hard to think anyone would disagree.

Looks to me like the lockout has given us a benefit unlooked for: the layoff seems to have sharpened many of the writers here.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 12:41 PM
jameswrjobe53

vCash: 492
btw we signed fehr...

jameswrjobe53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 12:44 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswrjobe53 View Post
btw we signed fehr...
We did?

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 12:51 PM
Dr John Carlson
Emotional Boys 2001

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
We did?
Yep.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/capitals-watch/2013/jan/12/capitals-sign-eric-fehr-one-year-deal/

Dr John Carlson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 01:00 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
a basic reality is that an offensive defenseman is going to vulnerable to mistakes and turnovers when he is aggressive and attacking. by definition you are not being safe and conservative when doing that.

what makes green special are the skills that he can apply when in attack mode that other offensive defensemen dont have.

if you want mike green to play like tom poti with the puck, then there's no point in paying him for mike green level skills.

the thing is that ovechkin and backstrom in particular are much more dangerous and the team as a whole a different team when mike green is on his game and allowed to play it.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 01:01 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswrjobe53 View Post
btw we signed fehr...

Old
01-12-2013, 01:13 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post

i am not sure i see your logic. you say the caps need to quick cohesion and to get those new pieces and new coach on the same page. you then say that if they struggle with that the solution will be more big changes. those two things are in conflict with each other.

if they struggle with the changes, they need more cohesion and more stability, not less.

Old
01-12-2013, 01:23 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Its good to have could have had Getzlaf back.

We need a big RH shot. If you ever envisioned him of being our 1RW, you may yet be right.

Count me in on anyone else saying he was unfehrly in Bruce's doghouse.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 01:29 PM
mirasane

There were about 20 lockout players in FEL this season. Of all of them only Erik Karlsson was better that Fehr.

Fehr seemed to be 110% healthy and played with a great attitude every single shift.

Here are the ppg averages of all players in FEL this season that show what I am talking about:
http://www.eliteprospects.com/league...ame=&order=PPG

I think he just might surprise some caps fans positively this season. And if he does he is quite a steal with that salary.

mirasane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 01:42 PM
Vabeachblue

Part of Greens game is jumping into the rush, no reason to pay him 6 million a year to not use his best asset.

Vabeachblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 01:46 PM
amjay13

Fehr is still young and comes in dirt cheap. The Caps really have nothing to lose with this signing.

amjay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 01:47 PM
Capitlols

Fehr, seriously? Why not bring Knuble back or a center like Dominic Moore?

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 02:07 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Instead of trying your usual spin job you resorted to emoticons? It's Ok to admit that you were wrong. I really don't think an organization would bring back a player they thought was lazy and didn't try his best during rehab.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 02:16 PM
butters8814

With fehr's luck, he would get a pulled hammy and miss the whole year.

butters8814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 02:21 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

he was only let go of last year because he was making 2.2 mill, paycut to 600k and he is affordable for caps.

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 03:13 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
Green had lasik eye surgery 2 days ago...
Now if we can only get Captain Whiff/Shank to do the same thing...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 03:26 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Over under number of games before we see Fehr acting like his shoulder popped... vegas says 9.5

C'mon Poti needs to be next

We are getting the old band back together

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 03:34 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Instead of trying your usual spin job you resorted to emoticons? It's Ok to admit that you were wrong. I really don't think an organization would bring back a player they thought was lazy and didn't try his best during rehab.
my usual spin job? i am laughing that they signed him. who says i was wrong that signing him is a waste of time? they are going to give him a shot. its free...or almost. if he sticks and does something with it, then i am wrong. if they sign him and nothing comes of it, was i wrong?

Old
01-12-2013, 03:35 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
For that price, it's worth the risk......he wasn't 100 % with the Jets and obviously showed he can still play while in Finland

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 03:44 PM
G3 LesPaul

Bold prediction.

Fehr plays more games than Green

G3 LesPaul is offline   Reply With Quote