HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

More impressive feat?

View Poll Results: More impressive accomplishment?
2 PPG 117 68.82%
literal PPG 53 31.18%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-08-2013, 04:06 PM
Schalkenullvier*

vCash: 500
More impressive feat?

Which of the feats below would you consider more impressive in this day and age?

a) Going 2 PPG over a whole 82 game NHL season

or

b) Going a literal PPG over a season, so scoring exactly one point in every of the 82 games

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:14 PM
Jonimaus

I must be stupid or something, but I don't get it.

Are you asking what is more impressive, getting 164 points or getting 82 points?

Or does the 2nd one mean that you scored 82 goals?

Edit: must be 82 point streak vs 164 spread!

Last edited by Jonimaus: 01-08-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Jonimaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:17 PM
Peter Tagli Eddie
All 3 of them?

vCash: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonimaus View Post

Are you asking what is more impressive, getting 164 points or getting 82 points?

It means 164 pts vs 82 game point streak.... I think?

Peter Tagli Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:18 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonimaus View Post

We must either both be stupid or massively overthinking the question.

As stated above I think it means an 82 game scoring streak vs 164 points. (Although I never would have thought of that if you didn't say it, haha)

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:18 PM
Frozen Fiend
DOUBLE D

He means getting exactly one point in every game compared to a player who scores 2 ppg.

This is not close... at all.

Frozen Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:22 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

B, by far.

164 points has been hit 10 times. 2 points per game over a full season has been done 16 times.

Nobody has even come remotely close to an 82 game point streak. In fact, only twice has somebody even gotten halfway there.

Everything listed above is Gretzky and Lemieux btw. All of it.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:25 PM
TheSilverSkeeter

vCash: 1924
Obviously, 164 points in an 82-game NHL season would be incredible, but I went with the literal point-per-game. I'd find it more impressive simply because it's never happened before.

TheSilverSkeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:26 PM
Minimalist*

I think he means 84 points (2 points over ppg) spread out with multipoint games, or 82 points with 1 in each game?

At least I'd hope so. 164 points is the obvious answer otherwise.

Minimalist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:32 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

I don't care if it is only 82 points. If a player were to get a point in every game in an 82 game season it would the be greatest accomplishment in NHL history.

People obviously don't understand how impossible that is, unlike choice A which has been done before many times. Albeit by hockey gods, yes, but those same gods didn't even come close to getting a point in every game.

Old
01-08-2013, 04:32 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimalist View Post
I think he means 84 points (2 points over ppg) spread out with multipoint games, or 82 points with 1 in each game?

At least I'd hope so. 164 points is the obvious answer otherwise.
Yeah that must be it. After re-reading it a couple of times I do get what he ment. I'm tired

Last edited by Jonimaus: 01-08-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Jonimaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:34 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Just read it guys, it's not that vague.

Old
01-08-2013, 04:41 PM
SnowblindNYR

Yep, exactly one has been done before and the other most likely will never be accomplished. I'd prefer the 164 point guy on my team, but the 82 point streak guy would make the far greater accomplishment.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:42 PM
MastuhNinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
B, by far.

164 points has been hit 10 times. 2 points per game over a full season has been done 16 times.

Nobody has even come remotely close to an 82 game point streak. In fact, only twice has somebody even gotten halfway there.

Everything listed above is Gretzky and Lemieux btw. All of it.
More rare does not mean more impressive.

Getting a point per game really just comes down to luck, getting 2 points per game means you're a generational talent. I mean obviously it takes talent to score a point every single game, but the reason that the Gretzkys and Lemieuxs of the World haven't done it isn't because they didn't have the necessary talent, it's because they just that eventually over the course of an 82 game season they got unlucky and didn't score.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
More rare does not mean more impressive.

Getting a point per game really just comes down to luck, getting 2 points per game means you're a generational talent. I mean obviously it takes talent to score a point every single game, but the reason that the Gretzkys and Lemieuxs of the World haven't done it isn't because they didn't have the necessary talent, it's because they just that eventually over the course of an 82 game season they got unlucky and didn't score.
Not scoring every night isn't a matter of being unlucky. It's a matter of the feat being impossible. We're talking about something impossible vs something that's been done multiple times. I should think doing the impossible is more impressive.

If Gretzky had scored in 80 different games one year, then we could talk about luck. His career high points streak is 51 that doesn't even approach a range where luck could come into play.

I'm not even sure there's ever been a team that's scored every game, let alone a player.

Old
01-08-2013, 04:50 PM
M Gaz
Au revoir Shosanna!

Both are impossible in today's NHL, but I'd rather have a 164 point season. This poll should be much closer.

M Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:54 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Not scoring every night isn't a matter of being unlucky. It's a matter of the feat being impossible. We're talking about something impossible vs something that's been done multiple times. I should think doing the impossible is more impressive.

If Gretzky had scored in 80 different games one year, then we could talk about luck. His career high points streak is 51 that doesn't even approach a range where luck could come into play.

I'm not even sure there's ever been a team that's scored every game, let alone a player.
To add to your point, Gretzky's point streak would be the equivalent of a player hitting in approximately 92 games in a row in an regular 162 MLB season which is impossible. It's not the most comparable, but a good measuring stick. A streak of 82 games in a row would mark the most consistent a player has ever played. Not to mention, by the very definition of it, it would mean that you team was guaranteed one goal a game, every game of the season. Your winning percentage would be so inflated.

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 05:03 PM
HavlatMach9

Well if Gretzky ever wanted to troll, he could probably do 2 points each game and it'd be more impressive.

HavlatMach9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 05:05 PM
SirPaste

A for sure

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 05:07 PM
silkyjohnson50

Scoring twice as many points is more impressive and I don't even think it's close.

Streaks are neat and all, but often times things have to perfectly fall into place for them to happen.

If a baseball player went on a 162 game hitting streak and hit .300 it would be nuts. With that being said, I'd still be more impressed by somebody hitting .600 over the course of a season.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 05:18 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
Scoring twice as many points is more impressive and I don't even think it's close.

Streaks are neat and all, but often times things have to perfectly fall into place for them to happen.

If a baseball player went on a 162 game hitting streak and hit .300 it would be nuts. With that being said, I'd still be more impressed by somebody hitting .600 over the course of a season.
That's not comparable at all. 164 points has been reached before. It would be more like hitting .400. Is 164 points possible in today's NHL?? Technically yes. There is no way anyone could ever hit 162 games in a row. And there will never be anyone who has a point a game for 82 games.

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 05:24 PM
Sky04

164 points not close, 82 game point streak still only amounts to 82 points..

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 05:28 PM
MastuhNinks

Quote:

Just because Gretzky had a 51 game scoring streak does not mean he only scored in 51 games. If he were to score in 41 straight games, miss a game and then score 40 straight again, that's just as close to scoring a point per game as going 81 straight games. So just looking at the longest point streak is not really the way to deduce how based on luck it is.

In 1985-1986 Gretzky scores 215 points, he had points on just over half of his team's goals. Now, I'm not going to take the time to go through the box score of each and every game that year, but just going by averages, his team failed to score 2 goals only twice in the season. Going by the premise that Gretzky registered a point for every 2nd Edmonton goal, Gretzky would have registered a point in all but two games that season. Now, obviously that's far from scientific, but I think you get the point. It really is just a matter of luck, it's not impossible, just extremely unlikely because it's based on luck and not pure talent. It's fallacious to say it's impossible just because it hasn't happened.

Point streaks are based on luck more than they are talent, which is why if you look at the highest scoring seasons of all time it's much more of a who's-who of the league's historic offensive elites than the league's all time point streak leaders. Why do you think Mats Sundin has a better points streak than Bobby Orr or Gordie Howe? Because he got lucky for a stretch, and they didn't.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 05:28 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
164 points not close, 82 game point streak still only amounts to 82 points..
It's not about the points totals. It's an inhuman level of consistency.

Old
01-08-2013, 05:30 PM
DanZ

B, quite obviously. 164 points have been scored in a season several times, while at 82 game point streak has never even come close to happening. How can 164 points be more impressive if it's happened before while an 82 game point streak has not? Even post lockout, players have come closer to 164 points (didn't Thornton get 125?) than they have come to an 82 game point streak. I don't know how anyone could vote for A, unless they didn't really think it out all that much

DanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 05:39 PM
DanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
Just because Gretzky had a 51 game scoring streak does not mean he only scored in 51 games. If he were to score in 41 straight games, miss a game and then score 40 straight again, that's just as close to scoring a point per game as going 81 straight games. So just looking at the longest point streak is not really the way to deduce how based on luck it is.

In 1985-1986 Gretzky scores 215 points, he had points on just over half of his team's goals. Now, I'm not going to take the time to go through the box score of each and every game that year, but just going by averages, his team failed to score 2 goals only twice in the season. Going by the premise that Gretzky registered a point for every 2nd Edmonton goal, Gretzky would have registered a point in all but two games that season. Now, obviously that's far from scientific, but I think you get the point. It really is just a matter of luck, it's not impossible, just extremely unlikely because it's based on luck and not pure talent. It's fallacious to say it's impossible just because it hasn't happened.

Point streaks are based on luck more than they are talent, which is why if you look at the highest scoring seasons of all time it's much more of a who's-who of the league's historic offensive elites than the league's all time point streak leaders. Why do you think Mats Sundin has a better points streak than Bobby Orr or Gordie Howe? Because he got lucky for a stretch, and they didn't.
Any player that scores a point every game for 82 straight games has way more than luck going for him. Sure there is luck involved, but there is also luck involved in scoring 164 points in a season. It's not like 100% of those points were pure skill. And the statistical likelihood of a player scoring a point every game for 82 straight is so small, it can't be anything but more impressive. At a certain point it wouldn't be luck anymore, it would just be skill and talent. Every team would be focusing their defensive attack on this theoretical player, but somehow he would still hypothetically maintain this streak? It would be incredible, and would blow the next longest points streak of all time out of the water. I don't think there are many records out there that would be soo far above second place...

DanZ is offline   Reply With Quote