HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Botterill retires

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2005, 03:40 PM
sabrefan27

vCash: 500
Botterill retires

http://www.theahl.com/AHL/News/2005/02/24/941203.html

He'll be missed. Class guy. Unfortuante his career had to end like this. We've seen it before here with Craig Fisher.

Back to the hockey, now that he's officially done, you have to go out and sign someone. Because you know other teams will begin to load up, like Manitoba, and if the Amerks sit around with what we have, suddenly we might not be at the top anymore. I know people will use the excuse that we've got this far even without Botterill, so why bother wasting the money? Problem is that others teams won't just sit around and the Amerks might lose the edge they have right now.

I don't know who they could get. I know a wish list would be someone like Pittis since his season is over, except there's the whole waiver thing. But what I don't get is, if his season is over, why would he be subject to AHL waivers? Isn't he just a free agent? People have been mentioning Gionta. Or they won't get anyone. But I think they nned to at this point.

Old
02-25-2005, 06:00 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27
I don't know who they could get. I know a wish list would be someone like Pittis since his season is over, except there's the whole waiver thing. But what I don't get is, if his season is over, why would he be subject to AHL waivers? Isn't he just a free agent? People have been mentioning Gionta. Or they won't get anyone. But I think they nned to at this point.
Where did you see that Pittis was subject to AHL waivers? I'm not aware of any waiver requirement. Just because Pittis' season is over doesn't mean his contract is up. They typically don't expire until April or May. As far as I know the only out Pittis has in his Swiss deal is if he signs an NHL (1-way or 2-way) contract which can't happen without a CBA. He'd have to get permission from his team to sign an AHL contract. It's likely that most of the other players who went to Europe are in the same boat.

Old
02-25-2005, 11:40 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Kevin O's take on Botts calling it a career

02-25-2005, 01:45 PM
amerksflyersfan412*

Send a message via AIM to amerksflyersfan412*
it is very disapointing that he had to retire like this so early, he was one of my favorite players on the team, but good luck to him. he is going to get some sort of degree in michigan. getting gionta would be excellent, but i dont think that will happen. however a player like fitzy or grier would be great. i really want to see mike in an amerks jersey.

Old
02-25-2005, 02:51 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed
Where did you see that Pittis was subject to AHL waivers? I'm not aware of any waiver requirement. Just because Pittis' season is over doesn't mean his contract is up. They typically don't expire until April or May. As far as I know the only out Pittis has in his Swiss deal is if he signs an NHL (1-way or 2-way) contract which can't happen without a CBA. He'd have to get permission from his team to sign an AHL contract. It's likely that most of the other players who went to Europe are in the same boat.
When players come over from Europe, they are subject to AHL waivers. That's how the Amerks acquired Jason Dawe last season. I just figured he signed a 1 year deal and his contract was up, but I could be way off. I figured if he was a FA, it wouldn't make sense for him to go through waivers. It's unlikely anyway. If they sign anyone it'll more likely be Fitzpatrick or Gionta. Fitzpatrick would be a bad signing, as they don't need a defensemen. But he wants to play.

Old
02-25-2005, 03:17 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
When players come over from Europe, they are subject to AHL waivers. That's how the Amerks acquired Jason Dawe last season.
I remember the Dawe deal now. I believe he was bought out by his Euro team during the middle of the season. If the AHL rules are comparable to the NHL's, the player doesn't have to clear waivers if his European season is completed. It's time for someone from the D&C to interview Jody Gage and ask if they're working on anything, and specifically about Pittis.

Old
02-25-2005, 03:35 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed
I remember the Dawe deal now. I believe he was bought out by his Euro team during the middle of the season. If the AHL rules are comparable to the NHL's, the player doesn't have to clear waivers if his European season is completed. It's time for someone from the D&C to interview Jody Gage and ask if they're working on anything, and specifically about Pittis.
I hope you're right, because the Amerks could use a playmaker like him. Roy isn't cutting it. Although I'm not sure if I'd rather see the Amerks get a playmaker like him, or a guy who'd score a lot like Gionta. Vanek has stepped up and Pominville can bury the puck.

Except the more I think about it, the more I realize they'd have no room for Pittis. Unless they wanted to move Roy to a wing like last season.

Old
02-25-2005, 04:36 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
I hope you're right, because the Amerks could use a playmaker like him. Roy isn't cutting it. Although I'm not sure if I'd rather see the Amerks get a playmaker like him, or a guy who'd score a lot like Gionta. Vanek has stepped up and Pominville can bury the puck.

Except the more I think about it, the more I realize they'd have no room for Pittis. Unless they wanted to move Roy to a wing like last season.

Well what wingers are available in Europe? I believe Jean-Guy Trudel signed with a European team and he's had some success in the AHL, no?

Old
02-25-2005, 05:04 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreHomer007
Well what wingers are available in Europe? I believe Jean-Guy Trudel signed with a European team and he's had some success in the AHL, no?
He'd be unbelievable. Puts up even better stats than Pittis. If I had a wish list, he'd be near the top. Doubt it happens, though.

Old
03-01-2005, 03:02 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
He'd be unbelievable. Puts up even better stats than Pittis. If I had a wish list, he'd be near the top. Doubt it happens, though.
Considering this is his second season abroad, it seems unlikely that he'd be the most likely candidate....

Closed Thread