2013 Australian Open

Old
01-22-2013, 12:08 AM
Deficient Mode
Chicago Marina Punk

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Classy post. (in case, there is some doubt)
What wasn't classy about it? I was rooting for the guy today. I reserve the right to express my frustration.

Deficient Mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:09 AM
Novak Djokovic
HAWKS BANDWAGON!

vCash: 500
Quote:
I can't think straight. But, yeah. Assuming I don't go into a coma.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deficient Mode View Post
Yes. Might as well.
Alrighty. I look forward to seeing your guys' reviews tomorrow morning. Keep posting, even if you think no one is reading. Haha.

May the best man win!

Nah, hopefully, it's Novak.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:12 AM
kihei

vCash: 0
Quote:
What wasn't classy about it? I was rooting for the guy today. I reserve the right to express my frustration.
First there is the innuendo. What are the bad things that Almagro aledgedly is? Do inform me, as I haven't noticed any huge character flaws, other than he tightens in matches. Second, under the circumstances, it does seem like kicking a guy when he is down.

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:22 AM
Deficient Mode
Chicago Marina Punk

Quote:
First there is the innuendo. What are the bad things that Almagro aledgedly is? Do inform me, as I haven't noticed any huge character flaws, other than he tightens in matches. Second, under the circumstances, it does seem like kicking a guy when he is down.
He's one of the worst chokers on tour. Abundant talent and fun to watch sometimes, but that was just painful. So many of his matches are painful. I think that's enough, but I'll go on if you want.

He does have some character flaws. It seems to me a lot of guys on tour don't like him. He had that feud with Berdych last year for which he was partly responsible. That's not what I was referring to though.

It's not like he gave a stellar performance against a far superior player at the top of his game today. It's not kicking him when he's down. He had a great chance - countless great chances in fact - and he blew them all. The apparent groin injury was just a postscript to an already miserable match.

But most of all, like I said, when I root for a player I'll usually criticize him if he plays that poorly.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:29 AM
kihei

Sharapova/Makarova off to a good start, 2-2...Maria gets back the break for 4-2....add another break for Maria--Makarova's weak service undermines some of the good aspects about her game by putting her in a constant defensive position, which Maria is now taking full advantage of....Sharapova holds for the set, 6-2.

Last edited by kihei: 01-22-2013 at 12:47 AM.
Old
01-22-2013, 12:36 AM
Evilo

vCash: 632
Quote:
Champions typically are cocky though. Underneath their respective media images of varying degrees of humility, Federer, Djokovic, and Nadal all at least border on cockiness. Chronic injuries set Tommy back a lot more than his attitude. He may have been and still be cocky and a bit of an *******, but he has always worked hard on his game. Tomic on the other hand is a guy whose cockiness has held him back thus far. In the past at least he thought he wouldn't have to work hard to reach the top of the tour.
Nah, Haas's cockiness (probably iniated from everyone around here telling he was the second coming of Laver) did set him back because he was never a guy that gave his all in practice.
He was never the kind of guy that wanted to get better every day, like Feds, Nadal or Djoko.

Evilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:51 AM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
Nah, Haas's cockiness (probably iniated from everyone around here telling he was the second coming of Laver) did set him back because he was never a guy that gave his all in practice.
He was never the kind of guy that wanted to get better every day, like Feds, Nadal or Djoko.
Hey, the only one old enough around here to have done that is me, and I guarantee you I never told Haas any such thing.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:10 AM
kihei

Whatever confidence Makarova had at the start, it is now shredded and she is having difficulty keeping the ball in court, Maria up two breaks in the second, 4-1....and over mercifully fast.

Both Serena and Maria have dominated their matches so far this tournament, but that doesn't make Maria more likely to win the final if she gets there. If Serena concentrates, Serena wins.

Last edited by kihei: 01-22-2013 at 01:22 AM.
Old
01-22-2013, 02:31 AM
17futurecap

3:30 AM, lets do it!

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:32 AM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
3:30 AM, lets do it!
That's the attitude! I'm keeping my eyelids open with toothpicks, but let's go.

Nole may be tired and/or off form, but he is 11-1 versus Berdych overall, 10-zip on hard courts. They have played a lot since 2010 (10 matches), so they are more than familiar with each other's game. Nole in four, methinks.

Set one: Early break to Nole, 2-1. He's not quite in the zone yet, but he is giving every indication that he will be there soon....consolidates the break beautifully for 3-1...another quick break and 10 winners so far, everything looks in fine working order now, 4-1...talk about in the zone now--this is quite an exhibition of elite skill, 5-1...and just like that 6-1. That was worth staying up for. Beautiful set from Nole.

Set two: And, what do you know, Berdych breaks to start the set, 1-0. You could have knocked me over with a feather....now Berdych has pushed his game up a notch, 2-0...some timing problems don't prevent Nole from holding serve for 1-2...Nole having trouble buying a first serve this set...Berdych is controlling much of the play and Nole is doing a lot of stretching for points he can't quite return, 4-2. Fun to watch these guys go at it...another fine service game from Berdych, 5-3...and a well earned hold for Nole, 5-4...berdych wobbled a little, giving up four break opportunities, but played brilliantly when he needed to most, and takes the second set....Anybody's match at this point, though history is on Novak's side, I suppose.

Set three: Novak makes no mistake starting this set, 1-0...Nole's turn to put the pressure on and get the early break, 2-0....back with the upper hand, 3-0....second straight break as Berdych goes missing in action....well, Nole back on the boil in that game, quickly 5-0--Berdych is a funny player--when he plays absent-mindedly, it's hard to believe how great he can be, and when he plays great, it's difficult to comprehend how he can play so loosely....another 6-1 set for Nole, but not the showpiece that the first set was largely because of Berdych's spottier play.

Set four: Berdych starts with a solid service game, 1-0...easy hold for Novak, 1-1...and Nole breaks--even when he doesn't win the point, he is making some fantastic returns on the forehand side and even his scrambly shots seem to be returned with excellent depth so that Berdych is pinned to the baseline....another dominant game as Djokovic utilizes the court so well, 3-1...another easy hold for 4-2. It would be a shock if Tomas rocked the boat at this point...Nole back to playing near flawless tennis, giving another clinic so far, 5-3...Tomas saved three match points before a tiring Nole finally closes it out. A superb performance. Djokovic couldn't ask for better form going into the semis; every single aspect of his game worked brilliantly.

Last edited by kihei: 01-22-2013 at 05:21 AM.
Old
01-22-2013, 03:16 AM
17futurecap

Well that was a clinic.

At least Berdych started with a break here in the second. Great 10th game of the second set here with Berdych trying to take the set. One set all, Berdych saved quite a few break points there.

Last edited by 17futurecap: 01-22-2013 at 04:10 AM.
17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:08 AM
Deficient Mode
Chicago Marina Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
Where is "around here"?

I checked your post history on the subject and it seems you've based your opinion of Haas on meeting him in 1994, when he was 15/16, and from his arrogance then you could tell he was going to be a disappointment. Do you know how ridiculous that sounds? Do you know what Agassi for example was like at a young age?

Like I said, injuries far less severe than his - he twice dropped out of the ATP rankings because he hadn't played for twelve months - have derailed promising careers. Missing a year of what should have been his prime and an unfortunate tendency to choke were the reasons for his underwhelming results, not poor work ethic.

Old
01-22-2013, 04:10 AM
Deficient Mode
Chicago Marina Punk

Clutch play from Berdych to save those break points at 5-4. Nole is rightly frustrated with himself for letting those slip away. One set all.

Old
01-22-2013, 04:13 AM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
Well that was a clinic.

At least Berdych started with a break here in the second. Great 10th game of the second set here with Berdych trying to take the set. One set all, Berdych saved quite a few break points there.
Keep hanging in there. This could take another three hours but, what the hell, in for a penny, in for a pound.

Old
01-22-2013, 05:22 AM
Deficient Mode
Chicago Marina Punk

Too good from Nole all match. Once again just traded blows with a ballbasher and came out on top.

Old
01-22-2013, 07:07 AM
Panteras
perennial loser

vCash: 536
Damn Nole u scary

Panteras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:43 AM
Novak Djokovic
HAWKS BANDWAGON!

Seems like a solid win by Novak. Nice to see him dominate like that!

Ferrer up next.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:26 PM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbian Power View Post
Seems like a solid win by Novak. Nice to see him dominate like that!

Ferrer up next.
I'd bet the house on your guy. The head to head match up (9-5, Nole) makes Ferrer seem more of a threat than he is. Novak has won 5 of the last 6 matches between them and is 4-1 over David in that period on hard courts. Plus, of course, judging from last night, Nole couldn't be in better form and David could hardly be in worse.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:52 PM
Evilo

Quote:
Where is "around here"?

I checked your post history on the subject and it seems you've based your opinion of Haas on meeting him in 1994, when he was 15/16, and from his arrogance then you could tell he was going to be a disappointment. Do you know how ridiculous that sounds? Do you know what Agassi for example was like at a young age?

Like I said, injuries far less severe than his - he twice dropped out of the ATP rankings because he hadn't played for twelve months - have derailed promising careers. Missing a year of what should have been his prime and an unfortunate tendency to choke were the reasons for his underwhelming results, not poor work ethic.
Sorry I meant to write "around him" and I wrote "around here".
Yes I met him in 94 indeed.
And yes already by then you could see he was way too sure of himself.
Agassi was pro at age 16. He was cocky too, but back then, he was all effort too.
Haas didn't show that commitment IMO.

Agassi got out of pro tour many times too, but through his talent AND his work, he got back on top.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:53 PM
Evilo

Quote:
Hey, the only one old enough around here to have done that is me, and I guarantee you I never told Haas any such thing.
Haha, I meant around him.
Around here makes no sense !

Old
01-22-2013, 02:20 PM
MsWoof

Roger's match is the last one again. I've only seen him play once and that's cause I PVR'd it.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:45 PM
Novak Djokovic
HAWKS BANDWAGON!

Quote:
I'd bet the house on your guy. The head to head match up (9-5, Nole) makes Ferrer seem more of a threat than he is. Novak has won 5 of the last 6 matches between them and is 4-1 over David in that period on hard courts. Plus, of course, judging from last night, Nole couldn't be in better form and David could hardly be in worse.
Yeah, I agree. Novak will be the overwhelming favorite, but you never know. I hope it's a routine match so Novak can fully recover for two days afterwards.

Old
01-22-2013, 06:43 PM
kihei

Don't think Kuznetsova has much of a chance against Vika, but I guess I better watch her try after saying how much I missed her in GSs....well, well, it took Svetlana 10 deuces to do it but she finally broke Azarenka, 3-1...Svetlana, both footwork and timing still a work in progress, struggles through several deuces herself but eventually consolidates the break, 4-1...a bad service game from Kuznetsova takes it to 4-3. Her lateral movement seems really restricted; she was never a gazelle before but she got the job done, now she clunks about looking years older than she is....5-5 as Svetlana continues to make a match of it but Vika has perhaps too much game for her in the long run....and indeed Vika wins a 77 minute set 7-5 as Svetlana's slice backhand again finds the net.

It's such an interesting match up to look at. Greek goddess (though an unappealing one somehow) versus potato-dumpling grandmother to be, but Kuznetsova is a pretty good athlete.

Kuznetsova breaks to start the second, a gift from Vika....the good fortune didn't last long, 2-1 Vika in a snap...looking tired, Kuznetsova gives up another break. She is getting no lift whatsoever on her slice backhand with the result that it is seldom clearing the net under pressure--she's up to 20 errors on her backhand side alone, 4-1...and Vika closes it out quickly and economically, 6-1. Kuznetsova showed some fight, especially early in the first set, but the great Earth Mother of Russian tennis isn't what she used to be.

Last edited by kihei: 01-22-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old
01-22-2013, 06:44 PM
Deficient Mode
Chicago Marina Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbian Power View Post
Yeah, I agree. Novak will be the overwhelming favorite, but you never know. I hope it's a routine match so Novak can fully recover for two days afterwards.
If anything having two full days to rest is a disadvantage, just like not having a single day off (at the US Open). Players are accustomed to play every other day at slams, and either more or less down time can throw them off.

Old
01-22-2013, 07:22 PM
kihei

Quote:
If anything having two full days to rest is a disadvantage, just like not having a single day off (at the US Open). Players are accustomed to play every other day at slams, and either more or less down time can throw them off.
Come on. How much of a factor do you really think that is going to be for Nole in this instance?