Old
01-22-2013, 11:57 PM
kihei

vCash: 4632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deficient Mode View Post
There's more than one.

As they say, it takes two to tango.
Well, while we are dealing out the bromides, how about lightning doesn't strike twice in the case of Chardy and Murray. Andy looks like he is going to cruise.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:06 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

vCash: 50
Never thought the day would come when I'd see a top 40 player with a service toss even Verdasco wouldn't envy. Yet here we are.

Deficient Mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:08 AM
kihei

Quote:
Never thought the day would come when I'd see a top 40 player with a service toss even Verdasco wouldn't envy. Yet here we are.
Berdych's simulated overheads are pretty weird.

The ability to retrieve. Andy has that aspect of the game down pat...Chardy gets close then guesses wrong twice on consecutive serves and gets aced both times, 5-1...That is a butcher of a service toss....second set to Andy. Ho hum.

Last edited by kihei: 01-23-2013 at 12:21 AM.
Old
01-23-2013, 12:17 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Berdych's simulated overheads are pretty weird.
Berdych (and Söderling) at least have consistent placement. Like Verdasco, Chardy's toss seems to vary unintentionally by about a meter, and it's almost as unnecessarily high as Berdych's.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:33 AM
kihei

3-zip Andy as the ho hum continues. Yawn...The tennis isn't that bad, in fact, Andy is pretty sharp and Chardy is hit and miss, but the outcome just seems a foregone conclusion...but it is over fairly quickly 4, 1, and 2.

Last edited by kihei: 01-23-2013 at 12:56 AM.
Old
01-23-2013, 01:44 AM
kihei

Less than an hour to Roger/Jo-Wilfried. Hell, if I stay up four more hours, I get to see Gulbis in Heilbronn. I must say I'm a little nervous about this one (the Roger one, not the Ernests one).

Old
01-23-2013, 02:31 AM
kihei

Killing time with statistics:

Federer has now reached 35 consecutive quarterfinals in GS tournaments (Djokovic is a somewhat surprising second with a mere 15).

On the men's side, the six longest points and nine of the longest eleven points occurred in the same match, Simon's win over Monfil. The longest single point lasted 71 strokes (Simon won it)

Ken Rosewall is both the youngest and oldest male player to win the Australian Open, at 18 and 37 years of age respectively (the youngest woman to win was Martina Hingis when she was 16 years old)

In its long history, the Australian Open has been held twice in New Zealand.

The fastest serve this year belongs to Milos Raonic at 233 kmh.

Old
01-23-2013, 02:46 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Federer breaks to open the match. Looking sharp again. Jo usually starts slowly against Roger. May have spoken too soon. Fed is missing all his first serves and making unforced errors off both sides... faces two break points in his second service game but pulls it out.

Oh my. Not what I was hoping for. Gives it back. 3-3.

Last edited by Deficient Mode: 01-23-2013 at 03:06 AM.
Old
01-23-2013, 03:02 AM
kihei

First set: Not a classic so far, 3-2. Roger hasn't served well, but Tsonga, an early break down, isn't playing well enough to take advantage of it....lovely forehand crosscourt return from Tsonga sets up an immediate break opportunity and the set is even, 3-3...bad omen in a way, Tsonga's wayward start didn't cost him...6-5 Tsonga as this mediocre-at-best set closes in on a tie breaker...solid hold from Roger to get there...tie breaker is a different story as Tsonga plays well but Roger plays exceptionally well to take it 7-4. Very smart, efficient play from Federer whereas Jo-Wilfried might set a record for pounding ground strokes into the net at this rate. Nice little chuckle all around when a lineswoman made a great call on a Federer serve that was in by one millionth of an inch.

Second set: second set off to a far better start, both players very sharp, 2-2 with Roger seeing very few second serves so far....Tsonga continues his stellar serving display with a game that took under a minute, 3-3...and gets the first break of the set, 4-3....Tsonga's first serve goes mostly south but he holds at love anyway, 5-3. Roger looking just a little creaky on a couple of recent points....another strong service game nets Tsonga the set. Tsonga was far, far better that set, while Roger started off promisingly, building on the tie breaker, but descended into very spotty play by the end of the set.

Third set: No cause for panic yet, but I wouldn't like to see another set slip away...Tsonga has a little lapse and Roger, playing well at the start of this set, gets a quick break, 2-0...only to give it right back with poor play. Federer is like a struggling pitcher right now trying to find a way to win without having his best stuff, and he is having a very up and down day. This is looking more like the motley first set than the well played second set so far....finding his suddenly AWOL first serve just in the nick of time, Tsonga manages to hold for 2-2....a graphic pointed out Jo-Wilfried had 18 unforced errors off his backhand, now probably up to 20 now; his life is a lot easier when he gets that first serve in, 3-2 Roger..Tsonga holds for 3-3, not much sparkle in Roger's game, very workmanlike...he follows, though, with a dominant hold at love, 4-3...Tsonga answers with a dominant hold of his own--he's winning 80% of his first serves. Roger's turn...and he answers with another strong game, 5-4. Sort of who is going to blink first....well, not Tsonga who serves out another strong game at love....promising start for Tsonga on Roger's serve before Jo-Wilfried royally messed it up, 6-5...Tsonga holds and Roger looks very frustrated, tie breaker time again...Tsonga actually looks like he has more energy but he keeps doing dumb things....and Roger toughs it out. Up to the final three points, you could have flipped a coin, that's how much it was in doubt for awhile.

Fourth set: I get the feeling Roger definitely could be had today, but probably not by Tsonga...Federer looks more focused, ripping a couple of shots with abandon, 1-1...a couple of zinging passing shots help set up a love-40 situation on Tsonga's serve, but Roger can't close the deal, wasting four break point opportunities in all....after some spectacular shot making of his own Tsonga gets to 15-40 on Roger's serve, and then he can't close the deal. Fun set so far...Tsonga holds for 3-2, both players back on the boil...odd service break--Roger was playing his best tennis since the first tie breaker, and then Tsonga just took the game away with stronger play and a little help from Roger, 4-2 Jo-Wilfried...but Tsonga's play drops and coughs up a break (he's in danger of wearing holes in the net)...This is one match that I don't want to see go five sets....uh, oh, Tsonga breaks back--what a mercurial player, from awful to divine in the space of two games, and now he is serving for the fourth set....Tsonga showing great tenaciousness and will power holds serve for the set. That was a dandy. Some great play from both players, but especially Jo-Wilfried in the clutch.

Fifth set: Who knows?...2-1 on serve Federer. The intensity level seems to be taking what will probably be a brief break....Tsonga digs a deep 15-40 hole that he can't get out of this time and Roger gets the break, 3-1...and Federer holds for 4-1, playing strongly despite a couple of loose points...Roger should have had another break there, but let it slip away, 4-2...terrific down the line response by Federer to a good drop shot from Tsonga; Roger holds and is closing in on the finish line now, 5-2....spectacular stretch volley save of the third match point against for Tsonga... a nearly 9 minute game with the best and worst from both players as Tsonga saves 4 match points to make Roger serve it out, which is only appropriate....you can see the pressure on the face of both players but Roger does indeed serve it out. That was one hard-earned win.

Last edited by kihei: 01-23-2013 at 06:30 AM.
Old
01-23-2013, 04:02 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

We've seen this story too many times from Fed recently. Bizarre errors - clipping the tape with forehand or hitting it straight into the net on big points - and an incapability or unwillingness to stay on the offensive over the course of a long rally on serve. Tsonga looks just like he did at Wimbledon 2011: his serve has been untouchable this set, his confidence is growing, and his often baffling decision-making is giving way to his instinctive game. Breaks for *4-3. Serving for the set at *5-4. Another easy hold to even the match.

Old
01-23-2013, 04:18 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Tsonga takes a bathroom break and comes back a little flat. Falls behind 0-30, unreturned serve, then a point at 15-30 which Federer had a chance to win and didn't, but pulls out the chip and charge to great success at 30-30 and draws Tsonga to the net off the return on break point and forces him to miss a volley.

Still not hitting the forehand at all cleanly. 30-0 and four consecutive errors off that side. Back on serve. Disgusting.

Jo serving at 1-2... a long deuce game. Jo's first serve percentage is flagging and he faces a break point... but comes up with three first serves, a couple of big winners, and an important hold. Federer then holds at love for 3-2.

5-5 0-15 and Fed follows up a horrible sitting forehand error with a backhand DTL winner right off a good return. That was Jo's chance, but Fed pulls out three straight points for 6-5. Tsonga also faces 15-30 after a beautiful stab return from Fed and half volley into the open court, and also wins three straight points. Tiebreak.

Two mistakes at net, poor from Jo and poorer from Fed, to exchange minibreaks. 3-3... stab backhand return and perfect passing shot for Fed for another minibreak. 5-3 and Jo rips the forehand return down the line to get it back. 4-5 and it looks like Tsonga has hit an ace... but no Federer challenges successfully and plays two brilliant points for the tiebreak. Wow. That was exciting.

Last edited by Deficient Mode: 01-23-2013 at 04:59 AM.
Old
01-23-2013, 04:40 AM
darko

vCash: 500
Always good to see Serena lose.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:08 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Well Tsonga isn't going away, but it appears Federer found his ground game at the end of the third set and he's not letting it go. Federer gets 0-40 and mis-hits a somewhat routine volley... Tsonga easily saves the next two. Federer gets another but Tsonga saves that too with a big serve and forehand, as well as the next two points. It would have been nice to put him away there. Oh well. Tsonga with some huge returns gets 15-40 himself, which Fed also saves. Both are playing very well right now. 2-2.

Tsonga breaks for *4-2. Well deserved. Only started to play better after losing the third... and of course makes a couple of bad mistakes off the forehand in the next game and Federer is too good right now not to make him pay, breaking right back.

And then plays another flawless game to break. *5-3. There it is. Federer had a chance to get more break back points but he was too tentative with his approach.

Last edited by Deficient Mode: 01-23-2013 at 05:39 AM.
Old
01-23-2013, 06:19 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

What a match. At least the second best of the tournament, and definitely my favorite.

Old
01-23-2013, 06:20 AM
kihei

Quote:
What a match. At least the second best of the tournament, and definitely my favorite.
Pretty good night (and morning) of tennis.

Old
01-23-2013, 06:30 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

10th straight Australian Open semifinal or better for Federer.

I think he'll come out against Murray and play much better right away than he did tonight.

Old
01-23-2013, 06:40 AM
kihei

Gulbis takes the first set 6-1 over Matthias Bachinger, whoever that is. Glad to see Ernests working things out in the minors, not that he probably had a great deal of choice. This is the place to work on his forehand. God, what an awful fixed camera angle, though....Gulbis took the second set, but not without a lot of effort for a 6-2 score. The forehand unfortunately still looks gimpy as hell, and he missed a lot of them.

Now to bed.

Last edited by kihei: 01-23-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Old
01-23-2013, 01:58 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Can't see Murray beating Federer.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:25 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Gulbis takes the first set 6-1 over Matthias Bachinger, whoever that is. Glad to see Ernests working things out in the minors, not that he probably had a great deal of choice. This is the place to work on his forehand. God, what an awful fixed camera angle, though....Gulbis took the second set, but not without a lot of effort for a 6-2 score. The forehand unfortunately still looks gimpy as hell, and he missed a lot of them.

Now to bed.
You can discuss Heilbronn in the other tennis thread. Why not just leave this one for the AO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Can't see Murray beating Federer.
Given where they are in their respective careers and that this surface favors him the most against Federer of any slam event, it will be his best chance yet. I still think Roger will prevail, but there's a reason why Murray is the favorite with the bookies.

Old
01-23-2013, 08:40 PM
kihei

Interesting graphic: Maria has lost only a total of nine games in five matches.

A very focused Li Na is off to a big lead, with two breaks at 4-1. She's controlling the match from the baseline, moving Maria around and conceding very few easy points to her opponent...Maria raises her game a little, but not enough. They trade service breaks and Li, continuing to play strongly despite playing way better on second serve than on first serve, takes the relatively easy set 6-2

In the second set, the first break comes in the fifth game and it goes to Li. Unlike Li with her second serve, Sharapova's second serve has proved a monstrous liability virtually all day, and Li is taking full advantage...a second break for 5-2, especially handy as Li isn't a great closer in big matches....but Li serves it out cool as a cucumber rely a lot on her bread and butter wide serve to the deuce court. A very impressive win from whatever angle you want to look at: tactics, nerve, execution, intensity.

Last edited by kihei: 01-23-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old
01-23-2013, 09:17 PM
17futurecap

Just looked at the doubles draw, and looked at who the Bryan brothers played to get to the final, and they didn't play 1 seeded team, and won't in the final as Sijsling and Haase upset Mark Lopez and Granollers who were the 3 seeds.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:57 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Maria Sharapova is hot. That's really the only interesting thing ever in tennis.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:15 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Great match from Li. Great result.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:17 PM
GQS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Airlines View Post
Maria Sharapova is hot. That's really the only interesting thing ever in tennis.
And now Sharapova is gone.

Li Na utterly and completely OWNED AND DESTROYED HER!

Also I have to say I really love Li Na interviews! Always so funny.

GQS is offline   Reply With Quote